PDA

View Full Version : Controlling my 550s does RCTS do a rom tune or do I need ATS

Redlyne_mr2
08-29-2006, 01:10 AM
Hey guys,
So im thinking I need a proper way to control my 550s no more afc crap however I really dont want to deal with ATS and Im wondering if anyone knows of a local or semilocal rom tuner/producer. Advice opinions etc. I do not want standalone, BTW Max is your rom for 550s? If so Im interested.
Ryan

AllSXEDUP
08-29-2006, 08:00 AM
Give him a call. he does good work. i had my car done there. but i got an HKS computer

jvillain
08-29-2006, 09:40 PM
I know you don't want a stand alone but it does give you options for the future.

One of the best posts ever was over on mr2oc. Some guy had just posted that he just wanted to make 220 -230hp. The next post was "Ya, thats how it always starts". It is so, so true.

You throw X amount of money at your car to get going. Well if you just spent X then 1/50th of X is nothing so I guess you can get that intake stack as well.

Then one day your reading the 5000th post about how water injection saved buddies engine. Your thinking about all the mone\y you sunk into your car and how you would hate for it to be waisted so you just get the water injection. After all you would have to be crazy not to right?

Then one day your fuel pump just craps out. You have to change the fuel pump because the car is dead without it. A walboro is a lot cheaper than an OE unit and hey it will also flow more fuel. If you sell the car some day you can advertise the fuel pump as a "performance upgrade".

But when you are removing the hoses to drop the tank one of the hoses tears. Toyota wants $$$ for oe hoses but you can get steel braided for the same money. Then you are good incase you want to do secret street. But while you are swapping in your new hoses you discouver you can't find an adapter that will mate them with the stock regulator so you swap that, but then it doesn't work with the rail so the rail gets swapped for that real cool Wolfkatz peice.

But then some guy on the board is practicly giving away some 850's for some reason and you say "Hey it's the last step, I'll just finish the fuel and then I never have to look at it again".

A month passes with you thinking about how you have enough fuel to support 800hp and some thing strange happens. No matter what link you click on in your browser you seem to end up at the KO site looking at turbos. It's like magic.

Fast forward a couple of years and all of a sudden you have 400hp on tap and the Vettes won't even venture out on the Deerfoot after the streetlights come on.

Sure you want a ROM tune?

gpomp
08-29-2006, 10:27 PM
^ good post

EK 2.0
08-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
^ good post

very good post...:thumbsup:

Ek9Max
08-29-2006, 10:52 PM
My rom tune is for 550cc's yea.

Redlyne_mr2
08-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Yeah I hear what youre saying Shaun, Thats sort of how I built my suspension, body, chassis, and brakes, pretty much all out. For right now though I want to live in the "now". Im worried my turbo kit will not perform well with the 440s and an afc so i want to swap in the 550s I have along with a rail and pump. I dont want to spend anymore time messing around with this and that. I just want to drive the car, enjoy the chassis setup that I have and work on my driving skills.

TurboTEGRA
08-29-2006, 11:50 PM
REg at Rcts did my car he is a good guy but PRICY.

MrPid
10-24-2006, 10:50 PM
Anything decisive come out of this thread? I'm in the same boat as Redlyne and I emailed Reg a couple of days ago for a solution but he came back at me saying that the techtoms were hard to get these days, etc.. Originally I was going to buy a hydra nemesis but now I'm thinkin' that's more work than I want to get into and maybe a rom tune would be the way to go.

I'm not in a hurry - going to do it over the winter - car is stored anyways.

Anybody find a good solution?

bmeier
10-25-2006, 03:42 PM
ATS Rom tune for the win, if i didnt buy my gen 3 i would have gone ats rom tune with 550. Nice amount of power and still reliable.

Rick sold his car because he had so many problems with the nemesis, unless you can tune it yourself and have access to dyno standalones are crap IMO.

Personally i like to have a car that has stock reliability, you start messind around too much and you just wind up with a car that is a pain in the ass.

MrPid
10-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Any more info on the ATS? Sorry...haven't been exposd to the product...

Ghettobaby
10-25-2006, 04:51 PM
go to www.atsracing.net to see the rom tune, or you can search mr2oc to read about their rom tunes

Redlyne_mr2
10-25-2006, 06:04 PM
Ya I think Ill just go with the rom tune, Im just really really not looking forward to dealing with those guys. I like the fact that it also comes with a toggle switch to run either 91 or 94 octane. Its a shame Reg is done with techtom, its a nice product, maybe Ill give him a holler when Im ready to do something.

Zenshi
10-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Hydra nemesis is a great software, but its very complicated to use. If your not fimilar with tuning software, I wouldn't go that route because finding a tuner that will know the hydra is unlikely meaning they will have to get fimilar with it and learn it again... wasting some of your paid time! ;)

stealth
10-25-2006, 10:44 PM
Ryan, how come you seem to not like ATS?

rage2
10-26-2006, 07:51 AM
Hydra nemesis isn't a difficult standalone... like all standalones if you have the neccessary knowledge of fuel requirements, timing maps, it can be tuned easily. What licks nuts about nemesis is that the user interface is brutal. Makes life very difficult for making small changes so it becomes very time consuming.

Redlyne_mr2
10-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by stealth
Ryan, how come you seem to not like ATS?
Rick (Zenshi) and I both ordered parts from them last winter. It literally took 3 months, even more for Rick, for our parts to show up. Mine werent anything special either, tb inlet and egr delete. I know Ek9Max had serious issues with those guys as well. Im appreciate what they are doing for the mr2 community but they are poor business men and really need to get their act together.

stealth
10-31-2006, 10:47 PM
Thats shitty, I hate it when parts take forever to get here.

71 mgb
11-17-2006, 10:04 AM
I have never liked the idea of paying some one $$$ to take a guess at what is best for my car but their are ppl that do. I would sugest haven a look at the Apexi Power FC (this option dose require a fair bit of set up tho) or the AEM EMS which is probley one of the most user friendly units out their.
If you want more info on the AEM shot me a PM :thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
11-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by 71 mgb
I have never liked the idea of paying some one $$$ to take a guess at what is best for my car but their are ppl that do. I would sugest haven a look at the Apexi Power FC (this option dose require a fair bit of set up tho) or the AEM EMS which is probley one of the most user friendly units out their.
If you want more info on the AEM shot me a PM :thumbsup:
For the mr2s I hear nothing but bad things about the aem ems, hydranemesis seems to be the first and only choice for these cars. The apexi power fc is a nice unit but no one in town to tune it and I need a gen 3 3sgte engine from Japan as it will not work on my gen 2 3sgte. Gen 3 has map, gen 2 has afm.

Tech2
11-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Did those parts by any chance get held up at customs, or was it just ATS?

Redlyne_mr2
11-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Tech2
Did those parts by any chance get held up at customs, or was it just ATS?
It was all ATS, I sent them email after email, never any response. I would call and leave voicemails, never get a call back. I don't remember how I finally got in touch with them but it took forever.They did send me a free tshirt to compensate for the trouble but it was so much trouble that a tshirt doesnt really justify something like that. I know Rick had huge issues with getting his core money back and he also had the same parts delay I had. Max on the board here also had huge delays with some parts he had ordered as well. It's not uncommon to see threads on the mr2 boards about ATS and how they dont respond.

Zenshi
11-28-2006, 05:33 PM
They also gave me an XXL t-shirt that doesnt fit =)
so i use it as my chair cover, and its disappeared somewhere.

ATS makes decent products, but yeah their customer service is down. =( I think they got some communication issues in their system ;) internal and external!