PDA

View Full Version : Debating between 3 cars... any advice?

92tercel
08-18-2006, 02:41 PM
Hey, everyone. New here! :) Looks like a very cool forum. I'll jump straight in, and hopefully, I'm posting in the right spot for this one!

I'm debating between 3 cars. Toyota Yaris Sedan, Toyota Corolla, and the Honda Fit. I know the Fit's brand new, but what I was wondering... which do you think is the best? The safest? Do any of you have any one of these?

We're not going for flashy stuff per se, but we need a new car. Our old Tercel's seen better days. I know the prices and the specs of the 3 I mentioned, but I'd love to get a few first-hand accounts.

Thanks, I'll go check out the rest of the forum now, and check back here later :)

Mitsu3000gt
08-18-2006, 03:02 PM
The corolla is a "safe" purchase, as it is due for replacement and you can probably get a good deal on it, and with toyota you know you will have minimal problems with it.

The Yaris I have heard mixed things about, it will be extremely reliable but I think it's pricy for what you get.

The Honda fit would be my choice, it is getting rave reviews, has a surprising amount of space and practicality and has an interior fit for a much more expensive car. One of the car mags had it do either the slalom or emergency lane change (i forget which) as fast as a porsche 911 lol. I'm not sure how that can be, but that's what they said. I think they are hard to get though, I'm not sure - I thought there was a waiting list.

accord885
08-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Fit FTW:clap:

heavyD
08-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by accord885

X2.

It has more style than any non-Lexus Toyota.

spyce
08-18-2006, 03:11 PM
I would go for the Fit. I think it looks best out of all 3. And it should end up being fairly reliable too!

CivicTunr
08-18-2006, 03:13 PM
FIT FTW

x3

they also have been in superstreet, so you can always tune them later, haha. i saw one with a supercharger.

accord885
08-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Have you looked at the new Nissan Versa. Not a bad looking car either and its in the same ball bark. comes with a 6spd manual and i think its a 1.8L

FivE.SeveN
08-18-2006, 03:15 PM
Corollas are awesomely reliable and good on gas. Yaris = new echo... IMO a little too small, this isn't Europe. ;) Fit, TBH I've never driven before. It's a honda though, so it's a badass too.

The Yaris is the only one in your list that doesn't stack equally against the other two I think. I'd take the corolla, just 'cause the Fit is too wierd-lookin' for me!

teggypimp95
08-18-2006, 03:21 PM
They did a test on top gear including a few cars in the same class as the FIT. And the fit one pretty much every test they put it through. They all said on top gear it would be there choice.

Fit ftw

HRD2PLZ
08-18-2006, 03:26 PM
I would go Corolla over the Fit.

Toyota > Honda imo

jcrules99
08-18-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by accord885

:werd:

JRSC00LUDE
08-18-2006, 03:48 PM
Gimme an f - "F".
Gimme an i - "I".
Gimme a t - "T".

What does that spell? FIT?
Who makes fit? HONDA!
What are we gonna do? RECOMMEND IT TO YOU!

Ahhhh.....rekindling my childhood dream of leading a cheer. Fuck, I think I might be gay.....wife's gonna be pissed. :eek:

Xtrema
08-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Corolla is you can live with a Sedan.

But out of all 3, I'll go with Fit.

Most versatile of them all and it actually handles like a dream.

Versa is nice and big with a huge power plant for it's class. But people hates the programming of the CVT which make the engine work TOO hard, too loud.

92tercel
08-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks for all the replies, people! Much appreciated. :)

We were wondering, do any of you own a Honda Fit? If so, how does it drive? Are there any mechanical problems? Any rave reviews (or at least, are you happy with it?)

We've pretty much narrowed it down between the Corolla and the Fit now. The Fit's a great car, although we're so used to Toyota's stuff.

Also, one last Q: anyone know where to find a free consumer report on the web for those two cars? I've looked but unless I'm blind (entirely possible) so far a no go.

