PDA

View Full Version : Teeth Whitening mouthwash

00CivicSi
08-31-2006, 07:54 AM
White (http://www.pfizerch.com/product.aspx?id=366)

Anyone seen this stuff yet? I've been using it for a few weeks now and it seems to be working. Coffee stains are slowly fading away. Easyier to use to just pre rinse and brush.

toyboy88
08-31-2006, 03:23 PM
hmm...
didn't know about this before till now, might go and try it :D

shakalaka
08-31-2006, 03:26 PM
Didn't know about it either until now. Which local store can you get those from? Any of em?

adidas
08-31-2006, 03:38 PM
Yea i actually saw this about a week ago but didnt bother buying it since i didnt think its actually gonna work but i might go buy it now after ur review.

you can get it at walmart, london d, shoppers

Ben
08-31-2006, 06:54 PM
I cant see it being all that effective. Perhaps over a month you might see some noticable results. Provided your mouth lasts. They'd have to make it weak enough so that it wouldn't burn your gums and other flesh in the mouth. I bet it causes irritation in a lot of users.

00CivicSi
08-31-2006, 08:39 PM
No burn whatsoever. It's very very mild cause you hafta swoosh it around for 60 secs. It's not really like regular Listerene.

VWEvo
08-31-2006, 09:28 PM
Sorry, hate to burst everyone's bubble, but whitening mouthwashes don't work. Your mind is probably just telling you it is. No harm in trying though.

403Gemini
09-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by VWEvo
Sorry, hate to burst everyone's bubble, but whitening mouthwashes don't work. Your mind is probably just telling you it is. No harm in trying though.

most dentists also say mouthwashes are bogus other than killing bad breath.

killing plaque is a joke. just fucking floss haha

Kirbs17
09-01-2006, 08:32 AM
I just use that Listerene Advanced. It has whitening properties to it. I dont know how effective it is, but It kills my morning breath.

snade831
09-01-2006, 09:10 AM
Why don't you just brush?

VWEvo
09-16-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Kirbs17
I just use that Listerene Advanced. It has whitening properties to it. I dont know how effective it is, but It kills my morning breath.

It doesn't replace brushing, its an adjunct. You still have to floss and brush

Kirbs17
09-16-2006, 01:31 PM

It doesn't replace brushing, its an adjunct. You still have to floss and brush

:rolleyes: Thanks tips. I do both. I just use the mouthwash to have better breath

ashee
09-17-2006, 08:47 AM
It's hard to find a good mouthwash that doesn't make you smell like an alcoholic after you swoosh with it.

VWEvo
09-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by ashee
It's hard to find a good mouthwash that doesn't make you smell like an alcoholic after you swoosh with it.

There are quite a few mouthwashes that don't quite make your mouth feel like alchol after. One being Breath RX. Only available at the dental office, but unbelievably effective, and doesn't contain alcohol.

From a dental point of view, alcohol containing mouthwashes aren't very good partly because they can dessicate the tissues. Its for that reason dentists often recommend mouthwashes that don't contain alcohol. Research has proven that one of the most effective ingredients to fight bad breath is Triclosan, not alcohol. Its the most effective in killing the actual bacteria that cause bad breath. Don't freak out if your mouthwash doesn't contain Triclosan as most in Canada don't, but it's good to know anyways.

hussein
09-17-2006, 10:31 AM
Wow. If it wasn't made by pfizer or have the listerine brand on it, it may not be as convincing.

Originally posted by ashee

wtf hahahaha. An alcoholic?

I love the burn of blue listerine. It gives such a clean feeling, especially after flossing and brushing.

BlueFrenzy
10-11-2006, 02:38 AM
Resident dentist here

These whitening washes are useless. The amount of active ingredient is so minimal that it's negligible. It's one of those tricky marketing things ... like when you buy "Fat-free" products, it in fact can contain fat, just that it has to be under a certain value. Same with the claim of whitening ... as long as it can remove some stain, it is considered whitening. I can add fine grit sand to toothpaste and can call it whitening because it removes stain.

If you really want to brighten your smile, consider bleaching your teeth.

VWEvo, I don't know if you're a dentist but I do agree with the fact that bad breath is due to the bacteria. Triclosan prevents the bacteria from "clumping" ... hence better breath. Tricolsan as of now can be found in Colgate Total.

The one part that I don't agree with is the alcohol dessicating tissue part. Sure it does dessicate but for most healthy people WITHOUT open sores or wounds in their mouths, alcohol containing rinses are perfectly fine. As long as you don't soak your mouth in mouthwash for 5minutes, then you should be ok. 30seconds to 1 minute daily is fine. I actually DO encourage people to use Listerine because as of now, the other products are not proven clinically (company in house lab tests don't count). BreathRX is a good product (but expensive)... it uses an ammonia based bacteriostatic agent that does kill bacteria. Sadly a lot of dentists give into hype ... lots of shitty products get recommended because of sweet sweet advertising.

Alcohol does kill bacteria, Triclosan prevents bacteria from accumilating, BUT if you're not flossing or scraping your tongue, it's still going to smell. For those of you that dont' have a tongue scraper (available at your dentist or drug store), you can use your normal toothbrush or alternatively you can find an old credit card and scrape with that. A gross thing I want you all to try is to floss and then smell the bit of gunk ... horrible stuff. You have to physically remove the bacteria to get better breath. A car analogy is painting over a rust spot ... not going to get rid of the problem, just make it look better .. you have to physically remove rust, then paint.

VWEvo
10-11-2006, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by BlueFrenzy
Resident dentist here

These whitening washes are useless. The amount of active ingredient is so minimal that it's negligible. It's one of those tricky marketing things ... like when you buy "Fat-free" products, it in fact can contain fat, just that it has to be under a certain value. Same with the claim of whitening ... as long as it can remove some stain, it is considered whitening. I can add fine grit sand to toothpaste and can call it whitening because it removes stain.

If you really want to brighten your smile, consider bleaching your teeth.

VWEvo, I don't know if you're a dentist but I do agree with the fact that bad breath is due to the bacteria. Triclosan prevents the bacteria from "clumping" ... hence better breath. Tricolsan as of now can be found in Colgate Total.

The one part that I don't agree with is the alcohol dessicating tissue part. Sure it does dessicate but for most healthy people WITHOUT open sores or wounds in their mouths, alcohol containing rinses are perfectly fine. As long as you don't soak your mouth in mouthwash for 5minutes, then you should be ok. 30seconds to 1 minute daily is fine. I actually DO encourage people to use Listerine because as of now, the other products are not proven clinically (company in house lab tests don't count). BreathRX is a good product (but expensive)... it uses an ammonia based bacteriostatic agent that does kill bacteria. Sadly a lot of dentists give into hype ... lots of shitty products get recommended because of sweet sweet advertising.

Alcohol does kill bacteria, Triclosan prevents bacteria from accumilating, BUT if you're not flossing or scraping your tongue, it's still going to smell. For those of you that dont' have a tongue scraper (available at your dentist or drug store), you can use your normal toothbrush or alternatively you can find an old credit card and scrape with that. A gross thing I want you all to try is to floss and then smell the bit of gunk ... horrible stuff. You have to physically remove the bacteria to get better breath. A car analogy is painting over a rust spot ... not going to get rid of the problem, just make it look better .. you have to physically remove rust, then paint.

I'm not a real dentist, I just play one on TV ;)

j/k ,

Listerine made some pretty stupid claims recently that had to be detracted. They claimed you didn't have to floss which the CDA quickly lashed out at them.

We use Listerine in our office, but i have to say not totally convinced that it is the most effective mouthwash.

As for Triclosan, I'm well aware its in Colgate Total, however no mouthwash in Canada contains it as of now (at least none that i'm aware of)

But all in all, you are definately right. Nothing replaces good ole brushing, proper flossing and some tongue scraping.

BlueFrenzy
10-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Aha ha ... I think I know what Listerine ad you are referring to. The one with Listerine man saying that it's just as good as flossing ... I guess the general public took that as "Yee haw! No more flossing!"

GTS Jeff
10-11-2006, 07:25 PM
As for Triclosan, I'm well aware its in Colgate Total, however no mouthwash in Canada contains it as of now (at least none that i'm aware of)

Except of course...Colgate Total Mouthwash...

01RedDX
10-11-2006, 07:38 PM

Cruz
10-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Ingredients
Water, Alcohol (8%), Hydrogen Peroxide, Sodium Phosphate, Poloxamer 407, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Citrate, Flavors, Sodium Saccharin, Sucralose.

Mmmm. Delicious and nutritious.

VWEvo
10-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

Except of course...Colgate Total Mouthwash...

Is Colgate Total mouthwash available in Canada. I thought it was only available in the US

GTS Jeff
10-11-2006, 10:56 PM

Is Colgate Total mouthwash available in Canada. I thought it was only available in the US Hmm I dunno. I have a little sampler of it in my washroom. Not sure how it got there. :nut: :rofl:

hussein
10-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Maaan I love mouth wash with alcohol. A few shots and I am sleeping like a baby. :nut: :zzz:

Forgot to add, with a big bottle of this stuff in your bathroom, you hardly look like an alcoholic, and its close to your bed.

03_0Z
10-20-2006, 11:32 AM
What about this bleeching. Only your dentist can do it right...must be expensive as shit then

heavyD
10-20-2006, 01:38 PM
Original Listerine FTW! It tastes like medicine but it's the only one that actually kills bad breath. All the fancy mint ones just mask it. I don't even mind the taste.