PDA

View Full Version : Rap goin in the pooper?

403Gemini
08-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Alright, ill start off with "not everybody likes rap" so if you are planning in coming in here and just spouting off "cant spell crap without RAP! *lol*!!!!!111!!1!one!!!" then save it ;)

different strokes for different folks and i listen to all types of music (yes including classical and country ;) )

but finboy posted this in that damn k-fed thread

Originally posted by finboy
this truly signifies that rap is now in its hair metal stage.

question is, who's going to be the nirvana of the rap world to stop all of this stupid blinged out wannabe bs? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Is this true? I have satellite radio and i hear all the "latest" stuff... and well... i fucking hate it. Nothing has a good beat anymore. Nothing has a solid sound to it.

Yea lots of people dont liek 50 cent but get rich or die trying was an amazing cd! compare that to massacre and it doesnt even sound like the same guy.

I would even say the Slim Shady Show (em's 3rd cd) put down some serious / hard beats like soldier.

And of course the classics like NWA, Older Ice Cube, and of course, Tupac. Shit even some shit from puff daddy (yup thats what he was called when i enjoyed his music and i refuse to call him p.diddy or whatever the fuck he wants to be called now) like the benjamins rock remix was great.

But now everything is recycled and not even from old stuff. Some "artists" are ripping shit off from songs that are only a year old.

Id hafta say last best rap cd i bought was The Game documentary

So what is your thoughts guys? Is it just going in the shitter? Is there nothing left?

jcrules99
08-21-2006, 12:03 PM
i agree, all the new shit sounds the same... all this new down south shit sounds the same, although i am lovin T.I's tracks

my faves all-time would have to be chronic 2001 and the documentary. get rich or die tryin was also good

D'z Nutz
08-21-2006, 12:06 PM
There have been very few good hip-hop albums since the mid 90's. I can probably name off only about a dozen albums that impressed me since then. Hip-hop isn't going in the shitter. It's been in the shitter for well over a decade. Only now is it becoming obvious for some people (unfortunately not all). I don't even know who some of these new "artists" are. They keep pumping them out with the same cookie-cutter template.

tyrone
08-21-2006, 12:09 PM
I agree but i seem to have found stuff that is new, not mainstream and just really good
looking @ the cd's you guys have liked most recently i think u guys would enjoy underground stuff wayyy more.

slickk
08-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Is rap goin down the shitter? Maybe... I just burn all my CDs, pick and choose only the best beats.

Hip Hop's where its at. There is a fine line between rap and hip hop but as I get older, my taste in music changes and I dislike rap more and more these days. Hip Hop with a good beat and lots of bass is still #1 in my cd case.

And i don't mean that Vibe 98.5 shit.

DepTrotter
08-21-2006, 12:11 PM
raps in the pooper

all im listening to now is r n b

403Gemini
08-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by jcrules99
i agree, all the new shit sounds the same... all this new down south shit sounds the same, although i am lovin T.I's tracks

my faves all-time would have to be chronic 2001 and the documentary. get rich or die tryin was also good

oh man, i ruined my chronic 2001 cd from OVER PLAYING IT! it was such a tight cd lol. listened to it all through high school almost non-stop

JordanEG6
08-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
There have been very few good hip-hop albums since the mid 90's. I can probably name off only about a dozen albums that impressed me since then. Hip-hop isn't going in the shitter. It's been in the shitter for well over a decade. Only now is it becoming obvious for some people (unfortunately not all). I don't even know who some of these new "artists" are. They keep pumping them out with the same cookie-cutter template.

:werd: hip/hop hasnt been very good since the mid-late 90s. everything sounds the same and so many new wannabe artists out there its hard to differentiate them and their music. most of whats out there now is pretty much garbage now.

Hash_man
08-21-2006, 12:22 PM
I think its mainly the mainstream crap like TI, and chamillionare that make a bad name for it, personally I hate their music.

But Ice Cube came out with a new CD recently, and I thought it was really good... Also Talib is coming out with a new CD soon, and his stuff is always really good. There have always been lots of rappers around who kinda give it a shitty image, but there will always be great artists.

Clever
08-21-2006, 12:38 PM
I prefer the old school when hip hop was hip hop, I'm older too but my cd (yes I still buy them, in fact i don't have an MP3 Player) consumption has definitely slowed down, I used to buy 5 cd's in a week. Compared to what rap is now to then it's just not the same, take for example Cypress Hill - T.o.B and Bone Thugs- E.1999 Enternal can talk about the streets and smoking weed but it wasn't at all redundant, unlike todays "artists".