Thank you all again. Your opinions are totally valuable to us!

:D

schurchill39
08-18-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Gimme an f - "F".
Gimme an i - "I".
Gimme a t - "T".

Who makes fit? HONDA!

Ahhhh.....rekindling my childhood dream of leading a cheer. Fuck, I think I might be gay.....wife's gonna be pissed. :eek:

HAHAHA :rofl: :rofl:

I'm with cheer-boy, FIT

95EagleAWD
08-18-2006, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Gimme an f - "F".
Gimme an i - "I".
Gimme a t - "T".

Who makes fit? HONDA!

:rofl:

I'd love to be a cheerleader. You toss 105 pound University girls around all day... :bigpimp:

85regal
08-18-2006, 09:05 PM
i agree with taking a look at the nissan versa, brand new here but has been around in japan. also has the option of the cvt transmission, lots of room and very smooth to drive. i was surprised by it..

Sharpie
08-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

I'd love to be a cheerleader. You toss 105 pound University girls around all day... :bigpimp:
Sig material

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

I'd love to be a cheerleader.

But Id pick the 'rolla

EstoMax
08-18-2006, 09:44 PM
versa would probably be the fastest choice compared to the given cars above thanks to the CVT. Definately check that out too.

Otherwise Fit would probably be the one if it was only from the 3 above.

Xtrema
08-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by EstoMax
versa would probably be the fastest choice compared to the given cars above thanks to the CVT. Definately check that out too.

Otherwise Fit would probably be the one if it was only from the 3 above.

They mounted the 1.8 to the CVT but programmed to the JDM 1.5. Most reviewer said the CVT move the engine into unnecessary high rev. Other than that, it's not bad of a car, espeically considering all the gadgets you can get.

Back to 92tercel,

Fit isn't new. It's new to Canada but been in Japan for over 3 year and was the best seller in Japan for 2 of those 3. So most of the stuff is proven, (except may be our winter). It's a new line here so other than new car reviews, you won't find much else. But since it's made in Japan, quality shouldn't be that bad.

But if you want deals, Toyota probably clearing Corolla like mad. Altough you probably won't get much on price, you probably can get some free accesories thrown in.

HiSpec
08-18-2006, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by 92tercel

We were wondering, do any of you own a Honda Fit? If so, how does it drive? Are there any mechanical problems? Any rave reviews (or at least, are you happy with it?)

I dont' own one. But I went for a test drive (Sport model) with the padde automatic. I was quite impressed with the car, it feels more then 109hp (if i remember correctly), and the suspension sure feels like much more sportier then anyone would imagine, especially coming from this car.

Team_Mclaren
08-19-2006, 03:01 AM
+1 on th Versa, a customer brought one in and its very nice. For the price you get more than the fit can offer imo.

sl888
08-19-2006, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
+1 on th Versa, a customer brought one in and its very nice. For the price you get more than the fit can offer imo.
The Versa had a horrible review on Motoring 2006.
Fit FTW!

Iqoair
08-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by 92tercel
Thanks for all the replies, people! Much appreciated. :)

We've pretty much narrowed it down between the Corolla and the Fit now. The Fit's a great car, although we're so used to Toyota's stuff.

Also, one last Q: anyone know where to find a free consumer report on the web for those two cars? I've looked but unless I'm blind (entirely possible) so far a no go.

Thank you all again. Your opinions are totally valuable to us!

:D

The fit has been out in Europe for many years already. So I'd imagin they have already ironed out any of the bugs it may have had then. Very popular car in Europe, but I don't remember what they call it there.

ashee
08-19-2006, 08:35 AM
I personally like to corolla best but that's just me. On the manufacturer sites you can usually do a comparison between at least 3 vehicles so do one between those three and see what it has to say.

EK 2.0
08-19-2006, 08:38 AM
Honda Fit...

+

Mugen Parts

=

:bigpimp: Car