PDA

View Full Version : What "Classic" Games SHOULD I be playing?

Manifesto55
09-01-2006, 04:06 PM
For your reccomendations, please keep in mind, I've only got a computer and a PS2, so please keep your suggestions limited to what I can play on those. Feel free to suggest other games if you can provide a link to an emulator.

Thanks.

pinoyhero
09-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Warcraft 3: DOTA, this will keep you busy for the next 3 years.

Crymson
09-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Define Classic?

For me, Warcraft 3, isn't "classic". That's a fairly recent game.

I think we should define classic for consoles as anything made for a previous gen console.

For PC, we should define it as anything not written to run on win2000/xp ?

cman
09-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Worms is always fun, older sim cities or the sims, starcraft, mario parties for n64, mario kart...

Tik-Tok
09-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by cman
starcraft...

ahh starcraft, nothing more fun then a few hours of backstabbing in that game. lol.

pinoyhero
09-01-2006, 05:55 PM
LOL I used to have great fun back stabbing my buddy while just playing over the phone, hilarious.

BigShow
09-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Punchout on a nes emulator!

b_t
09-01-2006, 08:19 PM
X-COM UFO Defense

totally one of a kind
very hard even on easy
but the single greatest strategy game of all time

AzN'SKillZ
09-01-2006, 08:28 PM
STARCRAFT AND COUNTERSTRIKE

Crymson
09-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by b_t
X-COM UFO Defense

totally one of a kind
very hard even on easy
but the single greatest strategy game of all time

+1 for X-com

Definately one of my all time, top 5 favorite games.

They game is still fun to play, because the graphics were some of the best 2d isometric sprite graphics ever. I still have fun making all my friends as squaddies and watching them advance -- and the research tree was interesting and a unique and novel concept that has been borrowed by many games sinse.

Simply put -- great game, there have been many knock-offs and copy attempts, but nothing really evoked the same love of a game as the first X-com did.

This game was the seminal game in the genre of squad based strategy games, they didn't exist before x-com.

Fantastic game.

Another interesting game, that came along a few years after X-com was "Syndicate" -- if you liked xcom, you may like syndicate.

Also, there is a very hard to find, but very good tank simulator game called "M1 tankplatoon II" the graphics were early examples of 3dfx, but it was the last of an era of good simulators that ended around 1998. Simulators have kind of gone the way of the dodo since the uprising of MMORPGS, RTS games, and the dominance of First person shooters.

The Best 2 Real Time strageties, that are still fun to play, especially with friends on a lan, is Cavedog's Classic 1996 Total Annihilation. This game came out around the time of Command and Conquer red alert, and has never been suprassed in coolness or depth in an RTS since. There is a long overdue remake/sequel coming out called Supreme Commander, which is made by the orginal creator but due to Cavedog being bought and sold, no longer is allowed access to the brand "total annihlation".

The other, real time strategy "classic" is Homeworld , and to some extent Homeworld 2. This game was the frist well done 3d space fleet combat game, with a trememdous fun single player game and backstory. You command a massive mothership, and fleets of battleships, cruisers, destroyers and carriers, supported by squadrons of bombers, interceptors, corvettes, and various support ships. Some very well done star wars and star trek total conversion existed for homeworld which surpassed any offically licensed games due to the elegant and well suited engine of homeworld.

The 1 thing, that makes homeworld, homeworld 2 and total annihilation stand out, even above their blisteringly fun gameplay is that these games had orginal soundtracks and score that would not have been out of place in a hollywood blockbuster. Some of the best music of all time.

So to Sum it up. Play/buy/download, just GET these games.

X-com UFO Defense
M1 Tank Platoon II
Total Annihaltion
Homeworld 1 or 2.

AzN'SKillZ
09-01-2006, 09:33 PM
oh tony hawk pro skater is really fun to if ur good at it.

AJL
09-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Any Super Mario game.
Super Mario All-Stars will keep me entertained for hours.

HHURICANE1
09-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Half-Life & Half-Lfe 2

lexIS300
09-02-2006, 03:48 PM
double dragon

403Gemini
09-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Crymson

+1 for X-com

Definately one of my all time, top 5 favorite games.

