PDA

View Full Version : Where is the honesty in todays worksite?

glennc
08-29-2006, 12:54 AM
So, In the last 6 months I've been doing alot of schoolwork, and had 3 jobs which all lasted for under 3 days. Why? Honesty in the workplace is something hard to find these days.

Examples:

Powdercoating shop:
I was told that I would be hanging and sanding parts, for 14/hr and working at my own pace.

Reality, I was in fact doing this, but there were 10 vats of acid used to dip the metal, and no safty vents at all. After 2 hours I was sick, black-snot and coughing.

Yesterdays job "forklifting":

So, I was hired on as a forklifter for a larger shipping company. I was promised forklift wage at 15/hr, 1 hour break for lunch and I would be working nights.

I go there at 10PM last night. I start, everyone seems nice, I meet the boss, and Immediatly I am stuck hauling boxes to make pallates- by hand. Not that bad of a job, but not what I applied for at all. And making 3 dollars less, in fact.

So I call the lady who hired me this morning. Told her what happened, she said that "leo" (the night manager that I talked to) didn't know I was forklifitng, when I asked someone ABOVE "leo" if there are any positions available for forklifting, and the immedaite answer was no.

She blatenly lied to my face on the phone, in person, and the again on the phone. Even after I told her I talked to the 2 highest people on nights, she insisted that there were numerous positions for forklifting. Funny, there were only 2 forklifts and there were over 20 pallate jacks.

What im trying to get to here... is... Where is the honesty any more? I remember when I applied for partsource, I got exactly what I applied for. It seems calgary is so desperate for work they have to lure you in with promise of a good job and then swiftly stick you on manual labour.

end rant.

Post your work related problems!

Team_Mclaren
08-29-2006, 12:57 AM
then why dont you stay at partsource?

glennc
08-29-2006, 12:59 AM
It didn't work out after the year I was there.

Guess I shoulda put that in my first post.

the_new_santa1
08-29-2006, 01:16 AM
With me it is all the bullshit, jobs aint bad until someone calls in sick or doesnt show up...then you are expected to do all of the work for yourself, then do all of the other guys shit......I work i a restaraunt, and it is bs, especially when the dishwashers pull a bitch and dont show up....:guns: :guns: :banghead: :banghead: :whipped: :whipped: :guns:

glennc
08-29-2006, 02:26 AM
Its true. Everywhere is understaffed.

Partsource was great, til I was stuck on weekends with 1 other person.

9 Hours work, busiest days of the week and no break.

T5Bird
08-29-2006, 07:24 AM
Sounds like retirement might be the only way you'll be satisfied, good luck with that.

thinmyster
08-29-2006, 07:42 AM
get a better education

khtm
08-29-2006, 08:24 AM
Yeah don't they pay like $14 an hour at Dairy Queen nowadays?

Do you not even have a high school diploma or something?

glennc
08-29-2006, 08:34 AM
Im 17. Still in (online) school.

blitz
08-29-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by glennc
Im 17. Still in (online) school.

Online?

I don't mean to be an ass, but it sounds like you're looking for a cushy job that pays $15/hour, and you probably have to put in some manual labour to earn that much. You made it sound like you quit the warehouse job? I can understand quiting the powdercoating $15/hour isn't worth risking your health like that.

kaput
08-29-2006, 09:06 AM

DoubleLP
08-29-2006, 09:17 AM
Agreed. You are only 17 and have barely touched the workplace. Sometimes you have to put with bullshit and the shit ass jobs to get the better paying more "cushy" jobs.

Suck it up princess and pay your dues like the rest of the world does.

glennc
08-29-2006, 09:26 AM
I'm not looking for amazing pay at all really.

I just think its ridiculous that I was told 3 times I was doing something completly different then what I ended up doing.

I've touched the workplace quite a bit.

And yes, I did quit, it wasn't what I wanted. Id rather get paid 9 an hour to forklift then 13 an hour to move 1000lbs of boxes an hour.

When did this turn into a jobsearch for me? This whole thread is about understaffing/employers lying/unsafe work environments. AKA dishonest workplaces.

The bottom line is, I was told Id be working on machinery, and I got stuck on manual labour. I talked to the manager today and he said that this is the third complaint he has recieved about that. The hiring lady has to LIE to get workers.

Back on track, boys.

l8braker
08-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Back on track, boys.

Pretty cocky for a 17 year old, especially your involvement in the Ask Leo threads as of late.

Maybe, just maybe, they see a "17 year old" and want you to do the bitch jobs to prove yourself before you touch a forklift, etc.

Work your way up, and don't complain about any job, as there are others who wish they had as much as you do!

glennc
08-29-2006, 09:31 AM
Please, don't turn my thread in to a bash. It was a figure of speech.

BTW, Im certified on a forklift and I have experince driving bobcats and heavy machinery.

Again, this was SUPPOSED to be a thread for people to post their workplace experiences and problems. But low and behold, it's been turned negative.

