PDA

View Full Version : Pulled over by police

TipoBoy
08-24-2006, 09:00 AM
It was 10pm last night and I was travelling along Glenmore heading West at 80 km/hr about to take the turning North onto Macleod when I spot two cars behind one another on the hard shoulder of the main road and another two cars on the hard shoulder of the start of the slip road directly opposite one another.

There are no warning triangles on the road, no lights on the cars, no hazzard lights, no breakdown vehicles and no flashing police lights. I'm thinking they have either broken down or had a minor bump so I'm about to go through it at 80 km/hr as there is plenty of room.

However as I approach a police officer steps out from behind the first car on the slip road and indicates for me to stop! Okay I'll try buddy! I hit the brakes and come to a complete stop right by him with him shouting "Whoa whoa whoa" I'm thinking it must be a driving under the influence stop but then I realize he might have expected me to slow to 50 km/hr in acordance with the new law. He indicates for me to pull into onto the hard shoulder of the slip road and wait for him. He finishes his conversation on his mobile phone then comes over for a chat! He's holding a note pad making notes and says when you see a police officer you don't continue at your normal speed you slow down as he's putting his life on at risk, he has a family and wife etc, don't do it again and continue on my way. I acted polite and apologetic as I thought he was going to give me a ticket but fortunately not.

I did think about questioning the intellegence of wondering around on a 80km/hr road wearing black - he didn't have any relfective strips or a bight yellow reflective jacket on. If he had given me a ticket I'd have put up a good fight saying that there were no warning lights of any kind etc. I didn't check but I assume the police cars were the ones parked behind the road cars, how dumb, it would have been much safer to park them in front of the cars and put on the strobe lights.

John

l8braker
08-24-2006, 09:10 AM
I saw a motorbike cop almost get smoked right where you were about a month ago. No jacket, lights, anything. Just his dark uniform. Really have to question his intelligence tagging people along there. Very, very dangerous.

Crymson
08-24-2006, 09:10 AM
Well, for one thing, you should slow the hell down regardless of wether it's police or what not, stopped in the lane beside you.

I don't think you can get ticketed for it, if he doesn't have his lights on, but what if it was a guy with a flat, and you creamed him as he stepped around the front end with his donut, or what if you didn't notice it was a rear end, and you hit a pile of glass and debris in your lane?

90% of accidents would be avoided if people paid a bit more attention. Sure, it would be stupid for someone to blindly step infront of a vehicle, but in todays world -- it's ironic i know -- its simply common sense to practically count on other people's stupidity.

Consider your reaction time. There is nothing in the world you could do to stop a collision if something comes around the front of that car unexpectedly.

riceeater
08-24-2006, 09:15 AM
at least you didnt get a ticket... one thing i'd suggest is to not to a breakstand as soon as the cop flags you down, just in case there are people behind you and smoke you... usually when a cruiser stops me i put my emergency signals on, and pull over to a side street or a bit ahead where its safe to pull off the road... its curteous, and a lot of times the cops will apreciate that, and may be a little more lenient

Sprinter
08-24-2006, 09:29 AM
The cop is right about one thing, he's putting his life in risk... by wondering around Glenmore wearing dark clothing without reflective strips, shows how much the douchebag cares about his wife and family :confused:

But its always good to follow the rules of the road, good thing he didn't try to ticket you

TipoBoy
08-24-2006, 09:49 AM
Usually I'm a very defensive driver, part of the training we have here at Schlumberger. I slow down to 50km/hr when I see an emergency vehicle parked on the side of the road with it's lights flashing or a tow truck as in acordance with the new law. I even move over to the middle lane when going past a cyclist.

However I made the judgement in the above situation based on the belief that I thought the scene was just vehicles which is why I continued along. In hind sight I should have slowed down just in case.

I hit the brakes as he wanted me to stop not drive past and pull over. I thought that maybe the road was blocked or there had been an accident further up the slip road that I hadn't spotted. There was nothing behind me at the time.

John

DeeK
08-24-2006, 10:00 AM
Sucks to hear that John, It's happened to me in the EXACT same situation, it's just a bad call on their part. Yes, Partial responsibility to slow down incase, but regardless, you would have easily been able to fight it had you gotten such a ticket in those circumstances.

Anyways, saw you this morning on crowchild, gave a friendly wave, and continued on my way :)

TipoBoy
08-24-2006, 10:06 AM
Aha, I thought it was you this morning, but wasn't sure until I saw the rims as you drove past.

