PDA

View Full Version : Recruting Jobs...and your resume on Monster and Workopilis....

Wrath
08-17-2006, 06:33 PM
I've always been vary wary of companies who contact me on monster or workopolis as I only have a few diplomas and am working to get my degree as we speak...

Anyways long stroy short, I update my resumes and post them. and i get 1 phone call and one email from 2 different companies which seem to be offering similar jobs. The Allegis Group and Altig international

The allegis group offers this position

http://recruiting.thingamajob.com/jobs/Alberta/Recruiter---Inside-Sales---Calgary/958576?vendor_id=200

The other company offered a similar position.....

Now....Has anybody heard anything bad about these companies......ie Pyrimid schemes and shady sales ect......

They stated the salary was 37,500 + comission a year (being a recuiter...I have no idea how you make commission)

Anybody had a similar experience?

bigbadboss101
08-17-2006, 09:05 PM
I am not familiar with the company. The pay you mentioned is pretty good. It would likely involve you search dbases for candidates, and networking etc. If you place someone, you get a commission.

If you enjoy talking to people and is willing to learn various industries and the skill sets needed in them, it should be a nice job.

I have considered being a recruiter because I enjoy meeting people, researching, learning, etc.

GTS Jeff
08-17-2006, 09:14 PM
I was a recruiter for a short while. It's a good gig...nothing shady at all - in fact, most businesses rely on recruiters to fill their employment needs.

Why you ask? Well, good help is hard to come by, so it's tough for every single company out there to have the expertise needed to be good at hiring. In many cases, it's cheaper to pay a staffing agency to find good people, rather than to do it yourself. As a recruiter, your job is to find the right people for the right jobs. Every time you successfully place someone, you make the cash moneyz.

Wrath
08-17-2006, 09:55 PM
So it's an Ok Gig?

37,500 is about 17 bones an hour.....in todays economy thats ok i guess......Wonder how much comission you could make

Pacman
08-17-2006, 10:28 PM
I would suspect that the 37k/year is just so you can pay your bills. THe real money will come from the commissions.

I'm not sure what industry sector this company specializes in, but I know recruters that make in the $200,000 to $500,000 a year range.

It's a pure sales job....so don't get comfortable on the base salary. If you are not performing, they will fire you immediatly.

GTS Jeff
08-18-2006, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by Wrath
So it's an Ok Gig?

37,500 is about 17 bones an hour.....in todays economy thats ok i guess......Wonder how much comission you could make

37k is barely anything in Calgary's economy. Not trying to slam you, just saying that you should focus on the commission.

Originally posted by Pacman
I would suspect that the 37k/year is just so you can pay your bills. THe real money will come from the commissions.

I'm not sure what industry sector this company specializes in, but I know recruters that make in the $200,000 to $500,000 a year range.

It's a pure sales job....so don't get comfortable on the base salary. If you are not performing, they will fire you immediatly.

Everything this guy says is true.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it'll take you awhile to ramp up to making that much money though, so don't get too down on yourself if you aren't making 200k right away. It takes awhile to get into the job and to build up a base of candidates.

Wrath
08-18-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Pacman

They specilize in

Information technology
Telecommunications
Automotive
Aviation, aerospace, and defense
Construction
Mining
Manufacturing
Energy services and utilities
Electronics
General labor, clerical, light technical, and skilled trades
Engineering and architecture
Scientific and clinical research
Accounting and finance
Banking and financial services
Contact centers

So maybe it's worth while meeting these guys.....Might work well considering i'm finishing my degree in the evenings

GTS Jeff
08-18-2006, 10:40 AM

They specilize in

Information technology
Telecommunications
Automotive
Aviation, aerospace, and defense
Construction
Mining
Manufacturing
Energy services and utilities
Electronics
General labor, clerical, light technical, and skilled trades
Engineering and architecture
Scientific and clinical research
Accounting and finance
Banking and financial services
Contact centers

So maybe it's worth while meeting these guys.....Might work well considering i'm finishing my degree in the evenings LOL that's not very specialized at all. If you are serious about recruiting, I'd look into some more recruiting firms as well, which might offer more opportunities for you.