They game is still fun to play, because the graphics were some of the best 2d isometric sprite graphics ever. I still have fun making all my friends as squaddies and watching them advance -- and the research tree was interesting and a unique and novel concept that has been borrowed by many games sinse.

Simply put -- great game, there have been many knock-offs and copy attempts, but nothing really evoked the same love of a game as the first X-com did.

This game was the seminal game in the genre of squad based strategy games, they didn't exist before x-com.

Fantastic game.

Another interesting game, that came along a few years after X-com was "Syndicate" -- if you liked xcom, you may like syndicate.

Also, there is a very hard to find, but very good tank simulator game called "M1 tankplatoon II" the graphics were early examples of 3dfx, but it was the last of an era of good simulators that ended around 1998. Simulators have kind of gone the way of the dodo since the uprising of MMORPGS, RTS games, and the dominance of First person shooters.

The Best 2 Real Time strageties, that are still fun to play, especially with friends on a lan, is Cavedog's Classic 1996 Total Annihilation. This game came out around the time of Command and Conquer red alert, and has never been suprassed in coolness or depth in an RTS since. There is a long overdue remake/sequel coming out called Supreme Commander, which is made by the orginal creator but due to Cavedog being bought and sold, no longer is allowed access to the brand "total annihlation".

The other, real time strategy "classic" is Homeworld , and to some extent Homeworld 2. This game was the frist well done 3d space fleet combat game, with a trememdous fun single player game and backstory. You command a massive mothership, and fleets of battleships, cruisers, destroyers and carriers, supported by squadrons of bombers, interceptors, corvettes, and various support ships. Some very well done star wars and star trek total conversion existed for homeworld which surpassed any offically licensed games due to the elegant and well suited engine of homeworld.

The 1 thing, that makes homeworld, homeworld 2 and total annihilation stand out, even above their blisteringly fun gameplay is that these games had orginal soundtracks and score that would not have been out of place in a hollywood blockbuster. Some of the best music of all time.

X-com UFO Defense
M1 Tank Platoon II
Total Annihaltion
Homeworld 1 or 2.

+1 to everything said here. also totlal annhilation you could download units from various websites, upload them into the game and play them :D

Mar
09-02-2006, 06:33 PM
A computer is all you need to play every emulated system up to the PS2 so you're set. I've been addicted to Dr. Mario for months.

Ripper
09-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Lots of good titles mentioned in this post and the other... no one played the civilization series?

slick2404
09-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Syphon Filter 1 and 2 cant remember if tehres a 3rd

Crymson
09-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Ripper
Lots of good titles mentioned in this post and the other... no one played the civilization series?

no DOUBT! i cant' believe i missed this.

probably the best series of games ever made for wasting an entire weekend, closely followed by the simcity games.

pinoyhero
09-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Is civ3 free now, anywhere to download it?

Despair*
09-03-2006, 11:16 AM
If you can get your hands on a copy of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the playstation I would reccomend that! A definate classic imo :drool:

pinoyhero
09-03-2006, 11:26 AM
^Ithink this would be an easy emulator find...

FivE.SeveN
09-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Super Mario Brothers. The ORIGINAL!

2000_SI
09-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Balder's Gate 2:thumbsup:

Sprinter
09-05-2006, 10:43 AM
Contra would be my pick, that game is a great time waster

up. up. down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, select

blitz
09-05-2006, 12:02 PM

X-com UFO Defense
M1 Tank Platoon II
Total Annihaltion
Homeworld 1 or 2.

I also liked Homeworld Cataclysm. Call it Homeworld 1 .1 with a bit of a horror movie twist.

GQBalla
09-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Sprinter
Contra would be my pick, that game is a great time waster

up. up. down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, select

what does that code do?

classic games???/ leisure suit larry@!!

juss kidding - for computer? i would say bw ftw!!

403Gemini
09-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

what does that code do?

kidding right?!

