PDA

View Full Version : Workout plan? newb help

glennc
08-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Alright, so I decided that I want to lose weight. Im currently sitting at 210, yes, its fat.

Ive started running on a treadmill with 2 8 pound weights, but what is the best workout/cardio to lose "middle weight" (ie belly) and yet build muscle in the arms?

I dont have a bike, I wish I did... But what can I do at home with a treadmill, excercise ball and weights to lose weight at a reasonable rate?

Are there any good weight loss suppliments out there? What kind of diet should I attend?

Any help is apprecaited. Id like to be 180 by new years. Anything under 200 actually.

core_upt
08-22-2006, 12:56 PM
Running with weights? Like how? In your hands? Are they dumbells? I can't imagine that being great for your wrists?

For "cardio" training - supposedly the best is HIIT training (High intensity interval training) - basically something along the lines of walk 1.5 minute, quick jog 1 minutes, walk 1 minute, run 1 minute, jog 2 minutes, sprint up incline 30 seconds... and so on.

Diet - there are tons of things, low carb, high protien, Glycemic index, non-white diet, etc I'd say go on the 'avoid eating shit' diet - limit fast food, greasy foods (deep fried), chips, chocolate, ice cream, cheese, etc Don't beat yourself up if you eat something bad.

Good luck

Ramdawg
08-22-2006, 01:01 PM
how tall are you?

EG STyLeZ
08-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by glennc
Ive started running on a treadmill with 2 8 pound weights, but what is the best workout/cardio to lose "middle weight" (ie belly) and yet build muscle in the arms?

there's really no way to target specific areas of fat. to get the best results you gotta get the basics down. train hard, eat healthy, getting sufficient rest. you may want to look into fat loss supplements to help:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/fatloss.htm

rage2
08-22-2006, 01:32 PM
Buy a $100 bike. I rode a ghetto bike for a few months... I've lost ~40lbs (215 to 175) in a little over 4 months.

Started riding to work and back to market mall (25km/day) now I'm at around 40km/day.

Still eat like a pig and smoke like a chimney.

l8braker
08-22-2006, 01:52 PM
^ :werd: Biking is the best. You should think about buying a good bike that you can ride in the summer/fall and then purchase an indoor system where you mount up the bike on it, hop on and ride infront of the tv or whatever.

I'd like to hear about the diet a little more, right now i've done the "crash" thing where i've cut out all greasy crap, only light beer, and very small portions and i've lost about 16lbs. Not the most healthy way i'd imagine, but it works and i'm a pretty particular eater as well. Very picky.

~Leah~
08-22-2006, 02:11 PM
Just eat healthy, and that'll help get rid of the middle stuff. The way to lose fat is through a lot of cardio.

Diet (not saying A diet, but just diet, AKA what you eat) is 80-90% of the battle when trying to lose weight. Just watch that, eat some leafy dark greens, drink lots of water, and try to watch the red meat intake.

glennc
08-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Ive been eating healthy for awhile, but that alone has done little (go figure!).

Im 5 foot 10, Maybe ill consider a cheap bike for fall, or just stick to the treadmill in front of the tv or something.

Running with dumbells yes, while lifting them. No wrist problems yet, I am the definition of big boned, compared to other freinds of similar sizes you can feel a huge bonemass difference in joints and other places.

I usually have something like a salad and a chicken breast for dinner, I stick to low carbs just by nature... Was never a bread freak.

IVe also gone from mcdonalds to subway for fast food. I like to eat out, but Mcdonalds and stuff is too much on me.

One thing I have to do is change from ice tea to water, i drink far too much sugar.

I guess what ive leared so far is what I already knew. Cardio+ good eating. Im going to do some training with freeweights on my arms, I want bigger cepts, but nothing disgusting.

Thanks for the input. Any input on specific weight loss supliments?

~Leah~
08-22-2006, 03:44 PM
CLA is good for ridding tummy fat, I can sell you a sealed bottle I don't plan on using if you want.

glennc
08-22-2006, 03:46 PM
CLA? Hmm. How much?

~Leah~
08-22-2006, 03:51 PM
I think I bought it for like $40-50 I can't remember... so $30? Maybe make sure thats a good deal because I don't remember how much a bottle is, 60 pills I think, let me check when I get home

glennc
08-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Alright. I have no idea what to do first, what to do when, and how to do it.

Anyone have suggestions one any of these things to lose weight/bulk up arms a bit?

WWJAI
08-22-2006, 06:09 PM
If your going to be taking CLA, just go to shoppers drug mart and get a weight loss kit. It consists of CLA and Green Tea Extract for around 30 bucks I believe.

glennc
08-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Sis works at shoppers, discount discount.

Watcher
08-22-2006, 11:15 PM
210 is reasonably good. You certainly aren't in any super high risk catagory.

Why don't you set goals other than weight loss? like your first 100 mile bicycle ride? thats the kind of stuff that will ensure that you aren't 210 again in 10 years from now.

glennc
08-23-2006, 07:53 AM
For now I just want to get rid of my spare tire and bulk up a little bit. I don't have a bike right now, I'll probably get one in the spring next year since the warm months are limited this year.

Alot of this whole plan might change depending on how tonight goes. I have a job interveiw that might require a fair bit of lifting.

Im going to slowly work my way up on the treadmill. If I start with 1 hour a day after being a couch potato for a good 10 months now I'm sure it will be too much to handle right away.

