PDA

View Full Version : Question(s) regarding Right-Hand Drive cars.

wired'sspecv
08-20-2006, 01:51 PM
With the amount of imported Japanese (right hand drive) cars roaming around town lately. I've often wondered about how the cockpit of the car is set up for Right-Hand Drive vehicles. Maybe someone who owns one can set the record straight.

1. Are the pedals (clutch, brake, accelerator) still aligned in that order?

2. On manual transmission equipped cars, does the progression of the gears still go from left to right?

Anything else thats different from the North American spec cars?

P.S. Sorry I posted this in the wrong section...I couldn't delete it once it was done.

Ghettobaby
08-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Pedals and shift pattern are the same as left hand drive. windshield wiper and signal control change places so signal is on the right of the steering wheel and winshield wiper control on teh left. Thats about it.

liquidboi69
08-20-2006, 02:16 PM
One thing to really take into consideration about RHD cars is that when your at a light turning left, you can't see oncoming traffic since you sit on the RH side instead of LHs.

I would imagine that being a problem perhaps.

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-20-2006, 02:17 PM
but that problem is mentioned in every single thread about RHD and i'm sure he's aware of it, which is why he was specific in his questions

Lo)2enz0
08-20-2006, 02:19 PM
if you think thats a problem, just wait for the light to go yellow and than go

rhd is easy to drive, after 10 min you will figure it out. the signal switch and the wiper switch are backwards though. everyone, like 99% of people who drive a rhd car the first time always hit the wipers. unless they already know about it

andres_mt
08-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
if you think thats a problem, just wait for the light to go yellow and than go

rhd is easy to drive, after 10 min you will figure it out. the signal switch and the wiper switch are backwards though. everyone, like 99% of people who drive a rhd car the first time always hit the wipers. unless they already know about it

bahahha so true.

Cornfed
08-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
like 99% of people who drive a rhd car the first time always hit the wipers. unless they already know about it

I already knew about it and I hit the wipers severals times still :rofl:

SilverBoost
08-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Well the wipers on my truck are on the opposite side of the wipers in my car, so I assume since no two cars of different makes are alike, you learn where stuff is at like any other car you drive. I could put myself into any new north american car and it still takes a few minutes to learn where shit is.

The only two issues I see with RHD is the obvious one of having the best vantage point while driving on roads designed for LHD vehicles, and then the shifting with the opposite hand.

Bonus though, you can park along any curb any get out on a busy road without worrying about opening your door into trafffic.

An aspect that makes me wish 90% of the people on 17th ave had when they are begging me to take their doors off with my front bumper.