We have all heard about the bling lyrics and the club hit type rap but do they all have to sound a like too, all this new "rappers" need to add something new to the sound, their lyrics can't be changed if that's all they want to rap about but sounding just like everybody else just don't cut it anymore. Not just vocally, but the sound entirely. Like, Outkast, who blew up the top 40 with Speakerboxx/Love Below, who says you can't be commercial and still sound different. Eminem made hip hop history because of his originality and unique sound, Bubba Sparxx on the other hand will only be a white boy that had a song called "Ugly" because he doesn't bring anything else different to the table.

So to this day, I will be that older fellow in a grocery getter listening to Lost Boyz, Rakim, Tupac and Jurassic 5, Nas, Immrotal Technique and etc. I guess the market is now more limited to the hiphop fan like me who cares more about lyrical contect and what not, i'll pass on G- Unit's and the Li'l Jons and the like.

Sharpie
08-21-2006, 12:42 PM
I find that each rapper only has a few good songs, even though they have like 10 cds. I find it hard to find songs with a good smooth beat.

But I have to say werd to Dr. Dre, NWA and Lost Boyz ect.

Kavy
08-21-2006, 12:43 PM
I dont think rap is in the shitter i just think that because of its popularity they are flooding the market with new artists even if they suck, anything to make a buck i guess. And Outkast ATLiens was the best cd ever released, this was before they got all creepy singing showtoons.

soupey
08-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man
I think its mainly the mainstream crap like TI, and chamillionare that make a bad name for it, personally I hate their music.

:werd: :werd: :werd:

mann chamillionaire's rollin or ridin or whatever the fuck its called pisses me off, i dont understand why people listen to it, its such a shitty song:banghead:

charizard
08-21-2006, 12:46 PM
for the most part is isnt as strong as it was say around 10 years ago, but there are still artists that are good (or atleast that I enjoy listening to):

Lil wayne
Chamillionaire (yes, ridin' dirty is played out, i mean his other songs)
Crooked I
Yukmouth

oh and also Joe Budden (if he can ever release an album)

Clever
08-21-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Sharpie
I find that each rapper only has a few good songs, even though they have like 10 cds. I find it hard to find songs with a good smooth beat.

Not really, i think it's what you're exposed to, if you expand you horizons you will find a lot ou there.

Clever
08-21-2006, 12:55 PM
double post, my bad.

Edit: The Roots Game Theory dropping soon too.

01RedDX
08-21-2006, 12:56 PM

A_3
08-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Mainstream rap is in rough shape. I blame gangster rap. When Notorious B.I.G. came out with the whole 'i'm going to kill your family, friends, dog, and dead anscestors' it worked because it was fairly fresh and he was a lyrical genious, probably one of the best mainstream rap has ever known.

Since that point, almost every new artist has felt the blue print for being a successful rap artist was to release and angry album about how sweet, rich, and bas ass he/she is.

The focus shifted away from lyrical ingenuity to mindless garbage('Rap Is Senseless' by Grouch paint a nice picture) about killing off others for, as best as I can figure out, scuffing your puma.

I personally, can't stand to listen to a song that is for sure 100 percent laws. I'm sorry, but ODB had petty crimes and he spent alot of time in jail. There is no way you have warrants for you in every city (save Houston) and kill off any one who stares at you the wrong way. You would be in jail, or dead if that were the case. So please realize that being hardcore stopped being sweet in grade 11.

I am however, loving Slick Rick these days. His old stuff is absolutely incredible.

Clever
08-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Aceyalone/RJD2
The Coup
Necro
Aesop Rock

I have some Aesop Rock and RJD2, see this type of hiphop is definitely not for the masses more like acquired taste in my opinion, but hey everybody should check it out who knows it may just be your cup of tea.

soupey
08-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Aceyalone/RJD2
The Coup
Necro
Aesop Rock

Blackalicious:thumbsup:

403Gemini
08-21-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by soupey

Blackalicious:thumbsup:

for sure ! :thumbsup:

dj_honda
08-21-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Clever

I have some Aesop Rock and RJD2, see this type of hiphop is definitely not for the masses more like acquired taste in my opinion, but hey everybody should check it out who knows it may just be your cup of tea.

that type of hip hop is the other extreme.....the tryhards. they try hard to be underground.....so much so that they suck save for a track here and there.