Pacman
08-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
LOL that's not very specialized at all. If you are serious about recruiting, I'd look into some more recruiting firms as well, which might offer more opportunities for you.

I agree. The only way to be successful in recruiting is to specialize in a one or two industry sectors. The recruiting industry is a "dog eat dog" world.....and it would be very challenging to develop the correct relationships with the clients when you are working in all those areas.

I suspect this company has lots of turnover with their employees either getting let go for underperforming or just simply leaving as they are not making much bonus.

The really successful recruiters have usually worked in a specific industry for many years, have lots of contacts, understand the business and can leverage that into getting the job searches.

bigbadboss101
08-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Hey Jeff,

I am now in Fort Mac.

Yeah definitely focus on the commission. Be assertive and make contact with anyone you see who might be in the market.

GTS Jeff
08-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Hey Jeff,

I am now in Fort Mac.

Yeah definitely focus on the commission. Be assertive and make contact with anyone you see who might be in the market. haha yeah I figured man, you seemed like you sorta knew you wanted to step in that direction. Unfortunately I'm no longer working for CNC anymore, so if you call them, ask for Andrea to help you out!

slick2404
08-18-2006, 03:01 PM
I'd take the gig man, even if its just for a year make whatever unless your really in need of bigger coin. 1yr experience in the field of recruiting would go alot longer than no experience and tryin to get in with a reputable company....my 2cents the way i see it...and most jobs for that matter.

Wrath
08-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Just talked to the rep again....she claimed most people in the first year are within the 45,000 - 55,000 range

Not bad coin for me..

TheWholeTruth
10-05-2006, 02:09 PM
I've always been vary wary of companies who contact me on monster or workopolis as I only have a few diplomas and am working to get my degree as we speak...

Anyways long stroy short, I update my resumes and post them. and i get 1 phone call and one email from 2 different companies which seem to be offering similar jobs. The Allegis Group and Altig international

The allegis group offers this position

http://recruiting.thingamajob.com/jobs/Alberta/Recruiter---Inside-Sales---Calgary/958576?vendor_id=200

The other company offered a similar position.....

Now....Has anybody heard anything bad about these companies......ie Pyrimid schemes and shady sales ect......

They stated the salary was 37,500 + comission a year (being a recuiter...I have no idea how you make commission)

Anybody had a similar experience?

-------------------------------------------------

I won't go as far as to say that Altig International (A.I.L.) and other smiliar companies are "scams", but I will say this: Partial truth is not really truth - it's nothing more than a lie in disguise. And any company that gets in touch with you off a job site, who promises you the world while dodging your questions, is obviously not giving you the whole truth. Beware of that, and TRUST YOUR GUT.

I have firsthand experience with this. I was a hiring manager for Altig International (A.I.L.) so, not only am I familiar with the licencing/selling processes of this company; but, I'm also familiar with how/why people are hired and what they can expect along the way.

There ARE insurance sales agents who are successful at Altig International (AIL). But I'm going to be REALLY upfront with you here about what it takes to be successful there. Then you decide for yourself with the whole truth........

The recruiting department of Altig International is nothing more than another sales department. We had quotas as to how many people we had to hire per week because we knew that: of the people we hired, less than half would make it through the licencing process; of the people who got their licence, less than half would get through the training process; of the people who made it through training ... maybe one, MAYBE two of them would be selling insurance with us for maybe the next year. This is not because these people were unintelligent, either. They had a lot of odds against them.......

As I said, I had a weekly hiring quota. Hiring Managers were promised commissions based on how many of our personal new hires made it through the entire process and actually made a sale. Problem was, you only began to earn commissions if you had two or three hires making their first sale at the same time. Well, let's just say, in the several months I was there, I never saw one dollar of commission. Never more than one hire got to their first sale at a time. In fact, most left the company before they even got to that point, or shortly after.

Here's why............

When I hired people, I had a few scripts to follow: one, the script I used to get them in the door; two, the script I used for the first interview, to make them feel important yet still question whether or not I wanted to hire them; three, the script I used during the second interview to convince them this was the opportunity of a lifetime; four, the final script I used in the third interview where I made them feel like they were the "cream of the crop", the "best of the best", and that this opportunity would not be given to just anyone.

