PDA

View Full Version : photo radar hotspots

jay42w8
08-20-2006, 11:24 AM
being from vancouver and not used to it...these photo radar tickets are starting to drive me nuts haha...got 2 from the same area...14St around 33rd ave and 29th ave....also got one on memorial passign downtown....any other places to watch out for???....plus people have told me their placed outside a van parked on the side of the road yet ive never seen this van :dunno:

aklalani
08-20-2006, 11:40 AM
going down 17th ave approaching sarcee, there is a police station and just after the police station about 75% of the time there is a caravan doin photo radar. also going down bow trail after passing shaganappi golf course, there is sometimes a caravan parked on the right side takin photos

rc2002
08-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Do you not watch out for those vans? They're pretty easy to spot on the major road ways.

Watch for them on bow trail east heading into downtown, crowchild north heading into downtown, 50th avenue east heading towards macleod trial, crowchild trail south just after the 33rd ave exit, deerfoot trail south just before the memorial drive exit, 14 Street north/south just before/after heritage drive, 17th avenue Westbound just before Crowchild, etc. etc.

The hard ones to spot are in the residential communities when they park between cars. I've gotten one there before. Other than those, just keep your eye open.

Oh and the radio always announces this kind of thing when people call it in. Plus they publish it in the newspaper/on the calgary police services website

SilverBoost
08-20-2006, 11:47 AM
I got one when I first moved here because I didn't even know they used vans.

Since then, not one. It's pretty easy to spot unless you're really not paying attention. In the winter they leave them running. And most times they are in very conspicuous places - you know, where you wouldn't expect to see someone parked.

I've seen the vans in silver, burgundy, and tan/gold I believe - there's even one that's white that has safety decals all over it for the people who really are blind and need that extra fighting chance.

Personally I just don't risk blowing by vans parked on the side of major roads. There's one on the side of 17th ave going up the hill toward the chiuldrens hospital sometimes. Trouble is is that there is a silver van that parks there regularly but evry now and then they'll put the photo radar van there as well. Sneaky. Point - don't get too comfortable just because you've sen a van parked somewhere one or twice that wasn't a photovan.

Also, - and I'd have to see another one to confirm this - but I'm pretty sure they tint them darker so you can't see through the back as you apparach them and see the photo/radar equipment. Regular vans are tinted too, but not so dark that if you're appraching frmo the back that you can't see the front windshield.

The equipment is pretty substantial and sits on the dash and is hard to miss if you drive by and look over at it.

As for locations, it's mostly high traffic areas. I've seen them 4 different places on 17th ave. I've seen them in a ton of places on 37th street between 17th and richmond road.

They are on the deerfoot now and then. Just look for any van parked on the shoulder. Not hard to spot. But again, you'll get nailed if you're too busy chatting to your friend or just not paying attention, which you should be doing.

Basically they have them all over the place. Keep your eyes open and pay attention and once you see one you'll wonder how you ever missed it.

FivE.SeveN
08-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Glenmore Trail -- the construction area in the SW between Elbow Dr and Crowchild. It's a 50 ZONE so you get 2 tickets, 1 for speeding, 1 for speeding in a construction area. Brutal.

That's the 1 road I won't speed on in this entire city -- I live right on it so I watch cops/photoradar pick people off every day.

rc2002
08-20-2006, 11:51 AM
They do have darker tint, and they're usually very clean. You never see a dirty one. But it's not even limited to minivans. I got one on crowchild and it was inside a sedan - a Chrysler New Yorker.

l8braker
08-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Use caution on Elbow Dr. SW. From 4th St. to Canyon Meadows, they usually have the radar out somewhere. The absolute worst is the massive playground zone they have that ends before 5th St. and Elbow... i've been tagged there so many times from the vans, but have never gotten a ticket yet :devil:

Proboscis
08-20-2006, 12:00 PM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/proboscis100/cps1.jpg

There once every week or so, pretty easy to spot the crusier

clem24
08-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Southbound 14th Street NW between John Laurie and Northmount. Limit is 50, and tough to stay under cause of the downhill. Usually, they tag people with lasers, but about a year ago, they've been parking their van on the side of the street. So if you aren't paying attention, then it just looks like one of the parked cars. Sometimes, they get really sneaky and backup the van right up to another parked car, so you basically don't see it. Word of advice, KEEP IT UNDER 50 going down that stretch.

Another popular area is southbound 10th Ave NW right at the Confederation Park parking lot. They'll park their van right inside the parking lot, which is right beside the roadway. Again, KEEP IT UNDER 50... B/C, they also have laser right at the top of the hill that follows the parking lot (got caught there once), and they commonly also have lasers in the morning while hiding in the alley across from King George School (which is a school zone).

So basically, if you aren't careful, you can potentially get nabbed 3 times within 10 minutes if you go 14th -> Northmount -> 10th Ave -> King George. I've personally seen an instance where there was a van parked by Confed and then another cop at the school zone.

Streetfire
08-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Come on People, these days....its easier to list the places the cops DON'T patrol. They can be anywhere. Watch out in construction zones, fines double.

