PDA

View Full Version : Statistics on Calgary's housing market vs Vancouver

googe
08-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Does anyone have or know where to easily get data to compare the Vancouver market to the Calgary market? Like actual numbers, not like "our oil will be gone in 6 months and the new condos will be done so our prices will drop in half so vancouver is better" or "vancouver is about to have and earthquake so everyone is going to fall into the water and die" ;) Specifically looking for a comparison of appreciation rates.

whodiman
08-30-2006, 01:41 PM
http://www.bobtruman.com/?Aa=cafcb302-3de1-108d-10ab-31709fbec22b

you can find almost anything about Calgary's real estate market on this guy's site.

I've been looking for a vancouver site myself. Post it here if you find one.

sputnik
08-30-2006, 01:46 PM
This site is maintained by a local realtor and constantly posts inventory graphs and average prices from Calgary

http://calgary-housing.blogspot.com/

Here is the Vancouver site.

http://van-housing.blogspot.com/

sputnik
08-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Here is a great image (cut + paste link).

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger2/3451/1420/1600/27leon_graph2.large.gif

sputnik
08-30-2006, 01:52 PM
This is a GREAT blog if you want to laugh...

http://vancouvercondo.info/

googe
08-30-2006, 02:35 PM
thats a pretty crazy graph, but its the american market.

and yeah, youd definitely find vancouvercondo.info funny...i read a bunch of it earlier thinking he might actually have some decent advice, but it soon became obvious that its written by a naysayer renter :)

its hard to find unbiased info. everyone that owns and invests wants to believe good things, everyone that rents or is looking to buy wants to believe in the bubble theory. both sides are pretty stubborn :nut:

sputnik
08-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by googe
its hard to find unbiased info. everyone that owns and invests wants to believe good things, everyone that rents or is looking to buy wants to believe in the bubble theory. both sides are pretty stubborn :nut:

Which is funny because I am an owner (bought a house 3 years ago) and I believe in the bubble.

max_boost
08-30-2006, 04:18 PM
I believe in the bubble but I don't think it will be that bad. Is it really a bargain when you can pick up a house for $100k cheaper but have to pay double the interest to acquire it. :dunno: :nut:

The only ones affected will be who? The first time home owners who bought after the spike. The ones who have just moved here. It'll never go back to pre 06 levels. Who are we kidding here. ;)

Altezza
08-30-2006, 05:04 PM
^^ Although interest rates can indirectly influence the pricing of homes, it's not the only variable.

googe
08-30-2006, 08:02 PM
:hijack: lets not go there again ;) calgary vs vancouver!

sputnik
08-31-2006, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
I believe in the bubble but I don't think it will be that bad.

I dont think it will be that bad either. I am just tired of people blindly saying that Alberta will NEVER go down and how we are invincible in the real estate market. My father-in-law talks like there are tradespeople flooding into Calgary willing to pay $500k for a house.

Then as soon as you say "what if" then people freak out saying that "we could 'what-if' forever about anything".

Perhaps I am just too much of a realist.

4CylFiero
08-31-2006, 08:51 AM
All i can hope is that housing goes down, I live in a seriously nice house with a double garage and pay 1200 a month everything included, all i can get through the bank is a morgage for 190K and truefully I'd be slumming it if i decided to purchase a house. The economy is about boom and bust, these housing prices have to come down quite simply becuase im not willing to pay what most are asking and im sure im not the only one. The ? is how much will it drop.

whodiman
08-31-2006, 09:15 AM
Economonic factors like supply and demand obviously play a part in how much housing prices will move. But I think a really simple factor is "How much does it cost to build a house now?" The cost has gone up quite a bit so even if there/when there is a housing drop , it will only drop to a certain point since it costs way more to build a house now than it did back in the late 80s. this is just my theory.

Audio_Rookie
08-31-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by whodiman
Economonic factors like supply and demand obviously play a part in how much housing prices will move. But I think a really simple factor is "How much does it cost to build a house now?" The cost has gone up quite a bit so even if there/when there is a housing drop , it will only drop to a certain point since it costs way more to build a house now than it did back in the late 80s. this is just my theory.

(opinion)

Yet you can still buy a nice house in other cities and towns for 200k. Even if labor is more expensive in calgary, it dosnt justify anywhere near the amount a house costs now.

Eric G

googe
08-31-2006, 03:03 PM
:hijack: you bastards :rofl: