PDA

View Full Version : USA - Canada Car Price Differences

Commanderwiggin
08-14-2006, 02:00 AM
Okay I read a while back about this but I was wondering if there has been anything done about it.

Example: Priced Out a G35 -6mt package
Base Price: 33,800 US - 48,000 CDN

I mean technically it seems it would be cheaper to buy the car in the states and import it right?

It makes no sense right now, our dollar is coming up yet prices of cars are still staying the same.

Could someone fill me in on anything thats being done about this?

Well I also found this website...http://www.naata.org/ lots of info.

RiCE-DaDDy
08-14-2006, 03:12 AM
this is what you need: www.riv.ca

TrevorK
08-14-2006, 10:59 AM
Call up the manufacturer and ensure they will honour the warranty - I'm pretty sure Honda for instance doesn't, while Toyota does.

IhateDomestic
08-14-2006, 11:06 AM
The dollar is not stable, they don't have to change the values... that's why it's smarter to just buy a car in the US and import it

Crymson
08-14-2006, 11:29 AM
you'll need to tack on, i think, 6.1% duty and 6% GST + the 200$ some RIV fee, plus the 100$ A/C fee.

So 33,800 USD, @ 1.14 exchange = 43,194 cdn. Not bad, worth the trip to montana or seattle.

Probably get an amazing deal on a 04 or 05 out of seattle, by buying used.

GreenLude
08-14-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by TrevorK
Call up the manufacturer and ensure they will honour the warranty - I'm pretty sure Honda for instance doesn't, while Toyota does.

Most do, Subaru and Audi honor it. My buddy is a car broker and has imported tons. My brother just got a brand new 2006 STI from the states for less than what the guys in the market place are selling their 03's for.

dezinr
08-14-2006, 11:35 AM
Yeah I had a friend go to Montana to buy his Seadoo....which is ridiculous considering they are made in Canada yet he saved well over 3000 after tax and duty than if he had of purchased it here. He did need an US address as they are not supposed to sell to Canadians for the reason that they are cheaper there.....

I have friends who have also been looking for cars and it does seem more economical to go through the US....personally I want to support CAN but savings like in the case of the Seadoo honestly make you question how supportive to be.

USED1
08-14-2006, 11:38 AM
You don't pay duty on a brand new item due to the free trade act. The only hit you take is on exchange and gst.

max_boost
08-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by USED1
You don't pay duty on a brand new item due to the free trade act. Really, you sure? lol:nut: :dunno: :rofl:

Super_Geo
08-14-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Crymson
So 33,800 USD, @ 1.14 exchange = 43,194 cdn. Not bad, worth the trip to montana or seattle.

I think you should throw your calculator in the garbage. $33800 x 1.14= $38532 ;)

bigboom
08-14-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

I think you should throw your calculator in the garbage. $33800 x 1.14= $38532 ;)

he included the 6.1% duty and 6% gst which you didnt do.

Super_Geo
08-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Nice catch, I stand corrected.

Crymson
08-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Yah i factored in the 12.1% duty, but it's not quite right because the Duty is applied first, then the GST is applied to that number, or vice versa, can't remeber, the difference is negligable though.

GreenLude
08-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by USED1
You don't pay duty on a brand new item due to the free trade act. The only hit you take is on exchange and gst.

You don't pay duty on things made in the US, so most import cars you have to pay. The X5 is an exception cause it's made in a southern state if i remember correctly.

Crymson
08-14-2006, 02:15 PM
I knwo you don't pay duty on any car assembed in the US. But i didn't know about the new cars not having duty either, i don't know if i beleive that or not. Do you have a link to back that up?

Weapon_R
08-14-2006, 02:15 PM
Yes, the X5 is duty exempt and so are a couple other imported makes. A friend of mine just bought an 04 X5 for the same price as many are selling their 00 and 01 models.

USED1
08-14-2006, 02:18 PM
sorry, i forgot to add that vehicles manufactured in the US.

spyce
08-14-2006, 02:40 PM
after reading this thread...makes me wish I went to the states and picked up a G35C.
Coulda saved myself a decent amount of coin! :banghead:

Crymson
08-14-2006, 02:50 PM
I can't think of a car you wouldn't find in both better condition, and cheaper, than in canada -- not to mention the savings alone would pay for a helluva vacation at the same time.

Fly to california, see the sights, get your car, drive back -- boom, car + free vacation. Seems like a deal and a half!

GreenLude
08-14-2006, 03:43 PM
I knwo you don't pay duty on any car assembed in the US. But i didn't know about the new cars not having duty either, i don't know if i beleive that or not. Do you have a link to back that up?

Customs duty is generally based on the price paid for the vehicle at the point of it crossing over into Canada. From all i have read the duty is based on the price of the car so i doesn't matter if it's new or used. There is some info in this PDF from RIV link (http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4140/rc4140-05e.pdf)

I can't think of a car you wouldn't find in both better condition, and cheaper, than in canada -- not to mention the savings alone would pay for a helluva vacation at the same time.

