PDA

View Full Version : Finance or Accounting???

FlamingC19
08-30-2006, 02:41 PM
So Im currently in my second year of University and I am debating what I want to do for a living. Not sure whether I want to change my major from Finance to Accounting or what but I'm wondering what type of suggestions or help I can get from you guys. What are the top jobs from each major pros/cons and what would you guys choose??? Any insight would be great!!!

Thanks Scott

Mckenzie
08-30-2006, 03:10 PM
I went through that crisis also in second year and chose accounting. I now will be working for one of the big 4 firms and doing my CA. Here are a few things for you to consider.

Finance

Pros-

Can make big money in your first few years and from then on
Sexy
You learn a lot about current events and how they influence financial markets
Work can be very interesting

Cons-

Cocky co-workers, teachers and students who think they will rule the world with a finance degree....many hot-heads
Long exhausting hours and high stress in I. banking
Very few jobs compared to accounting
Good jobs are HIGHLY competitive
High stress interviews
You will be chained to excel....no doubt about it

Accounting

Pros-

So many great jobs upon graduation right now...more than there are students
Career path and income are predictable and stable in the first 10 years with a Big 4 firm
Job security ALWAYS there (accountants are first to light the candle and last to blow it out)
Accounting teachers, students and professionals are generally not hot-heads
Co-wokers are all around your age
Big 4 firms are usually top employers in the country year after year
A Canadian CA designation is the most highly regarded and respected accounting designation in the world (a professor who finished his CFA who is also a CA said the CFA was a bunny run compared to the CA program)
The UFE test is one of the most rigorous professional exams in the world
You will be employable ANYWHERE
Travelling opportunities in a Big 4 firm are unlimited...already planning a move to Bermuda potentially when I am done
You get a great picture of the entire company and not just one aspect
No income ceiling ever.....the sky is the limit
You can work part-time doing side jobs for people and it is easy to start your own practice

Cons-

Must get over 'geek' stereo-type
Somewhat boring (but can change very quickly when you go to industry)
Articling period is grueling with long hours during the busy season
Pay sucks for the first year (they see if you can make it first before giving people nearly a 25% raise on average)

There you go....my take on it. I will be looking for an entry into a finance position possibly once I am done my CA but not I banking for sure. I picked accounting and dont regret it for a second.

spyce
08-30-2006, 03:15 PM
Since you are in your second year you should just try to complete accounting in the first semester and then finance in the second semester. That way you can get a little perspective on some of the intro basic stuff and you can see which one you enjoy doing more
I was in that same position when I was in my first year and just left my concentration as Finance. I found after taking both the intro courses that I enjoyed Finance more. I mean, I can do accounting, but Finance is more interesting

jay42w8
08-30-2006, 03:24 PM
"A Canadian CA designation is the most highly regarded and respected accounting designation in the world "

are a CA by any chance? or perhaps a student recruiter :rolleyes: ...i guess the rest of the world has never heard of the american CPA:dunno: ....the rest he says about accounting is true but is NOT limited solely to the CA program though...CGA and CMA can be just as good

mekeni
08-30-2006, 03:28 PM
oil and gas accounting is the best right now... :burnout:

whodiman
08-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Mackenzie's pointers are pretty good..at least from a CA perspective.

Here are some more (you will notice I am not a fan of doing more education)

Finance

Pro: Usually more analysis work and more pay off the bat....if you can get a job.

Once in the field there are many types of financing and opportunities you can do.

You can make pretty good money without your CFA.

Con: If you ever want to be a trader you need to get your CFA.
Much tougher to get a job right out of university if you did not gain any experience during university.
Definitely takes longer to get to an executive position compared to a CA.
Much tougher to get into governments as the union often requires you to have so many classes of certain types (almost always accounting even when the job says finance).

Accounting

Pro: Almost guarenteed a job right out of university.
Easiest way to get into an oil company and once in, you can do whatever.
If you get your CA it is very possible to become exec very quickly (my sister at age 25 is). Almost mandatory to be a CA if you want to be a CFO and your next step up is CEO.
Once you have some experience you will never be jobless.
Getting your designation (CA, CMA, CGA) often qualifies you to manage many other things other than just accounting. I know IT guys who get their CMA and run the business analysis/IT depts.
If you want to get into a unionized environment like federal, provincial or municipal governments then having a degree in accounting pretty much guarantees you have enough classes to get by the requirements set out by their unions where as you wouldn't for a finance degree.

Con: In normal job markets (outside Alberta), it is hard to make a decent salary without a designation.
If you plan on getting your CA, you may hate your job until you get your CA and jump ship (not everyone hates it, but most).
Some jobs hire you conditionally that you are planning to get your designation (no big deal if you really want it).

Things to consider:
Many "finance" positions in a normal market require that you have an "accounting" designation.
If you get any designation finance or accounting you can't go wrong. I work with many CFAs,CA and CMAs. Some of the CFAs are doing more accounting and vice versa while my accounting manager isn't even designated (once again Alberta market).
Because of the large overlap, you may apply for a finance or accounting job but really be doing the other (My title is accounting but I really do finance).
If you are risk averse and don't think you can get a designation than do finance. If you are really risk averse and just want a job guaranteed, then do accounting.

Si_FlyGuy
08-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Funny, I just looked at the CA website earlier today...

Since when did they lower their requirements to 65%, and began accepting students from MRC? Last I heard, CMA transfer credits were set at 74% and CGA at 67%. Weird stuff for such a highly looked upon designation.

jay42w8's right...CAs have this air of arrogance about them...that's okay I'm used to it lol. Maybe I'll get a CA as a second designation if I ever feel like taking a huge paycut for 3 years. :p

I've met incompetent people from all designations. I knew a CMA who averaged 90%+ throughout his studies, but can't get a single employee to stay for more than a year under him. I knew a CA who made critical errors at the first sign of pressure. Same goes for CGAs. Blah...we should all have one designation like the US.

Either way, my serious question is this: Is it possible to get a CA while working in the industry without articling for a CA firm?

jay42w8
08-30-2006, 09:43 PM
the answer is no..u have to do it at an APPROVED training office...and yes the entrance % is 65% for CASB...but in reality...the training firms put that % much higher to hire u...in vancouver its minimum 80% 2 years ago when i was applying...and if u want to be an exec at the big companies...u need ur CA..but thats only because theyve done a better job at marketing themselves...a CGA with the same experience can get the job down just the same if not better IMO

bigboom
08-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by jay42w8
the answer is no..u have to do it at an APPROVED training office...and yes the entrance % is 65% for CASB...but in reality...the training firms put that % much higher to hire u...in vancouver its minimum 80% 2 years ago when i was applying...and if u want to be an exec at the big companies...u need ur CA..but thats only because theyve done a better job at marketing themselves...a CGA with the same experience can get the job down just the same if not better IMO

actually you can...you just have to work in the tax department of that company. Ie. Conocophillips was recently approved as a training office and many other o&g companies are getting approved as well. benefits of this is o&g salary while articling :bigpimp:

Shaolin
08-30-2006, 10:13 PM
Lets not make another thread on whose is bigger in Accounting..

From my personal observation, you can't go wrong with an Accounting degree because you'll always find a job.. with a Finance degree, you might have a bit more trouble finding a job at first.. but once you get in, Accounting and Finance can cross over (unless of course you're in a specialized position).

But McKenzie has some good points.. sometimes what I do is pretty freaken boring because what you do can make you feel very insignificant.. or at least less significant than other depts like Corporate Development, Legal, Treasury, or whatever.. But Accounting can also be fun depending on what type of Accounting you do. Financial Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Tax Accounting, etc..

It's definitely not for everyone.. I'm looking to get out of it by 2008 and go into something else..

I'd say go with an Accounting degree.. and do your CFA or CGA/CMA/CA/CPA.. you 'll get stuck at a lower job in Canada without a designation.

Mckenzie
08-30-2006, 10:57 PM
"A Canadian CA designation is the most highly regarded and respected accounting designation in the world "

are a CA by any chance? or perhaps a student recruiter :rolleyes: ...i guess the rest of the world has never heard of the american CPA:dunno: ....the rest he says about accounting is true but is NOT limited solely to the CA program though...CGA and CMA can be just as good

:rofl: :rofl:

The American CPA is a joke compared to the CA. I know that because I nearly moved to the states to do it and decided not to when I did some research I realized how much tougher and rigorous the CA program was in providing better training....probably explains why there are many Canadian CA's in US companies. Go talk to any of the big four partners in Calgary and they will tell you the same thing.

