PDA

View Full Version : new amp *PICS*

f150mikey060
08-27-2006, 12:02 PM
atomic 2200.1. what real amps are made of....

Enjoy.
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4712/img0961qm4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/2891/img0962lt2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/629/img0963gv7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4334/img0969xv0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

and some internal shots

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9051/img0966nt7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/8730/img0964xa6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4233/img0965hs0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

some specs
1 ohm - 2200
2 ohm - 1200
4 ohm - 650

and it is underrated:)

RickDaTuner
08-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Accoustic Rice?

muhy m3g4w4ttt5 H4XX3D j00r m3guhw4ttt555!!!

f150mikey060
08-27-2006, 01:25 PM
care to explain your comment?:)

*chuckles*

b_t
08-27-2006, 02:02 PM
his megawatt haxxed your megawatt!

Nice amp in any case but I find that if you spend the cash on a nice box and one nice sub, you only need 600-1000 watts at the absolute most

after that its all diminishing returns

SWX
08-27-2006, 02:05 PM
doesn't seem like a lot of fuseing for that much power, i'm guessing those were not RMS ratings?

RickDaTuner
08-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by f150mikey060
care to explain your comment?:)

*chuckles*

not really of any relavence to be honest with you, i just can't as B_T stated, pull myself to put that much money into a board with wires and such, last amp i bought was 250 bucks for 800 watts and it does me good

looks nice though

b_t
08-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by SWX
doesn't seem like a lot of fuseing for that much power, i'm guessing those were not RMS ratings?

thats also what I was thinking

Supa Dexta
08-27-2006, 05:06 PM
P=IV

120A x 12V = 1440w

120A x 14.4V = 1728

glennc
08-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Nice looking amp.

Im too cheap to dish it out, I got a 80 dollar sony 800 watt amp from a pawn shop and it does wonders to power my 10 inch alpine.

f150mikey060
08-27-2006, 06:40 PM
werd, i feel what you guys are saying about paying so much for an amp. this is why it helps to know people.
the amp retails for 1300. however, if i remember, it was bought for cough*six*cough*fifty. keep in mind this amp is rated 2200 watts RMS....not max powwa
and of course, this is not going to be running some type rrrrsss in a prefab box. nothing against alpine, but for the money you can get MUCH better products

:)

glennc
08-27-2006, 08:59 PM
werd, i feel what you guys are saying about paying so much for an amp. this is why it helps to know people.
the amp retails for 1300. however, if i remember, it was bought for cough*six*cough*fifty. keep in mind this amp is rated 2200 watts RMS....not max powwa
and of course, this is not going to be running some type rrrrsss in a prefab box. nothing against alpine, but for the money you can get MUCH better products

:)

Not when you get the sub from the same pawn shop for 130 dollars new in box :P

f150mikey060
08-27-2006, 09:13 PM
yes, true. that is not what i am trying to say. the car audio world is very large and what works for someone...may not for someone else. one person(people like you i imagine) want a stereo which delivers enough bass to give music some impact and sound fairly good. there are other people(me) who want a stereo which can be used for daily driving, get stupid loud and scare little girls on the sidewalk when the bass hits....and sound awesome playing any type of music. and of course i could go on and on. now compare this to most of the guys on this board...one guy may be into the show cars...another into speed parts. others, do both. me however, i am into neither and my money goes into my stereo. chances are pretty damn good i have spent less on mine then alot of guys here have...and it will be a contenter in any sound off. within reason of course(i am running a single 12)

anyways, unless you have a relevent comment...please leave your pawn shop fairytales outa here:)

HiSpec
08-27-2006, 09:23 PM
High class amp is like buying high quality modification products. You get what u paid for. And in this case, sound quality. But then if you know what this amp is capable of sounding and producing, i'm assuming you'll have same-class quality of speakers to match it with.

Awesome looking amp:thumbsup:

f150mikey060
08-27-2006, 09:31 PM
yea, it sure will. 2 Atomic Apocalypse AP 12's of course

oh, this amp was for a good friend...i just know the canadian dealer of atomic

i am running PA A2400Db and a single Apocalypse AP12

glennc
08-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Haha sorry.. I needed to share my pawnshop skillzzz.