Fly to california, see the sights, get your car, drive back -- boom, car + free vacation. Seems like a deal and a half!

You just need to do your research most new MB's in the US have only MPH on the speedo so you would need to chance that cause there isn't even a KPH as the secondary. Also some MB's require a bumper change (a few grand from the dealer).

Also remember if you buy from a state like Cali or Texas the car may not have a block heater for those sweet Alberta winters

Mangina
08-18-2006, 11:58 AM
You don't pay duty on ANY vehicle made in North America. You pay GST only. Thats what the NAFTA is for. Free Trade suckas!!!!

ianmcc
08-18-2006, 05:53 PM
If memory serves me correctly some Ford dealers in the eastern U.S. a few years ago (in the time of $0.65 Canadian dollars) lost their franchises for buying new cars in Canada then bringing them across and selling them in the U.S.

pinoyhero
08-20-2006, 09:52 AM
Only issues IMO are the hassles of the trasnaction which aren't that bad AND the warranty issue, but I hear some dealership will honor OEM warranty (Rover) while others will not(Honda), does anyone have a list of others...?

xrayvsn
08-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Subaru will honor the warranty.

pinoyhero
08-20-2006, 05:56 PM
^ Good to know, kinda scary buying an Sti used though as they just can't be driven easily....the ybeg to be driven hard...what's the OEM warranty like on STi's bumoer to bumper?

xrayvsn
08-20-2006, 10:29 PM
3yr/36K miles
5yr/60K miles powertrain
5yrs/unlimited rust.

Any used car that is a "performance" car will be driven hard. You think someone who buys a 350Z or S2000 is going to shift at 3000rpm and baby their car? The issue may not be how hard was the car driven, but how you will find one that is not modified in some way. Some mods can cause problems with getting warranty service if the mod caused the problem.

If that is an issue, just buy the car new off the lot. That's what I did - bottom line after exchange, my flight, gas, duty, taxes etc $42K Canadian. The same car in Canada will cost you about $54K out the door, and that is without the options I got (boost gauge, short throw shifter, titanium shift knob and subwoofer). hell, I think I paid less for a new car than I would have buying a used one from Canada.

My thread on the whole experience importing a Subaru from the US can be found here:
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=135570

GreenLude
08-23-2006, 09:57 AM
^^^ My brother just got an 06 STI from the states and it's really pretty easy to get them. He ended up paying a little less than Xrayvsn did but didn't get as many options. After looking at the used market i don't see why anyone wouldn't go get one from the states

tulit
08-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by xrayvsn
Subaru will honor the warranty.

From someone I was talking to recently *in the know*, SOC is planning on pulling warranty on US market cars for this reason...

DoubleLP
08-23-2006, 10:57 AM
Well the car companies should get their shit together and fix those prices because more and more people are going to be importing their vehicles from the states. But it does not just apply to cars. A lot of stuff is the same. Just take a look at e-bay. You can get pretty well anything for a lot cheaper then you would buying here it Canada.

xrayvsn
08-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by tulit

From someone I was talking to recently *in the know*, SOC is planning on pulling warranty on US market cars for this reason...

$10 - 12K difference will buy a lot of warranty service over 3 - 5 years... Besides, the warranty is not through SoC. You get warranty service through SoA still. SoC doesn't pay for it since they don't get involved. Dealers call SoA to clear the warranty work.

Most of these cars get modified anyway, so the major stuff that ends up breaking may not be covered by either SoC or SoA.

Originally posted by GreenLude
^^^ My brother just got an 06 STI from the states and it's really pretty easy to get them. He ended up paying a little less than Xrayvsn did but didn't get as many options. After looking at the used market i don't see why anyone wouldn't go get one from the states

I bought my car when the US/CDN exchange was $1.14 - $1.15. I would have saved another $1000 or so if I had waited for 2 weeks to exchange my Cdn $. The price of the USD dropped to $1.10 - $1.11 shortly after I exchanged my money :banghead:

arian_ma
08-23-2006, 03:01 PM
It's not just new cars...a lot of older cars are like this too.
Inflation sux my balls.
I will be saving something like $9000 buying the car I am going to get from the states. (And it's not new!)

Kavy
08-24-2006, 04:57 AM
I actually am buying an 2.5i SE from great falls total in the car is 19,899 canadian fully loaded without GST and border fees. That means I am saving 9000 for the exact same car as i could buy here in calgary, only thing that needs to be changed it DTR according to RIV. Speedo is a non issue i was informed, however it has taken me almost a month to work everything out with RIV. A month is worth 9 grand if you ask me. Subby does validate the warrenty as stated above.

Seriously right now on certain cars you can save a shit load, wrx = 24,900, thats 8 grand savings as well there.