30 man cheat in contra! lol

Oh man i downloaded xcom again and forgot just how freaking hard this game is. i have my uber armor and i STILL get killed in 1 shot haha. Nothing like watching one of your colnols die after like 12 missions and that one guy surviving, only to have 1 stray shot from walking infront of a open door to kill him!!! ARGH!!!

Now my squads down to 1 captain, 2 seargeants and the rest rookies!!! damnit!!!!

.... i love xcom!!! haha

sputnik
09-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by cman
Worms is always fun, older sim cities or the sims, starcraft, mario parties for n64, mario kart...

Scorched Earth > Worms

403Gemini
09-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Scorched Earth > Worms

well DUUUUH ;)

hampstor
09-05-2006, 10:25 PM
sydnicate, descent, C&C, Warcraft, scorched earth, worms, wolf3d, vgap, any old BBS games (ie: LORD, Usurper, BRE, SRE, etc).

szw
09-06-2006, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

what does that code do?

Leisure suit larry was great before the point and click gameplay mode was implemented.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-06-2006, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by blitz

I also liked Homeworld Cataclysm. Call it Homeworld 1 .1 with a bit of a horror movie twist.

Yeah, Cataclysm was a great holdover until HW2 was released. I loved the whole series, still play it from time to time.

Crymson
09-06-2006, 08:50 AM
We should get together for some HW-2 multiplayer! There were alot of good mods, but even stock, that game is FUN 2 v 2 on a big map, esp if the unit caps get tweaked for a carrier, 2 destroyer couple of frigates and massive fightercraft squadrons in a foggy map. Very battlestar galactica.

2000_SI
09-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Anyone ever play that old Mac game Bolo?
http://www.lgm.com/bolo/gallery/snapshots/gilligan.gif

That was the first network game I ever played, and man was it ever fun.

treg50
09-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Star Control 1 or 2 (286)
Interstate '76 (P100)
Dan Dare (C64)
Pool of Radiance (Gold Box Edition) --- SSI (C64)
LSL, Police Quest, King's Quest --- the old Sierra stuff (AT)

So many more classics to list! :thumbsup:

Khyron
09-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Cobra Command (Laser)
Final Fantasy I (NES)
Phantasy Star (Sega Master)
Wonderboy in Monsterland (Mame/Arcade)
Halflife Source/HL2

Total Annihilation and Red Alert II/Yuri's Revenge love them both.

Khyron

hb2k
09-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Wolfenstein 3D hands down.

Sorath
09-06-2006, 12:33 PM
duke nukem 3d

Neil4Speed
09-07-2006, 07:57 PM
I am shocked no one mentioned the Age of the Empires Series. Purely amazing.

Old NFS games were allot of fun too.

soupey
09-07-2006, 08:05 PM
anyone ever play Willy Beamish?

other games

Secret Agent
Jazz Jackrabbit
Fury3
Terminal Velocity
One Must Fall 2097
Doom
Heretic
Duke Nukem
GTA 2

thats all i can remember right now

403Gemini
09-07-2006, 08:07 PM
oh man how could i forget terminal velocity!

oh yea ! tie fighter!

Crymson
09-07-2006, 08:22 PM
X-wing Vs Tie Fighter is an incredible game. One of the most immersive sims out there. AH-68 Apache Longbow 2 was great as well, anything from janes was well done.

HiTempguy1
09-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Super Mario RPG . One of the last games made for Super Nintendo, and it actually has kinda 3-d characters (I'm sure its emulated somewhere). Second best RPG EVAR behind FF7. Oh yea, you want to play FF7 as well. Good luck finding one though! While I'm on the RPG kick, Soikeden 2 (I think thats how it is spelt). Wicked cool game, kickass story line for PS1/2.

Khyron
09-07-2006, 10:42 PM
X-wing Vs Tie Fighter is an incredible game. One of the most immersive sims out there. AH-68 Apache Longbow 2 was great as well, anything from janes was well done.

Loved Xwing vs TIE - is there even a modern Win XP working version/patch? Mine was on floppys if I recall.

