PDA

View Full Version : photography help....

dave101
08-27-2006, 11:20 AM
I'm in an art 2 photography class this semester and one of our assignments has to do with depth of field. I'm supposed to make 3 exposures of the same subject from the same spot.

Each shot i have different apertures:

1st: F2
2nd: F5.6
3rd: F22

So my question is.......Where the heck are these settings? Is the aperture setting when you turn the lense?

oh ya, the cameras is manual, its an AE-1. Black and white film. with 50 mm lenses.

So far all i know and can figure out for light settings is this:

1. The little meter inside the viewfinder looker thing tells you how much light is entering the lense, and lets you know how how fast your shutter speed should be..........

do you want it to be in the middle?

2. oh wait.....thats pretty much it. I dont really know how the ASA setting works.

So basically, i'm asking how u set the f/stops for something to those specific setings

dave101
08-27-2006, 11:41 AM
sorry guys i hate to be a rusher, but i would like to get these pics taken so i can develop them in class tomarrow

Ekliptix
08-27-2006, 11:49 AM
I don't know how to adjust your particular camera, but here is info about DOF although I'm not sure why your teacher would have not taught you what it meant yet.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/dof.shtml

dave101
08-27-2006, 11:56 AM
my teacher is very........uninformative? i should have asked her ut i guess i forgot.

all i need is to figure out how to adjust the f/stop things? to the mentioned above settings.

its different for different cameras? slr

oh and thanks for the link

D'z Nutz
08-27-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by dave101
So my question is.......Where the heck are these settings? Is the aperture setting when you turn the lense?

If by "when you turn the lense" you mean when you adjust the aperture ring, then yes. It should have all the aperature stops on it (ie: 1.8, 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 22), not to be confused with the depth of field scale. F-stop refers to your aperture.

1. The little meter inside the viewfinder looker thing tells you how much light is entering the lense, and lets you know how how fast your shutter speed should be..........

do you want it to be in the middle?

Depends on what you are trying to meter/expose. Whatever you want to be exposed properly, yes, you'll want it in the middle.

2. oh wait.....thats pretty much it. I dont really know how the ASA setting works.

ASA is now referred to as ISO. It's the speed/sensitivity of your film. You'll want to set the ASA/ISO setting on your camera to match the film, unless you are planning to do push/pull development. It's important to set your ASA/ISO correctly, otherwise your metering will be way off!

dave101
08-27-2006, 12:08 PM
ahh thank you.

I guess i'm just confused now on what i'm supposed to adjust on the camera for the assignment. I guess no one can really help with that unless they have the camera.

but the asa info was very helpful. glad i didnt start taking pictures. i threw away the damn film box so i dont know the asa or iso settings.......shit