PDA

View Full Version : question for subaru owners

sh0ko
08-22-2006, 01:47 PM
Hey guys! ive always wondered what the hell the difference is in the sti vs the ralli art evo's....not the crap lacners here but the actual evos... like for example the evo 8 or 9 vs the new sti. Im a big evo fan but i really dunno the diff between the two cars. someone care to enlighten me?! like suspension wise, engine, interior, the works! thanx

That.Guy.S30
08-22-2006, 01:59 PM
version 8, 9, etc for subarus would be new body styles. for example the bugeyes were version 7, the peanut is version 8, and the pig nose is version 9.

they change some things on the each version, like springs/struts, avcs, dccd bias.

theostubbs
08-22-2006, 11:53 PM
Everyone has a different take on this.....

without getting into a pissing contest,

EVO = good performance and style
STi = good performance, style, and reliability

obviously just my opinion, but i think that a few magazines will back me up (consumer report).

One thing thats quite different is the power train.... Mitsubishi has and inline4 engine oriented left/right. where as subaru as the horizontally opposed boxter engine oriented front/back. This makes the transmission, transfer case, and front differential completely different in all respects.

other than the above, its all preference and small details.

Fuji
08-23-2006, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by theostubbs
Everyone has a different take on this.....

without getting into a pissing contest,

EVO = good performance and style
STi = good performance, style, and reliability

obviously just my opinion, but i think that a few magazines will back me up (consumer report).

One thing thats quite different is the power train.... Mitsubishi has and inline4 engine oriented left/right. where as subaru as the horizontally opposed boxter engine oriented front/back. This makes the transmission, transfer case, and front differential completely different in all respects.

other than the above, its all preference and small details.

All you will get here are opinions, but I think Mitsubishi has better reliability, ESPECIALLY when the power mods go on. The 4g63 is without a doubt a better powerplant. Additionally if Subaru has good performance, then the Evo's should be classed with exceptional performance.

khtm
08-23-2006, 08:34 AM
Good vs exceptional performance? Are you serious?

Their #s are pretty much the closest you can get between 2 cars, of course with the Evo ahead in most regards. 0-60, braking, slalom, skidpad are all very close. It would definitely be a driver's race in any event so I can't see how anyone would think they're in a different performance class.

xrayvsn
08-23-2006, 08:38 AM
The Evo uses Mitsu's 2.0 L 4G63 motor, and adds a big twin scroll turbo. The USDM STi has the EJ257 boxer 2.5L motor and a smaller VF39 turbo. The Japanese STi stays with the 2.0L motor and gets a twin scroll turbo. A quick look at performance upgrades for both cars will show you that you can get more power for less with the Evo than the STi. A few thousand for the Evo for downpipe/exhaust/engine management nets higher hp than a similar mod list for the STi, probably because the Evo comes with the larger turbo from the factory. The STi has a top mount IC while the Evo gets a sweet front mount IC. As a result of the FMIC, the Evo cant pass the bumper laws in Canada, so we dont get them here :(

They both get front and rear LSD and a mechanical centre diff. The STi uses a close ratio 6-speed, while all but the Evo 9 MR uses a 5-speed. Big Brembos at all 4 corners for both.

The interior of the STi is "nicer", it also has cruise control and climate control standard while the Evo does not have these. The Evo gets the better Recaro seats, and has optional leather which you can get only on the 2007 US only STi Limited (only 800 made, either grey or white).

Also, they aren't called "Ralliart" - they are Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. The Ralliart is a non-turbo model you can get in Canada.

Thats what I can think off the top of my head. I'm sure there are a few more differences than that.

That.Guy.S30
08-23-2006, 05:00 PM
^ ralliart is also there in house tuner like STi.

xrayvsn
08-23-2006, 07:26 PM
I thought Ralliart was like Prodrive?

That.Guy.S30
08-24-2006, 12:23 AM
^ nope. prodrive is its own seperate company as they work on rsx's, aston martins, subaru wrc.

ralliart is purely mitusbishi's in house tuner.