I prefer mid to late 90s and earlier hip hop. everything else sucks really. i miss the okayplayer/rawkus days....

lexIS300
08-21-2006, 01:27 PM
haha i cant believe noone has mention mike jones yet what a horrible rapper.

im still digging the diplomats though.

cam'ron album was alright
loved juelz and jr writers album
lil wayne, nas n busta
also think cassidy is underated sick flow and lyrics

still some good rappers out there

l8braker
08-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Blackalicious - Alphabet Aerobics, that track still blows me away everytime!

I agree about the mainstream rap, but it's not the artists fault for doing it, as there are millions of mindless people that enjoy it and will buy it = wadding their pockets with cash, jewellery, cars, drugs. Hence more of the same music about THEM. People actually enjoy hearing the same shit over and over, ie. simplistic beat, songs about the ghetto, diamonds, etc. It's all garbage in my opinion.

The first hip disc i bought in about a year is the new Jurssic 5 which is without a doubt, some of the best stuff they've ever put out and right now, the best disc around. They play Mac Hall Nov. 5 (iirc) and it is going to be a SICK show because they have something to say. They don't care about the $, fame, or any of the that. Pure hip hop.

Also, anyone who is free Saturday Sept. 9 and wants to catch one of the best hip hop shows this year should check out Atmosphere with Psalm One at Mac Hall. I assure you will never listen to any mainstream shit after seeing them live. I can't wait for them :bigpimp:

dj_honda
08-21-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by lexIS300

lil wayne, nas n busta

hahahahahahahahahah juelz a good rapper?........hahahahhahahha

Sharpie
08-21-2006, 01:32 PM

lil wayne, nas n busta

Nas a good rapper?:rofl:
Same with busta and juelz...
Mike Jones is far better than that. Just download some Swisha House:thumbsup::rolleyes:

dj_honda
08-21-2006, 01:36 PM
nas's illmatic was one of the best rap albums ever.

soupey
08-21-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by l8braker
Blackalicious - Alphabet Aerobics, that track still blows me away everytime!

I agree about the mainstream rap, but it's not the artists fault for doing it, as there are millions of mindless people that enjoy it and will buy it = wadding their pockets with cash, jewellery, cars, drugs. Hence more of the same music about THEM. People actually enjoy hearing the same shit over and over, ie. simplistic beat, songs about the ghetto, diamonds, etc. It's all garbage in my opinion.

The first hip disc i bought in about a year is the new Jurssic 5 which is without a doubt, some of the best stuff they've ever put out and right now, the best disc around. They play Mac Hall Nov. 5 (iirc) and it is going to be a SICK show because they have something to say. They don't care about the $, fame, or any of the that. Pure hip hop.

Also, anyone who is free Saturday Sept. 9 and wants to catch one of the best hip hop shows this year should check out Atmosphere with Psalm One at Mac Hall. I assure you will never listen to any mainstream shit after seeing them live. I can't wait for them :bigpimp:

hmm sep 9th is my bday...i might jus check it out!

that and

blackalicious - make you feel that way, thats my favorite song...wont ever get tired of it

turbotrip
08-21-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by charizard
for the most part is isnt as strong as it was say around 10 years ago, but there are still artists that are good artists:

Crooked I
Joe Budden (if he can ever release an album)

:werd:

lexIS300
08-21-2006, 01:40 PM
wow are you serious? are we talking about the same NAS have even listened to any of his stuff he is a lyrical genius.

juelz flow switches it up not like every other rapper saying the same old simple rhymes line after line

Street_Soldier
08-21-2006, 01:41 PM
I agree though I stopped listening to rap a long time ago. Its all the same crap now. The only rapper that i actually like today would be eminem. He has great flow, and doesn't try to be some huge gangster that hes not.

l8braker
08-21-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by soupey

hmm sep 9th is my bday...i might jus check it out!

that and

blackalicious - make you feel that way, thats my favorite song...wont ever get tired of it

Do it man, best $26.00 you'll ever spend.

PM me closer to the show if your gonna make it!

Dehvee
08-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Anyone ever listened to Binary Star - Honest Expression, prolly one of the sickest songs I've ever heard.

And yeah Nas is the man. Owned Jay Z so hard in Ether

turbotrip
08-21-2006, 01:43 PM

lil wayne

i just got the juelz/wayne-i cant feel my face mixtape and its sounding pretty good so far. Not great for substance in music , but great to pump in the car type music.

Clever
08-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda

that type of hip hop is the other extreme.....the tryhards. they try hard to be underground.....so much so that they suck save for a track here and there.

