PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable Polisher Intro

shox
08-27-2006, 11:21 PM
I was thinking of buying one but I'm somewhat afraid to use it as I have never used one before. Only observed professional detailers use it, otherwise I've never touched a machine by myself.

Question is, where could I possibly learn how to use one? Or, if there is like a DVD instruction or any type of instruction out there that is useful and has been proven helpful? Thanks guys!

Also, what's the difference between rotary and oscillating?

kaput
08-27-2006, 11:31 PM

riced
08-29-2006, 07:41 PM
honestly, the PC is practically idiot proof. you could not burn your paint if you tried (but dont try lol)
i got it and yeah it takes 1 or 2 runs to get used to but once you got it, you will never wanna do any work manually again.

start at the low 1-2 rpms and get the hang of moving it around about half an inch ever second and just work on a panel. once you start to get the hang of it move it up to 3 rpms then 4... 4 is the highest i've ever went, i've never needed to go that high as i'ev maintained my cars paint pretty good so i dont need to do any hardcore swirl removing.

but honestly, the ~$200 you spend on it will be the best investment down the road, you wont regret it.

TimG
08-31-2006, 11:13 AM
http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14213

shox
08-31-2006, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all the input guys! Much appreciated!

Crymson
09-03-2006, 09:33 PM
You can't fuck it up.

I read up on it at autopia for about a week, bought it, and attacked my car with gusto. Just keep dialing it up until you start to see amazing results.

I did some polishing, which helped with some scratches -- but when i did my first carnuba wax with it - BOO YAH! shine time. If you have a dark car, it will love you for it. Best 200$ i've spend on my car.