PDA

View Full Version : Drive-In movies coming back to calgary?

Thaco
08-16-2006, 12:55 PM
Check this out, my wife just found it and sent me the link, this is cool

http://www.movieinthepark.ca/race_city_drive-in.html

Too bad the movies suck.

sputnik
08-16-2006, 12:59 PM
So I guess there is no more Secret Street anymore.

Thaco
08-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
So I guess there is no more Secret Street anymore.

No, there will be secret street, also there is oval practices this friday, i assume this will be held in the spectator parkign lot which is not used for oval practices or secret streets anyways.

Tik-Tok
08-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Lol, While I'd love a new drive-in to open in Calgary, I think this is retarded, who the hell wants to hear

brbrbrbrbrbrbBRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Every 30 seconds while watching a movie?

Thaco
08-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Lol, While I'd love a new drive-in to open in Calgary, I think this is retarded, who the hell wants to hear

brbrbrbrbrbrbBRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Every 30 seconds while watching a movie?

Another thoughtless comment... again i assume they will have it set up to broadcast the movie on a short band radio station so you can have it tuned in your car and turn it as loud as you want to drown out the outside noise...

also the movies start at 9:45, coincidently the noise bylaw kicks in at 10 so they can't run any loud cars when the movies are running anyways.

Melinda
08-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

Another thoughtless comment... again i assume they will have it set up to broadcast the movie on a short band radio station so you can have it tuned in your car and turn it as loud as you want to drown out the outside noise...
If you look at the pictures on the link, it looks like everyone is sitting in lawn chairs and stuff, not in their cars

Tik-Tok
08-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

QuasarCav
08-16-2006, 01:21 PM

And you can add one more thoughtless comment moron. You want to damage your kids hearing by blasting your radio as high as it can go? Obviously that's the market their going for by having Ice Age II playing, dumbass.

Noise laws, BS. You'll still hear half the street cars going down the track unless you are damaging your hearing with your stereo.

Ice age 2: Featuring the voices of ricey exhuaust and open downpipe.

eb0i
08-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Melinda

If you look at the pictures on the link, it looks like everyone is sitting in lawn chairs and stuff, not in their cars

Yeah it looks like a movie in the park rather than a "drive-inn" style movie.

kerry
08-16-2006, 02:17 PM
Wouldn't that be hilarious to have it on your radio?

You'd finish your run and could say,
"Wow I just ran a 13.3 to the sounds of Talladega Nights"

hehehe

3g4me
08-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Neat idea if it is a true drive in, whats the piont of sitting in a park with lawnchairs?

steverules
08-16-2006, 02:59 PM
I like grease!

I would go see it! :D

JAYMEZ
08-16-2006, 03:06 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Im sorry but your a moron..

Why are people flaming at the person who just showed the link ? Do you guys actually think a business person would have the movie start while people are racing? Grow some brains people.

And on a side note... Grease would be to funny to watch lol

babyblueg2
08-16-2006, 03:38 PM
exactly they need da old scholl drive in ones where u sit in ur car
and u get 2 watch like 3 movies till 3 in moring
much better then siiting on a lwan chair

nismodrifter
08-16-2006, 03:41 PM
late night + sitting outside = MOSQUITOWNED!

Tik-Tok
08-16-2006, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi

Why are people flaming at the person who just showed the link ? Do you guys actually think a business person would have the movie start while people are racing? Grow some brains people.

There will be one of two results on friday night.

A) They start the movie @ 9:45 as they've posted, and the movie watchers get to listen to the strip for the first hour of the movie.

-or-

B) They cut secret street short, and end it @ 9:45, which would be :bullshit:

DJ Lazy
08-16-2006, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

I haven't been bit ONCE this summer and I work outside 12hrs a day 12 out of 14 days ... :dunno: Maybe they don't like me... :D

black_radiation
08-16-2006, 04:24 PM

haah nice nismo, i +1 for the idea of sitting in your car to watch it though, its been ages since i was at a drive in movie, i think i was like 5 last time i went

Pihsiak
08-16-2006, 04:33 PM
In my opinion, the pictures they show on their site are in a park therefore ppl have lawn chairs and stuff

If Race City is having theirs in the oval... they might be letting people drive into the oval and park there and watch the movie in their cars like a 'Drive In'....

Found on their website
http://www.movieinthepark.ca/db_PICT00071.jpg

Either way, the first showing is gonna be a Gong Show.

Thaco
08-16-2006, 04:45 PM
They will be having it in the SPECTATOR PARKING LOT, for the 3rd time, and you will be able to sit IN YOUR CAR, drive in style... the pictures shown are NOT race city but simply other events the same company has put on which are "MOVIE IN THE PARK" this is not what Racecity is doing, they are doing it drive in style.

And your stereo does not need to be "hearing damaging" to drown out the sound of street cars in 4-5 gear at the end of the strip, which is all you'd hear anyways because that's where the spectator parking lot is.