Originally posted by kaput
Buddy if your 17 either you haven't even graduated high school or else you just finished. You don't have the skills or experience to expect any more than your getting from an employer. You should be glad they're paying that much for you to do anything at all. You're right to leave the acid job but how do you know they aren't feeling you out at the other job or jobs before giving you some responsibility? You gave it one shift and decided you were too good for it and came on here to bitch and moan about why uneducated kids get pushed around in the workplace. You failed the test. Read the thread about young people having a sense of entitlement and then consider if you've accomplished enough to really expect more.

It was just the fact I was told I would be forklifting, and trust me, I have experience with it. IAPA certified, heavy duty machinery experience.

DoubleLP
08-29-2006, 09:40 AM
We are giving our advice. We are telling you that we have all started out at the bottom of the ladder at some point. When I was 17.......I worked at McD's making $5/hr. So to sit on here and complain that $12 or $13 and hour is too low.........yeah.........good try.

glennc
08-29-2006, 09:42 AM
I started at Mcdicks at 14, so try again on that one. :)

Its not that I decided I was TOO GOOD. I was told I would be doing forklifting. After talking to the manager of nights he said there are no spots available, 2 forklifts, both in use with full time people.

There is no responsability to be had in a job like that, there was literally, no way for me to progress. The hiring lady lied to me, and once I found out the truth that there are, and wont be spots available for me I just said F it.

I understand your offering advice, advice wasn't really what I was looking for. I was looking to start a thread of other peoples work related stuff.

FlamingC19
08-29-2006, 09:50 AM
One of my bad experiences was when I was about 16 I applied at Superstore they told me they would hire me as a rollerblader so I thought ya for sure sounds pretty good. So I got their the next day pretty pumped about it and I was given a fucking Janitor suite. To keep a long story short I had to pick up fucking garbage from everywhere out of garbages, clean wasrooms, and was told to pick up the used tampon on the ground with gloves, after that I quite within a day. FUCK THEM

:guns: :whipped:

But honestly we all have had shitty ass jobs working for gas stations or fast food or some shit, you gotta start off somewhere and work your way up!!!

spike98
08-29-2006, 09:57 AM
It must be nice to quit a job on a whim. Must have someone else there to hand you money for bills.

IF i am lucky to get hired onto a job it doesn't matter what the work is, a job is a job.

topmade
08-29-2006, 10:04 AM
I've worked a ton of different jobs and it's very normal so that they can lure you in and be the gopher for the first while. Not to say that you won't eventually do what they promised, but just think of it the other way around. If you were working at a place for a few years and a newbie comes in, I don't think you'll sit there and manually move pallets and let the newbie drive the forklift, at least not for the first few days. It's very normal and just take it as learnning experience. Even in the corporate world it's all the same, they just dress different and have more stuck up attitudes.

Weapon_R
08-29-2006, 10:28 AM
You sound like a bitch to be honest. You worked in a factory for a couple hours and quit because they didn't throw you on the forklift the first hour you were there? I'm willing to bet that any decent company would never let an employee on heavy machinery without some training or direct supervision for a few days until they were confident that you didn't pad your resume.

Also, $15/hr for a 17 year old? You should consider yourself lucky, and if you think that's not enough you're in for a surprise because theres only a handful of people lucky enough to make more than that with the education level you have. Hell, there are people with post secondary education that start at that rate.

Leaving your employer like that on a whim only demonstrates that you have little credibility as an employee, and has little to do with dishonesty in the workplace.

Lex350
08-29-2006, 11:08 AM
glennc does have a valid point about employers misrepresenting a job. I've had jobs where they described my position and my responsibilities only to end up doing a job that was quite different.

and on the other end, I don’t know how many times I've caught people lying on a resume. People must think that nobody it going to check their references or qualifications.

forced14
08-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by khtm
Yeah don't they pay like $14 an hour at Dairy Queen nowadays?

HAHA I wish, I worked there for 3 and a half years through high school and my first year of college, and only made $8.50 an hour. That was just over a year ago. If it jumped up that much that fast, wowzas. Or I could have been screwed over... story of my life :zzz:.

Oh well I am on to way better things now :)

--forced

403Gemini
08-29-2006, 11:26 AM
lol i worked in a computer store back in grade 8-11 for $6/hr on saturdays
then moved to a movie theatre for $5.95 but got more hours. until grade 12
then worked at joey tomatoes which paid $6 and then tip payout every 2 weeks
then worked at A&B sound as customer service for $6.50 and raised to $7 for a year after high school
then went to staples and got paid 7.65 and left after a year making 8.13
then went to future shop worked on comission. some months averaged around 15-20 an hour. other months averaged 10-12 an hour.
then canada trust for 12.85/hr and left after a yr when making 13.02.

Now i work at ING and make... well... ;) enough.

But im 23 now. Everybody has to climb the ladder. Yea u're trained on the forklift. grats! As weapon_r said though, they most likely would have had you doing the fork lift (supervised) in about 1-2 months, and after PROVING you can do it they would have probably bumped you up to fulltime forklift.

