PDA

View Full Version : looking for: truck driver positions

Supa Dexta
08-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Looking for any suggestions for truck driving/related work. A buddy of mine is seriously considering comming out to alberta, he just needs that extra push to get him here. He kind of feels stuck right now I think, not seeing any advancements. He has 10yrs experience driving, the usual; flatbeds, vans, b-trains, belly dumps etc. He was also out west fresh out of highschool and had some experience around the rigs, driving truck too then I believe.. If anyone has some leads for me to pass onto him, or good companies to contact let me know.

:)

CRX-R
08-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Every trucking company I deal with has shortages on drivers and they all tell me it's only getting worse with no young guys getting into the business and the older guys retiring.

toyboy88
08-21-2006, 03:08 PM
^^^
word the $$ is going up too along with it (...duh...) look in the paper mate, i see lots in there

Supa Dexta
08-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Yeah I will start looking around. Is there any special places/adds/sites that list truck related work that you know of? I was hoping just to find out some company names who are good to work for, so he doesnt have to shop around when he gets here.

:)

brownchild
08-21-2006, 05:47 PM
Calgary Sun, Herald. Tons of trucking jobs, about 4 pages worth I believe, good luck finding the right company.

Grip172
08-21-2006, 06:42 PM
there are like 10 places in the SE hiring...in the foothills industrial area. i work at the sobey's warehouse therea nd there are tons of "drivers wanted" ads..i think we're hiring too.

hit up glenmore, then 30st se...you'll see tons

scat19
08-21-2006, 08:22 PM
Also, just some tips I've learned over the years from working at a truck stop (i know, I know... but I can say Ive been there and done that ;))

-Get a contract

The amount of guys that get stuck receiving no money from being parked due to the bc/ab border being closed to some reason (rock slide, avalanche etc.) is unreal.

I know of some guys getting paid for food/hotel rooms (not having to sleep in their trucks) because of a storm. That is the way to go.

-Family/Friend time

Becareful of the company running you more than the alloted hours per day/week. Some want you to cheat and it runs you down - make sure you have your own time and tell them to fuck themselves if they call you on your time. The amount of guys that complain about not enough time for other people.

Then there is the smart ones that have a blast doing it, they're making good coin and still have families.

-Trucks

Oh man, the advantage of driving your own bought vehicle is great, you make quite a bit more I believe, but repairs are on you. Heard its better than driving a shitty company truck.

Thats all I can think of right now, hope this helps in ANWAY way :)