I'm not trying to slag the other designations either....I am providing a comparison of the higher level and commonly sought after jobs in either concentration. I feel that the CA program is great for larger publc accounting and corporate consulting type rolls, the CMA program is great for management or production type rolls and that the CGA is great for smaller public practice or industry rolls.....they all have their merits and it depends on what the person wants to pursue.

I know family friends who are CMAs and CGAs who do better financialy than some CAs and vice versa so I dont think one is better thatn the other...it is what is more suited for that person.

Not a CA or a student recruiter. ;)

whodiman
08-30-2006, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
Funny, I just looked at the CA website earlier today...

jay42w8's right...CAs have this air of arrogance about them...that's okay I'm used to it lol. Maybe I'll get a CA as a second designation if I ever feel like taking a huge paycut for 3 years. :p

Not trying to sound arrogant...especially since I 'm not even designated but is making 160k/year a huge paycut for you? ..since that is what the average salary of a CA was July 2005 and that figure doubles if you are working outside of Canada.

http://www.casource.com/memberGlobal/initArticleSearchAction.do?id=3&catId=9

Click on Summary Report and you can begin reading the stats on page 2 of this report.

FlamingC19
08-31-2006, 11:22 AM
Alright cool thanks for the info but keep it coming if you can, I like the fact that going into accounting offers some job security in whether or not I will get a job coming out of University, but I also dont want to go into something that I'm going to hate for the rest of my life and that will be as boring as shit. I was looking into getting my CFP or CMA or maybe being a stockbroker. I might even try for 3 more years to get my Law degree. What do you guys think!!!

AndrewMZ3
08-31-2006, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by whodiman

Not trying to sound arrogant...especially since I 'm not even designated but is making 160k/year a huge paycut for you? ..since that is what the average salary of a CA was July 2005 and that figure doubles if you are working outside of Canada.

http://www.casource.com/memberGlobal/initArticleSearchAction.do?id=3&catId=9

Click on Summary Report and you can begin reading the stats on page 2 of this report.

I think by huge paycut for 3 years, he's referring to articling time.

jay42w8
08-31-2006, 03:58 PM
yeah make sure u can live off 30 000 a year :rofl: ...i know ive personally gotten to the point where i cant :(

Si_FlyGuy
08-31-2006, 04:30 PM
yeah make sure u can live off 30 000 a year :rofl: ...i know ive personally gotten to the point where i cant :(

I don't think my neighbour's annoying dog could live off $30,000 a year. Le sigh.

in*10*se
08-31-2006, 04:52 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70971

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73774

:D

read first, then ask questions.

I'll be giving a presentation in association with the HSB co-op office, on What it is to be a CA and FAQs. Its scheduled 3rd week of Sept. Come and see if you learn anything or helps clear a couple things up for you.

FlamingC19
08-31-2006, 05:23 PM
Im thinking Im going get a combined degree cause their's a lot of very similar courses.

jay42w8
08-31-2006, 05:28 PM
if ur really ambitious and wanna make BIG BUCKS...get ur MBA...case closed. :thumbsup:

breen
09-01-2006, 08:48 AM
buck up scotty

whodiman
09-01-2006, 08:53 AM
if ur really ambitious and wanna make BIG BUCKS...get ur MBA...case closed. :thumbsup:

MBA can potential make you lots of money but experience is MANDATORY. Like in the previous posts, CFA and accounting designations are guarenteed good money. CAs are potentially shortcuts to CEO while making pretty darn good money even if you don't.

If you get your MBA but don't pick up lots of experience before hand, you may luck out...or you might not even find a job. I have met guys who couldn't find a job after and MBA because no one hires an MBA for an entry level job yet they had way too little experience for anything executive level. If you get a good intermediate level job and pick up about 5 years experience then the MBA is probably a good choice for you. At my company there are far more CFAs and CAs than there are MBAs. Almost all the execs in our company are CAs and all the senior guys are CAs or CFA (many CFAs as we have a floor full of commodity traders..who make pretty good dough). But this mixture may be due to the nature of and oil and gas company as CFAs are heavily saught after for trading reasons and accountants are just part of the normal process in business. We do have 3 people on my floor that are going for MBAs but one failed his CFA twice and is giving up and the other has his CFA and is doing his MBA for fun (i think he finds all studing easy).

Mckenzie
09-01-2006, 09:07 AM

Case closed? Read above post carefully.

I'm not sure if you realize this but an MBA is only 10 courses different from an undergrad in business....why would it guarantee you big bucks? Numerous MBA grads come out of school and struggle to find job as they rely on their education rather than experience to get hired, when in reality you need the experience. Many employers know an MBA grad is not worth the 100k a year they demand out of school, hence the reason they have a tough time finding jobs. MBAs are suited for executive types who are looking to get into executive type role....the curriculum focusses on strategic development and management of a corporation in an upper level position. You do not get any technical skills and that is the reason why most upper management type rolls are filled with geologists, engineers, CAs and CFAs (in Calgary anyways) as they have technical expertise. Typically an MBA will compliment someones current skill base or furthertheir professional development to take their career to the next level. It does not in any way shape or form mean big bucks.

Si_FlyGuy
09-01-2006, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

I'm not sure if you realize this but an MBA is only 10 courses different from an undergrad in business....why would it guarantee you big bucks? Numerous MBA grads come out of school and struggle to find job as they rely on their education rather than experience to get hired, when in reality you need the experience. Many employers know an MBA grad is not worth the 100k a year they demand out of school, hence the reason they have a tough time finding jobs. MBAs are suited for executive types who are looking to get into executive type rolls....the curriculum focusses on strategic development and management of a corporation in an upper level position. You do not get any technical skills and that is the reason why most upper management type rolls are filled with geologists, engineers, CAs and CFAs (in Calgary anyways) as they have technical expertise. Typically an MBA will compliment someones current skill base or furthertheir professional development to take their career to the next level. It does not in any way shape or form mean big bucks.

Dude..you make a lot of sense, but your perpetual mis-spelling of "role" makes me hungry. :rofl:

whodiman
09-01-2006, 09:15 AM
I must make a slight amendant to the previous comment as it sounds like I am bashing an MBA but I'm not. An MBA can be quite useful under certain circumstances.

Most MBAs require you have experience before you apply to their programs and there is a very good reason for this. As mentioned before there are not very useful in getting your first job as you are either over-educated or underqualified. But they are great for professionals of other majors like Engineers, IT or pretty much anything who want to add more credentials for further advancement.

Having said that the other lady that works as a senior analyst is going for her MBA. BUT, you run into the same dilemna as a regular commerce or business major and that is what should you major in for your MBA. I have heard that a generalist MBA is not that much more useful if you lack job experience. The woman in my department got her position with us because her MBA majors in accounting. So that leads you right back to the original question.. Finance or Accounting.

So if you plan on doing finance or accounting you are probably better off just getting one of the designations as the designations will immediately get you into what you want to do. However if you plan on doing something else the MBA might not be a bad choice. But this is not an HR or Marketing thread, nor do I know much about those fields.

whodiman
09-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

I'm not sure if you realize this but an MBA is only 10 courses different from an undergrad in business....why would it guarantee you big bucks? Numerous MBA grads come out of school and struggle to find job as they rely on their education rather than experience to get hired, when in reality you need the experience. Many employers know an MBA grad is not worth the 100k a year they demand out of school, hence the reason they have a tough time finding jobs. MBAs are suited for executive types who are looking to get into executive type rolls....the curriculum focusses on strategic development and management of a corporation in an upper level position. You do not get any technical skills and that is the reason why most upper management type rolls are filled with geologists, engineers, CAs and CFAs (in Calgary anyways) as they have technical expertise. Typically an MBA will compliment someones current skill base or furthertheir professional development to take their career to the next level. It does not in any way shape or form mean big bucks.

This explanation is probably better than mine and done in much less wording.

Mckenzie
09-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy

Dude..you make a lot of sense, but your perpetual mis-spelling of "role" makes me hungry. :rofl:

haha oops yeah its early...:rofl: :rofl: I'd think I was in elementary school too

jay42w8
09-01-2006, 12:25 PM
ok...u guys may be right :dunno: ...i guess the case is still open for him...haha...glad im past that stage in life

Auditor
09-01-2006, 03:21 PM
I think MBA's are way over-rated! Seems like everyone has one.

pinoyhero
09-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Alright i'm gonna jump in here, as background I did a finance B.Comm and just finished a general MBA. I'll keep the pro and cons to 1 each.

FNCE
Pros - You can make more money from day 1
Cons - You will have a tougher time finding a grat job

ACCT
Pros - Stable progression and pay
Cons - Painful articling period

crazyning
09-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by bigboom

actually you can...you just have to work in the tax department of that company. Ie. Conocophillips was recently approved as a training office and many other o&g companies are getting approved as well. benefits of this is o&g salary while articling :bigpimp:

Where did you hear about this? I heard about it from another student, but I'd imagine you would need to perform audits while articling. How would you get the same experience that you would at a CA firm?