$15/hr at 17? man i wish i could have had that...

googe
08-29-2006, 11:49 AM
ok as much as i dont like glennc, he wasnt bitching about his wage so stop bringing that up :nut:

bigboom
08-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You sound like a bitch to be honest. You worked in a factory for a couple hours and quit because they didn't throw you on the forklift the first hour you were there? I'm willing to bet that any decent company would never let an employee on heavy machinery without some training or direct supervision for a few days until they were confident that you didn't pad your resume.

Also, $15/hr for a 17 year old? You should consider yourself lucky, and if you think that's not enough you're in for a surprise because theres only a handful of people lucky enough to make more than that with the education level you have. Hell, there are people with post secondary education that start at that rate.

Leaving your employer like that on a whim only demonstrates that you have little credibility as an employee, and has little to do with dishonesty in the workplace.

i completely agree with weaponr. if you didnt like it talk to someone you dont quit right away. sure the powdercoating place may have been a job hazard but what about masks? couldnt you have asked them for a mask? and the forklift job...sometimes you will have to do stuff not stated on the job description. get used to it, thats life and every job out there.

im getting sick of these kids quit every job because its not exactly as stated. suck it up and build some character. the real world isnt gonna be full of your parents coddling you every step of the way.

Lex350
08-29-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by googe
ok as much as i dont like glennc, he wasnt bitching about his wage so stop bringing that up :nut:

exactly.....His issue is with honesty of employers and not with the wages....nbut as usual the A.D.D. types here just run with their own thing.:rolleyes:

glennc
08-29-2006, 12:46 PM
Okay, it was 13/hr, and money isn't what I want a job for.

Im 17, I still live at home, I don't have "bills" cept for my car.

I didn't quit because I can't do manual labour. Im not small, I can lift. I quit because I don't want to be working for someone who lies to my face every turn of the road. Honesty is important to me, and working for someone who is dis-honest would eat me from the inside out.

Yeah, everyone has had a shitty job. Mine was mcdonalds and hire-a-student. I started small like everyone else, 5.90 an hour and I was basically the McBitch. I slowly worked my way up over the past 4 years, experience is everything.

I just think its not right that employers lie to lure you in, and once your in just stick you at the bitch jobs. I wouldn't have a problem with it as much if there was a chance after a month, 2 months or longer that I might become a forklifter. But the truth is, there are permenant forklifters and a huge line in front of me to become them. It wouldn't have been a problem if I had a chance to BECOME a forklifter. I'm not about to waste my time doing manual labour if its not gonna get me anywhere. I'd rather take my work elsewhere and get somewhere from it.

ok as much as i dont like glennc, he wasnt bitching about his wage so stop bringing that up

It's good to see that theres a unanamous dislike for me in these forums. :P

Good point, but from my experience entirely not true. At bobcat within 1 hour I was in small front loaders, and by the third day driving full size excavators. If you present yourself as an intelligent person, chances are they'll get you working on machinery faster then you might think.

Overall, I just wish they hadn't have misrepresented the job, so I could say no thanks and find somewhere with even a remote future to support myself upon my 18th birthday.

whodiman
08-29-2006, 01:15 PM
This is sounding more like a "Who has had the worst job before teh boom" so I'll post mine. when I was 17 I worked as a dishpig at Earl's making $5/hour plus tips. Don't let that tip thing fool you. that's about 75cents/hour. I would start around 5:30pm. The resturant closed at 1am but I would often be washing crap until 4am. I wouldn't even take breaks because no one would cover for me and I feared that if I took a 15min break, there would be 4 piles of plates as high as my eyeballs (literally).

Boy did I use that as motivation to get me through university and to never work in the kitchen again!

Glenn, in today's market, especially the labour market they will try anything to get you in....especially the "wages up to." which means you won't get that wage. As for why you had a totally different job..that I have no idea. prettty scary that the headhunter is even misleading you.

glennc
08-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I learned that now that they will do almost anything to get a working set of arms and legs to move the stack of shipments waiting.

Its just a shame they can't do it the morally right way. Posting a huge colourful sign.

googe
08-29-2006, 01:20 PM
what does the headhunter care? she gets paid to get people in there. she'll do whatever she can and take the money and run. like most people, shes only looking out for #1 ;)

Orbie
08-29-2006, 05:48 PM
Wow with all the people of varying ages here I'm surprised no one has stated a starting job below $5. Back in the day, Wendy's for 2 years, started at $4.25 after 1 year raise to $4.35, and this wasn't my first job either.

Anyways back to the point, I agree glennc that leaving both jobs was a good idea, if there wasn't ever a chance to move to forklifter then get out. I don't agree with what you're saying in concept though, if you're going to go through life thinking that every job you apply for MUST have every job responsibility listed on the job description, you're in for a rude rude surprise. There really is no such thing as "I got exactly what I applied for" in the real world, but I agree you should still get to do the fundamental things that you applied for.

seer_claw
08-29-2006, 06:44 PM
You know what, your 17 and in school. Get a backbone and do some manual work. If you show that you are a hard worker you'll be more likely to be moved up quicker. I am working as a 'Project Coordinator' and still have to do labour work. I have a diplome from SAIT and I was shown the responsiblilites that I was supposed to take care of. Labour work wasn't included but I do it anyways.

