PDA

View Full Version : should I import a s2000 or rx-7

Shoebox//Racer
09-01-2006, 11:49 AM
next summer is when i finally get the hell outta school and start working full time w/ salary etc etc... and to treat myself i will be ditching the ol' tank and looking picking up one of these two cars. I have never been/driven in a 3rd gen rx-7 before so i have no idea how it drives. I have been in an s2000 and its so much fun. Its gonna take a while to shifting in that car but i love it.

I plan on keeping whichever one i choose for a long time. Ive heard rx-7s and rotaries in general are notorious for maintenance but if they are well maintained it shouldnt be a problem.

The rx7 has been a fav of mine forever, but after driving and s2000 i have no idea which to choose... I've always wanted an rx7... but the maintenance issues are scaring me off.

Should i Go for what i always wanted or should i choose the more practical more reliable but still tons of fun car?

Would definetly appreciate any feedback rx7 drivers can give me too.

JAYMEZ
09-01-2006, 11:55 AM
You cant use the FD as a full time car. S2000 is a good car , i would go with that.

eur0
09-01-2006, 11:56 AM
you know what to do..

khtm
09-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
You cant use the FD as a full time car. S2000 is a good car , i would go with that.
They're both 2 seater, light weight, high-reving engine cars with tight suspensions. I have no idea why you think an S2k would be a "full time car" and an RX-7 wouldn't? :dunno:

SI_futbol
09-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by khtm

They're both 2 seater, light weight, high-reving engine cars with tight suspensions. I have no idea why you think an S2k would be a "full time car" and an RX-7 wouldn't? :dunno:

are you serious...........................

JAYMEZ
09-01-2006, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by khtm

Lets see , I owned an RX-7 for 2 years . its not a full time car at all. If you dont know what your talking about , dont question someone that does.

Rotory - High Maintance
Honda - Easy to maintain

ninefourfour
09-01-2006, 12:19 PM
FD's are a handful..on the road and in the garage!!! if you dont mind getting ur hands dirty the FD is great...they need a lot of care and maintenance...lots of aftermarket - but once you start modifyin you have to do it the right way or end up getting the engine rebuilt...over and over!!!

Crymson
09-01-2006, 12:54 PM
The FD is a car for FD lovers only, is the impression that I have of the car.

If you want "a sports car" or "a fast car" get the s2000, only get the FD if you love and want the FD, otherwize you'll lose patience with it's intricacies and oddities.

That said, it's a dynamite car, but NOTHING is cheap to replace and good knowledgable labour is hard to find.

If you get the FD -- get another car, and spend 90% of your time driving that because the FD can be expensive to keep on the road. I'm guessing with a high-ish mileage FD (60,000 miles and up, or 100,000 k and up) you'll be paying about 40-50 cents a km including fuel.

My 0.2$ would be go with the s2k. The guy who was living in my house before me, had an s2k that he drove year round with no troubles other than staying out of thick fresh snow.

The FD would be undrivable in winter, and if I SAW someone driving an FD in the winter, i'd probably try to beat some sense into you.

rc2002
09-01-2006, 12:55 PM
An S2K is not a very good choice for a daily driver either. Reliability is there, but it's tiny inside the compartment. It might get pretty claustrophobic being inside such a tight cockpit everytime you want to go somewhere.

Crymson
09-01-2006, 12:58 PM
With the RX-7, you CAN get a set of clubs in the hatch, if you take out the divider and remove the cargo area cover.

No cup holders though.

liquidboi69
09-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Hahahah, I just found it funny that he said:
"'are you serious; how is FD not an everyday car" to Jaymez.

Yea S2k all the way.

S2k = highest customer satisfaction/high reliability/most fun...in alot of JD/other polls.

eur0
09-01-2006, 01:20 PM
is the s2k really that close-quaters? i have checked a similar discussion on honda-tech and most people over 6' seem to be ok with the limited space

Crymson
09-01-2006, 01:22 PM
i'm 6 foot 3, and 220 lbs. I can't heel toe, and i would have a bitch of time getting a helmet on in the FD.

But it's not cramped. You get used to the snugness of the cockpit.

403Gemini
09-01-2006, 01:27 PM
i voted s2000, but id rather have a FD

FD is probably one of my all time favorite cars, even next to super cars. They're just so sexy. Every time i saw james' when he had it my pants felt tighter ;)

I choose the s2000 cause its a better year found vehicle (i guess lol) and is a bit more reliable

Aleks
09-01-2006, 02:11 PM
I thought you were more of a sedan guy. Just import an STi or a Volvo S60R :burnout:

Weapon_R
09-01-2006, 02:12 PM
S2000 - the FD has become dated and its becoming harder to find a good one. Also, the rotary is something that should have died long ago.

Shoebox//Racer
09-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
I thought you were more of a sedan guy. Just import an STi or a Volvo S60R :burnout:

Haha thats what most of the other guys say too, thanks for type casting me into a tank driver aleks ><.

Both of those are waaaaaay outta my price range.

Im probably looking at 25000 cdn at most all said and done with taxes and duties payed.

