PDA

View Full Version : Suprising job pays over six digits

energieboi
08-21-2006, 09:31 AM
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Forbes/10SurprisingSixFigureJobs.aspx?GT1=8472

Super_Geo
08-21-2006, 09:45 AM
Interesting article :thumbsup: I have a friend who's trying to become an air traffic controller, though I hear there's like only 5 places in Canada where you can train (Van, Edmonton, Toronto... forgot the other two).

energieboi
08-21-2006, 09:55 AM
you have pm about that job your offering Super Geo ^^^

sputnik
08-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Air Traffic Control is one of the most stressful jobs in existence.

Weapon_R
08-21-2006, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

:werd:

I believe that many of them leave the position in their 40s and do not return to the job due to stress-related problems.

natejj
08-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
Interesting article :thumbsup: I have a friend who's trying to become an air traffic controller, though I hear there's like only 5 places in Canada where you can train (Van, Edmonton, Toronto... forgot the other two).

I am currently in the process of becoming an air traffic controller.... theres one place in Canada where they train you, and that is in Cornwall ontario. After school, you go to almost anywhere in Canada, including Inuvik for on the job training.

6 figures ftw

energieboi
08-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

more stressful then the ppl that works at the stock market and constantly on their feets yelling and screaming and pulling their hair out?

Anything related to the airport is stressful, bc everything from everything has to be perfect, on time, and again perfect.

benyl
08-21-2006, 12:51 PM
I had a friend who went from being a currency trader to an ATC. He said it is less stressful.

As a currency trader, he was exchanged $100+ million per trade.

max_boost
08-21-2006, 02:05 PM
I read that article this morning and was going to post it hehe I don't think it's really surprising, maybe just to those recently graudated University kids who aren't making nearly as much as those working these types of jobs ;)

I have a couple buddies who are truck drivers with Cal Frac making $100k gross with full benefits. I also have a buddy who's a freshly graduated unemployed Marketing student haha :D

It's all good though. At the end of the day, if you are happy and making good money, that's all that matters :thumbsup:

scat19
08-21-2006, 08:24 PM

lol.

A lot of places do, yyc and ybw do it, and thats local to us meng.

pinoyhero
08-21-2006, 08:39 PM
You post should be editted, its say "over six figures" i.e. 7 figures as in 1,000,000 +

jay42w8
08-21-2006, 08:56 PM
^ LOL were u disappointed?

djayz
08-21-2006, 09:00 PM
good post ...few of my family members wanted me to become a air traffic controller and after some research i decided against it. It is a stressful job when your telling airplanes carrying 300+ passengers where to go.

pressmen on the other hand for the work they do they get paid pretty poorly. Its a dirty job thats fast paced and the hours can be long. pretty dangerous too when your skin soaks up all that ink and your ears listen to that winding sound when the press is running its damn loud. I know this cuz i work at a printing warehouse.

i didnt know a school principal gets payed around 100k thats interesting.

toyboy88
08-21-2006, 11:41 PM
wow court reporter...200wpm..i still got another 110wpm to go :eek:

sexualbanana
08-22-2006, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
I also have a buddy who's a freshly graduated unemployed Marketing student haha :D

Hey, fuck you. :guns:

Super_Geo
08-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I have a couple buddies who are truck drivers with Cal Frac making $100k gross with full benefits. I also have a buddy who's a freshly graduated unemployed Marketing student haha :D

Yeah, but being a truck driver licks the cat's balls... :thumbsdow

max_boost
08-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Hey, fuck you. :guns:

Dude I was just joking around. :drama:

It's not something I would want to get into either but such a demand for them right now.

core_upt
08-22-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by djayz

pressmen on the other hand for the work they do they get paid pretty poorly. Its a dirty job thats fast paced and the hours can be long. pretty dangerous too when your skin soaks up all that ink and your ears listen to that winding sound when the press is running its damn loud. I know this cuz i work at a printing warehouse.

not to mention the specialization - all the press guys at my shop have to pretty much know how to take a part/rebuild their press for maintenence. Plus they need to have hawk like eyes to detect the smallest imperfecton on a sheet or colour shift in a print run.