As a side note get everything people say in writing and then you have a valid arguement. You prove that they said something, ie write it down and get both of you to sign it. A contract of your wage and responsibilities. That way even if you are asked to to labour work you are still getting the wages that you asked for.

BTW I started at Safeway when I was 17 for $4.55/hr and I believe that was $0.50 over minimum wage. And let me tell you pushing shopping carts in the snow really really sucks. Must be nice to start at $15/hr, even now I don't make a lot more than that and I have a tonne of experience in the construction field.

glennc
08-30-2006, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Orbie
Wow with all the people of varying ages here I'm surprised no one has stated a starting job below $5. Back in the day, Wendy's for 2 years, started at $4.25 after 1 year raise to $4.35, and this wasn't my first job either.

Anyways back to the point, I agree glennc that leaving both jobs was a good idea, if there wasn't ever a chance to move to forklifter then get out. I don't agree with what you're saying in concept though, if you're going to go through life thinking that every job you apply for MUST have every job responsibility listed on the job description, you're in for a rude rude surprise. There really is no such thing as "I got exactly what I applied for" in the real world, but I agree you should still get to do the fundamental things that you applied for.

Yeah, thats what I was going for. Fundementals. If I ended up doing manual labour for a couple of months that would suck, but no point in stickin around for anything more then a day since I found out people who have been there for years are still on pallat jacks.

You know what, your 17 and in school. Get a backbone and do some manual work. If you show that you are a hard worker you'll be more likely to be moved up quicker. I am working as a 'Project Coordinator' and still have to do labour work. I have a diplome from SAIT and I was shown the responsiblilites that I was supposed to take care of. Labour work wasn't included but I do it anyways.

As a side note get everything people say in writing and then you have a valid arguement. You prove that they said something, ie write it down and get both of you to sign it. A contract of your wage and responsibilities. That way even if you are asked to to labour work you are still getting the wages that you asked for.

BTW I started at Safeway when I was 17 for $4.55/hr and I believe that was $0.50 over minimum wage. And let me tell you pushing shopping carts in the snow really really sucks. Must be nice to start at $15/hr, even now I don't make a lot more than that and I have a tonne of experience in the construction field.

The main problem with this job was that the hiring was done by ITS, a seperate company that does temporary and permenant work. The "written agreement" was, will you work 48 hours a week? With previous jobs, I got the work I applied for. At Mcdonalds, I was a counterman and of course I had to do things off the description, but the bottom line was that I wasnt a janitor when I applied for a counterman position.

McDicks was 5.90, and even though it was a shitty job I'm glad I had it. It tought me why I need to go to school and get an education. I was taking an electric scooter home from work at 12 at night and leaving again at 4 in the morning. The days I had more time off at night I used to babysit across the street for 3 dollars an hour. It tought me the value of a dollar, and that money is hard work.

One thing that seems to be coming up alot is the thought that I can't do manual labour. I can, and am willing to, if the manual labour leads me to a better future.

seer_claw
08-30-2006, 06:26 AM

The main problem with this job was that the hiring was done by ITS, a seperate company that does temporary and permenant work. The written agreement; was, will you work 48 hours a week? With previous jobs, I got the work I applied for.

Yes there was written contract but if there was a person who said that you would be hired for a position and payed a certain wage then get it in writing. Then take it to the management and show them. You then have a valid response to them saying the position is not open.

glennc
08-30-2006, 08:15 AM
Next time. ;)

Super_Geo
08-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Why online school? If I did that my cock would so chafed from jerking off while 'studying'... :dunno:

glennc
08-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Its just faster and allows me to have time for a job, which doesn't seem to be happeneing.

b_t
08-30-2006, 08:20 PM
Man stop fucking complaining. I had to work in a sawmill, take the unhealthiness of your powdercoating job (the air was about 20% sawdust, it was not heated and cold as shit), make it an "industrial athlete" job, I had to take giant blocks of wood and stack it for eight hours straight, operate a forklift, wrap the lifts, fix everything that fell over all that stuff, at an absolutely breakneck pace for $14 an hour with no help. this also happened in an area with sustained 130dB noise, so you had to wear earplugs and earmuffs and didn't talk to anyone at all except on your 10 minute breaks you got every three hours.

But they only put me there to see if I was worth the trouble to train for an operator job. Those jobs are way more comfortable. AFter four weeks of the worst work I have ever had to do, I got a raise to $22 an hour and got a cushy slow job in the back where I had a nice team and got to listen to a radio.

You have to tough it out. Your 17, you should not be complaining about making $14 an hour. When I was your age I worked two jobs making maybe $7 an hour each just to get my car, and I only barely afforded it. You are going to start in the shittest job, all the time. Deal with it. They do it to see if you are worth all their trouble, and you have just proved to both of those employers you are worthless.

