PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first car

zophy6
08-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Hey folks,

I'm new here! Been lurking a bit trying to figure out the best deals on used cars and stuff. I'm relatively low budget - I'm looking for my first car to be around $10,000 grand. I recently just got a big "boost" in funds, so it's a big improvement from my previous $5,000 budget. I'm 19 and at the U of C. I want something thats pretty nice looking and that I'll enjoy driving, I'm not so desperate for a ride as to buy an ugly car (I'd rather stick to the bus). Can anyone help me out? I've been thinking more and more a civic is probably the best way to go, but I've been frustrated by lemons in the auto trader that I've made trips to see (a MX-6 and a Dodge Avenger).

Also, can anyone tell me anything about "The Gallery of Fine Cars"? They seem to have stylish cars aimed at the young-male market, but I am always weary of dealerships, even though this places prices seem reasonable. Thanks for any help everyone!

Crymson
08-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Isn't that GoFC, a rebranded "hot wheels"? do a search for "Hot wheels auto" i think that's what they used to call themselves.

pinoyhero
08-18-2006, 03:45 PM
Go private if your on a tight budget eveg with used cars you pay gay at dealerships. If I was in your situation if go with a 97 or 98 lude they can be had for that price if your patient.

zophy6
08-18-2006, 03:53 PM
I don't think so. Hot Wheels is/was located in the SE, totally different address from the GofC. Might have rebranded it but I really have no idea, though it seems a bit drastic to move and totally rename etc.

CivicTunr
08-18-2006, 03:55 PM
i drive a honda civic hatch, its a good car.

HONDA FTW!:D

whiskas
08-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Do you plan on doing mechanical work on it yourself?

I wouldn't recommend anything new as a first car, it doesn't matter how much you try not to, the car is going to get abused.

Crymson
08-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by zophy6
I don't think so. Hot Wheels is/was located in the SE, totally different address from the GofC. Might have rebranded it but I really have no idea, though it seems a bit drastic to move and totally rename etc.

The reason i'm saying this is because i used to have their stock page bookmarked on my computer. Sometime last year the hotweels website went down, and it was replaced with some kind of placeholder. But they didn't break all the links, and my bookmark still worked -- but obviously no content was being updated.

However, just before the gallery of fine cars launched, the old hotwheels link i had had been converted to gallery of fine cars livery.

Cornfed
08-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Yes I am 100% sure GoFC and Hotwheels are the same. I suggest not buying a car from there. My friend bought one from them last year and the paint is starting to come off. Basically what I heard was they take some not-so-decent cars, make them just look as nice as they can, and sell them for more than they're worth. That's from what I've heard/seen at least...

Jynx
08-18-2006, 11:33 PM
Weapon R was sellin a 97 lude for 9500, preety good price.

Not sure if its still for sale

go check the marketplace

Anton
08-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Buy mine. It sure isn't a lemon as well.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141872

snade831
08-19-2006, 10:09 AM
You can't go wrong with a Honda. Good reliable cars, and used ones are usually decentley priced.

ashee
08-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Anton
Buy mine. It sure isn't a lemon as well.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141872

That looks like a nice car, if only I had 10k

Anton
08-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by ashee
That looks like a nice car, if only I had 10k

Thanks, it is a very nice solid, clean car!

I wish you had 10,000 too.

max_boost
08-19-2006, 11:51 AM
http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=22418791&pgno=3&srt=7

Look for a Civic 99/00 Sedan. I found my GF's brother a 00 Civic SE Sedan with powered locks, air con, remote starter, full set of winters on steelies with 74,000kms for $10,500. We bargained them down from $11,500. Took it to TireCraft for a quick inspection, needs new front brake pads, windshield and alignment, that's it!

The mileage is incredibly low for the year and there were no rock chips. Car drivers perfect. Great first car for a 19 year old. He's starting University as well.

Good luck dude.