Khyron

Crymson
09-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Khyron

Loved Xwing vs TIE - is there even a modern Win XP working version/patch? Mine was on floppys if I recall.

Khyron

I'm not sure, let me know if you find something out though, i'd like to play that again.

Manifesto55
09-08-2006, 10:28 AM
sweet, thanks for all the suggestions so far, time to download some emulators.

SpoonEK9@STRD
09-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Quake 1

BigShow
09-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by 2000_SI
Anyone ever play that old Mac game Bolo?
http://www.lgm.com/bolo/gallery/snapshots/gilligan.gif

That was the first network game I ever played, and man was it ever fun.

DUDE!!!

I loved that game. I remember playing it on my old mac and 28.8 modem, haha... the lag usually wasn't too bad either. Those stationary machine gun things would kill me before the other tanks though :banghead:

Eleanor
09-23-2006, 12:03 PM
chip's challenge is where it's at

nonlinear
03-13-2007, 01:14 PM
LEGACY OF THE WIZARD (nes)

biatches :poosie:

mx73someday
03-14-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by BigShow

DUDE!!!

I loved that game. I remember playing it on my old mac and 28.8 modem, haha... the lag usually wasn't too bad either. Those stationary machine gun things would kill me before the other tanks though :banghead:

Back in high school I made a dozen or so boot disks that would load Bolo and I would bring em to school everyday so we could play at our school's Mac lab...lunch hours never went by so fast....

If someone tried to use the printer on the stupid AppleTalk network, the game would slow to a halt...

If you like turn-based strategy, most Koei games on SNES were worth a week or two of play each. Romance of the Three Kingdoms II & III, PTO, Rise of the Phoenix, Genghis Khan II. And you can't forget Uncharted Waters when you mention Koei.

seer_claw
03-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Decent3 or Decent Freespace. If your into flight sims, they are amazing. The graphics aren't great but for their time they were incredible. I loved Decent3 more simply due to it being in enclosed spaces and being able to fly down curving corridors. Freespace is wide open and as a result your tactics change but still good for dog fights. :thumbsup:

GQBalla
03-14-2007, 02:21 PM
ff7 !!!

Inzane
03-14-2007, 04:44 PM
Another vote for XCom UFO Defense. :thumbsup:

I've never played Descent 3, but really enjoyed the original.

And the original Doom.

2000_SI
03-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by seer_claw
Freespace is wide open and as a result your tactics change but still good for dog fights. :thumbsup:

Freespace 2 is to this day still one of my most favorite games ever. The graphics where great, amasing story line (especially for a Flight Combat Game), and everything about it was so polished, from the customizability of the space ships to the voice acting to the menu layout....

I want a Freespace 3 soooo bad.... Its been a while since there has been a good space combat game...

fast3ddy
03-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Grand Theft Auto 3.

and Bolo was F'n Sweet!!

b_t
03-15-2007, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by 2000_SI

Freespace 2 is to this day still one of my most favorite games ever. The graphics where great, amasing story line (especially for a Flight Combat Game), and everything about it was so polished, from the customizability of the space ships to the voice acting to the menu layout....

I want a Freespace 3 soooo bad.... Its been a while since there has been a good space combat game...

Have you played Eve online? Its my personal favorite MMO by a long shot and also a wicked space combat game, but its more along the lines of Privateer then Freespace.

Artega
03-15-2007, 03:00 PM
X-com was one of the games that was wayyy too hard for me
it's definitely a leader in its class

there's a newer x-com .....i forgot what it's called
but i dont' think it had as big an impact as the first one

Seven cities of gold.....
one of those very oscure game that came with my old 486 computer.
I think it was one of those game pack from Creative
i don't know way, but it got me

there's FF 6 (now ported to GBA)
excellent excellent game, the story line is amazing and music was great (not the game version, but the OST on piano/orchastra)

Warcraft 2/3/FT
Starcraft

Transport tycoon
or if you're resourceful, Locomotion

Alterac
03-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Here is a small sample list of NES games you need to play and beat.