FiveFreshFish
08-30-2006, 08:29 PM
Employers shouldn't be misrepresenting the duties of a job regardless of age.

carter_prelude
08-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by l8braker

Pretty cocky for a 17 year old, especially your involvement in the Ask Leo threads as of late.

Maybe, just maybe, they see a "17 year old" and want you to do the bitch jobs to prove yourself before you touch a forklift, etc.

Work your way up, and don't complain about any job, as there are others who wish they had as much as you do!

^ WORD. Im 17 as well and i make only $7 an hour :( lol...i don't mind, everyone has to start somewhere. I work in a garage and before they would let me do oil changes i spent about a month or 2 just cleaning up shit aorund the shop and doing the bitch jobs like dumping the oil, takin out garbage. You can't expect them to let you hop on a fork lift the first day. I know if i was the employer i would want to make sure that i never let some tool come run an expencive machine.

googe
08-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by googe

glennc
08-30-2006, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by carter_prelude

^ WORD. Im 17 as well and i make only $7 an hour :( lol...i don't mind, everyone has to start somewhere. I work in a garage and before they would let me do oil changes i spent about a month or 2 just cleaning up shit aorund the shop and doing the bitch jobs like dumping the oil, takin out garbage. You can't expect them to let you hop on a fork lift the first day. I know if i was the employer i would want to make sure that i never let some tool come run an expencive machine.

True, but a recently issed certification says that I know more then how to drive them, but max loads, ect.

kaput
08-30-2006, 10:37 PM

glennc
08-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Yeah, of course it will take time for respect and all that junk.

I've driven forklifts.

I've driven heavy machinery.

I am experienced on them.

This is all besides the point. Employers are dishonest.

kerry
08-30-2006, 11:07 PM
I do agree with you on how being lied to by the
hiring lady was stupid,

But everything else I don't.

I worked at an aftermarket performance show in
Ft McMurray when I was in grade 12 and I was THRILLED
to get $10/hr. I thought it was an insane amount of
money, but I had to do BITCH work. Sweep the floors,
clean the oil trap organize the tools etc etc.

Then after about 5 months they let me start working on
cars so I learned a lot.

My point, regardless of how shitty something is,
if you show that you're driven that will be noticed
and will be rewarded.

Don't quit because "it's not what you wanted" or because
"it's too hard". You're 17 so just suck it up for now.

You are, infact, going to have to do work you don't want
to do sometime in your life, and when you have a house
and a family you won't be able to just up and quit.
Get used to it....

msommers
08-30-2006, 11:09 PM
I agree with all of those who have said basically "put in your time now, reap the benifits later"

When I started my job in cold lake as an industrial electrian, you think wiring shit up is easy and effortless. Well try pulling cable (large and small sized) for 6 weeks in a row, working out of town, in the middle of fucking nowhere with no cell phone reception and 2 hours away from any town. After that I got transfered to a different spot with was about x1000 better and no pulling cable! Stop your fucking bitching about TOUGH JOBS. I garuntee someone has had it better than you and got a great job when they were 17. Thats about 5% of the population. Everyone else has had a shitty job and probably stuck it out and didn't get a whole lot out of it in the end. It motivates you do strive for better things in life as far as I'm concerned.

While I will agree with you leaving for health benifits (the employer should have provided you with some sort of breathing apparatus with all the toxic fuse of that sort, it's law under OH&S), I don't agree leaving after one day with the fork lift job. In all honesty, you said you have your fork lift certificate but your 17, how many years experience could you possibly have for someone just to turn you loose? If I was the employer, there is no hope in hell I'd just hand you keys and say 'this and that needs to be done I'll talk to you at the end of the day.' I don't agree with head hunters putting up false claims in general though. That is just down right cunty!

And Glenn, earlier you mentioned that understaffing means dishonest workplaces? Welcome to Calgary if you just moved.

Take a drive through foothills industrial park and look at all the signs posted outside their buildings.

If you want a job with minimal/lighter lifting, go work IT, deli, bakery, waiting tables, washing dishes, mopping floors etc. Oh wait, you wanted to make $15/hr! Oh well nevermind then.

Maybe you should try being a transvestite prostitute! No heavy lifting and I'll could imagine you'd make more than 15/hr! You seem like the kind of guy that would enjoy a gentle touch from an older man dubbed 'Big John'

glennc
08-31-2006, 12:21 AM
I haven't listed EVERY reason I didn't stay at that perticular job.

I agree entirely that you have to work hard to get somewhere good.

I didn't want to make 15/hr. Everyone is putting words in my mouth. I'm happy with anything over 7 as long as I remotly enjoy my surroundings.

The employer trusted me on a pallatejack that can easily snap someone in half just as much as anything else, all they take is common sense to drive.

In NO WAY is this a "im not making enough money" or a "I left because It was heavy and I got hot" or any other type of thread. This is about honesty. This is about why employers cant be honest with you when you get hired about safty concerns, its my right as a future employee to know!

And Glenn, earlier you mentioned that understaffing means dishonest workplaces? Welcome to Calgary if you just moved.

