PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Noise Cancelling Headphones/Earbuds

incubus403
08-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Going on Vacation in September, need something for the long plane ride! Post whatever you got and how much you want.

Recommendations for models are appreciated too. :)

Pihsiak
08-18-2006, 12:51 PM
I used these on my trip last christmas.
They did the job, came with adapters for plane headphones so I could use it when I was watching the onboard movie

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116320&highlight=philips

clem24
08-18-2006, 01:41 PM
I personally would avoid noise cancelling headphones. Most just don't sound good at all, end up coloring your signal, and their noise cancelling is mild at best. Don't expect any miracles. If you must get noise cancelling, the only one that is midly worth is the Sennheiser (PX250 or something).

Instead, check out the Sony MDR-EX51 or EX71. It's an "in the ear" ear bud that sounds really good and works like an ear plug. It looks like that one in Pihsiak's post, but without... Um, the Phillips sound quality. Retail is around $50. I have a set of these myself. I personally wouldn't buy any headphones used unless they were over the ear.

If you've got dough to blow, head over to London Drugs. They stock ear buds by Shure, and those rock.

Check out this link and then reviews for more info: www.goodcans.com though he's very Grado biased and runs a store, but at least it lends him some credibility.

Thaco
08-18-2006, 02:59 PM
I was ding some research on these a few months back, avoid the son'y apparently the cord is very cheap and the insulation wears through very easily, i finally settled on a pair from ebay.

JVC HA-FX55

Very pleased with them, and they're not insanely priced like the shures. I think i paid about $20 shipped for them.

pinoyhero
08-18-2006, 03:50 PM
What about for sports, anything that has decent quality sound but won't bounce out of the ear with movement and sweat?

EG STyLeZ
08-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by clem24
I personally would avoid noise cancelling headphones. Most just don't sound good at all, end up coloring your signal, and their noise cancelling is mild at best. Don't expect any miracles. If you must get noise cancelling, the only one that is midly worth is the Sennheiser (PX250 or something).

Instead, check out the Sony MDR-EX51 or EX71. It's an "in the ear" ear bud that sounds really good and works like an ear plug. It looks like that one in Pihsiak's post, but without... Um, the Phillips sound quality. Retail is around $50. I have a set of these myself. I personally wouldn't buy any headphones used unless they were over the ear.

If you've got dough to blow, head over to London Drugs. They stock ear buds by Shure, and those rock.

Check out this link and then reviews for more info: www.goodcans.com though he's very Grado biased and runs a store, but at least it lends him some credibility.

Do not buy the Sony MDR-EX51s or EX71s. They are probably the best sounding in-ear headphones you can get for their price, but they WILL fall apart on you within a year if you plan to use them regularly. I owned a pair for about 8 months before the rubber coating over the wires started falling apart, leaving the wires exposed. Read some reviews here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_MDR_EX71SL_WK_black/4852-6468_7-30520512.html?tag=srthlpfl

Instead, I recommend the Sennheiser CX 300s. :thumbsup:

clem24
08-18-2006, 04:42 PM
I've had my EX71 for over a year now and they seem fine. Maybe it's cause I am not a heavy user of them? I only really use them on the plane. Other times, I break out the Grados.

Anyway, just remember you get what you pay for. Don't expect anything cheap to sound amazing.

incubus403
08-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I think i'm going to go with Thaco's advice and get a pair of the JVC's. I have a friend who owns these and are quite pleased with them. He also says even though they are not Noise cancelling, they work pretty well because of the earbuds.

and yes, i agree.. you do get what you pay for. I just don't wanna shell out 300+ for a pair of Shure's or Sennheisers!

Thaco
08-22-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by incubus403
Thanks for the input guys. I think i'm going to go with Thaco's advice and get a pair of the JVC's. I have a friend who owns these and are quite pleased with them. He also says even though they are not Noise cancelling, they work pretty well because of the earbuds.

and yes, i agree.. you do get what you pay for. I just don't wanna shell out 300+ for a pair of Shure's or Sennheisers!

you can only egt noise cancellijng in headphones (the earmuff type)

the in-ear-canal types oens are just noise isolating, as they work as an earplug, blocking out outside noise while projecting the sound directly in to your ear.