PDA

View Full Version : wat the heck cms!

sh0ko
08-15-2006, 04:36 PM
no offence guys but i just got my mr2 back from u guys and all you guys did was retighten hoses and readjust the afm?! i could have done that and i was charged 90 bux for it. that barry told me he couldnt hook up his diagnostics machine to it cuz it was jdm and i just phoned strd and they called bs and the guy said he hooked up his easily he just had to get the flash cards for it. my car is still running rich and eating gasoline like nothing. barry also said there was nothing he could do but those 2 things.. anybody think i got screwed?!

kevie88
08-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Not really, 90$ is 1 hour labor these days. Sounds like they prolly spent around an hour on it.

sh0ko
08-15-2006, 04:46 PM
no i understand but they didnt do ANYTHING to the car to fix it it runs the exact same as before

sh0ko
08-15-2006, 04:47 PM
and tightening hoses and readjusting an afm takes an hour?!

Honda_002
08-15-2006, 04:47 PM
yep, anyone who has worked in a shop knows how this goes.
Nothing is free, and things take time, its not all wam bam shizzam. 90 bux is probably reasonable.

sh0ko
08-15-2006, 04:49 PM
still a piss off though how he said he cant figure anything out or do it when strd says yah all u need to do is this and we just did it

Sharpie
08-15-2006, 04:49 PM
Well if you could of tighted hoses and adjusted you afm why didn't you do that is the first place?

FivE.SeveN
08-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Hey bro Ive been following your MR2 story, sux! Here's some ideas too:

-AFM (duh)
-O2 sensors - if those go, ECU dumps more fuel in 'just to be sure'
-Injector stuck open?
-Check exhaust for holes

Exhaust relates to O2 sensor actually, but same idea, if the sensor sees too much oxygen in the exhaust, it adds more fuel. Even if that o2 is coming from outside air thru a hole.

Finally.. is the ECU throwing you any codes?

sh0ko
08-15-2006, 04:52 PM
Well if you could of tighted hoses and adjusted you afm why didn't you do that is the first place?

my afm was adjusted and my hoses i thought were fine when i checked em... i was asking them to bascially do a full check to c if im leaking or wat not and the guy told me we cant do anytrhing to the car but those 2 things

sh0ko
08-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Hey bro Ive been following your MR2 story, sux! Here's some ideas too:

-AFM (duh)
-O2 sensors - if those go, ECU dumps more fuel in 'just to be sure'
-Injector stuck open?
-Check exhaust for holes

Exhaust relates to O2 sensor actually, but same idea, if the sensor sees too much oxygen in the exhaust, it adds more fuel. Even if that o2 is coming from outside air thru a hole.

Finally.. is the ECU throwing you any codes?

yah sorry guys im just a little frustrated with this problem cuz ive been chasing things down for a while now and still nothing is solved.....

my afm is brand spanking new and was just readjusted by cms. my injectors were tested (so my mech says) and he says theyre not leaking or spraying incorrectly (i used a injector cleaner several times juist to be safe) my exhaust is a ok ! and my ecu was tested and fine too . however strd told me recheck the injectors and see if theyre shot as well as my fuel pressure regulator .. i havent checked my o2 sensor but im gonna replace that this weekend

FivE.SeveN
08-15-2006, 04:58 PM
5 bux says its your o2 sensor then. ;)

I only know about fuel problems 'cause my Z was eating tons as well when I first got 'er. At least, I thought it was. I did all the checks until I found out it was the fuel gauge that was off...

(My little bro lol'ed at me. "of course it eats gas, twin turbo and fuel economy don't go together." )

It IS actually running rich, yes? Black smoke and all that?

sh0ko
08-15-2006, 05:04 PM
it is running rich! cms tightend the hoses and readjusted the afm and it stopped spitting lots of black smoke and is more clean.. it did use to spit out fuel itself from the exhaust but thats kind of gone too so cms more than likely helped with that but what weirds me out is i did tighten the hoses and readjusted the afm last mth and it still did that.

infected
08-15-2006, 07:13 PM
So they did do something to help fix your car.
Way to change stories??

Team_Mclaren
08-15-2006, 08:23 PM
expected too much for 90bucks?

If you called strd why didn't you bring it there to get it fix? Oh, and let us know how much they charge you as well.

What i'm saying is, nothing comes cheap man. 90/hour is a reasonable shop rate. If you could've done what they did then why couldn't you fix the black smoke?