I Know thats how it is, but what Im trying to get to the bottom of is why are there endless groups of people jobless and jobs that have the wrong title to get people to work for them. Its ridiculous that they need to lie to get workers.

adidas
08-31-2006, 12:57 AM
Some of you fellas have a very good point. But im sick of hearing "when i was 17 i was making 4.95/h" shut a hell up...when you were 17 which was probably 4-5 years ago the price of gas was .60/L, the cost of a big mac meal was 4 bux and cost for a pair of shoes was 70. Now that calgary has grown obviously the prices have all skyrocketed, gas 1.05/L, big mac meal close to 6 bux and the same shoes that were 70 are now a 100! So shut up with ur god damn "i was making such and such 5 years ago" The economy has changed.

Glennc brother, if you plan on getting a better job where u wont get assigned to lift boxes all day then college/univ is ur best bet!
Wouldnt it be nice to finish 4 years or even 2 years of univ and then sit infront of a computer while you fuck around and get paid 40 an hour?! I know it would, so get a job that wont force u physically, work there just to have some side cash and what not so that when ur done school u can go to univ!

No hard feelings for anyone, we are all brothers! :thumbsup:

403Gemini
08-31-2006, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by adidas
Some of you fellas have a very good point. But im sick of hearing "when i was 17 i was making 4.95/h" shut a hell up...when you were 17 which was probably 4-5 years ago the price of gas was .60/L, the cost of a big mac meal was 4 bux and cost for a pair of shoes was 70. Now that calgary has grown obviously the prices have all skyrocketed, gas 1.05/L, big mac meal close to 6 bux and the same shoes that were 70 are now a 100! So shut up with ur god damn "i was making such and such 5 years ago" The economy has changed.

Glennc brother, if you plan on getting a better job where u wont get assigned to lift boxes all day then college/univ is ur best bet!
Wouldnt it be nice to finish 4 years or even 2 years of univ and then sit infront of a computer while you fuck around and get paid 40 an hour?! I know it would, so get a job that wont force u physically, work there just to have some side cash and what not so that when ur done school u can go to univ!

big mac meals were about a 50 cents less, and shoes cost more back then ;)

edit: oh and try and be a bit more tactful than "shut a hell up" (whatever the fuck that means, i assume you meant "shut the fuck up")

adidas
08-31-2006, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

big mac meals were about a 50 cents less, and shoes cost more back then ;)

edit: oh and try and be a bit more tactful than "shut a hell up" (whatever the fuck that means, i assume you meant "shut the fuck up")

shoes cost less?! where do u shop at? the thrifty store?! the last time i checked shoes were much cheaper back in the day then they are now! as for the big mac meal...i havent ate there in a few years, but last time i was in there with some friends the meal was 5.79 or some shit and 5 years ago it was 4.59

but that doesnt matter...my whole point was that stuff was alot cheaper so thats why ppl were making a low wage working at a fast food place.

blitz
08-31-2006, 07:44 AM

shoes cost less?! where do u shop at? the thrifty store?! the last time i checked shoes were much cheaper back in the day then they are now! as for the big mac meal...i havent ate there in a few years, but last time i was in there with some friends the meal was 5.79 or some shit and 5 years ago it was 4.59

but that doesnt matter...my whole point was that stuff was alot cheaper so thats why ppl were making a low wage working at a fast food place.

Oh come on. For highschool students living at home, the "cost of living" hasn't gone up in proportion with the wages. Price of a big mac meal goes up 20% and that means that a 150% increase in wages is in line?How many fucking Big Mac meals do you eat in a week? :rofl:

Highschool students are earning $12+ per hour doing shit jobs because of the labour shortage, not because of an increased cost of living or because you're working harder than people did 5 years ago.

What this all comes down to is no 15-17 year old without a highschool education should be "complaining" about $12+ dollars an hour. Which to re-iterate, is NOT what glennc was doing.

jdmakkord
08-31-2006, 07:56 AM

Funny, I used to spend $150+ on kicks back in the day. Fuck, Jordans used to go for just under $200.

mekeni
08-31-2006, 08:27 AM
just finish school and after you have a degree, you should have a plethora of jobs/companies to choose from. :thumbsup:

adidas
08-31-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

Funny, I used to spend $150+ on kicks back in the day. Fuck, Jordans used to go for just under $200.

Okay and how much where jordans 21 when they first came out?

around 229...thx for playing tho!

glennc
08-31-2006, 11:56 AM

Exactly. The cost of living isn't the only part, what about rent and property? In the last 5 years the rent of a small apartment has gone up a decent chunk. I've im going to be expected to support myself possibly as soon as in 6 months, 5.90 ain't gonna cut it :)

Originally posted by mekeni
just finish school and after you have a degree, you should have a plethora of jobs/companies to choose from. :thumbsup:

Thats the game plan, for the future. I just wish I knew how I wanted to get where I want to go. I plan to go to Sait sometime this month to check out exactly what they have to offer.

