PDA

View Full Version : Consulting... what's in it for my future?

Afrodeziak
08-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Hi,

I am seeking the opinion of those professionals whom hold the authority of hiring, etc.

I come from an Entrepreneurial Business and Computer IT degree, recently graduated and have completed two seperate IT based internships (one with a small marketing firm and another with a large oil company downtown). Both of these jobs paid quite poorly, however opened up my eyes to the IT/Business world and I know the experience has done me well. To say the least I feel a bit discouraged by the industry as I was poorly compensated. I don't mean to be greedy, as I know interns generally don't make an amazing wage, so I am willing to live with the past.

In efforts to never have to be burdened by "the man" I decided to start my own consulting in this field. So far I have been able to hold clients for web design and hardware. I would like to continue to work in this setting, however at times I feel like a steady job would be more suitable. I realize the ups and downs to working for yourself and they tackle my conciense every day.

This is where I am looking for advice. Upon application for a position, how much does an employer notice the fact that I've been consulting on my own terms and trying to make my own business?

As well, to what extent does this fit me for other industries? ie. industry outside of the IT sector. Seeing that I have both studied and worked first hand in business methodology. Is this enough to show an employer that I am capable of say, working in marketing and advertising? I guess my point is, how much does the paper you brought out of school play a role in the hiring?

Cheers,

Brennan

E36M3
08-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Your degree gets you your first job, so in your case it might be important as internship isn't really the same thing.

If you want to do independent consulting and be successful, I would suggest working for someone else for several years until you become more senior. That way you can focus on building proficiency, contacts and work ethic without having to worry about running your own business (which can take up a lot of the time).

Money follows great work, and should not be a concern this early in the game.

D. Dub
08-29-2006, 10:08 AM
The main thing that any consultant can offer is business experience and their wisdom.

Without that you're just a guy with a fancy business card.

Orbie
08-29-2006, 05:24 PM
If you're going to want to continue your IT consulting on the side, you better not be applying for IT consulting at larger firms. Biggest thing on your mind should be conflict of interest which is a big deal at a lot of the large companies around. The minute they find out you want to do both at the same time, you may have problems.

black_2.5RS
08-29-2006, 07:56 PM
I do IT recruiting for my company and while we do recognize that you started and maintained your own consulting gig. The problem with working on your own (esp. in IT) is that you don't have the brand name recognition. To me, if I had two candidates that had the exact same resumes - 1 who started their own company and 1 that worked at Deloitte Consulting or IBM or <insert big consulting firm name here> I would choose the candidate that worked at a big company because the name means that they have worked with large clients and are probably good client facing individuals, have received good formal training and have some good practices that I can adopt and integrate into my company. Now, this isn't a magic formula nor is it meant to discourage anyone from starting their own business - it is merely an opinion of 1 person who does recruiting on the side.

I do agree with the person above who said, work for a company until your a bit senior then venture out on your own. If you look at some consulting company management profiles - you'll see that the management usually state who they work for (if it's big and reputable) - why? Because the name gives credibility to the buyer. I know what your going through because I started my own consulting practice and did quite well as it paid off my entire university career plus gave me some income and intend to start my own gig once I build up a reputation.