Moonracer
08-16-2006, 05:11 PM
I think it's a great idea, it's been years since I have been to a drive-in movie. This won't be exactly the same but close enough. The screen looks like it will be smaller and then of course the humps to angle you upwards will be missing. Then again the screen won't be really high up possibly so the humps won't matter. Good idea though, watch a bit of racing first then hit the movies! Just think guys, a great place to take your date to be alone with her instead of a packed theatre. ;)

stevieo
08-16-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

I haven't been bit ONCE this summer and I work outside 12hrs a day 12 out of 14 days ... :dunno: Maybe they don't like me... :D

maybe cause you got no meat on your bones

eb0i
08-16-2006, 08:57 PM
Taken from the Sun

http://www.calgarysun.com/cgi-bin/publish.cgi?p=150633&x=articles&s=movies

Stars under stars
Staff
Calgary Sun
August 16, 2006

If you’ve missed watching stars under the stars, you’ll be star-struck to learn drive-in theatre is back in Calgary.

Aug. 18 marks the first time in years Calgarians can enjoy a double-feature from the comfort of their cars as Race City Speedway and Movie in the Park are bringing the drive-in to Calgary.

The movies will be played on Canada’s largest inflatable movie screen and broadcast on FM radio.

Gates open at 8 p.m. with the show set to start at about 9:45 p.m.

For more info, log onto:

• www.racecity.com

• www.movieinthepark.ca/race_city_drive-in.html

So I guess it is from the comfort of your own car...

ashee
08-17-2006, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Moonracer
I think it's a great idea, it's been years since I have been to a drive-in movie. This won't be exactly the same but close enough. The screen looks like it will be smaller and then of course the humps to angle you upwards will be missing. Then again the screen won't be really high up possibly so the humps won't matter. Good idea though, watch a bit of racing first then hit the movies! Just think guys, a great place to take your date to be alone with her instead of a packed theatre. ;)

I went to movie in the park last year at Millenium and the screen is actually pretty big it should be perfect for a drive in.

gp36912
08-17-2006, 01:11 AM
:D from what i hear, they are holding these drive-in movies while there are no car events or practices on the track. so they will still have secret streets and such but while race city is empty they wanted to open it up as a drive in movie theater

nismodrifter
08-17-2006, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by stevieo

maybe cause you got no meat on your bones

no it's because mosquitos only bite minorities.

nonsane
08-17-2006, 07:41 AM

no it's because mosquitos only bite minorities.

oh no... WHo is my real father?

gp36912
08-17-2006, 09:33 AM
:D hell i got bit a total of 300+ times this summer :D mostly at the euro and beyond meets i went to :D

eb0i
08-18-2006, 03:50 PM
So who's all going? I am. We should have a beyond section set up, haha.

Mar
08-18-2006, 04:05 PM
This would be awesome, I'd go for sure. I don't have a FM receiver in my car though. :thumbsdow

When I go to a movie in a theater, I'm always worried about my car getting jacked, this is the best of both worlds! Guess it's time to source a bench seat for a Civic! :clap:

Si_FlyGuy
08-18-2006, 04:12 PM
How do you get your car jacked when you're sitting in it?

Mar
08-18-2006, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
How do you get your car jacked when you're sitting in it?
Hence why the drive in would be better.

Si_FlyGuy
08-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Of course...me so crazzzy.:nut:

Thaco
08-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Mar
This would be awesome, I'd go for sure. I don't have a FM receiver in my car though. :thumbsdow

When I go to a movie in a theater, I'm always worried about my car getting jacked, this is the best of both worlds! Guess it's time to source a bench seat for a Civic! :clap:

Ever heard of a walk man? :P

Mar
08-18-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

Ever heard of a walk man? :P

Awesome, I have RCA inputs as well! Great idea! Great idea!:clap:

LowRiderHD2000
08-19-2006, 01:01 PM
I went to the Drive-In last night. The FM transmitter worked perfect and the screen was clear. The cars at Race City did not distract you from the show. I would say over 200 cars attended. I had a good time and will go back. :thumbsup:

Paul1234
08-19-2006, 04:09 PM
yah i had a good time too but just to clear things up i wasnt smoking weed there, i was smoking shisha!!! i had so many complaints....

eb0i
08-20-2006, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by LowRiderHD2000
I went to the Drive-In last night. The FM transmitter worked perfect and the screen was clear. The cars at Race City did not distract you from the show. I would say over 200 cars attended. I had a good time and will go back. :thumbsup:

Yeah I had a great time there too. Definitely going to hit it up next Friday.

BigMass
08-20-2006, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by eb0i

Yeah I had a great time there too. Definitely going to hit it up next Friday.

can you still see anything over all the trucks with a 4" lift?

cman
08-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Awesome idea, perfect date idea, watch SS then movies with a fine lady haha.

dodger97
08-21-2006, 11:45 PM
Looks like a good time...

This Friday's showing:

ET
The Break Up

Obviously, family movie first then a somewhat new movie but still looks like it could be fun.:)

Patt08
08-23-2006, 12:46 AM
i was so pissed off when they got rid of ours in medicine hat/redcliff. The owners of the land started cahrgin more, so the tiket prices had to go up. Now the land is being used for an oil rig. Spectacular.