PDA

View Full Version : Bc Cars

2.2vtec
04-21-2003, 11:06 AM
why are they cheaper then alberta cars? Is it because rust issues like the east has?:dunno:

ecstasy_civic
04-21-2003, 11:12 AM
id bet because civics and preludes are more common there tehn here:dunno:
here theres more demand so people can charge more.

littledan
04-21-2003, 11:30 AM
lower mainland cars are definitely in better shape rust-wise. In vancouver for example, they don't have to put salt down in the winter. And the sea-water won't rust the car as some people believe. I would much rather buy a car from van than from calgary. When i lived in calgary i noticed that the city used a ton of salt on the roads. Coming home on the c-train the steps at marlborough station would be white with salt!

cliff notes: bc cars non-rusty; ab cars rusty

rage2
04-21-2003, 11:31 AM
If the owner washes their car often, then there'd be no rust problem, regardless of where it's from :D.

littledan
04-21-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by rage2
If the owner washes their car often, then there'd be no rust problem, regardless of where it's from :D.

very true... just take a look at the car you are buying and stick your head underneath to see if it's all rusted out... take a look at the strut towers in the engine bay.. don't want those to be rusty!

Ben
04-21-2003, 11:38 AM
Supply and demand.

littledan
04-21-2003, 11:41 AM
ya.. .the prices in bc are generally lower than here in alberta. here in alberta the market for used imports is quite inflated. i hope noone takes this the wrong way.. but there is no way a 94 gsr w/130000 kms should be selling for more than $13K. I mean... the car is 10 years old already!

max_boost
04-21-2003, 12:06 PM
BC cars are where its at man!
Greater selection with more bargaining power!
I'll be going back again when I decide on a new ride!

Not to mention I LOVE VANCOUVER!!!!!!

2.2vtec
04-21-2003, 12:13 PM
Yeah I want to pick up a del sol there for less then 10,000 when i'm done exams. I've seen alot go for 8- 10 over there. Who's up for a road trip??

Ajay
04-21-2003, 12:41 PM
If you think about it you're probably gonna be paying the same price for the car.

In Alberta we just have the 7% GST whereas in BC they have the 7% GST and 7% PST. So the price may be stickered cheaper than the same car in Alberta but when you factor in 14% sales tax you'll probably be paying the same amount or possibly more.

sml
04-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
If you think about it you're probably gonna be paying the same price for the car.

In Alberta we just have the 7% GST whereas in BC they have the 7% GST and 7% PST. So the price may be stickered cheaper than the same car in Alberta but when you factor in 14% sales tax you'll probably be paying the same amount or possibly more.

I thought there's no salestax for private sales... but then again, someone told me that's only for Alberta, BC's got some stupid law against this... Stupid corrupted politicians trying to rip off the consumers!!!

Dope Dealer
04-21-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Ajay

If we went to BC to purchase a car, we wouldnt have to pay PST. Only the flat 7% GST rate.

All you need is an Alberta driver's license and a health card, I believe?

Stratus_Power
04-21-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Dope Dealer

If we went to BC to purchase a car, we wouldnt have to pay PST. Only the flat 7% GST rate.

All you need is an Alberta driver's license and a health card, I believe?

are you talkinga bout private or dealer?

2.2vtec
04-21-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power

are you talkinga bout private or dealer?

I think that's for dealer and private!

rage2
04-21-2003, 01:58 PM
Alberta residents :
Dealer - pay GST.
Private - no taxes.

BC residents :
Dealer - pay GST and PST.
Private - no taxes until you register the vehicle (then you pay PST).

Pretty sure that's what it was.

sml
04-21-2003, 02:00 PM
so, it's no tax if you buy private from BC and register in Alberta?

Stratus_Power
04-21-2003, 02:16 PM
im sorry if im a little newbie to this.. so let say you buy a car from vancouver and u want to register it in Alberta.. how do you bring the car back from BC to Alberta if its not registered ( since you cant just drive it back w/o a plate)

rage2
04-21-2003, 02:19 PM
When I bought my Merkur XR4Ti from Vancouver, my friend bought temporary registration and insurance from ICBC (or whatever their insurance thingy is called). He drove it to the lot and shipped it here for me.

Stratus_Power
04-21-2003, 02:53 PM
how much does it~ cost to ship a car from van to Alberta?

CrAzY_PLaYa
04-21-2003, 05:45 PM
im sorry if im a little newbie to this.. so let say you buy a car from vancouver and u want to register it in Alberta.. how do you bring the car back from BC to Alberta if its not registered ( since you cant just drive it back w/o a plate)

take an alberta plate with you and try not to get pulled over..i usually borrow a dealers plate and pick em up

SpoonEK9@STRD
04-21-2003, 06:47 PM
i checked a few cars from bc... very rusty... sask has some crazy old cars with out rust...!!!

max_boost
04-21-2003, 07:46 PM
Shipping is under $400
No taxes if you provide proof of residency in Alberta

You get insurance from your agent, go to the registry with your bill of sale and get a "IN TRANSIT" paper to put on your dash if you intend to drive the car back here. Lasts for 3 days!