Funny thing is, because of my quota, my sole purpose there was to hire as many people as I could - cream of the crop or not. I tried to hire everyone from teenagers working at McDonald's to geologists from other countries who could not get regular work due to immigration laws. I tried to hire everyone and anyone who would take the bait so that I would earn my own commissions (.......commissions I never did see. Did I mention that?).

I was upfront with my potential new hires about the fact that they would be expected to invest in their own licencing (buy their own books, pay for their own exams). I was upfront about the fact that they would be without an income during this licencing process, and during their subsequent training. I was upfront about the fact that it was a 100% commission position and they would not start seeing their first commission cheques until after they made their first sale. I would tell them, "Expect to be without an income for between 4 to 6 weeks. Then expect to start seeing a major income."

So, I was being partially upfront with them, yes. But here's the WHOLE truth that they didn't get upfront:

- VERY FEW people can make it through that licencing program in the 2-3 weeks the hiring managers tell them it takes. This is legitimate, heavy-duty study material. Most people will take twice that long to get through. Some won't pass the exam the first time, and will have to try to take it again (which adds another week onto the licencing process.)

- By this point, these people have been without an income for 6 or more weeks. Their bills are piling up, and the stress of those money struggles are piling up with them. But now that they've passed the licencing exam, they're expected to go without income for ANOTHER 4 weeks while they go through inhouse training with other agents.

- This job requires people to work evenings and weekends. It is not as flexible as hiring managers make it out to be in the initial interviewing process. Once you're licenced, the other agents will drive you to WORK, WORK, WORK, seven days a week. "Pay the price for success!" they'll tell you.

- But you're warn down by now. You're exhausted. You're not seeing much of your family because you're working really hard. You're also (presumably) behind in your bills because you went without an income for a couple of months.......AND, on top of that, all your expenses for this job (travel, gas, hotels, food, pens, paper) is coming out of your own pocket. Yes, all these expenses are tax deductible at the end of the year. But what good is that if you have no disposable income to feed your family during the year?

Here's the whole truth: There ARE people who succeed in this business. I've seen it myself. But those people are few and far between.

If you want to succeed at this, you have to make sure you have some kind of financial buffer to cover your ass while you're going through all this licencing and training. I would recommend that you have at least 5 to 6 months worth of income stashed away to support yourself because, don't kid yourself, that's how much you're going to need to get your business off the ground. (And how many of us have an extra six-month nestegg laying around that we're willing to possibly throw away on a job where a small percentage of the people hired actually stay?)

Another thing you have to be prepared for, if you want to succeed at this job, is that you will be WORKING seven days per week. Altig International (A.I.L.) will guilt you into believing that your job should be you're number one priority. You must give, give, give. You must be willing to "invest in yourself" to succeed. Funny thing is, though, they won't invest anything in you. They won't help to pay for your licencing, or pay you a small salary to get you through the training.

They want you to "invest in yourself" before you've seen tangible results. But they won't "invest in you" until you've shown them tangible results. That's the truth. (I already know how Altig International reps will counter this statement. They'll say, "We invest in our people by providing them with some leads and insurance forms." Well, here's what I say to that: that's not your investment in your people; that's simply your cost of doing business. It's a given that you should provide that to your people.)

Anyway, so, is it worth it? That's your decision. It certainly wasn't worth it for me. I found it all very hypocritical, to be honest with you. I came to a point where I felt sick to my stomach when I hired new people, because I feared I was setting them up for bankruptcy.

I saw MANY very professional, hard-working people leave that company in order to avoid personal bankruptcy. They walked out feeling terrible about themselves, feeling like they'd failed. I want them to know that they were not failures. NONE of them. They were all wonderful people who were not given the whole truth right from the start and then realized, a little too late, that a career with this company was not going to deliver what they had originally expected. They were human.

---------------------------------------------------------------

calgarys13
10-05-2006, 07:10 PM
so basically if you wanna be scum and screw people over then go for it...i got an email form them and went for an interview to test the waters and was promisied around100-150k per year as a salesmen...asking myself why the hell would they want someone whos done basically labour my whole career i figured it didn't sit right..basically its a giant pyramid scheme from what i got out of all the info on the company ...so sure go for it but i couldn't sleep at night knowing that i hired people into a dead end job and make them spend money on useless courses and licencing..