Evro
08-15-2006, 08:28 PM
i remember when i went to CMS and i told them the headers they were selling me wouldnt fit (didnt have o2 bung) but they insisted - and i quote "you dont acutally need an o2 sensor, your VTEC will just be weaker" <--- haha good one buddy

that was the end of CMS for me

if they didnt know what they were doing they shouldnt have done anything and you shouldnt have been charged

Honda_002
08-15-2006, 08:40 PM
yeah but thats a ignorant comment to make. first they have to pull the car into the shop open the hood check shit, find where the diagnostics plug into so on and so on, so he probably spent a good 20 minutes just looking for it, then he probably couldnt find the port or w/e, so then maybe he did a little research on database or whatever and still couldnt find anything, and thus he tried to make your 90 bux worth something by checking your fluids, topping them up, tightening hoses, and so on. So really your 90 bux was justified. And alot of times model makes and so on look compatible on the computer, but alot of times the computer says one thing, when really in reality the car isnt the same one in the database, because computers get oudated. So in conclusion he had to charge you an hour of labour, and thus in that hour the following things were accomplished. Everyone just thinks that shops try to screw them over, but the truth of it is, that he wasnt gonna pop your hood magically plug the diagnostic machine into a hole that is right there, sometimes these things can be hard to get to and so on.

there sorry for the long post, I just feel the need to validate SOME shops. Especially cms, because they are the shiet yo!

Sharpie
08-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Evro

if they didnt know what they were doing they shouldnt have done anything and you shouldnt have been charged
Wow reeding pwns joo.

Buddy took it there they worked on it go it running better than before. I garantee you anyother place would of charged more than 90 bucks.

Honda_002
08-15-2006, 08:50 PM
yeah and they werent just gonna be like " oh well we only tightened your hoses and blah blah blah so we wont charge you anything," if cms did that they would go out of buisness, thats just how shops make money

sh0ko
08-15-2006, 08:50 PM
expected too much for 90bucks?

If you called strd why didn't you bring it there to get it fix? Oh, and let us know how much they charge you as well.

no i honestly was expecting like to pay a shit load more cuz i was expecting them to spend the time to figure out whats wrong with it and fix it 100 completely if i needed this then fine and if i needed this then fine ill pay for it but dont tell me you cant work on it cuz its jdm (they did several engine swaps for justins jdm mr2 engine why cant they work on mine?!)

first they have to pull the car into the shop open the hood check shit, find where the diagnostics plug into so on and so on, so he probably spent a good 20 minutes just looking for it, then he probably couldnt find the port or w/e, so then maybe he did a little research on database or whatever and still couldnt find anything, and thus he tried to make your 90 bux worth something by checking your fluids, topping them up, tightening hoses, and so on.

see like i said i hope ppl understand why im a little frustrated i dont hate cms im just frustrated with them... like i said cms gave me a kick ass deal on products but the diagnostics and wat not?! they told me they didnt even bother plugging int the diagnostics cuz it was jdm and it was impossible for them and none of my fluids were checked... they "played it by ear and eye" and saw the hoses were loose sio they just tightened it

sh0ko
08-15-2006, 08:52 PM
and honda_002 i 100% agree with u if they did that... but from what the guy was telling me it sounded like none of that was done

Honda_002
08-15-2006, 08:53 PM
yeah and thats the whole computer thing. The computer says mr2, so they say yeah we can do it, they get the car and realise its jdm and thus they couldnt work on it

Honda_002
08-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by sh0ko
and honda_002 i 100% agree with u if they did that... but from what the guy was telling me it sounded like none of that was done
lack of communication between the guy at the desk and the mechanic:dunno:

Team_Mclaren
08-15-2006, 08:57 PM
wow, you're making it sounds like diagnostic is easy. I see where you are comming from, you wanted everything fixed and running but they werent able to even plug in the computer.

but the thing is, you can't just assume everything is easy and works right away. I'm not surprise that their computer is not compable with the jdm engine.

sh0ko
08-15-2006, 08:58 PM
yah well shit happens.. nothing i can do now ^_^ *sigh* strd is gnona look at it for free for me then ima go from there.. but thanx for the input everybody i know most ppl disagree and some agree with me.. but like i said im just really frustrated with this ongoing problem in my car and i cant pin point where the hell it is !!! *sigh* any help would be mostly appreciated

sh0ko
08-15-2006, 09:04 PM
yeah and thats the whole computer thing. The computer says mr2, so they say yeah we can do it, they get the car and realise its jdm and thus they couldnt work on it

yah c i understand that but they new it was a rhd b4 they brought it in =(

Team_Mclaren
08-15-2006, 09:17 PM
problem solved

:closed: by request