PDA

View Full Version : Why are Performance Parts for Imports more Expensive then those for Domestics?

Ekliptix
04-21-2003, 09:40 PM
1. Build Quality? - not wrong but possibly arguable
2. More engineering required to get performance out of an already volumetricly efficient motor? - possible

Example:
DC Sport Header - $500
V8 Domestic car Headers - $500....BUT THERE ARE 2 OF THEM

Just thinking.

rsxrsx
04-21-2003, 09:47 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a lager market for imports vs domestics. If so, that would be reason enough for marketers to jack the prices up, cause they know how much we want and will pay for these parts. I know shit just gets more and more and more expensive on a daaily basis :banghead: :

davidI
04-21-2003, 09:50 PM
I'd say because the domestic market requires less R&D ie. The engines are not as technologically advanced. I would also argue that the Domestic part manufacturers have been around for longer than most new, import manufacturers so the market is less volatile.

Ajay
04-21-2003, 09:50 PM
It's all about the demand!

The sport compact market is probably the hottest car market right now. Since it's so popular it's gonna be more expensive for parts because the manufactures know that people will pay the money for them.

TK91GT
04-21-2003, 09:51 PM
I think that its more competition in domestic there are tons of people that make headers for domestics a dozen choices, and only a few for imports thats what I think anyway.

Glowrider
04-21-2003, 09:53 PM
Marketing.

topher91
04-21-2003, 09:54 PM
Ya its all about supply and demand..... we learned that shiet in Hiskool.....just like I learned to type in hiskool:D.

speedyalero
04-21-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
1. Build Quality? - not wrong but possibly arguable
2. More engineering required to get performance out of an already volumetricly efficient motor? - possible

Example:
DC Sport Header - $500
V8 Domestic car Headers - $500....BUT THERE ARE 2 OF THEM

Just thinking.

Headers for my domestic V6 cost me just over 1200$

T5_X
04-21-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by speedyalero

Headers for my domestic V6 cost me just over 1200$

Yup, they'd cost me that much for mine too, and only one manufacturer makes them. Why? My engine is not a popular platform for mods.

It all depends, mods for ford 302 or chev 350 applications are going to be much less expensive because those two engines and the performance scene for them have been around quite a long time.

l/l/rX
04-21-2003, 10:11 PM
speedyalero....prolly cost you more because your's prolly be custom right? unlike camaro headers, which my friend can get for $500 er so. what im saying here is that there are more camaro drivers than alero drivers that are looking into moddifying their car. buuut i dont know thats just comming from a 15 year old
=D

speedyalero
04-21-2003, 10:13 PM
There are 3 that make headers for the 3.4 V6. TOG, SS, and some other company whose name I cannot remember. The ones I bought were the TOG (The Other Guys) ones -- they were the most expensive but they are a trusted name in aftermarket headers and they also put the most R&D into my platform so you have to pay for that.

EvilNeon
04-21-2003, 10:37 PM
The imports are a fairly small market when compared to the old dinosaurs. Furthermore the product for the domestics have already been designed and now it's pure profit. There is also more competition and higher volume in the old motor market.

Look at the small block Chevy. It hasn't changed a whole lot since the 50's. If you make a part for an SBC you could potentially sell it for decades and have a market of millions of engines. If you make a part for a Honda how long will it be before that engine has been replaced by the latest and greatest and you now have to R&D something else?

The Mustang guys have been getting raped over the past few years on parts for the 4.6 because it is so new and has an unknown longevity.

Marketing certainly plays a part. You can usually figure on $40 - $50 per HP for import / new peformance parts and about $20 - $30 per HP for the older designs.

bol
04-21-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by EvilNeon

Look at the small block Chevy. It hasn't changed a whole lot since the 50's. If you make a part for an SBC you could potentially sell it for decades and have a market of millions of engines. If you make a part for a Honda how long will it be before that engine has been replaced by the latest and greatest and you now have to R&D something else?

:werd:

not much has changed since 1969 on the SBC's and BBC's. Parts have changed grealy, but most of the R&D work was done a long time ago. Theres how many million SBC's floating around? Theres lots of demand, and theres lots of supply. My headers cost me $300? Intake $120? new carb $300? My ignition wasn't cheap mind you... but electronics never are.

5.9 R/T
04-21-2003, 10:52 PM
1. Same shit, different pile.
2. Read Evil Neons post on development vs. overall potential return.

3. It also depends on which company you buy headers from. Some are more expensive then others, for both imports and domestics so you comparing a DC sport header for your teg to some header from some motor that you didn't list doesn't exactly seem well thought out. Basic shorty headers for the R/T run between 300 and 500 bucks, whereas the Mopar full header runs about 800 beans and it goes up from there.

Lump
04-21-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by bol

:werd:

not much has changed since 1969 on the SBC's and BBC's. Parts have changed grealy, but most of the R&D work was done a long time ago. Theres how many million SBC's floating around? Theres lots of demand, and theres lots of supply. My headers cost me $300? Intake $120? new carb $300? My ignition wasn't cheap mind you... but electronics never are.

I would argue that R&D for the SBC/BBC platform is FAR from done - the recent developments in SBC heads has their flow numbers in the 400+ cfm range... and you can buy this year a Ray Franks BBC head that will flow 20% more than the best available head a year ago!

But, 99% of the domestic enthusiasts out there buy the dime-a-dozen parts, and there is a lot of competition for that market.

The reason that import parts are more money is because it is the hype and fads right now and they can charge whatever they want - many of the enthusiasts are new to the performance-aftermarket, and just don't know what shit should cost!

Domestic hot-rodding has been around for a LONG time and enthusiasts are overall more saavy over what they should pay for parts. I wish I had bought stock in cheesy air filters and chrome exhaust tips - I would be rich right now! I read another post on this site where someone paid several hundred US dollars for a huge muffler which is likely subsequentely attached to a 1" exhaust pipe! That's not very effective $/hp! But good money if you are selling it and can convince everyone with an import that they need one!!!

I thought my Lemons headers were expensive - $850US - but they are custom 2 3/8" primaries stepped to 2 1/4" to merged 5" collectors - built to my exhaust port location and deck height w/EGT bungs and individual slip tubes! There is a lot of material and welding involved - I don't know how they can charge that for a puny 4 cyl header!!! :dunno: :eek:

To anybody needing a 4 cyl header that they want that much money for - get someone to build you a custom set! They will fit better and be cheaper!

04blackMAX
04-21-2003, 11:22 PM
cauese nobodys dumb enuff to mod an american car, its like a computer...worth nothing in a week...hahahahah

bol
04-21-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Lump

I would argue that R&D for the SBC/BBC platform is FAR from done - the recent developments in SBC heads has their flow numbers in the 400+ cfm range... and you can buy this year a Ray Franks BBC head that will flow 20% more than the best available head a year ago!

Yes, there will always be more research, it's just that in the older domestic world there will be more manufactuers than you can count on the top of your head that makes parts for SBC/BBC's. Not to mention now with forced induction becoming extremely popular theres going to be way more development spurred as a result!

With a relativly new motor, theres less knowledge about it - and more importantly, the owners generally have more money...

Lump
04-21-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by bol

With a relativly new motor, theres less knowledge about it - and more importantly, the owners generally have more money...

A motor is a motor is a motor... get the picture? Once they make a design for a billet rod for a certain application for example, the cost SHOULD go down. It's the same shit, new to you maybe, but the basics are the same. They just throw some crazy brand names in front of the parts and say they are reinventing the wheel... :rolleyes:

The owners have more money? Hmmm... Ok. How do you figure? It's more likely that they don't know better so they spend what the manufacturers say it's worth. There are PLENTY of people with domestics that have money... sheesh. I could buy any new import for what I have in my domestic engine. :nut:

bol
04-21-2003, 11:56 PM

A motor is a motor is a motor... get the picture? Once they make a design for a billet rod for a certain application for example, the cost SHOULD go down. It's the same shit, new to you maybe, but the basics are the same. They just throw some crazy brand names in front of the parts and say they are reinventing the wheel... :rolleyes:

The owners have more money? Hmmm... Ok. How do you figure? It's more likely that they don't know better so they spend what the manufacturers say it's worth. There are PLENTY of people with domestics that have money... sheesh. I could buy any new import for what I have in my domestic engine. :nut:

Yes, I understand all that, but the market has proven that companies can charge way more for import parts because of the illusion of technical advancement and that the owners will pay more for the parts. If you can charge more for a product, and can make more profit - you can't tell me that 99.% of people wouldn't do just that.

Companies have to offset the costs of R&D into their products, in the *GENERAL* domestic world(mostly refering to SBC's here) that work has been done, and the price offset. With newer vehicles they have to start from scratch for most motors, asuming you're buying quality products. They have to offset that cost somehow.

But what doesn't make sense to me is how companies justifiy charging $500 for a K&N cone and a peice of bent piping? $900 for a muffler? It's not like a lot of hard R&D went into many of these things, but they were 'designed' for a specific car and the owners are willing to pay for it... using new BMW's as an example here

Lump
04-22-2003, 12:19 AM
I agree 100%.

I'm not joking - I should go into business making some of that import bolt-on shit! What's the next fad going to be after the next fast and furious movie? I started making those whistle-tips a few weeks too late. LOL

5.9 R/T
04-22-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by vsmSIR
cauese nobodys dumb enuff to mod an american car, its like a computer...worth nothing in a week...hahahahah

That's cause wings just don't look as good on muscle as they do on your car! :rolleyes:

I agree 100%.

I'm not joking - I should go into business making some of that import bolt-on shit! What's the next fad going to be after the next fast and furious movie? I started making those whistle-tips a few weeks too late. LOL

Do you drive that Malibu with the license plate that reads Maliboo?

ZorroAMG
04-22-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

That's cause wings just don't look as good on muscle as they do on your car! :rolleyes:

HAHAHA Nice!:thumbsup:

If you guys think import modding is expensive compared to Domestic, try modding MB's:( A good turbo for my car is 6900 USD for the Kit alone, add install and it just pisses me off :banghead: LOL

I guess Enzo the Benzo is staying NA....W211 E55 is going to have to be the next automobile purchase:burnout: :eek:

speedyalero
04-22-2003, 01:21 PM
Yeah a crappy supercharger for my car is 5K US$. But I can get a turbo custom fabbed for less.

Lump
04-22-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

Do you drive that Malibu with the license plate that reads Maliboo?

Nope. "66 283" 283 cubic inches of fury. :eek:

Lump
04-22-2003, 04:14 PM
And another pic.

5.9 R/T
04-22-2003, 11:25 PM
And another pic.

Thats :bigpimp:!