PDA

View Full Version : POLICE Cars?????

BlkMaxima
08-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Ok, I was having an argument with one of my friends about this. Whether or not police cars have a speed governor, he said that all police vehicles are governed to 180 kph , I said maybe the city ones are but I really doubt the highway patrol cars are. Can anyone clear this up??:dunno:

adam c
08-30-2006, 12:38 PM
did u just finish watchin ff3 or something?

Palmiros
08-30-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm willing to bet (although I don't know this for a fact) that they DON'T. That would be silly. :confused:

IhateDomestic
08-30-2006, 12:43 PM
lol thats only in japan with the 180kph thing

they can do whatever they want here especially with the new police chargers, although i heard somewhere that if they are in pursuit of a car over 100km/h in a busy street or somewhere with traffic they're suppose to NOT chase the car... but iono i bet with the chargers they'll rape anyone running away from them

teggypimp95
08-30-2006, 12:44 PM
cops have a limit of how much over the speed limit they are allowed to do. thats what i was told.

bituerbo
08-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by IhateDomestic

they can do whatever they want here especially with the new police chargers, although i heard somewhere that if they are in pursuit of a car over 100km/h in a busy street or somewhere with traffic they're suppose to NOT chase the car... but iono i bet with the chargers they'll rape anyone running away from them

I thought I read in another thread that CPS is only getting the V6 chargers...
I know what those 3.5L's can (and can't ;)) do.

Traffic_Cop
08-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Police vehicles are not governed at all. Pursuits are down to various department policies, however in general they are forbiden. Most Police cars need a high top end, not just for pursuits but for regular traffic stops. Imagine you are a Police Officer sitting stationary on Hwy #2 and you catch a violator going 160km/h......needless to say you will definately be accelerating hard & fast.

The Police Crown Vic is a bulk standard vehicle from Ford, there are no options for a city or highway car...ie CPS, RCMP, LPS etc all end up with the same vehicle. The only difference can be additional options such as power seats, Police package trunk, pre-wiring etc. Engines are not an option

BlkMaxima
08-30-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by adam c
did u just finish watchin ff3 or something?

No just having a drunken conversation lol (more entertaining than that movie):nut:

topmade
08-30-2006, 12:52 PM
I would bet they are not governed at 180kmph, and agree with the other guy that when public safety is at risk, no chasing is allowed. This is when the fleeing guy driving his little civic hatchback thinks cop cars are slow.

sputnik
08-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by teggypimp95
cops have a limit of how much over the speed limit they are allowed to do. thats what i was told.

Its actually discretionary based on the current driving conditions.

Back in the day I used to listen to police chatter on a trunk tracker and remember hearing a number of chases that were called off because the streets were too wet or because it was snowing too hard. The cops arent going to chase down some speeder with a gram of weed in the trunk if it meant putting themselves or other innocent people in danger.

Traffic_Cop
08-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Its actually discretionary based on the current driving conditions.

Back in the day I used to listen to police chatter on a trunk tracker and remember hearing a number of chases that were called off because the streets were too wet or because it was snowing too hard. The cops arent going to chase down some speeder with a gram of weed in the trunk if it meant putting themselves or other innocent people in danger.

There is NO discretion by the officer at all. If policy prohibits pursuits they will not be undertaken. Pursuits are now being guided by the Province :-

http://www.justice.gov.ab.ca/downloads/documentloader.aspx?id=45375#search=%22alberta%20police%20pursuit%20guidelines%22

BlkMaxima
08-30-2006, 01:08 PM
^^^Link doesn't work

Dayclone
08-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Keep in mind that police officers have lives too they also have families... So what's the point of risking your life when some teenager is doing 160+ mph down a busy road. Rather than chasing a vehicle call in the helicopter to track it down. It's the police policy that they have to stick with.

DoubleLP
08-30-2006, 01:12 PM
Exactly. The chopper can keep up a lot easier then the ground units. It is just useless to try and run from the police now.....you will get caught eventually.

bituerbo
08-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
Police vehicles are not governed at all. Pursuits are down to various department policies, however in general they are forbiden. Most Police cars need a high top end, not just for pursuits but for regular traffic stops. Imagine you are a Police Officer sitting stationary on Hwy #2 and you catch a violator going 160km/h......needless to say you will definately be accelerating hard & fast.

Guy I know in a city who's population was pretty big or small -can't remember was booking it at around 205-210 and caught a blip out of the corner of his eye 5 seconds later he saw cherries in the rearview - disappearing fast.

