PDA

View Full Version : Attention All Engineers

LuxCars
08-29-2006, 01:44 AM
Hey I am a first Year Engg student at U of C and I have a little favor to ask a second year Engg student who also attended U of C.

Can i please have all your notes/ work. I would like to use them as a roadmap and would like to study them early so im not completely blind when school starts and so i dont end up getting hit hard.

I would also prefer to receive notes from someone who is of higher intelligence so that i can understand their notes and so that most of their exam answers are right so that i can study off them.

Thanks in advance.

ramez.

liquidboi69
08-29-2006, 01:49 AM
I don't know if anyone will give you ALL their notes...we need them because course info kind of carries on to second year (statics and dyanmics, chem, calculas, and physics..)

You might find someone that will let you photocopy it though..asking to have all their notes is prob gonna be hard. So asking for some from someone of high intel will be even harder...

LuxCars
08-29-2006, 01:57 AM
Alright, so if anyone would let me copy them would also be great.

thnks^^

kaput
08-29-2006, 09:11 AM

rc2002
08-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Just go to ESS and pay the $5 for the old exams. Notes are useless.

I think that using roadmaps ruins the whole system. People who graduate using that method never really learn the material.

arian_ma
08-29-2006, 11:13 AM
Old notes are useless because everyone has their own way of taking notes and at the rates the profs go you probably won't even know where on the page to start reading. Like Richard said, ESS is your friend, and so is team work ;)
My advice to you, prepare for a rapin', cause it's coming no matter how smart you are.

elmo909
08-29-2006, 12:43 PM
I suggest you get some anal lube. The notes aren't going to spare you a rape.

khtm
08-29-2006, 12:50 PM
"Attention all Engineering Students" ;)

FiveFreshFish
08-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Notes should be YOUR interpretation of the material presented in the lecture. Take them yourself, and you don't have to write down every word the prof says or writes. You'll learn the course better and ultimately spend less time studying.

Someone else's notes may or may not make sense to you and it could bite you in the ass at the worst moment. If you rely on LAST year's notes to study for exams, you could be missing some new stuff covered THIS year.

turbotrip
08-29-2006, 11:14 PM
notes are useless, just attend class and pay attention and you will be a lot better off than going into class and writing down everythying on the board but not understanding it at all.

i didnt take any notes and went to about 50% of the classes and still passed. Just study previous exams and your good. Its not as bad as most people will tell you it is.

XylathaneGTR
08-29-2006, 11:21 PM
I partially agree w/ Turbo on this, Paying attention is key. You can write everything a prof/teacher says and just write write write and not understand. in HS, i found listening and a small amount of notes worked best, and then applying that knowledge with examples and practice/old exams.

I'm starting engineering this year too, and i plan to take this and the study group approach.

A2VR6
08-29-2006, 11:35 PM
In my opinion, theres no best way to approach first year engineering. You basically have to figure out whats YOUR best way to learn. Some people do better paying attention in class and not taking notes, others do better by taking down as much notes as possible and then re-reading those notes afterwards to gain a better understanding. Figuring out your best way to learn will probably hurt... I know I got destroyed my first semester but after I found my way of learning I did ALOT better.

umreeka91
08-29-2006, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip
notes are useless, just attend class and pay attention and you will be a lot better off than going into class and writing down everythying on the board but not understanding it at all.

i didnt take any notes and went to about 50% of the classes and still passed. Just study previous exams and your good. Its not as bad as most people will tell you it is.

hello turbo

im going to engg nxt year also, just wondering, just passing engg will get you into civil or something like that eh? How is chemical engg? tough to get into? i want to try for that but heard its rlly hard!

camby
08-30-2006, 12:02 AM
All the froshies... don't sweat it everyone is pretty much in same boat. Just do your assignments, study and don't spend all your time partying and you should be fine.