My goal for this week is 10 minutes walking to warm up, 10 minutes running, 10 minutes on weights and more if I feel up to it.

Snacking is my demon, so Im going to go out and get some fairly healthy snack food. I got some goldfish, which actually arent that bad.

bulaian
08-23-2006, 10:05 AM
you should also be spreading out your eating more throughout the day also. instead of eating 2-3 bigger meals with snacking in between, you should try and go for smaller meals, about 5-6 a day, which will help to eliminate the need for snacking because you are eating more frequently. This will also help to speed up your metabolism to burn more calories faster

pinoyhero
08-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Another quick tip, get lots of water, try to get up to about 2 litres daily.

And cut out as much sugar as possilbe, no pop, no candy.

glennc
08-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Thats a good idea. I just did 10 minutes slowrun/fastwalk on the hampster wheel, 10 minutes or random misc weights and stuff. I plan to do more later, and I actually got ahold of a really old, but still working bike. Ill go for a night ride or something.

Riding a bike is something as far as excercise that inst a chore. Its fun, you can go places... So maybe Ill start to ride.

glennc
08-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Yeah, sugar is my enemy especially with a job offer from dare (the candy people). I drink alot of water, with ice tea mix but im going to drinkt he rest of it and fill it up with watr.

rage2
08-23-2006, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by glennc
Riding a bike is something as far as excercise that inst a chore. Its fun, you can go places... So maybe Ill start to ride.
haha ya, it's quite fun actually. I usually take my camera shoot random pics while I'm out exploring the city.

glennc
08-23-2006, 10:52 AM
Yeah. Problem is, my specialized was stolen. Now ive got some POS trek thats 20 years old. Oh well, Ill go for rides at night when nobody is watching.

rage2
08-23-2006, 10:55 AM
I was riding a heavy bike from 20 years ago for a long ass time. You get a better workout from a crappy bike. After a month or so, buy a real bike and you'll blow everyone away on the bike paths.

glennc
08-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Im not really in it for the competition. I just want a lack of mantits.

max_boost
08-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
CLA is good for ridding tummy fat, I can sell you a sealed bottle I don't plan on using if you want. Excuse the newb questions which will most likely annoy you......how long do you take a supplement like that for? And does it really lose the fat in the ab region? Do you have to actively work out or can you just take it? :D

~Leah~
08-23-2006, 11:36 AM
With any supplement, you better be working out. These pills are just that... SUPPLEMENTS... meant to supplement a healthy lifestyle and workout routine. They're not magic pills!

I wouldn't take a supp for more than a month at a time without a couple weeks off, your body can just start getting used to it.

glennc
08-23-2006, 12:54 PM
I took a bike ride today, 10 minutes in the bike gave out.

Looking for another bike now, but riding a bike was fun for a change. Im going to stick to doing 10 minutes of jogging, 5-10 of walking and 5-10 on weights, with healthy food and see how far I get.

bulaian
08-23-2006, 01:06 PM
are you planning on just sticking with your weights at home? or potentially joining a gym in the future?

i assume you just have dumb bells with some small plates with an exercise ball? are you planning on expanding to get other equpment like a bench, more plates, different bars, etc?

glennc
08-23-2006, 02:43 PM
I have one longbar with the screws on the end for different weights, a punching bag, treadmill and excercize ball at my disposal. Any reccomended workouts

Edit: 2 dumbells with adjustable wieght too.

jcrules99
08-23-2006, 02:57 PM
i used to play xbox and walk on the treadmill when i first started, helped get my cardio up haha, and i have gotten into the habit of parking far at work or at the mall and stuff, and instead of walking, just run everywhere! it sounds stupid, but if your just out casually, jog lightly to where you want to go lol, even if its only like 20-30 meters

diet is pivotal of course, try to eat carbs earlier on during the day so you have more of a chance of burning them off, the only thing i drink nowadays is water, i drink at least 4 litres a day, but i think the recommended amount is at 2.2L or 8 glasses

i been dieting for 6 months now, went from 231 to 191, and i can see my top 2 abs in the morning now! haha still got approx 5-7lbs to go before i get where i want to be

EDIT: buy a skipping rope! that shits amazing for cardio

glennc
08-23-2006, 03:21 PM
SKipping rope? Jiggle jiggle... Haha. 6 months, and 40 pounds. Not bad, I want to acheive 30 pounds by new years. At least break 200.

kerry
08-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Hey...

Look into the South Beach Diet.

It's good for you, but the first 2 weeks are
intense. That with Workout, you'll drop pounds
like mad.

pinoyhero
08-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Try ripptoe's program, search the net for it, or Max-OT, lthough i think you'd be better off starting with ripptoe

glennc
08-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Pattern changed a bit. Starting tonight I have a full time night job at a warehouse. See how much activity I get doing that!

pinoyhero
08-27-2006, 09:07 PM
^That's the best for working out, most people that work night go to bed right after work and take time before work to do "things' vs. working days you end up waking up just early enough to make it to work. You could train with some real good intensity after a goodday's sleep before working a full shift. Gonna take a bid for you're body to get used to it though, switching sleep schedules wduring the weekends will be tyough on your body though, go for consistency if possible.

glennc
08-27-2006, 09:09 PM
I won't be switching sleeping patters. My body for some reason automatically goes to a sleeping pattern of 6-7 AM til 4-5 PM, I don't know why, it just does.

That was my whole motive behind a night job.