PDA

View Full Version : Spell checker

4wheeldrift
04-20-2003, 02:39 PM
Can we get a spell checker, and some sort of english to ebonics dictionary installed on the board? i see a lot of posts that bear only a superficial resemblance to english :rolleyes:

GTS Jeff
04-20-2003, 03:03 PM
shute up u ignorante fool!

gpomp
04-20-2003, 03:03 PM
We need some serious grammar check.

Or maybe just give mod to FD...

Ben
04-20-2003, 03:18 PM
Me Agree wit joo 2 foo. N E way u look at it peeps be talkin bunk ass speek y0.

I vote to out law all ebonics and people who TyPe LiKe ThIs.

As quoted wonderfully in B17A's sig...

"English Mother Fu*k, do you Speak it?!"

FiveFreshFish
04-21-2003, 01:32 AM
The most common glaring errors that I've seen involve the following:
- it's and its
- they're, there and their
- you're and your
- then and than
- lose and loose
- loser and looser
- who's and whose
- affect and effect
- allowed and aloud
- border and boarder
- alot (isn't a word)
- irregardless (isn't a word)
- improper use of apostrophe for pluralization
- lack of punctuation and run-on sentences
- improper capitalization

WTF? This shit is taught in elementary and junior high school. These skills are used on a daily basis, so why not do it properly? Some posts I've seen are written by what appears to be borderline functional illiterates.

Sadly, written English is the most neglected everyday skill. People just don't care if there's a grammatical or spelling error, but how would much would you care if the carpenter building your house can't do fractions? What if the woman doing payroll can't do basic arithmetic when she adds up the hours on your time card?

Fuck, have some pride in what you write. Make it easier for others to read and you'll clearly convey your thoughts. It doesn't take a lot of effort to do so. I know some folks write exactly as they speak, but sometimes it only makes sense to the author.

Okay, enough ranting. This is a chat forum and not real life. Back to regularly scheduled programming. By the way, I'm not an English teacher.

davidI
04-21-2003, 01:51 AM
~holla

chrisgushue
05-03-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
The most common glaring errors that I've seen involve the following:
- it's and its
- they're, there and their
- you're and your
- then and than
- lose and loose
- loser and looser
- who's and whose
- affect and effect
- allowed and aloud
- border and boarder
- alot (isn't a word)
- irregardless (isn't a word)
- improper use of apostrophe for pluralization
- lack of punctuation and run-on sentences
- improper capitalization

WTF? This shit is taught in elementary and junior high school. These skills are used on a daily basis, so why not do it properly? Some posts I've seen are written by what appears to be borderline functional illiterates.

Sadly, written English is the most neglected everyday skill. People just don't care if there's a grammatical or spelling error, but how would much would you care if the carpenter building your house can't do fractions? What if the woman doing payroll can't do basic arithmetic when she adds up the hours on your time card?

Fuck, have some pride in what you write. Make it easier for others to read and you'll clearly convey your thoughts. It doesn't take a lot of effort to do so. I know some folks write exactly as they speak, but sometimes it only makes sense to the author.

Okay, enough ranting. This is a chat forum and not real life. Back to regularly scheduled programming. By the way, I'm not an English teacher.
yes mother:rofl: j/k

4wheeldrift
05-03-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by chrisgushue

yes mother:rofl: j/k Enough with the post whoring already

max_boost
05-10-2003, 01:46 AM
I think people just type fast and are accustomed to their personal style. This is the internet, abbreviations are common. Just let it be!

ZorroAMG
05-10-2003, 02:08 AM
Yeah, it is one thing to be typing fast and not actually giving a shit, but when you are trying to make YOU'RE SELF (;)) look smart and avoid ridicule, spell like your mommy and daddy would for fuck's sake!

EDIT: Not all of you should spell like mommy and daddy, as it is self-evident that some of your parents surely cannot spell either LOL

max_boost
05-10-2003, 02:29 PM
My parents never went to school :(
So please excuse me for my english deficiencies

XylathaneGTR
05-10-2003, 03:32 PM
I don't always spell things well... I had to go back and add the apostrophe to that don't up there...That one as well.
Usually im just typing fast, and its on a forum, most of the things 5fresh pointed out arn't overly important...But when people talk like Ben did, well...that just shouldn't be allowed to happen anywhere.
Spell Check isn't that important...IMO

Ben
05-10-2003, 04:06 PM
I dont care about spelling so much, I mean typos are generally easy to decypher...its ebonics and gangsta slang that sucks ass

Ekliptix
05-10-2003, 04:24 PM
I open Word to check, but it's a pain.