A2VR6
08-20-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Southbound 14th Street NW between John Laurie and Northmount. Limit is 50, and tough to stay under cause of the downhill. Usually, they tag people with lasers, but about a year ago, they've been parking their van on the side of the street. So if you aren't paying attention, then it just looks like one of the parked cars. Sometimes, they get really sneaky and backup the van right up to another parked car, so you basically don't see it. Word of advice, KEEP IT UNDER 50 going down that stretch.

Another popular area is southbound 10th Ave NW right at the Confederation Park parking lot. They'll park their van right inside the parking lot, which is right beside the roadway. Again, KEEP IT UNDER 50... B/C, they also have laser right at the top of the hill that follows the parking lot (got caught there once), and they commonly also have lasers in the morning while hiding in the alley across from King George School (which is a school zone).

So basically, if you aren't careful, you can potentially get nabbed 3 times within 10 minutes if you go 14th -> Northmount -> 10th Ave -> King George. I've personally seen an instance where there was a van parked by Confed and then another cop at the school zone.

Also 14th street between northmount and 24 ave is known for alot of photo radar enforcement, they always have speed trap or a van parked there.

ashee
08-20-2006, 01:15 PM
1. Bus stop by Richmond Green eastbound on 33rd SW just after 29th St., or just further up at the entrance of the gold course.

2. Northbound on Crowchild just before the 9th ave turn off where it goes from 80 to 70km/h.

3. Almost anywhere along southbound 37th St. SW.

4. Westbound on bow trail just after the 50km/h construction zone but before the 70km/h sign, so they can still catch you for speeding in a construction zone because you haven't reached a new speed limit sign yet.

_wrx_
08-20-2006, 01:21 PM
center street bridge yo

jay42w8
08-21-2006, 12:27 AM
here's a better question....how long does it take from the offence to getting the ticket in the mail...im all worried even more now...:rofl:

ashee
08-21-2006, 12:28 AM
How many kms over do they get you? 10?

glennc
08-21-2006, 12:34 AM
16th and 12th NW heading westbound on the hill.

Sometimes on edmonton trail heading northbound.

Centre st before mcnight heading southbound.

3G
08-21-2006, 12:47 AM
52nd Southbound between 16th Ave and Memorial, then it likes to around the corner and sit on memorial

theken
08-21-2006, 01:02 AM
Barlow trail by 114th in the SE, Ogden road, all over the place on Ogden road, Glenmore trail at night as soon as you come over the little hill before Deerfoot, they hide behind the Deerfoot sign, Crowchild before 50th ave, then later on near Marda Loop, also further up, by Chinook they like to sit in the parking lot when it drops to a 50 zone, pick you off and you can't even see them.

That about all I know off of the top of my head, theres tonnes more, they are pretty much everywhere. OH yeah! in the Staples parking lot on 9th ave as soon as you go over the crossover from hmmm 14th? By Millenium skate park/Science center.

nonsane
08-21-2006, 07:42 AM
There was a law passed a while ago that in order to use the photo radar there must be a sign posted to warn that there is photoradar in the area. I do the speedlimit in those areas(there's not very many). The rest you can speed without issue. For deerfoot if there is a newish vehicle on the side of the road slow down. If you don't someone else will.

I also look ahead on the road and look for people braking that have nothing in front of them(usually there is police right there)

sh0ko
08-21-2006, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by nonsane
There was a law passed a while ago that in order to use the photo radar there must be a sign posted to warn that there is photoradar in the area. I do the speedlimit in those areas(there's not very many). The rest you can speed without issue. For deerfoot if there is a newish vehicle on the side of the road slow down. If you don't someone else will.

I also look ahead on the road and look for people braking that have nothing in front of them(usually there is police right there)

isnt there that law now anytime after sundown or its dark or w/e it is... cops who are doing photoradar MUST have their hazard lights on?

topmade
08-21-2006, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure, but isn't the Photoradar locations published in the Calgary Sun every day for that day? And if so you should be able to find it online even though I did a quick check and couldn't find it.

avow
08-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Streetfire
Come on People, these days....its easier to list the places the cops DON'T patrol. They can be anywhere. Watch out in construction zones, fines double.

fines are only doubled when there are construction workers working there if i am not mistaken. either way though speeding through playground zones and construstion zones is probabl the only time i dont speed. its almost disrespectful i find :S

nonsane
08-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by sh0ko

isnt there that law now anytime after sundown or its dark or w/e it is... cops who are doing photoradar MUST have their hazard lights on?

I doubt it. Even then how would you fight that?

http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/police/news/photoradar.html

seems they haven't updated it in well over a year.

3g4me
08-21-2006, 12:25 PM
There was a cop at the glenmore/14th street turn off today, he was pretty much hiddn because all the workers are wearing the neon yellow vests too so he was hard to spot. just a heads up:thumbsup:

accord885
08-21-2006, 02:29 PM
10th St NW Just under the LRT bridge, right by SAIT.

kaput
08-21-2006, 02:49 PM

h_s
08-21-2006, 03:06 PM
under the bridges of 52nd and 36th street one 16th avenue N.E

on mcknight blvd around between 36th street and barlow trail N.E

scattered in neighborhoods after schoolzones and behind fences