PDA

View Full Version : Turbocharger rebuild tech question....

verbatim
08-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Hey guys,

So i purchased a T-3 rebuild kit for my '86 300zx, and have it all together. However, I just would like to know how the shaft should sping after new-re assembly. I can turn mine, but it wont make a full spin if I just turn it with my hands. Should there be a bit of resistance in the bearings? Nothing is scraping.. it just a bit "tight" like turning a new alternator bearing. I remember when I took it apart, it did not spin like a top, I Just want to make sure everything is okay. Also before I tighten down the compressor wheel, If I just have the two wheels connected on the shaft, without tighten, it will spin very very freely. It seems when I tighten down the compressor wheel nut it gets tighter.

Also how tight should I bolt up the Compressor backing plate to the center housing?

Thanks!!

racin_jayson
08-20-2006, 12:00 PM
There should be torque specs for the turbo with the rebuild kit, with new bearings it will feel tighter until it gets spun in the first time. Shouldnt be binding though. It gets tighter when you snug the compressor wheel because you are preloading the trhrust bearing.

MrSector9
08-20-2006, 12:09 PM
also depending on the assembly oil/grease you used it will have more resistance.

it seems however like stated above you are over torqing the wheel.

verbatim
08-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks jason,

Thats what I was thinking, just wanted to confirm that. No its not binding at all.. just feels a bit tighter then usual. Your answer makes perfect sense, with the pre-load and all.

Thanks!