I prefer mid to late 90s and earlier hip hop. everything else sucks really. i miss the okayplayer/rawkus days....

Try hard? how, care to elaborate?

I definitely miss the days of Common Sense " I used to love H.E.R" and does anybody here even knew of the Black Eyed Peas before the Fergie days? See now there's a classic example of selling out.

soupey
08-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by l8braker

Do it man, best $26.00 you'll ever spend.

PM me closer to the show if your gonna make it!

jus listened to some of psalm one's music...not really liking it...

i like atmosphere tho...if i remember correct they did some music with rjd2?, or was it something else? i cant remember...i kno ive heard atmosphere before tho...hrmmm to go or not to go...

l8braker
08-21-2006, 02:14 PM
psalm is only opening up for atmosphere. i don't really like it either. not sure about the rjd2 collaboration.

another disc that should be checked out is a group called Felt. Slug from Atmosphere and Murs from Living Legends :love: formed a group. Pretty fucking good.

szw
08-21-2006, 02:20 PM

asp integra
08-21-2006, 02:52 PM

i would have to agree with that, others in that category would be chronic 2001, the documentary and any of D L incognitos cd's,, he is always consistent and always has amazing songs and beats, plus he is canadian and underground but he does get some play, if anyone can pick up a sample and a drum machine which was one of his first cd's then you will absolutly love him and his music

Supa Dexta
08-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Wheres Obie! He better have sumtin good commin' he owes us..

5hift
08-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Everyone's tired of mainstream rap, but no one has mentioned OutKast? Both ATLiens and Aquemini are classics.

Supa Dexta
08-21-2006, 03:07 PM
Yes they were mentioned a couple of times on page one. And how their new stuff is pretty pop-ish, show tooney..

bigboom
08-21-2006, 03:13 PM
you guys are all forgetting the beastie boys!!!

finboy
08-21-2006, 03:59 PM
kanye had potential but his last album he got WAY to cocky, putting the lead singer of maroon 5 on an album and using it as a single????wtf?

i actually really liked obie trice's last album as much as get rich or die trying, it was different. obie still joked around and wasn't writing every song about how rich he was, how big his rims were, etc.

nas is great, unfortunatly he can't seem to hold it togeather for one solid classic album anymore.

from what i've heard of ice cube's new cd its pretty good but didn't do well because it didn't have enough club songs.

you all really want to know what brought mainstream rap music to its current state of "hair rap"?

white teenagers and the marketing executives that know how to sell to them.
:thumbsdow

thinmyster
08-21-2006, 04:05 PM
im going to say that all the new rap is crap just so i can fit in like the rest of you. Ill admit both good and bad music is being created today. but this hasnt changed, bad music has been around forever. Its just you only remember the "classics"

finboy
08-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by thinmyster
im going to say that all the new rap is crap just so i can fit in like the rest of you. Ill admit both good and bad music is being created today. but this hasnt changed, bad music has been around forever. Its just you only remember the "classics"

good music and bad music is subjective.

some people consider top 40 over produced music good, other's consider it garbage.

usually it swings back and forth between pop music and more artistic based music.

ie
late 70's to early 80's is artist based
mid 80's to about 90 was pop, hair metal, etc.
early to mid 90's was artist based (alternative, rap, etc.)
late 90's to present was again pop based

aram1000
08-21-2006, 04:16 PM
ya, I would have to agree that mainstream rap has been goin downhill, especially as of late. I think the main reason is because now rap is so mainstream there are a lot of subpar artists releasing albums that probably would not have gotten a record deal 10 years ago. I also blame the endless amount of rap labels that are around now. Before, when rap was not popular among the masses, there were only a few rap/hip hop labels around, and the major labels were not too gung ho on signing a rapper, so if a guy wanted a deal he had to be really good. Now, its not the case. I have to disagree with some of the comments about the rap commin from the south. Some of it is not bad, its a different sound, though it can get annoying. Bottom line, in my opinion, no one now can compare with the legends from the mid nineties and the late eighties, those were the ground breakers, the ones who made it popular. Even though I still listen to a lot of rap and hip hop today, my favourites have to the stuff from the mid to late nineties.

