PDA

View Full Version : car audo in home but how do i get a singnle io my amp??

ckgoldenfields
08-20-2006, 03:18 PM
ok so im having a party and i want to put my MTX 12's in my house and i started to do some re-search and i found an old fourm on how to power it up im my house but now that i know that but now i need to know how to hook it up to my home theater sytem. like i thought i could just take my spliter directkly to the amp and hook up the iopd to it but than it will be pure bass.
and sometimes thats not a bad thing but i want to hook it tru my onkyo home sysem so i can ust the speakers and the subs that are hooked up to that system so this is really confuseing me and now i want to figer it out

( and if that was confusing to some one who read it here is exactly what i am trying to do)

so i have 2 MTX 12's with a sony 1000 watt amp and a 1/2 farid battery cap and the rated 30 amp charger with a optama red top and now i want to hook it up to my onkyo home theater system so i will have some mids and highs not just bass

i was thinking of using a double Y spliter or something but i need serious help with this !!!!

please help!!!

Audio_Rookie
08-20-2006, 03:27 PM
dosnt your onkyo reciever have pre-outs?

ckgoldenfields
08-20-2006, 03:36 PM
yes a ton of them

ckgoldenfields
08-20-2006, 03:40 PM
so i could like take a RCA out put from the back of the onkyo and send it to the amp and do it that way and by doing that i could still use every thing thats hooked up to the reciver ? like ipod, cd changer, tv, computer, PS2 ext....
??

Jonathan@TCS
08-24-2006, 08:56 AM
If you are hooking up a sub to your onkyo amp, Just use the sub preout on your onkyo. It should be a rca preout. Then everything on your onkyo will work, and play through the sub, and your speakers.

soupey
08-24-2006, 10:12 AM
k wait from waht i understand, the main problem ur gona have is finding a power source to run the subs with.

all u need from ur amp is a preout (such as teh sub out, or tape out, or whatever line level output u have), then plug that directly into your amp, and u should have bass...

unless your running this from ur car, i dont see how ur gona be able to maintain enough power to run the subs well...it might cut out quite a bit....what kind of power supply are u gona use to get 12-14v to it?

03ozwhip
08-24-2006, 10:31 AM
also, dont put yoyur subs anywhere near your TV, it will blow your tube and make it change all different colors... just FYI

Alterac
08-24-2006, 01:22 PM
Soupey:

Originally posted by ckgoldenfields
1/2 farad cap, rated 30 amp charger, optima red top battery

If he hooks it up properly it should be fine, 30A charger to battery, then the cap then the amp. Shouldnt be too bad.

A little stupid for some extra bass but whatever.

Are those Red Tops Self contained? or will he have to make sure it doesnt leak, or get knocked over?

Crymson
08-24-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
also, dont put yoyur subs anywhere near your TV, it will blow your tube and make it change all different colors... just FYI

Funny store -- and stupid on my part.

I KNEW that the magnets interfere with the electron guns in CRT tv's, but being a boneheaded knumbskull, i left a 10inch sub on top of an old (but not broken) 15 inch TV in a storage closet for about a year, and one day i gave the TV to my little brother, without thinking (just pulled it out of the closet).

Soo, he calles me later and he's like "you're tv is really... fucked up?"

So i go over there and the people on TV are all purple and green, and the images are all warped around where the sub was sitting.

Pretty rad -- but not so rad if its youre good TV.

theken
08-24-2006, 01:44 PM
whydont you just go buy a home theater sub, they are like 100 bucks, then take it back when the party is over

ckgoldenfields
08-24-2006, 08:20 PM
lol thanks 4 all the help
and to Alterac yes the battery is contained thats y i paid so muce 4 it plus the cold cranking amps are amaing and it wont be just a little added bass it will be a shit load
and to 03ozwhip thanks so much for that info i wouldent want that
and to theken i all ready have 2 home theather subs but i still want the 12's also lol i love bass

ok so it will be a total of 1725 watts i mean its going to be crazzy tow MTX 12's and to home theater powered 8's that allready soind good but thanks 4 all the help and i figred it out about the sub out put i will just have to by 2 more Y splittera and some 0 gauge wire lol thats will be bumpen

carter_prelude
08-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Alterac
Soupey:

If he hooks it up properly it should be fine, 30A charger to battery, then the cap then the amp. Shouldnt be too bad.

A little stupid for some extra bass but whatever.

Are those Red Tops Self contained? or will he have to make sure it doesnt leak, or get knocked over?

ORRRR take the power supply adapter from an old computer...just happends to be a 120v - 12v adapter, thats what i was told :thumbsup:

Supa Dexta
08-26-2006, 08:49 AM
a sony 1000w amp isnt going to get you anywares near 1700+w even if you add in the home theatres output (and 0g wire? for what??) .. Hook it up and see how it goes, but dont be suprised if it isnt that good, but get drunk and you wont even pay attention to it as long as theres background noise...

Mar
08-26-2006, 09:35 AM
Ya I've never seen any respectable amount of power come out of a Sony amp. But your subs are made specifically for a contained space, so they're probably going to sound worse than your 2 home theater subs in your living room where it's so open.

soupey
08-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by carter_prelude

ORRRR take the power supply adapter from an old computer...just happends to be a 120v - 12v adapter, thats what i was told :thumbsup:

a computer power supply will NOT be able to handle the load of an amp that size, it'll keep cutting in and out cuz it cant keep up...

i wasnt sure about the red top + charger being enough, but if u guys say soooooo, does the charger recharge the battery similarly to what an alternator would do? i'd assume it couldnt do as great of a job, but i could be wrong...

having 2 12's in the house will sound like ass but it'll b fine if its a busy party....that and...your really gona wana ask ur neighbors if they wont mind their walls shaking for a nite...or else expect a complaint or a cop at ur door at some point....

ckgoldenfields
08-28-2006, 03:41 PM
lol i realize that it will sound like ass in an opean area so that y im facing them towad the wall under a bigg woden table so the bass will bounce around and shit so i hope it will do good and thanks again every one and i will let you guys know about how it goes sep10 (day after party) lol if i wake up and feel up to it hint hint lol
C.K.

Alterac
08-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Are we all invited on Sept 9th? :D

ckgoldenfields
08-28-2006, 05:10 PM
lol i guss ware do u guys live

soupey
08-28-2006, 05:33 PM
guess, where...

ckgoldenfields
08-28-2006, 05:37 PM
lol ok
ware the heck is that?

Alterac
08-28-2006, 06:43 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Boone,+NC+to+Calgary,+Ab,+Canada&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=5

About 2400 Miles away. LOL around 48hours.