ALTIG ftl:guns:

TheWholeTruth
10-05-2006, 08:08 PM
I just want to qualify that there are legitimate recruiting jobs out there with legitimate companies who actually read through resumes and try to match the right candidates to the right jobs. Those are the recruiting jobs to get into.

But the recruiting job at Altig International is not legitimate. I barely even read the resumes over. I got used to just scanning for key words like "customer service" or "sales" before calling someone. Toward the end, I wasn't scanning resumes at all. Altig's main office was sending out mass emails to people on my behalf, inviting them to an interview with me. Sometimes, I hadn't even seen the resume of the person before they sat down in front of me for their first interview. Then I just went into my script and improvised and tried to find a common ground with them. It was silly. It was not a job I was very proud of, I'll tell you that much. And it barely paid me enough to live.

Cruz
10-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Same garbage, different can:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146452

jdmakkord
10-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Sounds like another primerica bs job.

Wrath
10-14-2006, 12:40 AM
I knew it......

I never contacted any of them

Thank God

Nova316
10-14-2006, 12:46 AM
Its the same scheme as companies like
Vector Marketing
and Quixtar

andres_mt
10-14-2006, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Nova316
Its the same scheme as companies like
Vector Marketing
and Quixtar

:werd:

for Quixtar, unless you create a very large network which is near impossible unless you dedicate your whole life to finding associates. Almost got into that this summer but quickly found out it was a scam.

SneakyNeek
10-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by andres_mt

:werd:

for Quixtar, unless you create a very large network which is near impossible unless you dedicate your whole life to finding associates. Almost got into that this summer but quickly found out it was a scam.

I disagree about quixtar

it is not nearly impossible it is in fact possible

i have a friend that is registered on the site actully a couple
one of them has 5 or 6 people under him and made a 1100 $ on his last cheque
and the thing with residual income is he will be reiceiving that money every month for a long tlong time

i have been to the quixtar meetings and there is ussually 100-200 people at them. as well there not just young kids trying to make some extra flow, there are many docters/lawyers/ etc that attend these meetins everyweek. I highly doubt if quixtar was a scam established people like them would be attending.

Mar
10-26-2006, 06:40 PM
I got recruited by Altig Internaional, paid $400 for the books, studied for 5 weeks, paid $100 for the exam and $120 for my license when I passed. Then I had to pay for gas and meals while I was on the road, and I also had to plan a road trip to other parts of the province once per month with the group and had to pay for all expenses on that as well. I was employed there for about 6 months and actually worked about 1 month or 2 months. It really wasn't my style, I was promised a big paycheque too, but I soon realized I can make the same paycheque working a lot less with my software engineering degree.

It's a great opportunity if you don't have many other options or if that's what you're into but otherwise it's only for a specific type of person. However, I was part of the office which produced the second best numbers month after month, and for one month we were number one in North America beating out Reno who were always on top.

So am I glad I did it? Definitely. I learned all about RRSP, RESP, life insurance, cancer coverage, accidental/health insurance and much much more. It was great to know all about this stuff, I even picked up a policy for cancer coverage. I get $10,000 if I ever get any type of cancer, except skin cancer, and all it costs me is $2.50 per month and it'll never increase. So if you want life insurance, be my guest, but I think everyone should jump on this as it's real cheap and there's a good chance of you getting cancer. No, I don't work there anymore. Yes, I really do believe this is a good idea.

omagedon
11-08-2006, 01:52 AM
Man, I submitted my resume on Workopolis/Monster and I got an email from Cindy M at Altig International. So I called her and left a voice message. She called me back and basically told me nothing about the job, she mentioned "Come on IN, I can't explain it on the phone". So I said sure and made an appointment. Then the night before the Interview, I got another email from ALIFE or something like that from Rick Altig saying the exact same thing but in Edmonton. Then, I felt something was fishy and checked the site again and thought it should too good to be true and it looks like a Sales position so I didn't goto the Interview.

After reading this, I felt better about my decision not to goto the Interview would been a complete waste of my time!

Thanks for clearing my mind about this :)