CasperWho
08-21-2006, 04:19 PM
obie's new cd is sweet - 2nd rounds on us

pick it up - its great!

also , eminem is schedueled to release his return to the mixtape in sept-oct hosted by dj whoo kidd

im also excited for the doctors advocate - the game
which is also to be released late this year

jay-z's return to rap will be released aswell sometime this year/next spring...

we all know ... RAP DIED WITH PAC
however, it is improving now that the 50 cent era is passing..

finboy
08-21-2006, 04:21 PM
IMO game is just good production, his rapping is average and he drops names WAY to often, i listened to his first album a few times but aside from some good production and a couple nice guest apperances, it wasn't great.:dunno:

Zoom_Zoom
08-21-2006, 05:04 PM
raps in the ppooper for fags who dont know the names of rappers. Try typing in T.i or the game or yukmouth, or mr..shadow. or flesh bone. or Type in rap. and w.e comes up dl it, if u like it. see who the artist, get his songs. quit listening to that RADIO rap shit. like Chamillionair. that guy is a straight up FAAAAAGGG!!! he looks like a rap version of ja rule. hes a fag.

brownchild
08-21-2006, 05:15 PM
Rap was dead, but its been ressurected thanks to the Big Homie in California, Suge Knight has started Deathrow East with an artist who used to rap with Nas, the names Lake. He has a huge buzz down south, but not here in Canada and u all know why, Canada only likes the radio artists, like gay ass 50 and so on. Anyways Lake featuring Cormega, the cd's called My Brothers Keeper coming out tmw, and for all of you that havent heard anything from him check out their website at www.myspace.com/deathrowrecordseast. Believe the hype this guy does it like they used to back in the 90's. Deathrow is back. Thank God.

HuMz
08-21-2006, 05:24 PM
There's still great rap being produced, already this year some amazing cd's have been produced that are still true to there beat's and will eventually be classic's.

-Rhymefest
-Obie
-Jurassic 5
-Aceyalone & RJD2
-Outkast (there new cd come's out tomorrow and i expect it to be there best cd since Aquemini

All made in the last few month's and all are very impressive, if you ask me the state of hip hop is better then it's ever been.

EK 2.0
08-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

werrrd...D'z and I can go on for hours about old school ie 90's hip-hop and like ANYTHING...they don't really make anything llike they used to...you have to remember what sells in teh clubs and what the kids want...not what we need...

werrrrrrrrd....

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Wheres Obie! He better have sumtin good commin' he owes us..

What the OBIE?!?!...I thought we were spitting about hip-hop...were we not??

The EquAzn
08-21-2006, 06:12 PM
IMO

I think the music as a whole has improved greatly over the years - everyone has crazy rhyme patterns and sicker punchlines than ever before, the beats are more detailed and produced to the max... but the overall style and content of hip hop nowadays is destroying it.

With that being said too, the way hip hop music is now, it's almost as if a sample and drum machine isn't enough nowadays, if you see KRS One's new CD for example, he's still following the same format as he did in 1996... in all honesty, I listened to his CD once and that's it. And I think alot of artists are still doing this (nas, wu-tang, battle axe, heiro, cali agents, alchemist, gangstarr)

The biggest killer is that everything has hip hop in in now, friggin Fergie Ferg and K-Fed put "hip hop" into their crap and it just makes hip hop seem ridiculous.

There are quite a few cats out there that are amazing at what they do, they just get pushed out of the way by the mainstream monster...

as above, DL Incognito is awesome, D-sisive too
Little Brother and Foreign Exchange
The Roots always come correct
Anyone from Rhymesayers
The new Boot Camp is sick

EK 2.0
08-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by The EquAzn
The biggest killer is that everything has hip hop in in now, friggin Fergie Ferg and K-Fed put "hip hop" into their crap and it just makes hip hop seem ridiculous.

But dude...Fergie Ferg love you long time...

CasperWho
08-21-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by The EquAzn

Even DJ Premiere of Gangstarr sold out to mainstream to produce Christina Aguleras upcoming pop/hip-hop album :rolleyes:

403Gemini
08-22-2006, 12:10 AM
finboy, you mean obie's "cheers" ? yea man that album was so damn good :thumbsup:

reno97637
08-22-2006, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by brownchild
Rap was dead, but its been ressurected thanks to the Big Homie in California, Suge Knight has started Deathrow East with an artist who used to rap with Nas, the names Lake. He has a huge buzz down south, but not here in Canada and u all know why, Canada only likes the radio artists, like gay ass 50 and so on. Anyways Lake featuring Cormega, the cd's called My Brothers Keeper coming out tmw, and for all of you that havent heard anything from him check out their website at www.myspace.com/deathrowrecordseast. Believe the hype this guy does it like they used to back in the 90's. Deathrow is back. Thank God.