If you guys want "roadmaps" just randomly go inside a 3rd/4th year homeroom and ask someone. I gave all my notes to some kid but I think he's dropped out now... better for society anyways.

turbotrip
08-30-2006, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by umreeka91

hello turbo

im going to engg nxt year also, just wondering, just passing engg will get you into civil or something like that eh? How is chemical engg? tough to get into? i want to try for that but heard its rlly hard!

hello umreeka

just passing will get you into electrical/geomatics/software
doing good will get u into civil/manufacturing
doing great will get u into mechanical/chemical
doing amazing will get u into oil & gas

a.z13
08-30-2006, 12:30 AM
^^ add computer to just passing

umreeka91
08-30-2006, 12:43 AM

hello umreeka

btw if you dont mind me asking, what did you opt to go into, and what were the benefits/downfalls to that area, im just debating whether to stay with my plan of chem, or try civil?!

turbotrip
08-30-2006, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by umreeka91

btw if you dont mind me asking, what did you opt to go into

somewhere between manufacturing and mechanical at the moment

and i dont know benefits/downfalls, but chem and civil are very different and you will learn more about each kind of engineering about half way through your first year.

V6-BoI
08-30-2006, 01:48 AM
The GPA to get into each department varies each year on the demand of each department. But for the past while, the trend has been going the way turbotrip mentioned.

And if you wanna look at benefits between Chemical and Civil, here's how I look at it. With the hot oil and gas market right now, if you go into Chemical, you should have no problems finding a job in Calgary (or any other place that is rich in oil) once you graduate. The demand for chemical engineers is pretty high right now, and I think it will stay that way for a while. Even though oil is a non renewable resource, but I think I'll probably be retired (if not dead) by the time it runs out, and by that time I would have made enough to live comfortably anyways. And for civil engineers, there will always be a demand for them wherever you go. Places are gonna need civil engineers to design a city's buildings/roads. Just that right now in Calgary, there will be a higher demand in Chemical/Oil & Gas Engineers. I made the mistake of not going into Chemical, I wish I got the chance to repick my choices again 3 years ago.

camby
08-30-2006, 01:51 AM

hello umreeka

I remember the days these were somewhat reversed...

szw
08-30-2006, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by camby

I remember the days these were somewhat reversed...

no kidding, when did this change happen? When EE's couldn't find jobs? haha

dj_honda
08-30-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by szw

no kidding, when did this change happen? When EE's couldn't find jobs? haha

Doesn't matter though, because EE is still the hardest program. Thats another thing to consider.....all other forms of engineering seem to get easier after the end of second year. But don't count on that in electrical.......while your chem/og/mech buddies are at the den all reading week, be prepared to be at school all 7days/nights writing verilog/vhdl for some fpga or something of the like.

Of course the non EE's will try to pass that off (saying their courses are SO much harder) but its the truth.

kaput
08-30-2006, 09:28 AM

arian_ma
08-30-2006, 09:48 AM
Getting into Mech is doing great?
Man I did the BARE minimum amount of work I needed to do to get into Mechanical, and I am NOT looking forward to school. I heard first year people struggle to get B's and A's, second year people struggle to get C- :cry:

A2VR6
08-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Getting into Mech is doing great?
Man I did the BARE minimum amount of work I needed to do to get into Mechanical, and I am NOT looking forward to school. I heard first year people struggle to get B's and A's, second year people struggle to get C- :cry:

Where did you hear that? Yes second year first semester for mech will probably be pretty bad but it's mainly because of ENGG 349... other than that course and ENGG 319 (in both I really struggled and so did ALOT of other people) everything else is the same or easier than first year stuff.

arian_ma
08-30-2006, 10:34 AM
So pretty much the same as first year then?
ENGG205 and PHYS259 rapage?
How's the physics course in second year?

dj_honda
08-30-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by kaput
I don't think EE is harder. The people that go into it are just dumber.

KIDDING! Well maybe a little.

from my high school, the smartest students in engg went to electrical. but then at the same time, all the students that didnt get their first few choice automatically got put in electrical. so its kind of a mix for the first 2 years max. 3rd year, you could tell all the idiots had been weeded out however, as every course was super competitive marks wise.

A2VR6
08-30-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
So pretty much the same as first year then?
ENGG205 and PHYS259 rapage?
How's the physics course in second year?

Yea it's comperable... except you dont have stuff like ENGG 251/253 to boost your GPA... personally I didnt find PHYS 369 that difficult, more or less the same as 259 (except people actually PASSED the final). The labs for 369 are a total pain in the ass tho. I ended up with a B in 369 where I got a B- in 259. Just beware of ENGG 349, make sure you either get SUDAK or SUN as a prof because if you get anyone else for that course your done for.

Evro
08-30-2006, 01:07 PM
what you gotta do is pull all nighters before the exams and not study, right turbotrip haha

andres_mt
08-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Anybody know what 2nd Year Engg is like for Electrical???

mo_money2supe
08-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
I think that using roadmaps ruins the whole system. People who graduate using that method never really learn the material.