Mckenzie
09-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by crazyning

Where did you hear about this? I heard about it from another student, but I'd imagine you would need to perform audits while articling. How would you get the same experience that you would at a CA firm?

Basically I think they are mirroring the CPA program a bit where you dont have to get your designation in Audit. The requirements have changed considerably now.....check out the CICA website for more info.

in*10*se
09-06-2006, 12:56 PM
http://www.casb.com/index.php3?catid=113

IPSO - ATOS

The CASB program’s combination of competency-based education and simultaneous practical experience mirrors the international trend toward a competency-based education delivery system for accountancy. This trend has enabled the CA profession to create and enhance opportunities to advance the profession nationally and regionally.

The Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA) Qualifications Committee has approved a proposal, submitted by the Western Task Force on Experience that sets forth the framework for a limited three-year pilot for Training in Industry, Public Sector and Other Organizations (IPSO) in western Canada.

The opportunity for CASB students to participate in a partial IPSO option to fulfill the program’s 30-month practical experience requirement presents an opportunity for the experience requirement to more closely align itself with the national shift to competency-based education. The IPSO pilot, one stage in the evolution of Canadian accountancy education to a competency-based system, will also enable a new competency achievement log to be executed and assessed in a “pilot” environment. *

No more than 30 IPSO - ATOs will be allocated by province during the pilot period:

· Manitoba – five – for the current listing of IPSO ATOs in Manitoba, please click here
· Saskatchewan – five – for the current listing of IPSO ATOs in Saskatchewan, please click here
· Alberta – 10 – for the current listing of IPSO ATOs in Alberta, please click here
· British Columbia – 10 – for the current listing of IPSO ATOs in British Columbia, please click here

* The chargeable hour requirements remain unchanged: 2500 total chargeable hours (1250 of which must be in Assurance—of the 1250 hours a minimum of 625 hours must be in Audit. One hundred hours are required in tax.) NB: Alberta and British Columbia have reduced audit requirements but these are applicable only in those provinces and carry restrictions with them. A student must still meet the 1250 assurance hour requirement (i.e. more review hours are accumulated. British Columbia requires 0 audit hours and would issue a “Review Practicing Certificate”. Alberta requires 200 audit hours and then places a practice restriction on the member).

so quick summary

Western Canada is trying a new system where students can article in industry instead of public practice. This is a 3 yr trial period.

there will be only a MAX of 10 new (ATO's) approved training offices in industry.

you used to have to need these hours to get your CA.
30 months of work exp.
min 625 audit hours
min 625 assurance hours
min 100 tax hours

now you can have
30 months of work exp.
min 200 audit hours
min 1050 assurance hours
min 100 tax hours
**however, if u persue this route, you will be restricted in the areas you can practice because of your reduced audit hours**

CA_Student77
11-03-2006, 08:37 PM
For some time I have been reading all the hoo-haw about what's better CA/CMA/CGA/MBA/FINANCE etc etc. It’s come to the point where I’ve decided to finally register and reply.

I think if you are visiting this forum YOU need to take a step back and DECIDE what YOU want out of life, especially from a professional standpoint before YOU listen to the (often) misleading advice you will find on forums like this one.

Each designation and field of study has its own merits, and each is designed for people with different interests, abilities, and tastes. There is no such thing as better or worse, and no sense in attempting to quantify which designation will provide for the largest rewards.

Speaking from a strictly financial point of view, the majority of the wealthiest people in this world don’t even have a college education, let alone a professional designation. Many of them don’t even work all that ‘hard’ in the conventional sense of the word. I know as an articling student, that the clients we have with the most wealth don’t seem to work all that hard, at least in the conventional sense of hours put in the office. In fact, the value they derive is mostly from their innovate vision and creative ideas. And so it should be. The greatest rewards should go to those who risk the most in life, and are willing to take a bold and daring path and create their own destiny. These people have all they do precisely because they wouldn’t give much weight to opinions of others, and if they visited a site like this, they wouldn’t be distracted by all the fuss about which path to take. They already know where they want to be, and make their own path to that destination.

As a starting point, if you want to be filthy rich and don’t care much for a professional calling, get out of whatever you are studying and get into sales, marketing or start your own business. You will be a lot happier and wealthier than instead trying to convince yourself that by studying and working hard at something that doesn’t particularily interest you, you will be rich one day. Also, if you are aiming for an executive position (CEO), again, get out of kidding yourself that a professional designation or education will make it any easier. At the end of the day, the value that you add to the world is directly related to your innovation and vision and these dictate how far you will move up the corporate ladder and how wealthy you will be. I can guarantee that being simply a technical person, who just does what is asked of him/her and not thinking outside of the box will not get you very far – no matter how many hours you put in. And some people are ok with this, and so be it. Business needs all sorts of people and specialties to make it work. But if you expect great things in life, be prepared to change the world in your own calling and place in the world.

That being said, I will briefly discuss each of the professions and give some personal input:

CA’s work very hard, and often are under-rewarded (especially us articling students). It is perhaps the most comprehensive of all professional designations because CA’s are not just in public practice, but also in industry, the not-for-profit sector and government. The reason CA’s command a premium in the market place, besides being the only designation being able to sign off on audits, is precisely because of the level of expertise a CA is expected to have – and thus the hard work to become and be a CA. Audits are the majority of the work of a public practice CA (and articling student) – but there is much more for a CA to do, if he/she so chooses. The possibilities really are endless. But it all depends on what you decide to do with the designation.

CGA’s are also very hard working people. They have a prestigious designation and command high salaries, and many are leading the business world in positions of executive management and in other sectors. The main difference is a narrower focus than that of a CA – they cannot sign off on Audits, and the work itself is directed more so towards industry. Again, there is no limit to what you can do with a CGA. There is no written or unwritten rule that a CA will be chosen over a CGA in any capacity – it all comes down to the value that the individual brings to the world. It is utter nonsense to claim that a CA is better than a CGA, it really does come down to the individual person.
CMA’s are exactly what the name says: management accountants. They have a specialized place in the world of accounting – and the larger accounting world. Again, on a person to person basis, this designation is no better or worse than the others. The fact that the CMA’s and CA’s didn’t merge has more to do with the false pride and ego that many CA’s have as opposed to the professional expertise of CMA’s.

Finance has many different paths, and within each many different functions. The most popular (and difficult) is the CFA. But like I have said time and time again, no one designation is better than another. There are some financial professionals out there without much of a formal education – they just have an intuitive sense of what works and what doesn’t. Again, value is what determines how much you will make, and value has very little with just working hard and studying a certain designation – think Warren Buffet. He’s where he is cause he made his own rules, played the game how he wanted, and went where others were to scared to go.

When it comes down to it, you should pursue what you love to do. The rest (including how much money you will make) will take care of itself. Don’t look for facts or figures or put much reliance on other people’s opinions. Decide where you want to go, and make your own path in that direction. THERE IS NO SECURITY IN LIFE. Arthur Anderson is the best example of this. You can have all the education and experience in the world, but it can be taken away just like that. If you love what you are doing and have a clear vision of who you are and what you want, security isn’t an issue anymore.

So, instead of mulling over small details like starting salaries, average salaries, hours per work, how hard each designation is and isn’t – figure out what you really want, and the rest will take care of itself.

M.alex
11-16-2006, 05:45 PM
They're both dime-a-dozen...nothign wrong with that if you don't mind a relatively dull, lowe-paying job, being like most people out there. Like my stats/actuarila science degree - really dime-a-dozen, and if I just relyed upon that I'd be like most 23yr olds making $40-50K/yr, *maybe* making 100k at the end of my work-cycle.

The real trick is to figure out how to combine it with another field and make your own niche market

For me, that was combining math+finance - there's a high demand for quantitative-based analysis in finance these days. I focusd on monte-carlo and VAR analysis, since that'st he hottest topic today witht he number of blowups that happen because of unmanaged risk.

If you're good with energy-option modeling (e.g., electricity swing options), you can make ~90-100K at enmax/epcor/etc... right out of school, and the sky's the limit from there once u get some experience under your belt.

If you're half-way decent at math, i suggest looking into the UofC's program that combines pure math, stats and finance - I think the UofC is a joke, but you have to learn somewhere, heh.

Originally posted by Auditor
I think MBA's are way over-rated! Seems like everyone has one.

They are, they're the new Bachelor's degreee (like how a bachelor's degree today is basically the new high school diploma)