PDA

View Full Version : Insuring For Someone Else

dazzdillinger
08-31-2006, 01:11 PM
High all, next year, am planning on buying a yamaha r1. Insurance already quoted me for $200. This along with my car insurance will be too much so my question is this.

I will very much like to put the bike in my moms name. She is like 54 on an R1? :hitit: :dunno:

Do i have to give her the cash to purchase the bike then list me as a second rider to the insurance companies?

What i prefer to do is to buy the bike and pay monthly fees myself . This will improve my credit rating. Then give the bike to my mom for her to insure but am still the owner. Is this possible?

Palmiros
08-31-2006, 01:17 PM
+1 also interested in this.
Point being, the bike/vehicle is owned by either me/one of my folks, is it possible to go on as "ocassional" driver? So insurance would be less, this is legal right?

Supa Dexta
08-31-2006, 04:04 PM
BAHAHAH

200? do you mean 2000?

Does your mom have a motorcycle lisence? hah.. ah my, this scheme isnt going to work.. And frankly an r1 is no bike for you, if you need your mom to help out..

Impreza
08-31-2006, 04:11 PM
You'd fuck your mom??:drama: :eek:

the_new_santa1
08-31-2006, 04:14 PM
^:rofl:

:hitit:
thst is not the right comic for that question...especailly right after talking about your mom.....:poosie:

dazzdillinger
08-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Supa Dexta
I will advice you not to judge people you know nothing about.
By your logic and i quote "frankly an r1 is no bike for you, if you need your mom to help out"

Only people with excess wealth should ride high end motorcycles right?
Most folks in here will agree that insurance is the #1 deterent to owning a motorcycle. I plan on paying cash for the bike just to let you know.

First of all my mom used to ride until she was 42 so she is a motorcyclist afterall. Secondly, insurance for her is 30 bucks a month on an r1. I will be stupid to pay $200 when i could pay $30 for the same privilage.

Palmiros, if you live in ontario, you and your preferably male family memeber can go and write the written test. This gives him the right to insure and ride any motorcycle legally in ontario. From there, you can pay that family folk $300 to take his motorcycle training course. You will be the second rider and all will be well. Just remember though that by listing you as a second rider you have the ability to fuck up his insurance rates so be carefull.

And to all of you folks commenting on this sign, :hitit: It was a mistake. All i got to say though is DUDE'S, HAVE YOU SEEN MY MOM? I think you will pay me to NOT hit.:thumbsup:

Supa Dexta
08-31-2006, 10:19 PM
well guess what, I paid cash for my bike as well.. Big deal, I aint rich, but I sure as hell don't need my mom to cover my insurance.. You gotta pay to play, its just the way it is, and what you want to do isnt legal. I'm not e thuggin' on you, just laying it out there. You'll also need gear as well, which doesnt come cheap, its just not a cheap hobby to get into, but is well worth it.. Perhaps this isnt the bike for you, right now? Get something older and smaller for now, get some time under your belt and the insurance prices will come down, provided you arent a hooligan, or get caught anyways. Masked bandit is on here, hes an insurance agent and will know more, look him up in that other insruance thread on this page...

silbergrau330
08-31-2006, 11:40 PM
My fuck is insurance that much? I was quoted around $1000 for a Gixxer 600 at AMA, PS. Sorry to thread jack, does anyone know a insurance company that will insure a rocket (600+) without a car being insured as well?

shakalaka
08-31-2006, 11:43 PM
I am sure you can get listed as occasional driver under your moms name. I don't think it would be completely legal since you wouldn't really be the 'occasional' driver. But I am sure it can be done, and I am sure lot of people do that. Wouldn't know 100% about Ontario laws though, so might want to look into that.

I am sure someone on here can enlighten more on this issue.

shakalaka
08-31-2006, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Kobe

Your buying a bike for say 7,000 or whatever it is worth, and here you are crying about 170$ a year I take it?

He is talking about paying $200 a month! That's what I can infer from his posts anyways.

dazzdillinger
09-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Yes $200 a month is damn right. In ontario, i will be considered to be on the cheap side for a 27 year old with an R1. If you're one of the lucky folks who pay like $50 a year, hey, all power to you.

