PDA

View Full Version : Golf tips.

snowboard
08-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Ok i got a company golf tournament on wendsday.
and it just so happens me having a handicap of like.. 100. i got put into a foursome, with the big boss man. I'm not worried about being around him or anyhting, not a big company, and hes a super nice guy. but im worried about making a fool out of myself attemtping to golf infront of him.

anyone got any good tips or pointers in getting rid of my slice?

i know this much.

feet shoulder width apart, knees bent, front arm must be straight when you make contact with the ball, and your not supposed to try and watch where it goes as fast as you can. o and no turning your body.

haha anything else? fuck im nervous. keep in mind im 6'4" and will be using someone elses clubs. haha fuckkkkkkk.

~Leah~
08-14-2006, 02:25 PM
I was trying to teach my boyfriend's mom...

Since there are so many things to remember... I tried a kinda reverse thing.

Shoulders, elbows, hips (backswing)
Hips, elbows, shoulders

So... start the movement with your shoulders (instead of the wrists like a lot of beginners do), then keep your front arm straight in the back swing and turn your hips through, then turn your hips all the way through the other way on your downswing, along with straightening the front elbow and following through to your shoulders.

Shoulders, elbows, hips....hips, elbows, shoulders

That's my "easy" way of remembering good form of a swing.... other than that... I guess have fun! haha

lint
08-14-2006, 02:30 PM
how do you expect to swing the club without turning your body?

snowboard
08-14-2006, 02:33 PM
well like your not supposed to turn your whole body. cause i do that sometimes, and the it curves to the way my back is facing.

see im asking for tips. so correct me if im wrong?

Thanks for the info leah, ill keep that in ming

The Cosworth
08-14-2006, 02:39 PM
I found that I was pulling becasue I was trying to kill the ball and move my hips

try just to hit it, very calm, go to the driving range and pretend you are practising the motion of hitting the ball but without any muscle (sounds weird but if you get it to work you'll know what i mean)

if you try to use your arms legs hips whatever to hit it you will not have a proper contact

hope this makes sense, makes sense to me but sounds a little confusing

lint
08-14-2006, 02:58 PM
I think there are 2 major causes of slicing the ball:

1. Your swing comes from the outside in, so you cut the ball putting side-spin. One simple move to help correct this is the drop your back foot back slightly (right toe lined up with left heel) and to open it up slightly. What this will do is promote an inside out swing plane, which may help you straighten out your shot.

2. Guys especially like to muscle the ball, bigger swing the better. And what tends to happen is the legs and body get too far ahead in the swing, and your arms are left to catch up. If you can't snap your wrists fast enough, the club head will be left open, resulting in a slice. So I try to concentrate on letting my hands lead the swing. And don't worry about looking for where the ball is going until the swing is complete. That's what the other golfers in your 4-some are for.

snowboard
08-14-2006, 03:15 PM
Damn see thats what im looking for, thanks guys.

lint
08-14-2006, 03:22 PM
oh, one more thing you can try is strengthen your grip. Do this my rolling your hands more to the right at address. ie you should see more of the back of your left hand. This may help you square the club at impact as well.

You've got 2 days to practice, better get cracking.

snowboard
08-14-2006, 03:24 PM
i was already out this weekend practicing :D
i used to be good, but go to busy to play. owell my boss is good so maybe he will help me out.

thanks for the help so far guys.

The Cosworth
08-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by lint
2. Guys especially like to muscle the ball, bigger swing the better. And what tends to happen is the legs and body get too far ahead in the swing, and your arms are left to catch up. If you can't snap your wrists fast enough, the club head will be left open, resulting in a slice. So I try to concentrate on letting my hands lead the swing. And don't worry about looking for where the ball is going until the swing is complete. That's what the other golfers in your 4-some are for.

damn nice summary... thats what I was trying for..

Thanks

:thumbsup:

~Leah~
08-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Oh yeah, keep telling yourself when you're swinging, because you'll want to kill the ball as mentioned before, that there is no such thing as swinging too slow. There's no way you're gonna pussy right out, you know that, but keep telling yourself, there's no such thing as too slow.

