PDA

View Full Version : High Intensity Interval Training

acura_el
08-20-2006, 12:28 PM
I tried a search and didn't really find anything. I read it's really good for cutting, anyone tried/trying this right now?

If so, how have the results been?

Howl
08-20-2006, 12:45 PM
try googleing circuit training instead, u should get a lot of info

rahim
08-20-2006, 12:51 PM
circuit training is not the same thing, try a google search for HIIT alot of info should come up

1-Bar
08-20-2006, 12:56 PM
high intensity interval training can be summed up as:
reaching close to HR max, recovering and then going up to HR max.

This way is very efficient in buring calories and getting "shredded", the downfalls are if your CV is not up to par your recovery time is long and thus HIIT is not as effective as it could be.

Its pretty easy to do though, you can set it up as upper 1/2, or lower 1/2, full body, core...etc.

Chose a number of exercises and then throw in a Heart Rate exercise every so often. Usually I go 2-3 regular exercises for a 1 min duration and then a heart rate one for 45seconds very high intensity (ie. sprints, jump squats, mountain climbers, ladders....etc)

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

acura_el
08-20-2006, 04:19 PM
i tried googling it and got a lot of useful info, but i was just curious if anyone on beyond has got some real results using this method

thanks and keep the info coming :thumbsup:

TVG
08-20-2006, 10:19 PM
I do hill sprinting on sundays. Basically run up a steep hill as fast as I can, try not to puke, and then walk slowly down. I do that about 6 times and im pretty exhausted. Hard to say if I've gotten results, I know it burns a lot less muscle than normal long session cardio though.

Traffic_Cop
08-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Try this:-

1. Running:
* 30-45 minutes at a 9-10 minute mile pace.
* Goal: 5K continuous run under 30 minutes.

(Hint: If you are unable to run the 5K distance, run/walk the 5K and build up to a consistent run.)

Once you are comfortable with the 5K distance run and are ready to add extra intensity, perform small speed “pick-ups” throughout your run. (10-20) second speed intervals will help to build strength and increase endurance). Remember to return to normal running pace between intervals.

2. Stairmaster/Stationary Bicycle:

This training should be “secondary” to running and should be used to “cross-train” to give your legs a break when needed. When working on a stairmaster or stationary bicycle, be sure to work at a high enough intensity to reach the upper end of your heart rate training zone. To increase intensity on the bike do either “speed” intervals (1-2 minutes) or “intensity” intervals (1-2 minutes—high tension). The duration of these workouts should be 30-45 minutes and should be an occasional alternate to running—NOT A REPLACEMENT.

3. Skipping/Relay Courses/Stairs:

Complement your 5K run with higher intensity/shorter duration cardio vascular activities as described.

Skipping (Rope):

Skip at a fast, high intensity level for 1-2 minutes (5-6 sets).

Relay Courses:

In a gymnasium type area set up a simple running/jumping style relay course. Include jumping over objects, running around objects (mats, pylons, etc.). Repeat this course 20-30 seconds (6-10 times).

Stairs:

Train yourself to run up and run down sets of 6-10 steps. Do not hold on to a side rail. Practice taking both single and double steps. Repeat for 8-10 minutes. (Note: The higher intensity cardiovascular training (skipping, relay courses, stairs, etc.) should be added to the workout program once you are comfortable with the 5K distance run. This training should be performed in “addition” to your run, and should not replace it).

****We used this as a training for PARE conditioning, You definately loose a lot of excess fat, really cuts you in about 4-6 weeks you can see a difference. Only problem I had is that it takes you away from upper body workouts. You will reach max H/R or close to max H/R......awesome work out, not good though if you want to bulk up.