PDA

View Full Version : what mods void a warranty?

marko polo
08-18-2006, 11:42 AM
does anyone know what mods void a warranty of a new car? im asking because im planing on buying an 05 rsx-s with minor mods and would like to know before i make the purchase.

QuasarCav
08-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Only if the manafacturer can prove the aftermarket part caused the failure.

Best bet if to find a RSX with no mods, there are tonnes around just look for the roxy sticker and/or hello kitty license plate frame.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
08-18-2006, 11:57 AM
pretty much anything other than aesthetics thats not dealer installed can void your warranty

bmeier
08-18-2006, 12:54 PM
mods do not totally void your warranty it depends on what you do.

If you lower the car they want warranty your shocks, most small mods are ok (intake exhaust etc) its best to ask the service manager at your dealership what the policy is though just to be safe

Tik-Tok
08-18-2006, 12:58 PM
Im pretty sure we don't have anything like the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act the Amerikkkans have, I've searched hi and low for one and came up empty.

So it's pretty much up to the discresion of the dealership on what they will warranty if you mod a car.

If anyone has any factual info on this, please enlighten us all.

403Gemini
08-18-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by bmeier
mods do not totally void your warranty it depends on what you do.

If you lower the car they want warranty your shocks, most small mods are ok (intake exhaust etc) its best to ask the service manager at your dealership what the policy is though just to be safe

thats the best advice, i just go down to the dealership and ask before i purchase lol

edit: and intake doesnt ;) i know that for sure.

Crymson
08-18-2006, 03:49 PM
I would go one step further. Asking, likely wont get you a straight answer. I'd get it in writing. I can't tell you number of times for various things, when i'd had verbal confimation of something by some retard on the phone, only to find out it was completly false or contradictory to written policy, which holds up when the shit hits the fan.

Mar
08-18-2006, 03:58 PM
Read your warranty, that's the only way to know. But basically, you void the warranty of the part you replace. If you replace your stereo, you lose your stereo warranty. If you replace your wheels, you lose your wheel warranty.

Xtrema
08-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Read your warranty, that's the only way to know. But basically, you void the warranty of the part you replace. If you replace your stereo, you lose your stereo warranty. If you replace your wheels, you lose your wheel warranty.

What if you lower your ride and busted the body/rim on a bump?

I don't think it's that simple. I think it's better to have the mentality that if you mod, you don't get warranty. I'm sure dealer will reject a lot of stuff. And you'll probably waste a lot of time to argue til your face is blue to fight for coverage.

Sharpie
08-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

What if you lower your ride and busted the body/rim on a bump?

I don't think it's that simple. I think it's better to have the mentality that if you mod, you don't get warranty. I'm sure dealer will reject a lot of stuff. And you'll probably waste a lot of time to argue til your face is blue to fight for coverage.
You just answered you own question. You busted your body/rim because you lowered it.

Also to try and clear things up if something breaks because of the part it voids your warranty.. Its not that hard to understand.

20incheyes
08-18-2006, 05:24 PM
If a mod causes a malfunction, that parts warranty is voided along with anything which may result directly because of the mod.

SilverBoost
08-18-2006, 06:00 PM
If you install a CAI and you blow a MAFS, then they won't cover it in most places, which is understandable due to things like filter oil contaminating your sensor, possible water ingestion etc. If your tranny blows out after you installed a CAI, and they try to blame it on the CAI, tell them to stick it up their ass and bring it somewhere else, or write a letter. Common sense will most times tell you what affects what. And what you should expect to be covered.

I know a guy who installed a Nitrous kit, ran it, did some major damage and removed the kit and brought the car in. Because he was over 40 and didn't "look" like a kid who pounds on his car, they replaced his whole engine under warranty. I don't suggest trying to scam garages, but I'm making a point that most times you will be denied warranty work based simply on your looks. But if you bring it up the food chain, you'll find that you'll have no issues.

/2cents