John

SilverBoost
08-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Isn't the new law to slow when you see "lights flashing"?
And isn't it for the adjacent lane? If you pull into the lane farthest from the stopped emergency vehicles - essentially putting a full lane between you and the vehicles parked on the shoulder - then doing the speed limit is sufficient.

The fact that it was at night and there were no lights whatsoever tells me the ignorance of the situation anyhow. Are you suppose to slow down every time you see a car parked on the side of the road?

I mean, yes out of curteousy I always slwo down if I'm in the lane next to hazard lights, but if I can I'll pull into the farthest lane to give as much room as possible.

I fail to see the reason, based on your description as to why you were pulled over? I mean how in the hell can you tell there is a poice pressence at night if there are no indications of such?

Maybe I'm missing something??

Lo)2enz0
08-24-2006, 10:56 AM
i thought the speed was 60 if you saw a cop on the shoulder?

but while we are on the topic of cps, i just recieved a ticket on crowchild. he busted me while i was slowing down from 80 - 50 (got me at 72kmph) which i this is totally stupid. i told him i slowed down and he witnessed me coming up the hill gong 50 and i informed him of this but he told me "you weren't going 50 when you entered the construction zone"

this is stupid but a guy wearing black at night and decides to jump out in front of traffic is just stupid. he may have a good purpose but still stupid, what happens if its a drunk driver with crappy response.

TipoBoy
08-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Yes from what I understand the vehicle has to have it's lights flashing, you don't need to slow down just because it's a police car or emergency vehicle (including breakdown trucks). Also if you move over one lane you can continue at the posted speed.

Government Web Page (http://www.saferoads.com/pdf/trafficsafetyact-115.pdf)

It's 60 km/hr not the 50 km/hr I thought.

I'm not sure what they were doing there, they might have been pulling people over for speeding using the slip road as a queue to process the vehicles they had pulled over.

John

Lo)2enz0
08-24-2006, 10:57 AM
i thought the speed was 60 if you saw a cop on the shoulder?

but while we are on the topic of cps, i just recieved a ticket on crowchild. he busted me while i was slowing down from 80 - 50 (got me at 72kmph) which is this is totally stupid. i told him i slowed down and he witnessed me coming up the hill going 50 and i informed him of this but he told me "you weren't going 50 when you entered the construction zone"

this is stupid but a guy wearing black at night and decides to jump out in front of traffic is just stupid. he may have a good purpose but still stupid, what happens if its a drunk driver with crappy response.

4doorj
08-24-2006, 10:59 AM
i saw that too... the person infront of me got pulled over for it yesterday.... i thought for speeding... but i knew we werent speeding... plus they didnt have a radar gun... so i was soooooooo confused:dunno:

so they were just pulling people over just to educate them?:dunno:

dericer
08-24-2006, 10:59 AM
If you want to get a cop in trouble when he's not wearing his reflective gear. Ask to speak to his supervisor NOW.

It can be a dismisable offense for the cop if he's caught repeatedly not wearing his safety gear. Normally they tuck it under their seats and only wear it if the supervisor's about.

From what I understand it has to do with insurance.

Now'd I'd only recommend doing this if he's being an ass though, or you can take a pic of him not wearing it.

Tha VZA
08-24-2006, 11:04 AM
i just took a defensive driving (gov't regulated one) yesterday...

the law states...in plain english not "fancy statute talk"

you must slow down to 60km/h when passing an emergency vehicle with their lights flashing, when you are in a lane directly beside them

so lets take highway 2...cop/tow truck/fire truck stopped with lights flashing on the shoulder, if in the right lane you must slow down to 60 km/h, if in the left lane, you may keep travelling at 100-110km/h (depends where you are)

if the emergency vehicle is in the right lane, your only choice is the left lane and therefore must slow down to 60km/h, as you cannot leave a "vacant lane" of space between you and the emergency vehicle

of course the 60km/h does not apply in any speed zone which is already lower than 60km/h

cops make mistakes as well, since they have to "interpret" the law like everyone else...if you get a ticket for something, just look it up, take the proof you are right to the court, and they will throw it away

FOR EXAMPLE, did you know in urban areas you make cross a single solid yellow to either turn into a parking lot or other, OR to pass someone safely...yes you read right, passing someone on a single yellow

the condition, iirc, is that the road is a two lane, one lane each way, and it has to be in an urban area

ciao

TipoBoy
08-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Whilst we are on the subject of yellow lines. In the government guide book I have it says you can't overtake (pass) on a double yellow line. However it says nothing about not being allowed to turn left. I assume this is also not allowed since there are usually gaps in the lines indicating where you can safely turn.

John

SILVIA KING,S
08-24-2006, 01:29 PM
That is no good man.