Hahaha, did you like my McBitch comment that much? :eek:

FlamingC19
08-31-2006, 12:33 PM
Hahaha, did you like my McBitch comment that much?

No because you've only upgraded yourself to beyonds bitch.

just playin :poosie:

glennc
08-31-2006, 12:35 PM
It's cool, beyond sucks anyways. I'm starting to care less and less that a bunch of 22 year old single guys are laughing at me.

jdmakkord
08-31-2006, 12:41 PM
It's cool, beyond sucks anyways. I'm starting to care less and less that a bunch of 22 year old single guys are laughing at me.

Now now, dont go and slit your wrists now kiddo, it aint that bad.

FlamingC19
08-31-2006, 12:54 PM
I just had to get you back someway b/c you got me for saying beaking

DoubleLP
08-31-2006, 01:05 PM
:drama:

glennc
08-31-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by scotty_69
I just had to get you back someway b/c you got me for saying beaking

Haha, well that was funny. I've never heard the term beaking, and I thought you meant it in reference to a birds attack.

adidas
08-31-2006, 01:45 PM
the McBitch comment was too funny that it had to be my sig!

glennc
08-31-2006, 01:50 PM
the McBitch comment was too funny that it had to be my sig!

Anyone who has ever worked at mcdonalds knows... The "team leader" was like 16 when I was 14 working there and they always push you around like they're hotshots.

DoubleLP
08-31-2006, 01:59 PM

Anyone who has ever worked at mcdonalds knows... The "team leader" was like 16 when I was 14 working there and they always push you around like they're hotshots.

Oh yes........can't forget that. My Team Leader had a fetish of hitting you in the nuts with his keys.

That guy had issues.

boi-alien
08-31-2006, 02:15 PM
dude... i know a perfect job for you... go work for some unionized company. That's the right place for you. Just beause you're not forklifting on the first night it doesn't mean anything. Did "leo" ever say "you will NEVER touch a fork lift"? Did the job description say you will ONLY forklift? Chances are no.

khtm
08-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by forced14

HAHA I wish, I worked there for 3 and a half years through high school and my first year of college, and only made $8.50 an hour. That was just over a year ago. If it jumped up that much that fast, wowzas. Or I could have been screwed over... story of my life :zzz:.

Oh well I am on to way better things now :)

--forced
I saw a sign down near 160 ave SW at Dairy Queen that said $12 or something. Times are changing dude ;)

Manifesto55
08-31-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by mekeni

Yea, for sure. Go get a philosophy degree. They just opened that massive philosophy factory south of town.

glennc
08-31-2006, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by boi-alien
dude... i know a perfect job for you... go work for some unionized company. That's the right place for you. Just beause you're not forklifting on the first night it doesn't mean anything. Did "leo" ever say "you will NEVER touch a fork lift"? Did the job description say you will ONLY forklift? Chances are no.

Job description was "loading trucks with a forklift and assisting pallate jack operators in getting merchandise too high"

Leo told me "basically dude, theres people who have been here for years in front of you in line, It could be years before you touched a forklift".

And my team leader had a fetish too... His was trying to loop his foot in my lanyard and pull my keys from my pocket.

boi-alien
08-31-2006, 03:30 PM
<snipped>and assisting pallate jack operators<snipped>

I rest my case.

glennc
08-31-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by boi-alien

I rest my case.

I've said before, I didn't mind the work if it had a future to it.

DoubleLP
08-31-2006, 03:35 PM
There is a future with the job.........it is just going to take sometime.

you dont walk into a job as a newbie and expect to be the top dog in a matter of a couple of months. There is everyone else ahead of you that has a shot at the position first before you. That is the same everywhere unless you own your own buisness.

glennc
08-31-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by DoubleLP
There is a future with the job.........it is just going to take sometime.

you dont walk into a job as a newbie and expect to be the top dog in a matter of a couple of months. There is everyone else ahead of you that has a shot at the position first before you. That is the same everywhere unless you own your own buisness.

True. Herein lies the problem, I wouldn't be there for more then a year probably, and I wouldn't want to do manual labour for that long and end up leaving.

Im considering work as a parts person at a dealership or something. I enjoyed partsource, maybe thats the right job for me until I start my career.

DoubleLP
08-31-2006, 03:41 PM
And that is completely understandable. You have to be happy with the job in order to want to stay there long enough to move up the ladder.

Been there done that.

glennc
08-31-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by DoubleLP
And that is completely understandable. You have to be happy with the job in order to want to stay there long enough to move up the ladder.

Been there done that.

Amen.

