PDA

View Full Version : Just moved - How to determine my car's value?

cliff21
08-15-2006, 05:51 PM
Hello,

I just moved to Edmonton to attend school and intend to sell my family's car in the next few weeks. As this is my first time doing this, I'm a bit overwhelmed at what to do. I browsed through some sites (this site, autotrader.ca, driving.canada.com, craiglist) in order to get an idea of what to ask for, but I'm still not any clearer on how I can determine my car's value. It's a 2002 black 4D VW Jetta GLS with only 45,000 km. Excellent condition, and includes things like AC, power windows/mirrors, etc.

I'm a bit confused as many of the listings I've seen so far are from dealers, not individuals, so I'm presuming the price would be different for a private sale. If anyone could give me some advice on reliable sites/resources I could look at in order to determine an asking price, I'd be most grateful!

Cheers,

cliff21

k98303
08-15-2006, 11:41 PM
autotrader.ca
just compare to other cars
or ask a bit more from the price of that the dealer wants for your car if u want to sell it privately

k98303
08-15-2006, 11:42 PM
autotrader.ca
just compare to other cars
or ask a bit more from the price of that the dealer wants for your car if u want to sell it privately

LEB MAFIA
08-15-2006, 11:46 PM
Even buysell.com :burnout:

Tik-Tok
08-16-2006, 09:23 AM
Go to the Toyota.ca website, go to the "price your trade-in link", its Canadian Black Book values...

This is your "trade-in" price, so take this #, and what dealers are selling your car for, and sell it for somewhere in between.

arian_ma
08-16-2006, 10:13 AM
I'd say your car is worth upwards of $16k. I don't know much about the VW but a friend of mine bought the exact same car with a bit higher KM for $15k IIRC but they bargained their balls off.

lint
08-16-2006, 10:25 AM
you can get black book value (and retail estimate) here as well

http://www.vmrcanada.com/value_menus/canprices/02vojeta.htm

cliff21
08-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm still open to any other ideas...

cliff21
08-28-2006, 04:19 PM
I've submitted the ad to autotrader but am having some second thoughts on the price. Do you think $19,500 is a reasonable (opening) asking price? I'm prepared to go lower but at the same time do not want to turn people off with an unreasonable figure. Dealers are charging around $21-$22k, though most of their Jettas have higher mileage, though some do come with limited warranty. Thanks again for any imput!!

rc2002
08-28-2006, 04:39 PM
You have the right idea charging just below what dealers do. You'll never be able to ask the same price dealers do because a lot of them have a huge customer base and a good reputation so they can stand behind the car that they sell. A lot of people feel more comfortable and secure buying from a big dealership too.

For the price, last time I advertised in the trader they let me change my price as many times as I want. Start high and then lower the price if you don't get any bites.