0-200km/hr for a cvpi is a little over 2 minutes.
200km/hr = 3.3km/min
You've travelled 6.6km before he's matched your speed.
(Yes radio travels fast - but even certain helicpoter abbreviation response time is 2min+ and that's IF it's airborn)

Today's lesson, if you're gonna speed, fucking speed - don't pussyfoot around and get caught!

Next question... would CPS spikestrip a bike?

Evro
08-30-2006, 01:18 PM
the po wrote down my liscence when i was parked, when i asked why they said they wanted to have it on file, silly po

anyway back to the subject

i was told the rcmp cars were pro-charged specifically for the highway pursuit scenario, are there any police rcmp etc... car that are pro-charged or is this a myth?

Evro
08-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo

Next question... would CPS spikestrip a bike?

haha wow thad be crazy, sounds like something police in north korea would do

sputnik
08-30-2006, 01:20 PM

There is NO discretion by the officer at all. If policy prohibits pursuits they will not be undertaken. Pursuits are now being guided by the Province :-

http://www.justice.gov.ab.ca/downloads/documentloader.aspx?id=45375#search=%22alberta%20police%20pursuit%20guidelines%22

Thanks TC

Here is a fixed link.

http://www.justice.gov.ab.ca/downloads/documentloader.aspx?id=45375

Mitsu3000gt
08-30-2006, 01:21 PM
I for sure wouldn't want to be in anything ford makes except the Ford GT doing 180 km/h, especially a crown vic - If it can even reach that speed it probably takes a while. I would be fearing for my life the whole time. That said, I certainly have never tried to see what a crown vic tops out at haha. Maybe next time im in a cab.

08-30-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by DoubleLP
Exactly. The chopper can keep up a lot easier then the ground units. It is just useless to try and run from the police now.....you will get caught eventually.

not if your on a bike:devil:

and I doubt they would spike strip a bike, if your running from the police your going to be going fast, theres no way you would be able to keep control of a bike with both tires blown, you would deffinatly be killed

BlkMaxima
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I for sure wouldn't want to be in anything ford makes except the Ford GT doing 180 km/h, especially a crown vic - If it can even reach that speed it probably takes a while. I would be fearing for my life the whole time. That said, I certainly have never tried to see what a crown vic tops out at haha. Maybe next time im in a cab. :werd: well maybe the new mustang GT

sputnik

I guess what I meant by "discretion" is that the cop chooses (based on the guidlines given to him/her) whether to engage or continue a pursuit and that its not necessarily a mechanical limitation only.

khtm
08-30-2006, 01:32 PM

Yeah rape anyone except a motorbike ;)

andres_mt
08-30-2006, 01:34 PM
Even if you can manage evading the sqaud cars...good luck getting away from HAWCS haha oh yea there's 2 now isn't there??

Traffic_Cop
08-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I for sure wouldn't want to be in anything ford makes except the Ford GT doing 180 km/h, especially a crown vic - If it can even reach that speed it probably takes a while. I would be fearing for my life the whole time. That said, I certainly have never tried to see what a crown vic tops out at haha. Maybe next time im in a cab.
They go at about 220km/h....someone mentioned 2 minutes to get there....that seems kinda long, she'll go 0-100 in about 10 secs and climbs pretty quick after that I would say you are maxed in about 45 secs to 1 minute.

BlkMaxima
08-30-2006, 01:45 PM

They go at about 220km/h....someone mentioned 2 minutes to get there....that seems kinda long, she'll go 0-100 in about 10 secs and climbs pretty quick after that I would say you are maxed in about 45 secs to 1 minute.

So really if its a fairly fast street car like a vette or something, and the guy takes off there's not really a point in chasing him? Cause if those times are true then the police car really has no chance right?

Traffic_Cop
08-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by BlkMaxima

So really if its a fairly fast street car like a vette or something, and the guy takes off there's not really a point in chasing him? Cause if those times are true then the police car really has no chance right?

Pretty much, the only thing we have going for us then is a radio and a lot of driving training. We often deal with a lot of high performance cars with low performance drivers.

1-Bar
08-30-2006, 02:00 PM

Pretty much, the only thing we have going for us then is a radio and a lot of driving training. We often deal with a lot of high performance cars with low performance drivers.

haha, that's the best quote evar!!

dino_martini
08-30-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by andres_mt
Even if you can manage evading the sqaud cars...good luck getting away from HAWCS haha oh yea there's 2 now isn't there??