Rockski
09-01-2006, 07:22 AM
wow this was all just

Bitch bitch bitch
put in place
plut in place
knock down a few pegs
bitch bitch defence bitch
put in place

:rofl:

the bottom line is even if you have your forklift tickets and certs... you will not get trusted IMMEDIATLY on the job site with a piece of machiery like that.... i know a pallet jack could snap a person in half but a fork lift could do a shit load more

the black snot is called "shop oysters" caused by sandblasting/pwodercoating/grinding/ welding fumes get used to them if your in a shop
the acid wash didnt cause it but you were kinda stupid not to ask for a respirator.... even a community one is better then none

the way it sounds you wanna sit on a chair and make cash... not gonna happen... unless you wanna busk on the street or something to that extent

money takes work

kerry
09-04-2006, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Rockski
wow this was all just

Bitch bitch bitch
put in place
plut in place
knock down a few pegs
bitch bitch defence bitch
put in place

You forgot the most important part of glennc's run.
Ban....

msommers
09-04-2006, 01:08 AM
Ziiiiiing!:burnout:

broken_legs
09-04-2006, 01:18 AM
I think all of you people bashing this kid are retarded.

Who says you can't make 15/hr if you are 17? I was making that much money when i was 16 .,.. IN BC of all places. I think this kid is SMART for quitting those jobs. He can do much better, especially if he has those certs and experience.

I have quit jobs because they mis represented what the job was. What your told in the interview and what you actually do are two different things. In this job market you can do anything you want. When I was looking for a job after school, I already had a job(a career). I was looking for a better one, I asked my potential employers more questions then they asked me, and the one I eventually chose lied to me to get me in the office. Needless to say I quit that job after 3 months for something better. If an employer is willing to lie to you about what the actual job is to get you in the door, there is a reason. Typically jobs like that have a high turn over rate, and aren't places where you want to be working anyways.

I think all of the people who are knocking this kid are just bitter, and its all of you bitter people that will be filling and sticking with those go-no where jobs.

Props to the kid.

Supa Dexta
09-04-2006, 08:36 AM
30+hr shifts on an offshore crabboat ftw! ha you wanna talk about shitty work!

carry on...

asuth077
09-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Manifesto55

Yea, for sure. Go get a philosophy degree. They just opened that massive philosophy factory south of town.

:rofl:

DoubleLP
09-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs
I think all of you people bashing this kid are retarded.

Who says you can't make 15/hr if you are 17? I was making that much money when i was 16 .,.. IN BC of all places. I think this kid is SMART for quitting those jobs. He can do much better, especially if he has those certs and experience.

I have quit jobs because they mis represented what the job was. What your told in the interview and what you actually do are two different things. In this job market you can do anything you want. When I was looking for a job after school, I already had a job(a career). I was looking for a better one, I asked my potential employers more questions then they asked me, and the one I eventually chose lied to me to get me in the office. Needless to say I quit that job after 3 months for something better. If an employer is willing to lie to you about what the actual job is to get you in the door, there is a reason. Typically jobs like that have a high turn over rate, and aren't places where you want to be working anyways.

I think all of the people who are knocking this kid are just bitter, and its all of you bitter people that will be filling and sticking with those go-no where jobs.

Props to the kid.

Um............what?? Experience and certificates? What experience would he have? I doubt that he has been driving a forklift nearly as much as the other guys who have been in the workplace for over 20 years. If you are young and are just starting out, the chances that you are going to be doing the top end job right away are pretty slim if you ask me.

It is good that he is not willing to compromise, but at the same time that has to be done in order to start out somewhere. We all had to do it.

Maxt
09-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Glennc, this dishonesty has been going on forever in lower ranked jobs, its nothing new...
All I can say is avoid jobs that have "mass interviews" you know there is a high turnover rate, and the job has got to suck when they interview 30 people at a time..
Save some old papers and look for the reoccuring job ads..That was the best thing I ever did, then you can cross check add phone numbers and look for the repeat misrepresenters.. Or if a job keeps coming up every 2 weeks, it probably sucks to bad for anyone to bother staying..
When I was your age, man I never thought I would say that, it was hard to find a job that suited the teenage lifestyle. And the shittiest places prey on teen workers..
I applied for an automotive career starter position when I was 16, suprise it was selling majestic vaccuums , the only thing to do with cars was the car ride to the showroom..They tell you about the selling vaccuums part on the ride to the "showroom".. Lame.I had the job for all of 1 hour, I got my ride back to my car and told them to get stuffed..
The second automotive helper job I applied for was helping sell Mr windshield 50 dollar replacments door to door..Lame again. The hip hip hurray do you want to make money session was hardly over when I told them off ..
In the end , the best place I ended up working when I was a teen, was for mom and pop full service gas station, they didnt have to hide to many facts during the interview or the hiring process...
You also cant really go wrong with the big chains, they tend to follow the labour rules to a T. So that reduces the risk of getting screwed out of overtime, stat pay, rolling shift breaks etc etc..

GTS Jeff
09-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You sound like a bitch

Took the words right out of my mouth! A lot of kids in the Western world are far too spoiled these days. Glenn, stop thinking you're entitled to a cushy job paying $15/hr! This summer, I was in Thailand where kids like you walked around in traffic selling limpdick flowers they picked out of the gutter to make a living.

Glennc, stop your whining, appreciate what you've got, and get to work moving boxes around!

GTS Jeff
09-04-2006, 02:16 PM
PS. If you can find a better job, then all the power to you. But stop bitching!