PDA

View Full Version : using bucket seats with stock seat belts

REFLUX
04-21-2003, 08:42 PM
is this do-able??

I've seen some bucket seats where the lap/lower-side bolsters are not as high & seem to be able to allow the stock seatbelt (lap portion) to work properly

properly = resting on you

threading the seatbelt through the side bolsters should work as well....

im interested in a bucket seat but dont want to get into the 4pt harness + rollbars/cage

any experiences???

hjr
04-22-2003, 10:28 AM
im pretty sure that the only legal 4 point is a sabelt dot rated one, so you pretty much have to stay with stock. (Ive heard you dont have to use them when you have 4 points, just when you get pulled over switch to the regular belt)

now in your case, i believe you should get seats that have the belt holes in them (on the sides and top, though you wouldnt use the top) http://www.opentracking.com/Sparco%20EVO.jpg like in this pic. If you get the expensive reclinable street seats, then there is no problem. the belts will work fine.http://www.opentracking.com/_borders/sparco.jpg

jdmakkord
04-22-2003, 10:31 AM
schroth makes dot harnesses too. As for sabelt, their cheaper ones definately arent, I found.

hjr
04-22-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
schroth makes dot harnesses too. As for sabelt, their cheaper ones definately arent, I found. true, the cheaper sabelts arent dot approved. You have to check when you buy.

speedracer
04-22-2003, 11:37 AM
DOT is one level but FIA and SFI is another :) Sabelt is a good name.

The belts you should worry would be like weapon'R and some other no name brands...

You can still run a 4point belt without a cage. Obviously a bar directly behind your seat would be better. Do a search on the net as it's quite normal for AutoX and even Solo 1 for people to run the belt from the rear seat belt anchors. (Note I said rear seat anchors and not the floor - floor--> BAD). I'll take a take a snap shot when I get home.

Weapon_R
04-22-2003, 11:38 AM
Depending on the Seat, you could use the stock seatbelt without looking gay.

fachie
04-22-2003, 01:42 PM
i got 4 points and i still have my old belts i just switch when i get pulled over.
when i first got my buckets in i got pulled over and i forgot to install the part that u clip the belt into so i just sat on the end of the belt and the cop didnt figure it out.stupid cop