PDA

View Full Version : Unsharp tool..how to use it..any tips?

nismodrifter
08-15-2006, 09:04 PM
So after reading around it seems like unsharp mask is used alot in post processing. I am wondering if anyone can give some tips and pointers on how exactly to best put this tool to use. I'm screwing around in pshop right now but am not sure as to what each setting means and what levels are appropriate.

Any help/advice/tips would be appreciated.

DJ Lazy
08-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Ohhhh the photoshop Guru is stumped? ;)

Ekliptix
08-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Don't use it. It sucks. Stay away.

Melinda
08-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Werd, I hate the unsharp mask, especially for digital photos. It does more if you're working with scanned in film photographs than it does for digital ones, and it tends to make them look a little pixelated when all is said and done

Ekliptix
08-15-2006, 09:57 PM
I was just kidding, I use it for web shots for sure. Filter->sharpen->unsharp mask (0.2 threshold I think).
For prints though, I agree. Don't use it.

clem24
08-16-2006, 05:17 PM
Actually, I don't agree with any of this. It's probably because you guys are using in camera sharpening. Turn your in camera sharpening to OFF or shoot in RAW. Then you'll find a use for unsharp mask. I always shoot with either low or no sharpening.

Keep in mind that in camera sharpening is basically an unsharp mask done in-camera. With the correct settings, you can definitely bring a picture to life with this. Photoshop can do a better job of sharpening a picture than your camera.

Ekliptix
08-16-2006, 09:55 PM
I think we all agree that leaving in camera sharpening, saturation, contrast, etc at a min is a good idea.

Davan
08-21-2006, 11:07 AM
I find the smartsharpen filter is a bit better at refining edges, than the unsharpmaks filter.