If not, ship it back, get a out of province inspection, bring inspection documents to the registry and get your registration.

T5_X
04-21-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Shipping is under $400

Yup, but it Depends, I was quoted 330 bucks door to door from calgary to vancouver, its 100 bucks more in lethbridge. If you drop your car off and pick it up, its much cheaper.

littledan
04-21-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Shipping is under $400
No taxes if you provide proof of residency in Alberta

You get insurance from your agent, go to the registry with your bill of sale and get a "IN TRANSIT" paper to put on your dash if you intend to drive the car back here. Lasts for 3 days!

If not, ship it back, get a out of province inspection, bring inspection documents to the registry and get your registration.

...exactly! BTW how much is the in transit permit? ~$50 or so:dunno:

Stratus_Power
04-21-2003, 11:51 PM
im slightly confuse.. to i go to my insurance agent IN CALGARY, then i go to vancouver, buy car, then bring to bill of sale to the registry IN VANCOUVER to get the Transit, then i have 3 days to drive it back to Calgary to offically register it?

littledan
04-22-2003, 12:02 AM
im slightly confuse.. to i go to my insurance agent IN CALGARY, then i go to vancouver, buy car, then bring to bill of sale to the registry IN VANCOUVER to get the Transit, then i have 3 days to drive it back to Calgary to offically register it?

well... you can't get insurance until you buy the car... so you can fax your bill of sale and the sellers registration slip to your insurance company... then they can fax you a temporary pink card... take that with the bill of sale and the sellers registration slip to ICBC and get an in transit permit...

make sure you get the original registration slip from the seller because i don't think they are accepting photocopies anymore

dan

rage2
04-22-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by littledan
well... you can't get insurance until you buy the car... so you can fax your bill of sale and the sellers registration slip to your insurance company... then they can fax you a temporary pink card... take that with the bill of sale and the sellers registration slip to ICBC and get an in transit permit...
Wrong. Other way around. You can NOT register a car until you have insurance. And yes, u can buy insurance without registration. Just provide the VIN and other details and you're ready to go. I've done it with every new and used car I've bought.

For cars older than 10 years (I think), most insurance companies sell you temporary 30 day insurance until you get a vehicle inspection report.

littledan
04-22-2003, 11:20 PM

Wrong. Other way around. You can NOT register a car until you have insurance. And yes, u can buy insurance without registration. Just provide the VIN and other details and you're ready to go. I've done it with every new and used car I've bought.

For cars older than 10 years (I think), most insurance companies sell you temporary 30 day insurance until you get a vehicle inspection report.

ya man... that's what i said... you have to have insurance and then you take the pink card and the SELLER's old registration that he has signed over to you to ICBC and get an in-transit permit...

...why would you insure the car before you buy it?... what if the deal fell through and you still had to pay for the insurance?

rage2
04-22-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by littledan
...why would you insure the car before you buy it?... what if the deal fell through and you still had to pay for the insurance?
They give you the money back if the deal falls through. You can buy the car first, then buy insurance, but that's just a few more trips to and from whoever you're getting the car from.

littledan
04-22-2003, 11:53 PM

They give you the money back if the deal falls through. You can buy the car first, then buy insurance, but that's just a few more trips to and from whoever you're getting the car from.

is it an industry standard to refund your money if the deal falls through?... that would be handy.. especially if you are buying a car out of town

max_boost
04-23-2003, 01:40 AM

1. Fax the bill of sale to your insurance agent
2. Go pick up your insurance from your agent
3. Bring the bill of sale along with the insurance to the Calgary registry and tell them that you will be going to BC to pick up your car and drive it back. They will give you an IN TRANSIT paper as well as a sheet asking for a request for an out of province inspection from any approved mechanical shop in Alberta.
4. Now you fly down to Vancouver, put the IN TRANSIT paper on the dash and drive the car back. You have 3 days (well for me it was 3 days). The IN TRANSIT paper is only good for point A to point B but who's checking? haha
5. When you are back in Calgary, bring the car to get an out of province inspection done at any mechanical shop. They will issue you a certificate of approval.
6. Now you bring the approval document (usually green) back to the registry to offically get the car registered.

max_boost
04-23-2003, 01:42 AM
Speaking of BC cars.....I'm buying a base model RSX for my winter beater from the dealer where I got my S2K hehe

Just another excuse to go to Vancouver, I love that city!!!!

Stratus_Power
04-23-2003, 02:03 AM
nm nm i just remembered something a salesman told me..
thanx for the detailed step-by-step, so much more clearer now