But back on topic,

Are you running a cap?

hoamic11
08-28-2006, 11:20 AM
nice amp man, looks hawt. Internal circuitry was done nicely. enjoy the piece and let me know how it is

f150mikey060
08-28-2006, 11:26 AM
it is indeed very sexy

iff it was my amp...we would have results by now:rolleyes: lol anyhow i will keep you updated

as for the cap question...refer to my posts in this thread http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=142162

SWX
08-30-2006, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
P=IV

120A x 12V = 1440w

120A x 14.4V = 1728

AT 100% efficiency which i have yet to see in an amp, thats all i'm saying.

f150mikey060
08-30-2006, 09:26 PM
100% is infact impossible to acheive

however, you cant just multiply two numbers and expext a correct representation of the power output...there are hundreds of variables in determinting this. you are giving a very general idea using that formula, but not the correct one

just to give you an idea of what i mean...the atomic 5000.1 and many similar competition grade amps, the old riprock amps have NO fuses....but wait, that must mean they put out no power. but wait, again, that doesnt explain how they have captured world titles with these amps:nut: (btw team riprock has the loudest vehicle in canada...175+db's....lol but how? they are running unfused amps??? :guns: )

anyways, come out to autotemp on friday for the show...and see how shitty atomic is. bring all your type r's, caps, whatever. it'll be fun :)

/sarcasm

natesiy
09-06-2006, 12:39 PM

however, you cant just multiply two numbers and expext a correct representation of the power output...there are hundreds of variables in determinting this. you are giving a very general idea using that formula, but not the correct one

just to give you an idea of what i mean...the atomic 5000.1 and many similar competition grade amps, the old riprock amps have NO fuses....but wait, that must mean they put out no power. but wait, again, that doesnt explain how they have captured world titles with these amps:nut: (btw team riprock has the loudest vehicle in canada...175+db's....lol but how? they are running unfused amps??? :guns: )

anyways, come out to autotemp on friday for the show...and see how shitty atomic is. bring all your type r's, caps, whatever. it'll be fun :)

/sarcasm

The fuses on the input end are a very good idea of what kind of power the amplifier will make. If the input current does exceed the total amperage of the fuses, the fuses will blow. So theoretically, when you exceed the 1700W mark for a prolonged amount of time, your amplifier will blow the fuses and stop working.

You can remove the fuses and insert jumpers.

Removing the fuses and inserting jumpers doesn't mean no power. it means infinite power.

So you could still punch in the equation: P=IV, P = infinite x 12V.

Your limiting factor will be the next step in the chain. Fets blowing up, or dielectric caps exploding, etc.

SWX
09-06-2006, 07:00 PM

/sarcasm

I don't run Alpine, it's crap. And as for your "can't just multiply 2 numbers together and get the right answer" yeah you can it's called MATH, look it up some time. I know all about amps with no fuseing, but that DOESN'T appliy to your amp cause it HAS fusing, and when it reaches X-watts that's it the fuses go or the amp just stops at the max wattage, which brings us back to that crazy math thing again. Face it your amp doesn't make more than 1700 watts.:(

Off thier site.
Digital mono block amplifier
* Dual MOS-FET power supplies
* Efficiency over 86%
* RMS power handling---600w @ 4 ohms
* RMS power handling---1100w @ 2 ohms
* RMS power handling---2200w @ 1 ohms
* Signal-to-noise ratio 105dB
* Bass remote controller with telephone wire & click volume & blue LED
* 3 way protection: over voltage, speaker short & thermal overload
* Total harmonic distortion:< 0.1%
* Continuously variable 0 – 18dB Bass Boost
* Built - in variable 0 – 18dB per octave x’over
* Applied to maximum fuse: 60-80A
* Size: 18.5” x 10” x 2.20”
So it says power handling, amps dont "handle power" they make it. Also i see NO CEA certification, so really they can put what ever they want for power out put. Oh and did you notice the .1% distortion, i think my deck does that.

SubyNinja
09-06-2006, 09:35 PM

/sarcasm

Ha ha... funny... Autotemp. Don't they carry Pyle as well? And how good is that line? Hmmm... Credibility from mikey re: how wonderful Atomic amps are = 0

And yes, THD > 0.01 is considered "not so good". A gorilla fart has less distortion than that! And you're planning on using these amps for your God approved SQ stereo. May want to reconsider...

natesiy
09-06-2006, 09:54 PM
actually, harmonic distortion of less than 5% is inaudible.