I don't know about now but the last time I heard Lake, he sucked. Nas tried to hype him up LONG time ago and dude just couldn't make it. Now that he's under the wing of Suge, I guarantee a flop.

Obie's 1st album was awesome by the way. If I were to support a rapper from today, I'd go with Obie. Dude is totally legit from the get-go.

Oz-
08-22-2006, 07:30 AM
There is one song that expresses my feelings on this topic. When this shit dropped it was on another level and for those that don't know it was Common Sense that released it, on one of the best sleeper albums around.

I Used to Love H.E.R.

I met this girl, when I was ten years old
And what I loved most she had so much soul
She was old school, when I was just a shorty
Never knew throughout my life she would be there for me
ont he regular, not a church girl she was secular
Not about the money, no studs was mic checkin her
But I respected her, she hit me in the heart
A few New York niggaz, had did her in the park
But she was there for me, and I was there for her
Pull out a chair for her, turn on the air for her
and just cool out, cool out and listen to her
Sittin on a bone, wishin that I could do her
Eventually if it was meant to be, then it would be
because we related, physically and mentally
And she was fun then, I'd be geeked when she'd come around
Slim was fresh yo, when she was underground
Original, pure untampered and down sister
Boy I tell ya, I miss her

Now periodically I would see
ol girl at the clubs, and at the house parties
She didn't have a body but she started gettin thick quick
DId a couple of videos and became afrocentric
Out goes the weave, in goes the braids beads medallions
She was on that tip about, stoppin the violence
About my people she was teachin me
By not preachin to me but speakin to me
in a method that was leisurely, so easily I approached
She dug my rap, that's how we got close
But then she broke to the West coast, and that was cool
Cause around the same time, I went away to school
And I'm a man of expandin, so why should I stand in her way
She probably get her money in L.A.
And she did stud, she got big pub but what was foul
She said that the pro-black, was goin out of style
She said, afrocentricity, was of the past
So she got into R&B hip-house bass and jazz
Now black music is black music and it's all good
I wasn't salty, she was with the boys in the hood
Cause that was good for her, she was becomin well rounded
I thought it was dope how she was on that freestyle shit
Just havin fun, not worried about anyone
And you could tell, by how her titties hung

I might've failed to mention that this chick was creative
But once the man got you well he altered her native
Told her if she got an image and a gimmick
that she could make money, and she did it like a dummy
Now I see her in commercials, she's universal
She used to only swing it with the inner-city circle
Now she be in the burbs lickin rock and dressin hip
And on some dumb shit, when she comes to the city
Talkin about poppin glocks servin rocks and hittin switches
Now she's a gangsta rollin with gangsta bitches
Always smokin blunts and gettin drunk
Tellin me sad stories, now she only fucks with the funk
Stressin how hardcore and real she is
She was really the realest, before she got into showbiz
I did her, not just to say that I did it
But I'm committed, but so many niggaz hit it
That she's just not the same lettin all these groupies do her
I see niggaz slammin her, and takin her to the sewer
But I'ma take her back hopin that the shit stop
Cause who I'm talkin bout y'all is hip-hop

86max
08-22-2006, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Oz-
There is one song that expresses my feelings on this topic. When this shit dropped it was on another level and for those that don't know it was Common Sense that released it, on one of the best sleeper albums around.

I Used to Love H.E.R.

That's a wicked song :thumbsup:

glennc
08-22-2006, 08:30 AM
The real question is, when is it going to break out of this "I slapped my hoe and choked my sister" fad.

86max
08-22-2006, 08:33 AM
You just have to look harder for the good stuff instead of expecting it to be on the "new releases" shelf at future shop.

/////AMG
08-22-2006, 08:40 AM
IMO rap died after pac and biggie, I haven't listened to any new rap tunes since maybe 2000/2001

thinmyster
08-22-2006, 08:59 AM
Dj Quik. Trauma. 2005. Great cd.

Supa Dexta
08-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
What the OBIE?!?!...I thought we were spitting about hip-hop...were we not??

yeah yeah, I know.. But I had to throw it in as someone different from the mainstream poppy shit who stood out a bit and had a good solid album.

[GaGe]
08-22-2006, 09:25 AM
only people i listen to now are biggie, pac, snoop and dre. new rap has good beats, but shitty lyrics.

Honda EXR
08-22-2006, 09:27 AM
For people who know whats really out there, hip hop is still great music. Songs that are on the radio aren't good cause they are so overplayed and they are meant for marketing.

Mixtapes are the best way to find good music.

