PDA

View Full Version : Banff Restaurant recommendations?

DowntownCowboy
08-15-2006, 07:29 PM
I'm staying a night at the Rim Rock, then I'd like to take a girl out for a nice dinner. She likes red wine, otherwise its anything goes.

I've only ever been to the Grizzly House (who hasn't), Maple Leaf Grill (good times), Saltlik (I'd prefer something more memorable), Sukiyaki House (had a sushi craving) and breakfast at Craig's Way Station.

I've read some things on these restaurants in particular and would like to hear people's experiences there:

Ticino
Typhoon
Fuze Finer Dining
Café Soleil
Eden (in the Rim Rock I believe)
Balkan
Le Beaujolais

Fusion
08-15-2006, 07:36 PM
Le Beaujolais
very pricy.... went there with my g/f ..250 bucks included ice wine..
very nice place..quiet and romantic..^_^

black_2.5RS
08-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Eden. I cooked w/ the executive chef there (Yoshi) and he's freakin' good.

Gondi Stylez
08-15-2006, 09:38 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: for Le Beaujolais

pricey yes, but damn good french-fusion food

Redlyne_mr2
08-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Banff is a tough one because everything is at tourist pricing. Cafe du soleil, modern contemporary, attempt at french good food, decent priced, small portions. Beaujolais is good but way overpriced. Fuze is pretty cool, and around he same price as cafe soleil. Balkan is overpriced greek ...the restaurant in banff springs is nice and often has set dinner specials for a reasonable price as well.

ronaldo
08-16-2006, 10:52 AM
silver dragon is great for chinese food

DowntownCowboy
08-17-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm leaning towards Fuze, but anyone tried Typhoon or Ticino?

I think I'll stay away from Eden because I'd like to get out of the hotel a bit, and Beaujolais because it seems a bit too $$$.

racin_jayson
08-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Maple leaf is my favorite....but the resturant in banff springs is great too.

DowntownCowboy
01-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Long time since I followed up on this thread, but I ended up going to Fuze in Banff. Here's a quick review:

Ambience: 9/10
Its a strange location up in the Clock Tower mall, but it does very well with what it has. You wouldn't even know you were in the mall. Its modern, dark, and would be a great place for a casual apertif. It wasn't busy the weekend I went, and the crowd was casual/well-dressed, but not formal.

Food: 9/10
The two of us started with the Crisp Salmon Spring Rolls that were very good but a bit small. My Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb was the best lamb I've ever tasted. The cheese platter is a must for wine & cheese lovers. I might come back just for a glass of wine and the cheese.

Pricing: 8/10
Fuze is on the pricier side, but the value is there.

Service: 8/10
Our server was attentive and courteous.

Overall: 9/10
The biggest question is, would you go back? Definitely, for another meal or maybe just for drinks.

asuth077
01-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by racin_jayson
Maple leaf is my favorite....

I really enjoyed this restaurant too last time i was in Banff.

snade831
01-04-2007, 08:09 PM
There are some nice restaurants in the RimRock as well.

DowntownCowboy
01-05-2007, 10:23 AM
The Rimrock's Eden was a bit out of my price range, but I've heard nothing but good things. The Bruschetta at the Larkspur Lounge also at the Rimrock is incredible, and the view doesn't hurt either. Haven't heard anything about Primrose.

I also recommend the Maple Leaf Grill.

coujoe
01-24-2007, 07:17 AM
Fuze!!:thumbsup:

Ben
10-01-2007, 08:30 AM
I'm going to bump this thread up as I dined at 2 places this weekend I'd like to make note of.

Saturday Night I ventured into Cafe Soleil party of 2.

Reservations would be recommended, as it is a popular location and seating is somewhat limited.

After being greeted and tabled, I made note of the Mediterranean decor, refined and selective. Our server was prompt and made us aware of their special, and wine recommendations.

We started off with a Grilled chicken and fig skewer which was terrific, the glaze Piri Piri sauce was awesome and complemented it well. A French red was paired well with the Tapas.

Main course was a Wild Sea Tiger Prawns dish on Scallops and a Mushroom Risotto. This was amazing, a very rich and creamy dish that was of great quality and good size, the Tiger Prawns were definitely Tigers.

She had a fish dish which was the special that night, I dont really recall what it was, as I was too busy enjoying mine, but apparently it was awesome.

No desert was ordered, no room after the two dishes and fresh baked bread with the traditional olive oil and balsamic vinegar dip.

- Cafe Soleil
- 208 Caribou Street Banff (Accross from Hoodoo night club and beside Coyotes Restaurant)
- Food rating 4.5/5
- Ambiance 4.5/5
- Service 5/5

I'd say your average plate price would be in the 60-80 range if paired with mid priced bottle of red.

Good choice for a change of scenery.

------------------

Last night I dined at FUZE, an impressive and urban feeling establishment located in the top of the Clock Tower Mall. It's a very pleasant dark restaurant, accentuated spot lighting for tables and a clean feel with dark wood and leathers throughout, with deep autumn earth tones. Appearance is great.

Again, reservations are definitely recommended, although at 8pm on a Sunday, it was a little slow, which was nice, we were promptly seated by the house manager, whom somehow knew who I was and had our table prepared.

No wine was ordered as we felt like Caesars instead. Extra Spicy, and that they were. Best caesar I've had in a while, which are served with my favorite garnish, Peppercinis.

To start we shared a FUZE Caprese Salad, which is a bocconcini cheese, tomato, pesto tapenade and goat cheese cream medley, which was so incredibly good I could have ate that all night. Best bocconcini salad we'd both ever had.

Two breads were paired with the meal, a multigrain mountain loaf and a focaccia bread which absolutely rocked, they came with a selection of two spreads, which change all the time, last night was a whipped seasalt butter, and a whipped tandoori which had just the right amount of curry, was perfect.

Main course consisted of the Stuffed Chicken Breast for the lady, an amazingly plated entre with sundried tomatos and spolumbo chorizo sausage accented with basquase sauce and grilled zucchini. Was amazing.

I had the Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb which was without a doubt the best lamb I've ever had. Served Medium, it was so incredibly tender, and inFUZEd with flavor that melted in your mouth. DO order this if you dine at FUZE.

Desert was simple and to the point. House churned iced cream, Vanilla bean for me, and a chamomile blend for her, which was surprisingly, really really good, and well executed for being a type of tea.

Overall, this is one of my top restaurants I've been to which does not require formal attire. Dress code is listed as mountain casual, not sure what that exactly means, but a collared shirt would be appropriate, and jeans will do provided they're proper looking and matched with casual dress shoes.

FUZE Finer Dining
Second Floor
Clock Tower Village Mall,
110 Banff Avenue.
Phone: (403) 760-0853

- Food rating 5/5
- Ambiance 5/5
- Service 5/5
- Value 4.5/5

Expect to drop 50-60/per plate without wine if you go for the more exclusive meals. I actually recommend following the Chef's suggested menus, where you dont really know what you're going to have, it's a good surprise. 6 or 7 courses, all excellent. But if you're going to drop money, this is a great place to do so. I keep returning to this place for their great menu that changes with the seasons and keeps things on the up.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

clem24
10-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Take a drive out to Canmore and go to Zona's. Their caesar salad is kick ass.. And I don't even like caesars!! Everything is more than reasonably priced. Soup du jour also changes constantly and is awesome!