Amplifier testing utilizes the 1% THD as a cut off to prove that "the input wave is no longer equal to the output wave at XXXX of power" That is usually when most testers deem it to be a non-linear waveform and a non-linear amplifier beyond that power level.

Also, many manufacturers that do not comply with CEA ratings can go both ways. Some over exagerate, some underexagerate.

This Digital Designs amp only claimed it made 800W (3kW total) more power than the atomic. But it's almost twice it's size, internally and externally (heatsink).

http://www.modzdistributing.com/images/products/337/7aec6a.jpg

http://www.modzdistributing.com/images/products/337/d32832.jpg

Crymson
09-06-2006, 10:17 PM
That Atomic is a sweet amp, but i'm going agree with the people calling shinanigans on the fuses.

I used to run a 1100 watt Memphis monoblock wiht 90 amp's worth of fuses, 120 seems a little slim for double the claimed power.

SubyNinja
09-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by natesiy

This Digital Designs amp only claimed it made 800W (3kW total) more power than the atomic. But it's almost twice it's size, internally and externally (heatsink).

Now that is a sexy amp! :drool:

SWX
09-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Now thinking of it my sub amp is fused at 160 (4x40) and measured at 1 ohm 14.4 v is still only 1750 (measured RMS)
My amp is CEA certified just for the record.

f150mikey060
09-07-2006, 08:26 AM
cool. :drama:

alright, well i guess you guys just provided me with the be all and end all on determining what an amp is putting out. you are so right...i propose you all apply at Atomic...oh and maybe orion, seeing how Atomic used build orion....Apperently George has no idea how to build an amp:)

f150mikey060
09-07-2006, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by SubyNinja

Ha ha... funny... Autotemp. Don't they carry Pyle as well? And how good is that line? Hmmm... Credibility from mikey re: how wonderful Atomic amps are = 0

And yes, THD &gt; 0.01 is considered &quot;not so good&quot;. A gorilla fart has less distortion than that! And you're planning on using these amps for your God approved SQ stereo. May want to reconsider...

i dunno, maybe they do carry pyle

but seeing how there is an SPL comp there and i dont intend on buying anything, i fail to see how that remotly relates to this. gtfo.

thanks douche:)

f150mikey060
09-07-2006, 08:34 AM
by the way, this is not intended for a SQ application, rather SQL...need a definition? also if you actually read the thread, you would know it is not mine, it is my friends. thanks for contributing:)

soupey
09-07-2006, 11:28 AM
u guys are so finnicky about numbers

as long as it sounds good - eff the specs - u should be happy

f150mikey060
09-07-2006, 11:58 AM
exactly. I appreciate all this feedback positive or not, except for SubyNinja(hes just a dumb fuck:) )

yes there is some confusioon about the fuses and about homw much power/distorition this amp puts out. i am going to have shawn email George(owner of Atomic) and have him explain why this amp is built how it is. Possibly see some bench test numbers, who knows.

i have not got this amp hooked up yet on account of my friend is going to university and thus has other things more important to do as of now. but when i get it running, i will get some numbers posted:)

f150mikey060
09-07-2006, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by natesiy
[B]
[QUOTE]

The Z1 is also what....like 5 (at the price this was bought for) times more expensive then this amp.

Crymson
09-07-2006, 12:11 PM
I think a typical subwoofer type loudspeaker (magnet, spider, cone, basket) has about 10% distortion, inherent in the speaker due to the mass being accellerated rapidly an unevenly. I think those big fancy velodyne subs cut that down to a fraction of that by sensing the position of the diaphram with respect to the signal and making micro adjustments to the power output to the sub, but that's not a "typical" sub.

So there is no point in having a low THD Monoblock D class amp, i don't know if anyone even makes such a thing because of this.

f150mikey060
09-07-2006, 12:13 PM
yes, which is why you use class A/B amps for SQ

Crymson
09-07-2006, 12:19 PM
I'm just sayin's is all, that unless you had equipment sensing it, you'd not be able to tell the diff.