Most of they artists rap about their life and what they have been through or people where their from have been through. Alot of times the lyrics in the songs are metaphores. If you knew/know street life, you'd understand.

Its good if you know what they are actually talking about and what they've been through. Do your research and then talk sh*t.

I'm not saying all rap is good, but artists like Juelz and T.I. come from the true streets and actually talk true game.

Actually listen to the lyrics! That may help!

Sprinter
08-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by DepTrotter
raps in the pooper

all im listening to now is r n b

ohh rearrrry, what kind?

some Marvin Gaye, some Luther Vandross, a Little Anita... man that will definetley set the party off right

CasperWho
08-29-2006, 04:38 PM
www.mixtapetorrent.com

CasperWho
08-29-2006, 04:38 PM
www.mixtapetorrent.com

brentos
08-29-2006, 05:55 PM
Im starting to feel The Game now, he has his new single out called One Blood and his new CD's commin out on Nov.7. He also has a couple awsome mixtaps goin at G-Unit.

50 cent is goin in the pooper... he mainly went at Ja for goin pop and now hes staring to go Pop.

Check out his little remix of Fergies London London lmao
http://www.hiphopgame.com/index2.php3?page=tracks1

nadroj23
08-31-2006, 04:34 PM
I agree with the radio hits and club hits thats what everybody wants right, ive been listening to tupac, nas, biggie etc a lot lately as i just cant take some of the new shit. i try to buy cds that i wouldnt normally listen cause you never know what you can find. Blackstar??? mos def and talib listen to some of the songs out there, and i mean any of them i love them all, Common another great artist that actually says shit in his music, The Roots - still tipping another great cd that if you listen to the lyrics says shit in the songs, things that make you think after listening to it. im young and im getting sick of this rims bling neckless bling watch bling car bling. ya its nice to see these guys make it from where some of them came from but ffs heard enough of that shit. young buck if you have ever heard him in a freestyle or mixtape you will like him more if you dont already. lil flip im am beginning to like and you know what he doesnt have a cd out with a major label, ive just pulled song that are mixtapes and some of his older shit. One thing i do like about rap now is some of the Southern rappers, the underground ones. Bun-b, trae, short dawg....all from houston i think and all really good, not one of them has a cd out. and that comment about Cassidy i too think that he is underrated I'm a hustler cd was good, Listen to this song well its the intro of the Cd but it is a song, The Problem VS. the Hustler - Cassidy. then go to youtube.com and search rap city - cassidy and you will find a freestyle on there that is amazing will post the link when i get home as i cant do it at work. oh ya forgot about slick rick......The art of storytelling....awesome cd if you dont have it get it. and then if you havent already listen to Street Talkin feat. Outkast.

but ya its not just the older folks that are getting sick of hearing some of the shit they are comin out with but also us youngers folks that the music is more geared towards. i think everything has its ups and downs and IMHO rap is at its down right now and hopefully will make its way back up there.

civic_stylez
08-31-2006, 05:14 PM
i also agree that rap is in a slump right now... rappers want the money from mainstream radio play so you have to rap about the bitches, hoes and your new escalade. unfortunatly, the story telling style of rap will never get the recognition it deserve because its never going to be played in the clubs and overkilled on vibe.

the one album that is the glimmer of hope for me is the new 4:21 album from method man. its awesome, if you guys have a chance check out "presidential mc" classic wu tang beat. TI is on constantly in my car as well as juelz santana and even classic onyx.

dub_c
08-31-2006, 05:18 PM
mo money mo problems :thumbsup:

IhateDomestic
08-31-2006, 05:30 PM
It's not that rap is going to the pooper, it's the listener.

Rap is fine, maybe some of you guys are getting too old now?

:D :D :D

403Gemini
08-31-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by IhateDomestic
It's not that rap is going to the pooper, it's the listener.

Rap is fine, maybe some of you guys are getting too old now?

:D :D :D

sorry bud, but "snap yo fingas" and shit like that are absolute garbage

HuMz
08-31-2006, 06:27 PM
Another great cd came out on tuesday, Root's - game theory, if that's not real hip hop then nothing is.

Pacman
08-31-2006, 06:45 PM
I stopped listening to rap after 3rd Bass broke up.

RiCE-DaDDy
09-01-2006, 02:16 AM
you guys listed a ton of great stuff out there most people don't know bout, but that's just the tip of the iceberg of great hip hop and I'm just not talkin bout the old stuff, theres a ton a new stuff being produced right now thats awesome.

