PDA

View Full Version : California Automotive State tax.

JAYMEZ
08-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Hey guys , im going up to california to pick up a used vehicle at a dealership , and I was talking to the guy about picking up the car and what not , then he said there was a 11 percent tax .. Then i said i wasnt from california , but he said it still applies to me. Anyone know the truth?

max_boost
08-28-2006, 03:49 PM
State sales tax is 7.25% :dunno:
Depending on the county, it might be an additional .25-1% more.
http://www.bankrate.com/yho/itax/edit/state/profiles/state_tax_Cal.asp

JAYMEZ
08-28-2006, 03:52 PM
He was talking about a California Automotive tax and then some registration tax and it equalled to 11 percent. But he said If I had a company ship it out , I wouldnt have to pay it some how lol. Anyone know how this works? Should i be exempt from this tax since I am clearly not from california , and its a used vehicle , so tax has been payed to the gov't....

Fcuk
08-28-2006, 04:01 PM
11% tax sounds too fishy. BTW let me know if you and SI check whats going on with my car :) ty.

CalgarySupra
08-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
He was talking about a California Automotive tax and then some registration tax and it equalled to 11 percent. But he said If I had a company ship it out , I wouldnt have to pay it some how lol. Anyone know how this works? Should i be exempt from this tax since I am clearly not from california , and its a used vehicle , so tax has been payed to the gov't....

i was in los angeles in jan at hollywood toyota i bought a supra from them they insisted i have to pay but then i told them no they said i have to apply for a credit through the goverment and using a special form

if they are telling you they have to ship it out using a company just give them your personal company name. because you are already paying taxes on it when you bring it to canada you cant be double taxed.

benyl
08-28-2006, 04:37 PM
You can be double taxed... hahahaha governments can do what ever they want.

Unless you take possession of the vehicle outside of California (i.e. though a shipper) you have to pay. California doesn't have a refund policy either.

JAYMEZ
08-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by CalgarySupra

i was in los angeles in jan at hollywood toyota i bought a supra from them they insisted i have to pay but then i told them no they said i have to apply for a credit through the goverment and using a special form

if they are telling you they have to ship it out using a company just give them your personal company name. because you are already paying taxes on it when you bring it to canada you cant be double taxed.

What do you mean by giving them your personal company name? What would that do? I still just want to drive the car out , with out it being picked up by a truck.

CalgarySupra
08-29-2006, 11:26 AM
non resistent /travels tax credit. just call a different dealership and ask them . they might know a better/easier way of doing it then tell the orginal dealership about it.

Zephyr
08-29-2006, 01:08 PM
Tax depends on where your residence is. For example when I bought my IS350 I was charged 8.25% since I live in Los Angeles County. Orange county residents are charged 7.25% tax.

Should be just a basic license fee + tax thats it, 11% is very fishy