PDA

View Full Version : Couple more questions about SAIT...

rinny
08-16-2006, 07:16 PM
1. This is probably a no, but is there wireless internet access anywhere in the school for a guy to bring his laptop? And if not anybody know a place close by?

2. There are 2 fees i think that are unjustifiably forced upon the students- the student dental and health plan...Is there a way that we DONT have to pay for this crap? Considering im covered by my parents' plans I dont think i should have to pay for this.

Ripper
08-16-2006, 07:19 PM
1. Theres internet terminals everywhere.
2. Yes there is a way, can't remember the details though sorry.

BlackArcher101
08-16-2006, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by rinny
1. This is probably a no, but is there wireless internet access anywhere in the school for a guy to bring his laptop? And if not anybody know a place close by?

2. There are 2 fees i think that are unjustifiably forced upon the students- the student dental and health plan...Is there a way that we DONT have to pay for this crap? Considering im covered by my parents' plans I dont think i should have to pay for this.

As for #2... you get a waiver form from SAITSA. If you are covered under another plan already, then you don't have to pay.

cityhunter2501
08-16-2006, 09:18 PM
#1 the library has wifi
#2 yes, read BackArcher101 post

l8braker
08-17-2006, 07:37 AM
There is wireless in most of the main open areas, ie. Heart where the tables are. Library is all wireless as well. There are ports everywhere you look to plug in. I had to get my computer configured from the Help Desk before i could use the wireless for some reason. You can opt out of the package you were talking about, there will be a form online you fill out and then get your $ back. You can see the Student assn. peeps as well for that.

forced14
08-18-2006, 12:01 PM
The reason the helpdesk had to set up the wireless on your laptop, is because it uses your SAIT student ID to login. I cant remember what encryption/authentication it was using, but it is possible to set it up yourself, just have to play around with the settings.

As well, there is wireless coming from the John Ware building (AP is sitting in the E309 classroom) but it is only in use for certain classes taking the wireless courses up there.

--forced

EG_Civic
08-18-2006, 12:11 PM
all wireless password is:

ABC11ABC11

l/l/rX
08-18-2006, 02:41 PM
it says on some piece of paper that sait has over 5000 network ports.

lol im soo computer stupid.
ive been sitting here at home trying to figure out how to hook up my wireless internet.
guess ill just get a friend to do it for me.

forced14
08-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by EG_Civic
all wireless password is:

ABC11ABC11

Yeah for the one in the John ware building, however not for the library.

Diesel2005
08-18-2006, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by forced14

Yeah for the one in the John ware building, however not for the library.

what's the one in the library?

forced14
08-18-2006, 10:18 PM
The one in the library uses your SAIT username and ID, and I cannot remember what authentication/encryption it uses. Thats mostly why alot of people get the helpdesk to configure it for them. I did it myself after another guy in class set it up for himself before me, but its been about 8 months since I had to set it up, and I no longer have my laptop since I have graduated.

--forced

nonsane
08-21-2006, 08:09 AM
I think the program is called Sharescan.

If you download that it'll find other people at sait who have shares open and show you the results. During a busy time during the day you can download alot of crap and it's rediculously fast too.

forced14
08-21-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by nonsane
I think the program is called Sharescan.

If you download that it'll find other people at sait who have shares open and show you the results. During a busy time during the day you can download alot of crap and it's rediculously fast too.

Uhh... I think you are thinking of something else. We were talking about connecting to SAIT's wireless network in the Heart building.

From what I remember, SAIT uses LEAP to authenticate using your SAIT username/password with the AP, so you just need a wireless client that supports LEAP. From what I remember, windows does not support it, however you can use different clients, I think the laptops from SAIT come with a different client installed on them that supports this.

--forced

nonsane
08-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Sorry my post was a bit off topic. I was trying to show how people in my class took advantage of the network :D

But yeah there's plugins everywhere