PDA

View Full Version : Buying this pimped Benzo

gstq
08-26-2006, 03:41 AM
I'm looking at buying this pimped out 1984 Benz 500SEL. It has a relatively new tranny and it has only two real flaws which are the ridiculously high mileage (550K!) and it needs a starter. So I'm looking around and I can get a starter for less than $200. For $1200 for the car, $200 for the starter, it looks good. So it's at $1400 so far.

How much am I looking at to get the engine rebuilt? (give me the cost with and without labour.. the cost of the engine and the cost of labour please)

Thanks.

- Mike

gstq
08-26-2006, 03:41 AM
http://images.trader.ca/autotrader/4/14/2397854.jpg.fpx?large

Palmiros
08-26-2006, 03:54 AM
Nice!
I don't know the cost of the reb. eng. but the body looks PIMP!
GL with it.

AllGoNoShow
08-26-2006, 04:11 AM
That thing is gunna be a hella fun ride.

Starter shouldn't be a problem for you as you've already looked into it.

The engine rebuild, if you send it out its going to be expensive for a couple of reasons...

1. Euro engines aren't the chepaest to rebuild, they use high quality parts which of course comes with a higher price then say getting cheap jap or domestic parts.
2. Depending on the place some places will say oh, young guy, benzo, lets jack the price up, so you have to do some research and know your prices so you can tell them to fuck off or say yah go for it, also so you can possibly bargin with them.

If your doing it urself it will be sweet... you buy whatever parts you want, take your time researching what people have used and how its gone for them. Parts will be cheaper cause you can buy them online and don't have to worry about places jacking up the price on them.

The best part of doing it yourself will be that you will learn a SHITLOAD about engines, you car, when something goes wrong you will have a MUCH MUCH better understanding and be able to fix it yourself easier.

There's only a couple of places in town that do alot of euro stuff so hunt a couple down, one I recommend is Alpine Autoworks.

Good luck to you man! Hope to see you at some of the euro meets. Also check out eurodrivers.ca for some more info and euro guys that will have info for you.

gstq
08-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Well personally, I'm not mechanically savvy at all. I know shit all about what's under the hood but I'm getting into it. My buddy is really good and I plan to get him to do it up for me for small labour costs.

So if I do rebuild the engine would it be a good investment considering there's 550,000KM on the body?

Thanks. :)

nismodrifter
08-26-2006, 12:06 PM
550k on the body? Hell no.

W126's have a tendancy to fall apart yo. One day your windows will stop working...next day the sunroof will get stuck....next day your power seats will refuse to move. It just gets stupid after time.

With a shit engine in it I wouldn't touch it. You are looking at getting into a fixer upper that will keep you hella annoyed for years to come.

Two thumbs down on that one. Find something better.