*Ahem* I'm the perfect example of that! Oh, and btw, I still have your Engg 233 labs from like 5 years ago sitting at my house :nut: . PM me if you want them back anytime soon.

For the newbies entering Engg, honestly, just spend a couple hours a day studying/working on assignments, and you'll be fine! I realized how much better I did in classes and how much more I learned when I was the one being copied off of rather than the other way around. It's really not that bad when you have a little motivation behind ya. But wish all of you froshies the best in the new year though; you'll definitely need it! :thumbsup:

LuxCars
08-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks for all the replies, but im thinking to use notes as roadmaps only and not to copy them. I just want a rough direction of whats coming up.

What did most of you first year engg students end up doing as an option that you found easy.

I want to do an option that is easy and wont require much energy. So far i have registered in Rels201.

Anything that you guys can recommend that is good interesting and easy enough to get at least a b.

turbotrip
08-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Evro
what you gotta do is pull all nighters before the exams and not study, right turbotrip haha

:rofl: :rofl: yea if you wanna take mine and Evro's approach to studying you should stay up and play halo all night before your ENGG 205 exam instead of studying, then try to write the exam with absolutely no sleep and like 4 red bulls.

turbotrip
08-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by LuxCars

What did most of you first year engg students end up doing as an option that you found easy.

I want to do an option that is easy and wont require much energy. So far i have registered in Rels201.

Anything that you guys can recommend that is good interesting and easy enough to get at least a b.

GRST 211 is THE EASIEST option you can take. As long as you take the online version and you know someone who has taken it before and kept the assignments you are practically guaranteed an A+.

riceeater
08-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by LuxCars
Thanks for all the replies, but im thinking to use notes as roadmaps only and not to copy them. I just want a rough direction of whats coming up.

have you not gone to highschool before?? i dont see why frosh students worry so damn much about postsecondary... you're still taking notes, you're still going to classes and labs, it's no different than the public education you've had up to now... EXCEPT, now there's no one to hold your hand and baby you along and tell you what to do...

a lot of university courses have online notes from the profs themselves, just show up for the first couple days when they tell you where the course webpage is, and then you know what you need to study for each day, what is due and when, etc etc...

no one is gonna buy this "ooh, i just want to see how you write your notes"; bullshit, first thing i thought when i read your post was "look at this asshole, he just wants to slack his way through this and he thinks he's got it all figured out now... what a little bitch", and i'm pretty sure that's what you're gonna get from most people... you cant tell me you got through school and had good enough grades to get into ENG and you have no idea how to write notes :rolleyes: so dont swet it, if your study skills got you this far, they're more than enough for what university will throw at you

they make university sound like such a horrible overwhelming experience when you're in highschool..IT'S NOT! you have way more freedom and online resources than you could ever dream of in highschool

t-im
08-30-2006, 04:19 PM
I'd be surprised if anyone would give you notes just by asking them pointblank. Other peoples notes are useless anyways since everyone emphasizes different things. My biggest pet peeve is those people who are too busy to show up to class and then one day ask you for all your notes. :D

a.z13
08-30-2006, 04:24 PM
^^Agreed. I know your anxious/nervous/excited to start school and you wan't anything that will get you more prepared or ready, but their isn't. I guarentee if you get notes from someone, you'll look at them for a week and after that they'd be under ur bead or in your garbageJust relax and pay attention.

a social dsease
08-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Personally I think the only class that somebody elses notes would even be helpful is Engg 233, aka computer programming. This is because in that class they basically tell you everything you need to know in lecture. Notes from all the other classes are useless. If you want to copy my ENGG 233 notes, PM me. Also, if you don't have Dr Lissel for Engg 205, then try and find someone who is in her lecture, and photocopy her handouts, they are awesome.

As far as first year engg classes go,

AMAT 217 : easy as hell, assuming you took grade 12 calculus. This course should be a gimme.

AMAT 219 : slightly more advanced calculus, but not extremely difficult. Do a couple sample problems from each lecture, say 15 mins worth of each lesson (45 mins a week) plus the online assignments and you'll be fine.

Chem 209: I found this class hard as hell, but I really hate chemistry. Alot of my friends found it easy, so I would say it is easy. Even though I found it hard I still got a B, but I probably studied alot more for the MT and final than any other class that semester.