Besides -- your amp may be <0.1% THS, but all shit that bounces around in your car is certainly >10% THD. SQ competitions are name brand competitions, unless they've somehow made it so that the judge is led blindfolded from a building into your car, their first impression of your car and your install is enough to garner you a win or a lose.

natesiy
09-07-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm not trying to rag on Atomic or any other manufacturer for that matter, but i really wish ppl would be realistic about the output power of their amps.

I've known Atomic to be a great brand and very accurate, but this blows my whole previous outlook on the company.

The DDM1a is only rated at 1.1kW, but hmmmm...take a look at the fused input end.

http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/images/productPics/web-M1a-power-end.jpg

Again, not to pick on Atomic, but there are still so many companies putting wacked out numbers on their amps. Kenwood, Clarion, all the little crap audio lines, etc.

03ozwhip
09-07-2006, 12:52 PM
sooooo, if i have 2 30 amp fuses on my amp i multiply it by 12 or 14.4 and thats the RMS wattage of my amp?? i didnt think it was that easy...

GTS Jeff
09-07-2006, 04:37 PM
And yes, THD &gt; 0.01 is considered &quot;not so good&quot;. A gorilla fart has less distortion than that!

Originally posted by natesiy
actually, harmonic distortion of less than 5% is inaudible.

I feel I should clarify that the audible limit for distortion is more around 1% THD. I've downloaded a few test tones that show that 1% is just barely audible on a good system in a quiet environment. Another thing to consider what frequency the distortion occurs at, which influences how annoying it is.

Phat_Tercel_YO!
09-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Ha ha... funny... Autotemp. Don't they carry Pyle as well?

Ha ha... funny, no Autotemp doesn't carry Pyle.
They carry Alpine, Pioneer Premier, Panasonic, Directed and Orion.

That store location also employs the highest ranked SPL competitor Canada has ever seen. Maybe their knowledge base is just a tad higher than you'd give them credit for, but what the hell do I know?

As far as the amp, it's internals look pretty beefy, and I'd say given a fuse mod on it, it would probably do in the area of 1500-1600 watts actual output.

As far as the fusing on there, the amp is pretty much limited to 1000-1100 watts on a running 12 volt system.

And just so we're all aware of the legitimacy of both Atomic and DD products, the loudest vehicle in Canada runs Atomic subs and DD amps. And man do those amps look SWEET! Special thanks to Nate Siy for getting them out so promptly.

f150mikey060
09-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Riprock runs Atomic and DD? i actually didnt know what they run....

Anyhow, one of the loudest cars in alberta, also the Atomic Dealer...irionically also runs 2 DD Z1's.

SubyNinja
09-09-2006, 10:50 AM
yes, which is why you use class A/B amps for SQ

by the way, this is not intended for a SQ application, rather SQL...need a definition?

So which one is it? You were quite rude when I abbv. SQL as just SQ. You shouldn't be so hypocritical. Also, the use of profanity directed at me is uncalled for. Like everyone else, I was just putting my 2 cents in... perhaps exagerated a little. But once again, use of profanity and name calling is rude and unnecessary. And I believe that is a violation General Forum Rules #1 & 2: personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. No racist, sesist, hateful, threatening, obscene, or otherwise rude remarks.

please review the Rules/Regulations and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1)

If what I said really pissed you off, then I was able to get under your skin - although unintentional. And if you're really going to that petty about this whole thing, let's resort to, "well, my dad can beat up your dad!"

All bantering aside, if my post was the "straw that broke the donkey's back", sorry. Just consider that our fellow members also called buffoonery on the amp you were so passionate about.

SubyNinja
09-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Phat_Tercel_YO!

Ha ha... funny, no Autotemp doesn't carry Pyle.
They carry Alpine, Pioneer Premier, Panasonic, Directed and Orion.

Thanks for clarifying that. I think remember they did carry Pyle a few years back. I've just had bad experiences installing Pyle... they don't install and work as well as they say they do!

Annoyingrob
09-12-2006, 05:07 AM
Over the years, I have found a good rule of thumb is 10x the fuse rating = total power output (eg 120a = 1200w). This is completely non scientific, and ignores a LOT of other factors (efficiency, music duty cycle, etc), but seems to work out pretty well most of the time.

