PDA

View Full Version : how far back do I go on my resume?

b_t
08-15-2006, 12:28 AM
I can't remember this at all from my courses on it

How far back in time do I go on my resume? three jobs, four jobs, six jobs, 4 years, 5 years???? if I go all the way back to when I started working, it looks like I couldn't hold down a job to save my life since there is like seven or eight on here even tho most of them were held at the same time

glennc
08-15-2006, 12:32 AM
Dont go in years, job numbers, ect.

Pick the jobs that best fit experience needed for the job you are applying to.

b_t
08-15-2006, 12:33 AM
ha NONE

uhhh is there a different kind of resume I fill out if I am fresh out of business school and trying to crack the industry?

edit: man are you sure I only show relevant work experience? If I do that, I've got these huge gaps on my resume from all the time between my white collar (summer) jobs from the crappy jobs I worked over the winter time

BlackArcher101
08-15-2006, 12:45 AM
If you are lacking relative work experience, then create a resume showing your skills, either through personal experience or school.

Audio_Rookie
08-15-2006, 01:07 AM
Dont make it larger than one page.

I found I can make damn near any previous job look somewhat related to the one im applying for.

pointing out the fact that I had to be effecient in my previous job, use some critical thinking, work on a deadline, work as a team with other people, and work well on my own, I could manage my time well and was dedicated by shoing up on time every day ect...

Although....the way my resume looks depends on the job. Im not gonna make it look all cute and professional if im applying for the rigs or big all's mechanic shop...then its no b/s.

ashee
08-15-2006, 01:40 AM
Use jobs you excelled at most, will give you the best references and that you were at for good periods of time.

Si_FlyGuy
08-15-2006, 06:56 AM
Focus on transferrable skills and the universal skill sets that they're looking for. These can be found in the ad usually, or with a quick phone call.

cmodem
08-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Cover Letter Cover Letter Cover Letter.

The Cover Letter is the one that when they read has to be catching.

A Resume is not more then 2 pages at least one page. Put only relevant information.

If the cover letter is no good i bet you they won't even look at your resume.

GTS Jeff
08-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by b_t
ha NONE

uhhh is there a different kind of resume I fill out if I am fresh out of business school and trying to crack the industry?

edit: man are you sure I only show relevant work experience? If I do that, I've got these huge gaps on my resume from all the time between my white collar (summer) jobs from the crappy jobs I worked over the winter time

You're basically fucked. And yes, only relevant job experience. Having Panago Pizza Artist on an application for Project Manager won't get you very far. It actually pisses off the hiring manager.

Originally posted by cmodem
Cover Letter Cover Letter Cover Letter.

The Cover Letter is the one that when they read has to be catching.

A Resume is not more then 2 pages at least one page. Put only relevant information.

If the cover letter is no good i bet you they won't even look at your resume.

No one reads the cover letter during initial screening. The first thing that is read the work experience field.

Celica TVS3
08-15-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

You're basically fucked.

That's being a little harsh. If your just out of school, and i'm assuming you don't mean an MBA program, you'll have to 'crack the industry' by taking an entry level job. It might not be what you had pictured but it gives you a chance to get some relvent skills on your resume in the industry you want to be in.

What kind of job/industry are you looking to get into?

Si_FlyGuy
08-15-2006, 01:54 PM

No one reads the cover letter during initial screening. The first thing that is read the work experience field.

No one ever believes me whenever I mention that when a recruiter has 100+ resumes to go thru, he/she doesn't bother with the letter.

LEB MAFIA
08-15-2006, 01:59 PM
I always write reference availabble upon request
*they never asked for any yet and ive been through 4 jobs this summer :bigpimp:

~Leah~
08-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by LEB MAFIA
I always write reference availabble upon request
*they never asked for any yet and ive been through 4 jobs this summer :bigpimp:
Lucky for you I guess then... I wouldn't be too proud of that personally.

Anyway, just as what has been said, only put relavant work experience on. If you don't have the experience, you damn well better talk up your skills BIG TIME.

Unknown303
08-15-2006, 03:32 PM
Yeah stick with relavent job experience, if you have none maybe you aren't thinking hard enough, if you had leading roles in any jobs if you had to make decisions based on other things that take place. Theres lots of things every job has that could be considered a transferable skill.

If you are just breaking into the industry then it might be wise to get in an entry level position and get yourself noticed by the right people for good work ethics and determination to excel. Things like that go a long way.

Cover letters do seem to be a waste a lot of the time, just a single page resume that covers all the important information.

b_t
08-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Alright so I've written it out and I emphasis skills for everything... so I don't even describe each job past the title, just talk about the skills it improved for me. I put my education stuff first too so that should work.

I'm trying to get an entry level job with a small oil and gas industry company here in Cochrane or some other upstart companies in Calgary just so I can start out at a crappy job probably a junior buyer or records management or something and then work my way up to middle management within 3-5 years

GTS Jeff
08-15-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Celica TVS3

That's being a little harsh. If your just out of school, and i'm assuming you don't mean an MBA program, you'll have to 'crack the industry' by taking an entry level job. It might not be what you had pictured but it gives you a chance to get some relvent skills on your resume in the industry you want to be in.

What kind of job/industry are you looking to get into? It's very very hard to find an employer willing to take a fresh grad with zero work experience. One way around this is to get paid like shit...another way is to get experience while in school by doing internships and stuff.

LEB MAFIA
08-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Volunteeriing is always a good reference

Celica TVS3
08-16-2006, 04:01 PM
It's very very hard to find an employer willing to take a fresh grad with zero work experience. One way around this is to get paid like shit...another way is to get experience while in school by doing internships and stuff.

It looks like he is past the internship while in school phase. Yeah, he may have to pick up a crap job that pays like shit for a while but that's part of the process.

If that's what you have to do to get into the industry, that's what you have to do.

Post your resume on here for constructive criticism. It never hurts to have people look at it before you start sending it out. Delete your contact information if it makes you feel more comfortable.

GTS Jeff
08-16-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Celica TVS3

It looks like he is past the internship while in school phase. Yeah, he may have to pick up a crap job that pays like shit for a while but that's part of the process.

If that's what you have to do to get into the industry, that's what you have to do.

Post your resume on here for constructive criticism. It never hurts to have people look at it before you start sending it out. Delete your contact information if it makes you feel more comfortable. Crap job, shit pay = fucked. :D

But IMO, don't bother posting your resume here. WTF do a bunch of kids on Beyond know. Go to a career counselor.

b_t
08-16-2006, 04:17 PM
hm I don't need a career counseler yet, I am still in school for another two years... I have graduated from SAIT with my business diploma, now I'm doing night courses to get my degree, and instead of just doing internships during the summer I'm trying to get a real job I can build into a future career

I got an interview tomorrow so I'll see how it turns out

pinoyhero
08-16-2006, 04:36 PM
Beware of skipping things when creating your resume, unexplained gaps can be a quick ticket to the garbage can for you're resume.