PDA

View Full Version : How can you track someone down with a licence plate #?

Slow5Oh
08-15-2006, 05:57 PM
How? and not involve the police?

I was a victim of a DUI and the police & my insurance co. said that since it was a DUI and a stolen car I would likely never see anything from the other insurance company (I have a hard time beleiving it was stolen from their parents........the person's mommy & daddy let junior take it out with his pals & they fucked up).

Basically I don't have collision coverage on one of my cars that was hit (yes both...what are the odds) so I'm screwed & it's a writeoff.

Oh and no, the info of the retard that hit me was not on the police report they took him away quick. There is only my info & that of the damaged cars.

Thank you.

ryder_23
08-15-2006, 07:02 PM
If the car that hit you is currently insured...I didnt think there was an issue.

MrSector9
08-15-2006, 07:04 PM
yeah stolen or not your car was damaged by an insured car. doesnt liability cover this?

Traffic_Cop
08-15-2006, 08:30 PM
Contact Alberta Govenment, Victims of Crime Financial Benefits :-

http://www.solgen.gov.ab.ca/victim/financial_benefits.aspx

They are very good to deal with and you should qualify, just fill out the forms, send it in, you should see some benefits. Make sure you have the Police Report. (TSS)

PS...to everyone who "bitches" about tickets, this is where your additional 15% surcharge goes too.

Thaco
08-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop

They are very good to deal with and you should qualify, just fill out the forms, send it in, you should see some benefits. Make sure you have the Police Report. (TSS)

PS...to everyone who "bitches" about tickets, this is where your additional 15% surcharge goes too. i did this for a window busted when some retard stole my deck... filled out a bu8nch of forms and stuff, never saw a penny.

Traffic_Cop
08-15-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
i did this for a window busted when some retard stole my deck... filled out a bu8nch of forms and stuff, never saw a penny.

Probably because it was under $500.00. I was once had my car hit & run in a parking lot, they were awesome to deal with.

Give it a shot....you have nothing to lose.

Slow5Oh
08-15-2006, 08:48 PM

PS...to everyone who "bitches" about tickets, this is where your additional 15% surcharge goes too.

Awsome, thanks man!

Who?
08-16-2006, 01:39 PM

Probably because it was under $500.00. I was once had my car hit & run in a parking lot, they were awesome to deal with.

Give it a shot....you have nothing to lose. Nah, this is why:

The following are not eligible for benefits:

* individuals who are charged and convicted of an offence as a result of the incident.
* secondary victims such as family members of the victim or witnesses to the crime.
* victims of motor vehicle or property offences such as impaired driving or break and entry.

403Gemini
08-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Lemme get this clear?

the kid that hit your vehicle was driving his parents car?

guess what? its not stollen then. Even if the parents didnt give him permission it is still not considered stolen and never can be considered stollen. since he lives in the same household as his folks (which i assume) it is "implied consent" and the other insurance company (the one the kids parents are insured under) needs to cover this.

DayGlow
08-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
Lemme get this clear?

the kid that hit your vehicle was driving his parents car?

guess what? its not stollen then. Even if the parents didnt give him permission it is still not considered stolen and never can be considered stollen. since he lives in the same household as his folks (which i assume) it is "implied consent" and the other insurance company (the one the kids parents are insured under) needs to cover this.

Not really. It maybe hard to hit them with the outright theft charge, but there is the Criminal Code charge of Take Vehicle Without Owner Consent. This is used all the time for exactly this instance. Someone that may have used the vehicle in the past, but did not have permission to take it this time, especially if the parents specifically told the kid that they could not take the vehicle out or don't have normal access to it.