We only have one chopper. The Police are selling Hawc 1. Everything included, including the spotlight that is worth like 30,000 dollars or something like that.

sputnik
08-30-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini

We only have one chopper. The Police are selling Hawc 1. Everything included, including the spotlight that is worth like 30,000 dollars or something like that.

The CPS is selling HAWC1 so that they can replace it with the same model as HAWC2.

sputnik
08-30-2006, 02:13 PM

Very few drivers can outrun a Motorola.

bituerbo
08-30-2006, 02:48 PM
http://www.car-videos.net/performance/view.asp?ID1=97&ID2=266

The above link is a vehicle with very similar performance figures, (cvpi did not have the 0-120mph statistic)

100km/hr is reached in under 10 seconds. 200km/hr takes exponentially longer as your police interceptor is not geared for 180-200km/hr acceleration, nor are the aerodynamics.

l8braker
08-30-2006, 02:49 PM

Actually, I heard that all of the equipment was stripped off and put on Hawc2 to save money, and Hawc1 will be sold as a base model..

Tid bit: They originally purchased the chopper from a movie studio in L.A., and it appeared in Speed 1. If you listen closely in some scenes, you can hear the roar of Hawc1.

Traffic_Cop
08-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
http://www.car-videos.net/performance/view.asp?ID1=97&ID2=266

The above link is a vehicle with very similar performance figures, (cvpi did not have the 0-120mph statistic)

100km/hr is reached in under 10 seconds. 200km/hr takes exponentially longer as your police interceptor is not geared for 180-200km/hr acceleration, nor are the aerodynamics.

Interesting stats, although the Crown Vic listed is a 1998, the new ones 05 + have the "beefier" engine. I have noticed a huge increase in pick up on our new 06 as compared to the 05, and even more compared to some of the 04's kicking around.

Still cant beat the Chev Caprice with the LT1...best Police Car ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

403Gemini
08-30-2006, 06:23 PM
why would the police pursue if they just get your liscence plate

silly noobs... ;)

even if the vehicle is stolen

Lives of officers + civilians > 1 stolen car

Sorath
08-30-2006, 06:25 PM
i was told if u go faster than 200 kph the cops stop trying and sends hawks after u

barbarian
08-30-2006, 09:04 PM
When they originally got HAWC1, it was made out as the best thing since sliced bread, with the NOTAR system. Did they find it was expensive to maintain or something? I think they got a Huey-derivative chopper now, sound about right?

AllGoNoShow
08-30-2006, 09:17 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So compared to the 1998's which were limited at around 118mph, what are the new 06's like and their new charger buddies like? Same sort of limit or did they smarten up and get some more top end power of out it.

HiSpec
08-31-2006, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by andres_mt

They are selling their first one and aiming to get 700K for it. And using that money to buy a used-new one and adding more toys to it.

Originally posted by barbarian
When they originally got HAWC1, it was made out as the best thing since sliced bread, with the NOTAR system. Did they find it was expensive to maintain or something? I think they got a Huey-derivative chopper now, sound about right?

Idon't think NOTAR is expensive to maintain due to it only flys around the city or slightly beyond city limit. Because it doesn't encounter severe change in climate that airplanes encounters when they fly back and forth between different cities. But like all avionics, they go went they want to go. They don't give you any warnings or signals. Just like the pilot who locked himself out of the cockpit (jammed security door) and let the fresh co-pilot do the landing.

haha you won't believe what a simple strobe light cost... almost 1000 just for the lamp!!

Hipermax_d
08-31-2006, 01:54 AM

you've been watching too much ff3
180km/h thing isnt true
my uncle was going 160 in his aristo when a skyline blew by him going faster than 180 and a police car catching him a few seconds later

Dave P
08-31-2006, 08:39 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

69cougar
08-31-2006, 09:55 AM

DayGlow
08-31-2006, 10:04 AM

Interesting stats, although the Crown Vic listed is a 1998, the new ones 05 + have the "beefier" engine. I have noticed a huge increase in pick up on our new 06 as compared to the 05, and even more compared to some of the 04's kicking around.

Still cant beat the Chev Caprice with the LT1...best Police Car ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New 06 have 235hp and 275 lb-ft of torque.

You can really feel the difference in the acceration. Exhaust sounds better too.

I can attest that the vic can do well over 200km/hr.