megaman 1-6
Metroid
bubble bobble
kirby
marble madness
excite bike
qbert
balloon fight
blaster master
battletoads
TMNT 1 and 2
Adventure Island and Adventure Island 2
Punch Out!
micro machines
rampage
ninja gaiden
blades of steel
bomberman 1 + 2
SuperC
Contra
Little Nemo the Dream Master
a Boy and his blob
Paperboy
Bionic Commando
Duck Tales
Base Wars
Zelda 2: Adventure of Link
Tetris
Final Fantasy
Super Off Road
RC Pro Am II
Paper Boy
Faxanadu
Startropics
Mario 1 / 2 /3
Crystalis
Final Fantasy
RC Pro Am
Ice Hockey

Damn, tons more too :)

Super_Geo
03-15-2007, 03:54 PM
What the shit????

No one has said Chrono Trigger???? Best SNES game of all time!!!!

Get an emulator and download it. It was king tits back in grade 7... played it again recently while on a 12 hour ferry ride from Venice to Corfu, still king tits!! :thumbsup:

403Gemini
03-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
What the shit????

No one has said Chrono Trigger???? Best SNES game of all time!!!!

Get an emulator and download it. It was king tits back in grade 7... played it again recently while on a 12 hour ferry ride from Venice to Corfu, still king tits!! :thumbsup:

Honestly that and mario rpg were probably my fav games while growin up

Shoebox//Racer
03-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Anyone remember Epic Megagames Pinball?

That was awesome. Jazz Jackrabbit was awesome too.

If you can, try to find Syndicate Plus. So much destruction in that game haha!

A2VR6
03-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Lufia II.... that was a great SNES game... I also liked Grand Theft Auto and Grand Theft Auto 2 for the computer... those were fun as hell.

three.eighteen.
03-20-2007, 10:26 PM
werd, x-com

JAYMEZ
03-21-2007, 01:04 AM
Sim City
War Craft
Star Craft
Duke Nukem 3d Platinum hah
Heretic
Myst
CS
Wolfenstien

HiTempguy1
08-05-2007, 11:11 AM
I just stumbled back across this thread... it would be AMAZING to get a stickied thread going with classic games that everyone can appreciate.

I noticed a couple that I originally recommended mentioned again along with my original suggestions for rpg's (FF7, Super Mario RPG).

Best game EVAR for PC (not quite, but so cool with upgrading and what not). Unfortunatley, I could not get it to play on anything newer than windows 95 (and liked to crash lots on that). I still have the original disc that has wing commander bundled on it.

I still also own Super-Offroad. There was a sequal to it that I haven't been able to find for SNES, that instead of the arcade version you are actually driving the truck/buggy just like in Super-Offroad 64.

bmeier
08-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Super Bomberman for the SNES!!!
Goldeneye for n64

both need to be played with 4 players to maximize fun

googe
08-08-2007, 06:51 PM
rise of the triad
black thorne
deus ex

mdeluxe
08-09-2007, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Ripper

civ 2 is the best, keeps me occupied for years.

go play blades of steel "makes the pass"

mdeluxe
08-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Super Mario RPG . One of the last games made for Super Nintendo, and it actually has kinda 3-d characters (I'm sure its emulated somewhere). Second best RPG EVAR behind FF7. Oh yea, you want to play FF7 as well. Good luck finding one though! While I'm on the RPG kick, Soikeden 2 (I think thats how it is spelt). Wicked cool game, kickass story line for PS1/2.

mario rpg was the shit, love that game
also,

crono trigger
theme park
maniac mansion

treg50
08-09-2007, 09:41 AM
More description of what you mean by "classic" (i.e. year, o/s, etc) and the specs of your "computer" would help. Besides those minor details, you have to play these games:

Face Off
D&D Pool of Radiance (Gold Box series)
Dan Dare
Gunship (the forefather of AH-64 Longbow)
F-15 Strike Eagle
Bubble Bobble (2 player, 100 levels, computer = excellent)
Theme Hospital (first game I knew to feature fart sounds)
Giana Sisters
Quake (the first one)

Those should keep you happy for a while :thumbsup: