PDA

View Full Version : Calling all web / graphic / multimedia designers.

Kona9
08-24-2006, 08:23 PM
*****SERIOUS RESPONSES ONLY PLEASE*****

As the the title states, I am looking for advice from anyone on here with experience in any or all of the afore mentioned fields.

I am seriously looking into becoming a web designer, as well as a personal multimedia creator. (weddings, birthdays funeral slideshows etc)
I have the creativity and artistic background to get the job done, as well I have researched the various courses needed to become any or all of them.

My questions are:
1) What would be a sufficient computer to do all of this. I dont need to go over the top in equipment and programs, yet I dont want to cheap out. Prefer laptop.

2)what are the better programs being used. I understand that Photoshop 7, dreamweaver, illustrater, macromedia flash etc. are common programs. Are there any I'm missing?

3)Any books to keep an eye out for? I am currently reading books regarding HTML XML Javascript, flash mx 2004, dreamweaver mx 2004, front page, and e-commerce.

I look forward to hearing and learning more about all of the above.
Thank you in advance.

Kona9
08-25-2006, 07:59 AM
allo? anyone..........help.:dunno: :D

ProjectR
08-25-2006, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Kona9
*****SERIOUS RESPONSES ONLY PLEASE*****

As the the title states, I am looking for advice from anyone on here with experience in any or all of the afore mentioned fields.

I am seriously looking into becoming a web designer, as well as a personal multimedia creator. (weddings, birthdays funeral slideshows etc)
I have the creativity and artistic background to get the job done, as well I have researched the various courses needed to become any or all of them.

My questions are:
1) What would be a sufficient computer to do all of this. I dont need to go over the top in equipment and programs, yet I dont want to cheap out. Prefer laptop.

2)what are the better programs being used. I understand that Photoshop 7, dreamweaver, illustrater, macromedia flash etc. are common programs. Are there any I'm missing?

3)Any books to keep an eye out for? I am currently reading books regarding HTML XML Javascript, flash mx 2004, dreamweaver mx 2004, front page, and e-commerce.

I look forward to hearing and learning more about all of the above.
Thank you in advance.

Yo, i'm currently a 4th year student in the Electronic-Publishing program at MRC.

1) we all used the G5 Mac at school, I recommend using a MAC for your designing needs as it has a better processor and graphics for your development purposes. Although i use a desktop at home.

2) the programs i use at home, school, and work all revolve around Adobe and Macromedia. I would get the CS2 package for Adobe (photoshop, illustrator, indesign, acrobat, etc).
and i would also get the Macromedia 8 package (dreamweaver, flash, fireworks, etc).

3) i don't usually use books, unless im in school (thought i forget which ones i used). i would recommend just picking up some graphic design magazines at a specialty magazine store (they have one on 17th ave, probably way more all over the city), as well as googling tutorials for your design needs.

if you need any more help or suggestions, please let me know. although i'm not a seasoned pro in web designing, i focus mainly on print mediums. i'm not saying that i'm an expert, but just let me know if you need any advice.

Eugene

Kona9
08-25-2006, 08:21 AM
Thanks a bunch Eugene!!
Perhaps a PM or two coming your way in the future.
Much appreciated!!

ProjectR
08-25-2006, 08:28 AM
^ no worries, happy designing! :thumbsup:

Chim
08-25-2006, 10:20 AM
It's not really the tools, but having an eye for great design, since the technical aspects (from composition to code) are super easy to learn.

Easiest thing to do is to check out sites where you know a ton of money has been invested (energy companies, reputable studios, and especially design oriented companies such as electronic companies)
That way you can see what the industry best practices are, and different elements that you can incorporate into your own style.

googe
08-25-2006, 10:34 AM
there is 0 advantage to using a mac over an x86 for web design :)

jumperman8
08-25-2006, 10:35 AM
I use Quark alot on my G5 its a very good program to use.

ProjectR
08-25-2006, 11:33 AM
^ i used to use quark too, but teachers tell me that the industry standard is switching over the indesign.

Alterac
08-25-2006, 12:02 PM
I would also suggest familarizing yourself with an FTP program like CuteFTP for the webdesign side of things.

Personally I hate it when my gfx artist guy sends me 15mb photoshop files via email.

Me: FTP them to the site.
Him: FT-What?

So on.