PDA

View Full Version : Driver's Education

max_boost
08-30-2006, 05:55 PM
My younger brother is looking to enroll within the next few months here. Recommendations on a good place?

Thanks

ga16i
08-30-2006, 06:10 PM
Brian O.Connor School of Driving :thumbsup:

glennc
08-30-2006, 06:13 PM
I went thru a CAA course. They suck. They make you sit there alot... and bore you with stuff.

Really, how stupid does someone have to be to have a 2 hour explanation of the stop sign?

SilverBoost
08-30-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by glennc
I went thru a CAA course. They suck. They make you sit there alot... and bore you with stuff.

Really, how stupid does someone have to be to have a 2 hour explanation of the stop sign?

About as stupid as a typical calgary "bad" driver.

:D

Some of the "educators" I've seen "educating" around this town, need a little course for themselves it seems.

a social dsease
08-31-2006, 12:19 AM
I agree. Last week going up the hill on crowchild Southbound between bow and 17th s, and some idiot in a student driver car cuts me off soo hard i had to sweve into the shoulder to avoid a colision. Arn't they suposed to teach you to do mirror signal shoulder or something? I honked at the idiot and they didn't even give me a wave or something to acknowledge me. The driving teacher didn't even seem to care. Oh well, just another terrible driver on the roads of calgary, beware!

Dehvee
08-31-2006, 12:42 AM
I was thinking of taking it in Chinatown... heard its cheaper there.

marko polo
08-31-2006, 12:43 AM
abba driving school, some brown guy teaches the half assed school. when i went to his driving class i already had my license (doing course to lower insurance) so he just made me drive around a couple classes to random food places and gave me my certificate for defensive driving after like a couple hours of driving and an exam that took me 15 minutes, i definetly reccomend this guy if u want to be lazy as i think if i went to ama i think its somehting like 20 hours in car 20 hours out of car studying or something like that dont really know but alot harder than what i did.

yk_
08-31-2006, 01:19 PM
the school in dragon city is alright. i went there and my instructor was pretty entertaining, inclass wasn't dry at all.

Moonracer
08-31-2006, 02:27 PM
"A" Driving school, AMA or Young Drivers.

Gurpy
08-31-2006, 02:32 PM
Young drivers if you actually want a real good course (or so ive heard)

Foothills was pretty cool though, instructor was good. I'd recommend them. A lot cheaper than AMA/young drivers too.

AllGoNoShow
08-31-2006, 03:00 PM
AMA, may be expensive but it was well worth it. Knowledable instructors, great layouts, you know youve actually spent your money on something/someone useful not some fucking asian place who just wants to sign you off and take your money.

Calgary Police also use AMA for their training for Defensive Driving and possibly other things as well.

Nav13
08-31-2006, 03:40 PM
I got to agree with ^^^ I went to one of those shity driving schools, where as my buddy went to ama. No I dont suck at driving (I think its 65% the person, and 35% what they are taught), but he always has some good useful advice that I was never taught at the shity school.

dj_rice
08-31-2006, 04:33 PM
I went to Prepared....go there..he'll get his license fo sho

Dehvee
08-31-2006, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
AMA, may be expensive but it was well worth it. Knowledable instructors, great layouts, you know youve actually spent your money on something/someone useful not some fucking asian place who just wants to sign you off and take your money.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Originally posted by Nav13
I got to agree with ^^^ I went to one of those shity driving schools, where as my buddy went to ama. No I dont suck at driving (I think its 65% the person, and 35% what they are taught), but he always has some good useful advice that I was never taught at the shity school.

Yeah in that case I won't take it in Chinatown, I'll go do it with the AMA through school or something.

ga16i
09-02-2006, 12:04 AM
I went to AMA 8 years ago when I was 16, and it sucked ass. The inclass instructor didn't know wtf ABS was (someone asked if threhold braking was the same in ABS cars as a car w/o it) and apparently to threshold brake on ABS cars you pumping the brakes :rolleyes: If you ask something a bit more technical, I'm pretty sure you'll get some B.S. answers.

The instructor I got basically just got me to run errands during the "lessons" e.g., bottle depot, dry cleaning, etc. I didn't even get to do a road course w/ pylons and stuff or enter a traffic circle.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Randy's driving school... Very thoughrough (can't spell) school. $300 plus another 70-ish to rent car/do road test. I think it's like 10 hours of driving, 16 hours of class... supposed top reduce insurance 44% (it was even more for me)

He's a great guy, and so is his wife... Home owned, located just across 32nd from CMS (behind the rental place).