403Gemini
08-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow

Not really. It maybe hard to hit them with the outright theft charge, but there is the Criminal Code charge of Take Vehicle Without Owner Consent. This is used all the time for exactly this instance. Someone that may have used the vehicle in the past, but did not have permission to take it this time, especially if the parents specifically told the kid that they could not take the vehicle out or don't have normal access to it.

insurance companies will USUALLY still go under the parents policy though. sad but true.

if he(the kid) used the vehicle before then it will most likely fall under the parents liability.

only way under the general provisions, definitions and exclusions would the vehicle NOT fall under his parents liability is if the parents charged the kid with theft of the vehicle

nadroj23
08-16-2006, 03:03 PM
^^^ yes would fall under his parents unless they get the son charged with theft then he would be on his own.

Dayclone
08-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Isn't taking someones license plate and tracking them down through a program illegal under some privacy act of Canada or Alberta? Only the cops can do it and when they do they have a good reason to?

Steve

Billet
08-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Dayclone
Isn't taking someones license plate and tracking them down through a program illegal under some privacy act of Canada or Alberta? Only the cops can do it and when they do they have a good reason to?

Steve

sure if a good reason is cause they want to know.

Slow5Oh
08-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by nadroj23
^^^ yes would fall under his parents unless they get the son charged with theft then he would be on his own.

Spoke to the police last night & yes he was charged with theft & DUI as well as a few other offences.

Slow5Oh
08-16-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Dayclone

Steve

Only reason I wanted it was because the police were not giving any of us his information (insurance, parents name, etc) so no body could file a claim. I got that info last night so I don't need to track them down anymore..............unless I get screwed somehow.

On edit: See my other post in the Lounge (General) for pics.

khtm
08-16-2006, 05:05 PM

Give it a shot....you have nothing to lose.
Wow a cop getting money from a cop-related organization. That must have been real tough. :rolleyes:

DayGlow
08-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Slow5Oh

Only reason I wanted it was because the police were not giving any of us his information (insurance, parents name, etc) so no body could file a claim. I got that info last night so I don't need to track them down anymore..............unless I get screwed somehow.

On edit: See my other post in the Lounge (General) for pics.

They can't release it straight to you, but you can apply to get the report under FOIP (Freedom of Information and Privacy Act) I don't really know the exact procedure, but call the main number and they will point you in the right direction.

Also if you have a case number, give that to your insurance company and they will apply to get the info so they can proceed with a lawsuit on your behalf.

Traffic_Cop
08-16-2006, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by khtm

Wow a cop getting money from a cop-related organization. That must have been real tough. :rolleyes:

I wasn't in the job at the time. And just FYI, I was recently assaulted at work and sustained injuries to my hand and never received a penny, even though Police are eligible. Just depends on whos making the descions I guess.

The Government also used to run a program call Motor Vehicle Accidents & Claims, they used to pay out for Hit & Runs, you just have to cover the deductible.

403Gemini
08-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Slow5Oh

Spoke to the police last night & yes he was charged with theft & DUI as well as a few other offences.

ah, so the parents charged him with theft? (make SURE they did)

if they did, you can claim it under HIS insurance :thumbsup:

HHURICANE1
08-17-2006, 11:59 AM
To recover anything you will likely have to go through the small claims court. The insurance companies are master ass coverers and will deny coverage if the car was stolen and driven dui by a family member. Trying to get anything out of the government program is about as easy as pulling teeth from a pissed off alligator. I was hit and run once and was basically told I was screwed and I would have to pay.
Good luck to you though.

DayGlow
08-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by khtm

The Victim Assistance Program isn't run by cops, it's a Alberta Government program. So is healthcare. Is it wrong for cops to make a healthcare claim? Or how about workers comp if they get hurt on the job?

yellowsnow
08-18-2006, 12:11 PM
^^ werd... some people are just plain ignorant.

shedboy
08-18-2006, 12:22 PM
when i lived with my grandparents, their insurance company found out i was living with them and made them get me insurance on their car, in case i "stole it".

im under the impression that this is the case when kids get their license, you need to put them on your policy just in case

AzN'SKillZ
08-18-2006, 10:26 PM
^statefarm already has me covered under there policey even thou it cost my parents nothing, and they never asked for my name under the policey. but i do hav my own car and im insured under statefarm too.