Evro
09-01-2006, 02:41 PM
i didnt like the frame for the s2k around the windshield, made visibility not great, and im 5 11ish and i did feel a bit cramped - but s2k > rx7 in all disciplines and even though it was kinda tight the seats were soooooo soooooo nice :drool:

Aleks
09-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Shoebox//Racer

Haha thats what most of the other guys say too, thanks for type casting me into a tank driver aleks &gt;&lt;.

Both of those are waaaaaay outta my price range.

Im probably looking at 25000 cdn at most all said and done with taxes and duties payed.

No worries, Just make sure you drive both extensivelly. I drove the S2K and I don't think I could live with that car as a daily driver. Fun as hell tho.

Also by next year you could have an 04 Sti from the states from 22-24K USD easily.

pinoyhero
09-01-2006, 03:49 PM
I'd go s2k, I loved mine and am constantly thinking about getting another. I did drive mine in the winter, Bobby at Tunerworks hooked me up with some great winter tires and the thing was actualy not that bad at all in the snow. The cockpit is relatively small though so if you're a big guy then it would be tough for me to recommend it for a daily driver.

The car is not the fastest thing off the line but is just a riot to drive, I always had fun with it even go for groceries. If you an afford it go with the '02 or newer its got some creture comforts such as a galss back window and a better stereo that I would have liked. My next one will be an '04 though for the increased torque.

Go with the S2k, you've tasted it already.

I had mine for about 18 months and didn't have a sinlge problem with it whatsoever.

khtm
09-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi

Lets see , I owned an RX-7 for 2 years . its not a full time car at all. If you dont know what your talking about , dont question someone that does.

Rotory - High Maintance
Honda - Easy to maintain
I owned an RX-8 for 2 years. So yeah, I do know a bit about rotaries.

And I've driven an RX-7 and S2k, which is why I'm asking. "Full time car" - do you mean daily driver? Both would be a pain, IMO.

JAYMEZ
09-01-2006, 05:57 PM
^^ RX-7s and RX-8s I dont think are simliar at all , you can not daily drive and RX-7 , but you can daily drive an RX-8... If he is on a budget he should go for the honda , if he is willing to put time and money AND have an extra car , go for the FD.

k98303
09-01-2006, 06:35 PM
get a cheap civic as dairy and get the FD! :rolleyes:

gpomp
09-01-2006, 06:58 PM
s2k. unless you want to rebuild your rx7 every year. do you even fit in an s2k with the top up?

Shoebox//Racer
09-02-2006, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
s2k. unless you want to rebuild your rx7 every year. do you even fit in an s2k with the top up?

yep, the seats are a little tight as mentioned above but it feels fine. Wouldnt mind looking at those STI's either though now that aleks mentioned it... but i think im still set on the s2k. Besides... If i drive it for a while and decide to change resale will be pretty good.

gpomp
09-02-2006, 01:28 AM
another vote for the sti

eur0
09-02-2006, 01:40 AM
while an sti would be my choice...it will also cost you 30k cdn imported and all, but again that would be pimp..

Milk2%
09-02-2006, 01:42 AM
i don't understand why people dont think the rx-7 can be full-time...in all means it can...I've seen some rx-7s with plenty high mileage. Its all in the matter of maintence...heck you can drive it full-time if you equip the car with some nice winter rubber. But hands down on picking up a sti or s60r......such nice cars :drool:
if your looking for a fulltime....but actual full-time car that could get away with all conditions....anything awd...heck the new wrxs
are very very nice...and much faster then the 05 models.

Shoebox//Racer
09-02-2006, 01:57 AM
lmao... 25k max people. s2k is not a bad choice for a first car is it? haha... besides... i can always sell it in a year.

Gravy_83
09-02-2006, 12:53 PM
I would say rx7 for teh win :thumbsup:

tony7077
09-02-2006, 01:04 PM
rx-7! just take care of your car..

Gravy_83
09-02-2006, 01:08 PM
i had an rx7 and I did less maintenance on that thing than my fuckin civic. they are great cars just have a bad rap. They drive like a dream and sound like heaven under the hood hehe. just get one and you won't regret it

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-02-2006, 02:26 PM
s2k... or sti if you could afford it... :thumbsup:

Hoey
09-02-2006, 02:45 PM
I like both cars, if it was up to me it would be FD ftw.
BUT, like said up top FD is for an FD lover. Period.
Dont get one because it "seems" to be a cool car, or that its in FNF1 and it looked cool and was fast in the movie.

if you get the FD---DO YOUR FRICKEN HOMEWORK!!!!:guns:

another thing to keep in mind...FDs are getting old:thumbsdow

Having said all those bad things, S2000 just wouldnt do it for me.
FD it is! With the right precautions of course:rofl:

max_boost
09-02-2006, 03:40 PM
S2000 or RX7?

S2000 FTW

Driver oriented cockpit.
High revving machine
Honda reliability
Still looks like sex on wheels
Softop folds up/down in 6 seconds
Nicest/affordable roadster on the market

Otherwise, Impreza WRX FTW. Great car for daily driving. Looks plain inside and out but man it's a such an aggressive drive. It's actually my favorite right now.:thumbsup:

Crymson
09-02-2006, 05:05 PM
rx-7 all the way. I drove out to canmore and back for MitM -- The FD is a dream.