$100,000/Yr seems like a stretch though - maybe for teh head pressman at the Herald or Transcontinental, but not in your average shop.

100K for elementary school principal? WTF? High school MAYBE, but I can't see it happening in Alberta (maybe 'cause our education system is controlled by a dropout premier)

accord885
08-22-2006, 02:56 PM
school principals get paid basied on the number of students in the school usually. my mom is a VP (they have the same pay scale)

VP of a school with 280 kids = 75,000/year

Xtrema
08-22-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by energieboi

more stressful then the ppl that works at the stock market and constantly on their feets yelling and screaming and pulling their hair out?

Anything related to the airport is stressful, bc everything from everything has to be perfect, on time, and again perfect.

You can't compare losing millions of dollars for a rich guy/fund vs losing 300 live when you make a mistake.

s dime
08-22-2006, 04:51 PM

I enjoy it bud :dunno: to each their own i guess :thumbsup:

Ven
08-22-2006, 09:17 PM
I know 2 former air traffic controllers. One lasted 3 years and the other lasted 5 years, which was considered a pretty long term in that field. One of them now works at Wal-Mart in the lube center and the other sells furniture at the Brick. Both talked at length about the stress they dealt with, but are now totally happy at $16/hr in no stress jobs. Total lifestyle changes for them. Actually, total life changes for them would be more accurate.

Cliffs: Bob and Rahim both say don't be an ATC :)

redx2nv
08-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Those are some shitty jobs..

Get in the trades, if you know what your doing, 100k is not a problem.

Super_Geo
08-23-2006, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by s dime

I enjoy it bud :dunno: to each their own i guess :thumbsup:

Sorry, I don't mean to rip on anyone's profession... it just seems like long hours on the road would be pretty monotonous. At least the pay is cush though, especially with the shortage in central Alberta.

khtm
08-23-2006, 08:07 AM
If you look at the median income of people in most of those positions, I guarantee it would be less than $100K.

"Sales person"? Yeah...ok. Maybe if you're selling $200,000 sports cars.
:rolleyes:

HiSpec
08-23-2006, 08:16 AM
Being an ATC now is not as stressful as before a few years back. If anyone has been inside the Control Tower, they'll see that the landing and takeoff is not directed by one controller. But its spread into 4 or 5 controllers. When one controller is done giving the pilot his/her instruction(s) according to the controller's position in the tower, then the controller sends the pilot to another controller for further instruction. Kinda like line-maintenance. But yes it is still a very stressful job, because in a busy airport and schedule you have to remember where each aircraft is in the sky and what order they are suppose to land in, and how far apart they are.

energieboi
08-23-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by khtm
If you look at the median income of people in most of those positions, I guarantee it would be less than $100K.

Yeah I was wondering about that! It must be real estate agents or car salesman.

I wonder how much does those fashion freaks make at HOLT RENFREW they look like they make decent money.:dunno:

core_upt
08-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by energieboi

Yeah I was wondering about that! It must be real estate agents or car salesman.

3 out of the 8 sales people at my office (printing) make over 100K, one maked over 250K...
If you work in sales for O&G gas suppliers, 100K is very attainable too.

But yeah, sales is a VERY generic term, encompassing guys that sell multi million dollar products to guys working at a cell phone kiosk...

I'd imagine Holt employees do quite well - as for their look, clothing is generally marked up 100% to 250%, so staff discount helps them keep in style.

dieselpower91
08-23-2006, 03:15 PM

Sorry, I don't mean to rip on anyone's profession... it just seems like long hours on the road would be pretty monotonous. At least the pay is cush though, especially with the shortage in central Alberta.

From what I have heard alot of trucking companies are now offering normal shifts and positions. Basically no long hauls if you don't want them. Weekends off and such.

HeavyD111
08-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Trucking for oil and gas companies in the patch can also bring 100K if you have the right company. Tons of hours though..

Pacman
08-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by khtm

I would be quite surprised if most professional sales people are making less than 100k/year.

Most of the guys working at Xerox right out of university were making between 65k and 100k in their first year, and that was their first job right out of university. It only takes a few years before you can start making in the 100k to 250k range in a B2B sales position if you have the "right stuff".