Not to be rude or anything, but does anyone else think it's a dumb idea to be discussing what cool new expensive amp you just put into your trunk on a LOCAL forum?

f150mikey060
09-12-2006, 12:32 PM

So which one is it? You were quite rude when I abbv. SQL as just SQ. You shouldn't be so hypocritical. Also, the use of profanity directed at me is uncalled for. Like everyone else, I was just putting my 2 cents in... perhaps exagerated a little. But once again, use of profanity and name calling is rude and unnecessary. And I believe that is a violation General Forum Rules #1 &amp; 2: personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. No racist, sesist, hateful, threatening, obscene, or otherwise rude remarks.

please review the Rules/Regulations and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&amp;item=1)

If what I said really pissed you off, then I was able to get under your skin - although unintentional. And if you're really going to that petty about this whole thing, let's resort to, &quot;well, my dad can beat up your dad!&quot;

All bantering aside, if my post was the &quot;straw that broke the donkey's back&quot;, sorry. Just consider that our fellow members also called buffoonery on the amp you were so passionate about.

lol....k sorry i offended you with my harsh language. didnt mean to hurt your feelings

anyhow, the amp is SQ oriented. not Built strictly for SQ. apperently you guys have discovered a design flaw that atomic did not. I guess numbers are the only deciding factor these days.
its clear to me i cannot win, so i am done debating anything about this amp. no my feelings were not hurt, this is not my amp, and i will continue buying atomic products. Maybe one day you will learn that sometimes you have to put numbers aside and jsut use the product. shit, i suggest you all buy this amp, then tell George exactly what he did wrong. Apperently 40+ years of experience has got him no where.

thanks for the discussion:)

f150mikey060
09-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob
Over the years, I have found a good rule of thumb is 10x the fuse rating = total power output (eg 120a = 1200w). This is completely non scientific, and ignores a LOT of other factors (efficiency, music duty cycle, etc), but seems to work out pretty well most of the time.

Not to be rude or anything, but does anyone else think it's a dumb idea to be discussing what cool new expensive amp you just put into your trunk on a LOCAL forum?

you are right, there are hundreds of factors you must take into account.

no, i dont think it is stupid. why you ask? well it is not my amp, like i previously stated. if one of you know who's amp it is.....go steal it:)

but i guess this is muccchhhhh different then posting about new turbos...whatever the hell else most of you guys put in your cars. Not to mention posting pictures of your cars....which i have seen 4 or 5 of in the city....to conclude:whocares:

GTS Jeff
09-12-2006, 05:02 PM
I abbv. SQL as just SQ. Those ar e two different terms.

SQ refers to sound quality, SPL refers to loudness (sound pressure level.)

"SQL" is a hybrid of the two, and doesn't really stand for anything, though it refers to systems that can sound good and still pound.

Graham_A_M
09-12-2006, 06:03 PM
That Atomic and DD are two amazing amps, its nice to see people on this forum that know a thing about audio, nothign "erks" me more, then to see MA audio and Lighting audio to be considered "GOOD"

DD is (in my opinion) one of the best manufacturers in the world in terms of audio. For the 'bang for the buck' their hard to be beat.

Annoyingrob
09-13-2006, 05:38 AM

you are right, there are hundreds of factors you must take into account.

no, i dont think it is stupid. why you ask? well it is not my amp, like i previously stated. if one of you know who's amp it is.....go steal it:)

but i guess this is muccchhhhh different then posting about new turbos...whatever the hell else most of you guys put in your cars. Not to mention posting pictures of your cars....which i have seen 4 or 5 of in the city....to conclude:whocares:

Alright, well, with all of that being said, it is still a nice amp.

b_t
09-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
That Atomic and DD are two amazing amps, its nice to see people on this forum that know a thing about audio, nothign &quot;erks&quot; me more, then to see MA audio and Lighting audio to be considered &quot;GOOD&quot;

DD is (in my opinion) one of the best manufacturers in the world in terms of audio. For the 'bang for the buck' their hard to be beat.

'bang for the buck' in the car audio world is actually synonymous with elemental designs, whom I plug at every opportunity because they kick total ass.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/

:D but if I wanted to go louder then eDs could get me, Digital Designs would be my next choice

f150mikey060
09-14-2006, 08:15 AM
i would say atomic is better bang for your buck...atleast at the prices i pay:)