IhateDomestic
09-01-2006, 02:32 AM
Outkast's new album sucked ass
DMX's new album sucked ass

Busta Rhymes album was OK, some good beats

Chamillionaire's album is good has catchy tunes

Now awaiting Method man's new album !!

brownchild
09-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Lake feat Cormega - My Brothers Keeper (best cd out in the last 5 yrs)

Lake - The Big Ride (coming soon)

Petey Pablo - Same Eyez on Me (double LP) (coming soon)

These three cd's are going to put real hip hop back on the map, only record producer that can really make a difference, and the game really needs is Suge Knight. All of you true hip hop fans can agree that ever since Suge Knights been M.I.A. with all his legal issues surrounding him, hip hop has had an absence of great music, and this is the only man that can truly fill that void.

finboy
09-01-2006, 05:12 PM

These three cd's are going to put real hip hop back on the map, only record producer that can really make a difference, and the game really needs is Suge Knight. All of you true hip hop fans can agree that ever since Suge Knights been M.I.A. with all his legal issues surrounding him, hip hop has had an absence of great music, and this is the only man that can truly fill that void.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

EK 2.0
09-01-2006, 05:39 PM

are...

you...

fucking...

kidding...

me??

Kavy
09-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Ill give you petey but everything else you said is complete west coast shit, suge didnt do fakkin crap on any record but sign the cheques and kill tupac

Suge = Cancer of hiphop.

nonlinear
09-04-2006, 12:40 PM
my 2 cents:

basically, anything on mtv/much music/radio, or anything with the words 'gun,' 'dirty,' 'south' or 'bling' = :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

i have to agree with l8braker and some of the other posters above... there is a whole world of hip hop/rap that most people unfortunately don't know about. check out rhymesayers, anticon, def jux, or basically anything at scribblejam (and BTWE, where the fuck did eminem come from, dj_honda??? is he a try hard too??? I know you prefer "mid to late 90s and earlier hip hop," however you were born in '84, so seems to me you may be just a wee bit too young to remember much of those days)

i'm from minneapolis originally, which has a huge and internationally known underground hip hop scene, so i've been fortunate since high school (late-90s) to have been able to see now legendary acts like atmosphere, eyedea, brother ali, and other cool travelling acts like living legends and ace rock. most commerical rappers can't even touch this shit. must point out, also, that if you like atmosphere you need to check out their early shit (PM me if you need help finding anything, i've got it ALL). their new shit (post-lucy ford) is OK, but nothing compared to the old shit.

and by the way, can't beleive no one has mentioned brother ali. check out his album 'shadows on the sun' or 'champoin ep.' that shit'll knock your socks off.

http://commerce.usinternet.com/juno/prodimg/Shadows_of_The_Sun.jpg

http://www.timmcmahan.com/images/brotherali1.jpg

blueripper6
09-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Its funny, the way this thread is going is 100% how I think haha.

Mainstream rap fucking sucks balls, everything is so comercialized its not even funny. Think of Ice Cube, probably one of the most succesful rappers of all time, but have u heard his new cd? It was catchy for like 2 weeks but now it doesnt even touch my cd player... lol, even ICE CUBEEEE has a grill now, what the fuck.

Hands down, my favorite artist is Easy, not even for all the shit that he put out, but his prodigy, Bone thugs n harmony. I love this shit, I have the discography (roughly 900 songs), its every bone thugs song put out, B.O.N.E., Mo thug, thugline, etc etc.. its crazy.

If you guys want talented artists that dont have 1 track minds, or styles. Lol.. they have a cd all just weed songs LOL.

Download the following songs, and if you posted in this thread you can find something you like

Bone thugs - Notorious Thugs
Bone thugs - crossroad (not the remix, lol)
Bizzy Bone - Fried Day
Bone thugs - all the way
Bone thugs - pump, pump
Bone thugs - weed man
Bone thugs - IF I could teach the world
Bone thugs - exstacy

Download those songs, and you will find something you like, and then you could find 3 albums of the bonethugs style you like, if you listen to there songs in order, you can actually hear how the group matures and shit haha, it sounds funny but they get better over time and BNTH resurection sooooo sick..

im easily the biggest bone thugs fan on this forum hahaa.

[GaGe]
09-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by blueripper6
Bone thugs - Notorious Thugs

still my favorite song haha :thumbsup:

CasperWho
09-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Bone Thugs - Mo Murda

best bone thugs song! :thumbsup:

Sharpie
09-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Obie's CD- Next rounds on us- is a good cd. Definitely worth buying.