Engg 201 : Easy. All formulas, very little thinking required. Just copy the formulas down, remember when to use em, and your guaranteed a good mark.

Engg 205: Some say this was the hardest class in 1st yr, but I found it to be not so bad. The key to this class is visualizing the problems in your head, rather than just relying on formulas. Use common sense and it will be a breeze. This was probably my fav class, and inspired me to choose Civil ( in combination with my hatred of all things chemistry).

Engg 233 : As I said, pay attention in lecture, but most importantly, do all the labs. If you just copy other peoples labs, your screwed. Labs are definitely the best resource for this class.

Engg 251/253: What a frickin waste of time. Sure its easy, but man is it ever stupid. Just remember to write random stuff in your logbook, and actually do Q of the Wk, and you'll be fine.

Physics 259: For me, the hardest class in 1st yr. I still have no idea what any of the concepts were about, and all through the year, I was extremely confused. Didn't help that every single teacher for this class was extremely incompetent. I somehow got a B-, this I only attribute to the fact that most of the other students understood it less than me. Just for the record, I probably completed less than 35% of the questions on both the midterm, and final, and somehow got what I did. That right there says it all.

Math 221: God I loved this course. My only A in 1st yr. Soooo easy, its just basic math , done 4 or 9 times (in a matrix). Don't see how anyone could not ace this class, unless they dont go to any lectures.

So anyways, all I can say is, attend every lecture and lab. I probably only missed a handful of lecs and labs all year, and I took notes in every single class (except phys 259, because the teacher was so dumb that his notes were just gibberish and confused me more). I would recomend taking notes as it helps you retain more information, and keeps you awake, plus you never know when some notes might be handy. But each to his own. Good luck and have fun.

A2VR6
08-30-2006, 05:51 PM

GRST 211 is THE EASIEST option you can take. As long as you take the online version and you know someone who has taken it before and kept the assignments you are practically guaranteed an A+.

GRST is GREAT for a summer/spring course, but during the Fall/Winter the final is a supervised exam vs. the online finals in spring/summer. I took ANTH 201 and it wasnt too bad at all... alot of memorizing tho.

V6-BoI
08-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by andres_mt
Anybody know what 2nd Year Engg is like for Electrical???

second year isn't too bad, most of the zoo profs are generally pretty good, except for Carment :banghead: . Hardest class you will probably encounter is circuits II.

I'll warn all you 3'rd year zoo students, that this year is stupidily hard, so have fun! haha.

Seanith
08-30-2006, 07:33 PM
I don't know why you want other peoples notes so bad. I had a hard time looking at my own notes lol

andres_mt
08-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by V6-BoI

second year isn't too bad, most of the zoo profs are generally pretty good, except for Carment :banghead: . Hardest class you will probably encounter is circuits II.

I'll warn all you 3'rd year zoo students, that this year is stupidily hard, so have fun! haha.

At least we don't have to compete for grades...just pass right??:dunno:

camby
08-30-2006, 08:54 PM
A myth! Every faculty and department has a strong student base along with the weaker ones. Don't be fooled to think once you're in you get the degree. I think in my year, there are only about 60 - 70 EE students (maybe less) and everyone has their act together. Same deal in Chem and Mech.

FiveFreshFish
08-30-2006, 09:08 PM

If you don't work hard to get the grades, you'll have a mediocre GPA. Now when you graduate and are looking for work, who do you think the potential employer will hire: You with a 2.3 or your classmate with a 3.7 if all other things are equal?

A2VR6
08-30-2006, 09:40 PM

Sure... but if you want to get the internship you WANT (if you decide to take internship) then you need to have somewhat decent grades.

V6-BoI
08-31-2006, 01:19 AM

Well if you wanna just move onto the next year, just C's will be good. But like others mentioned, grades do help for internship. But I'll say this, when I was applying for jobs, employers don't just look for grades. I always thought that was bull shit when the internship director said so, but it's actually true. Cuz when a friend and I were looking for internship jobs, I think I had about 3 or 4 interviews before he had 1. And my friend had a grade point average higher than me. Just make sure your resume and cover letter are good.

LuxCars
08-31-2006, 09:05 PM
yeah about them internships...are they worth it, or would you guys just rather finish the 4 years right away?

V6-BoI
08-31-2006, 11:31 PM
Internships are good. You get a year off school to make money, and you get experience as well