And keep your head down until you contact the ball.

I don't know if this happens to men, but any women I have taught, this one has helped a lot with iron play. I take my practice swing (do my 2 swing routine, brushing the grass nicely)... then when I go to hit the ball, I line up the heel of my club with the middle of the ball, which in turn causes me to actually contact the center of the club. I have no idea why, and I haven't met a guy who this has effected yet, but just in case you don't feel you're hitting the ball purely, give it a try. If not, oh well, at least you tried.

lint
08-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
Oh yeah, keep telling yourself when you're swinging, because you'll want to kill the ball as mentioned before, that there is no such thing as swinging too slow. There's no way you're gonna pussy right out, you know that, but keep telling yourself, there's no such thing as too slow.

And keep your head down until you contact the ball.

I don't know if this happens to men, but any women I have taught, this one has helped a lot with iron play. I take my practice swing (do my 2 swing routine, brushing the grass nicely)... then when I go to hit the ball, I line up the heel of my club with the middle of the ball, which in turn causes me to actually contact the center of the club. I have no idea why, and I haven't met a guy who this has effected yet, but just in case you don't feel you're hitting the ball purely, give it a try. If not, oh well, at least you tried.

I was watching the golf channel, and they were talking about this very point. That many players will line the club up with the heel for a center face hit. I think it's because the downswing and contact position is not the same as address, and you actually compact your arms slightly when down swinging. I think it tends to be more pronounced with longer clubs (3-5 iron, 3 wood, driver)

Defintely worth a try.

snowboard
08-15-2006, 04:31 PM
yah my step`dad `told me that, and to not set the club down before my backswing but to let it hover behind the ball. and it works too! i was doing half decent at the range yesterday, like how i used to be able to golf.

thanks for all the tips, and wish me luck tommorow haha.

hussein
08-15-2006, 04:34 PM
My tip would be to take alot of extra golf balls. ;) lol.

Good luck

Lo)2enz0
08-15-2006, 06:18 PM
when your hitting, don't let your head move. hold it still on the ball until you know 100% for sure that you made contact and that ball went flying. also check your grip, make sure your not begging for money and your hand looks like this:

http://www.cureaslice.com/golfpix/golfgrip1.jpg

with me i can get the ball on the green in an average of 2-3 hits pending the distance but putting kills me. work on your putting just before you guys head out.

with just doing these 3 things you should be shotting between 80-90

SuPhistiKatEd
08-15-2006, 11:02 PM
Having a solid grip can make a huge difference. Make sure the grip runs along the point where the bottom of your fingers and your palm meet. Don't squeeze too hard or too soft, try to find that happy medium. This will come with practice. As well, grip as close to the butt-end as possible.

In regards to the best stance, this is the way I set myself up. It's not the most comfortable stance at first, but this has helped my game so much.

http://www.lsmgolf.com/sotm/july2002/jim-stance2.jpg

Keep your back straight, legs slightly bent, ass out, and most importantly, relax your arms and shoulders. The final step in your stance is to transfer your weight to the arches of your feet. Simply bend your knees in a bit.

Take a second to relax and just swing! Hope this helps.

nosegrindR
08-16-2006, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by lint
I think there are 2 major causes of slicing the ball:

1. Your swing comes from the outside in, so you cut the ball putting side-spin. One simple move to help correct this is the drop your back foot back slightly (right toe lined up with left heel) and to open it up slightly. What this will do is promote an inside out swing plane, which may help you straighten out your shot.

another way to fix this problem greatly is having a proper swing plane.

when pulling back for your backswing, you want to sweep the club back. For a quick drill, put a golf ball 10-12 inches behind your striking ball, parallel to your target. when you wind up for your backswing, try contact the ball behind you so that it goes straight behind you. i know it feels awkward at first and it looks a little weird, but man did that ever help cure my slice.

snowboard
08-17-2006, 08:15 AM
Well, i faired alright. They made me Drive first :thumbsdow
But some how, after i stopped shaking from being nervous, with like 3 Four somes watching i fuckin drilled it, and we used my drive on the first hole :D

Thanks for your help ladies and gentle men.