PDA

View Full Version : Future Of A CMA?

Lee_8
09-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Just looking for some general advice. First off I’ll start off with my background and some general working conditions. I am a grad of the Bachelor of Applied International Business and Supply Chain Management program from Grant Macewan here in Edmonton. I’ve been working in a materials management division doing purchasing for about a year and half. The pay is good, but I don't see myself being able to progress that much. I just can't see myself being able to do that for the rest of my life.

I was wondering what the opportunities were like for a CMA. I plan to take an applied degree in accounting from Grant Macewan while I continue to work full time. I believe that Grant Macewan is pretty much the equivalent of Mount Royal in Calgary has any one taken their applied degree program in accounting there? The only difference I believe is that Grant Macewan does not allow one to be eligible to be a CA. This is why I am solely inquiring about the future of a CMA. Any input would be helpful. Thank you.

Shaolin
09-02-2006, 01:42 PM
I know quite a few CMAs. Some are in IT, finance, accounting, marketing. You can't go wrong with a CMA. Take the prep course before you write the entrance exam though.

Lee_8
09-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Does anyone have a rough estimate of what the salary is like for a CMA?

Auditor
09-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Depends on what your experience is and where you are working.

FishPoo
09-05-2006, 05:38 PM
https://secure.cma-alberta.com/Hire_A_CMA/Salary_Survey.asp

That's from 2003, you can expect that the rate will be significantly higher in 2006 with the labour shortages and O&G boom.

And yes, it still depends on experience, area/industry you're in, and who you are.

Mar
09-05-2006, 06:21 PM
I read the title and thought you were a singer. (Contemporary Music Award).

Lee_8
09-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the link. Can anyone comment on how hard the entrance exam is? Right now I am contemplating going back to school to take the pre req courses or taking the CMA Accelerated Program to prepare me for the test. From my understanding taking the accelerated program waives the pre req courses that I need. Has anyone taken the accelerated program and the test? If so how did you fare? Thanks to everyone for the help so far.