Supa Dexta, From your post, i concluded that you simply assumed me to be a newbie in this hobby. I have 8 years riding experience. Mostly on viragos, a 250 cc honda and 500 cc kawasaki. Averaged more than 15000 k each year for the past 8 years.
That's why i told you not to judge people you don't know. My question pertained to insurance, not buying an R1 as a newbie.

Dave P
09-01-2006, 11:57 AM
How fuckin stupid do you think your insurance company is? I hope they laugh at you in your face.

Masked Bandit
09-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by dazzdillinger
High all, next year, am planning on buying a yamaha r1. Insurance already quoted me for $200. This along with my car insurance will be too much so my question is this.

I will very much like to put the bike in my moms name. She is like 54 on an R1? :hitit: :dunno:

Do i have to give her the cash to purchase the bike then list me as a second rider to the insurance companies?

What i prefer to do is to buy the bike and pay monthly fees myself . This will improve my credit rating. Then give the bike to my mom for her to insure but am still the owner. Is this possible?

WOW...I wouldn't know where to begin to start shooting holes in this idea. Let's just say that I could make it look like Swiss cheese! The rules in Ontario are similar to Alberta (where I am) and there is no way that this is going to fly. Like Dave P said, the insurance companies are not stupid (Especially Eco.....):D

Insurance companies have thought up ever angle and basically force you to tell the truth. Just about any lie or misleading statement you can come up with will either result in your policy being cancelled or coverage being denied in the event of a claim. If you can't afford the right way...then find another hobby. I'm not bashin' you but insurance is not something you want to screw with.........we're like the mob.

Dave P
09-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Go Team Insurance Go

hahaha

dazzdillinger
09-01-2006, 08:43 PM
My buddies dad rides a cruiser. From time to time, his son rides this same cruiser to my house.

This is exactly what am trying to do to. Matter of fact, My brother spoke to state farm today and this is what they said.

He will be insured on an R1 if he owns the bike. He is 33 so i will give him cash for the bike.Insurance monthly cost is $58 a month and i will be listed as a second rider. The only rule here is that i will not be permitted to ride the bike more than my brother does or else, it voids the insurance. (How the fuck is state farm gonna know who rides the bike more?) Currently my brother has me as second driver on his car as well.

All you guys talking trash about the insurance company laughing at me simply don't know what you're talking about.

Another example is this, back in your teen days, were you able to drive your parents car? It was possible because they listed you as a second or third driver. Same shit with bikes too. State farm told my brother this. Am out.

Supa Dexta
09-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Yes but we're saying is, in the event of a claim your insurance may ask around, ask the neighbours, how often do they see you riding, compared to your mother (or brother now?).. And of course they will find out (its their job and they HATE pyaing for anything.ha), YOU are the one that drives it 99 if not 100% of the time, and therefore are lying about it.. Have you called around to a bunch of places? I ended up calling close to 20 places before finding masked bandit.. Is ontario private insurance companies? I'm not out to bash another biker at all, What I am saying is this plan isn't the best, and you may have to look at other options is all.. good luck...

danno
09-01-2006, 11:15 PM
if you can't afford to ride and pay your own insurance then you shouldn't be on that bike. be responsible and pay up. insurance companies don't do monthly payments on bikes anyway, you have to pay for it all up front. if your 27 and they are charging you 2400 per year you must have a horrible driving record, stick to a slow bike.:guns:

Supa Dexta
09-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Thats not true.. Companies offer different options, pay up front and get a bit of a break, pay 4 quarterly payments, and perhaps even monthly, depending on where you go.. If you cancel early however, its on a scale, you pay more for the good months than the winter, so if you ride half the yr, say april to sept, and then try to get a refund, you will only get a small percentage back, as you used up all the good riding months...

frank_grimz14
12-16-2006, 07:13 PM
I have a horrible record and drive a 929 and i only pay 600/year i have no idea how ur paying that much, thats crazy

eur0
12-16-2006, 07:18 PM
i pay like 52/month, but it is year round (im 21)...if you are that old, i dont see how it can be so much?