PDA

View Full Version : Recording Lectures?

beecue
09-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Hey are students allowed to record lectures with a laptop mic or a voice recorder ... my friend in Ontario does it and he says it helps him out and they are allowed to do it .. I wanted to know if we are allowed to at MRC. Thanks

BlackArcher101
09-02-2006, 03:48 PM
It's up to the individual lecturer. Ask first if he/she will allow you to record it.

Kirbs17
09-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Youd better have one good recorder. I can hardly hear some Prof's without a recording device

beecue
09-02-2006, 11:39 PM
ok ... would be nice for reviewing .. haha I will sit in front of the class if they allow it

kaput
09-03-2006, 01:20 AM

chris
09-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Just do it, how will they know?
exactly, i think theres always one huge nerd in everyone of my classes that asks at the beginning of the year. The prof really doesnt care, why would they? Don't you guys use mics/speakers at mount royal?

beecue
09-07-2006, 03:06 PM
lol i dont even need to ... the teachers in all my classes just write everything on the board :)

chris
09-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by beecue
lol i dont even need to ... the teachers in all my classes just write everything on the board :)
some people bust out the camera phone, i know a lot of people in my bio class did

LuxCars
09-07-2006, 06:32 PM
I know at U of C they expect you to get a written consent from the prof before recording him because most things they say are copyrighted.

i imagine it being the same at MRC

D'z Nutz
09-07-2006, 08:20 PM
You're not really supposed to without the consent of the lecturer since all the course material is his or her property. There's a whole lot of privacy issues that come up with recording lectures, like if you record someone who asks a question in class without their permission, you, the prof, the department, or even the school could get in trouble for it if someone makes a big enough stink about it.

I heard somewhere that even if profs provide recorded lectures (ie: those podcast courses), they have to edit out everyone's voices that haven't given permission to be recorded, guest lecturers included.

Don't assume you can just cause you want to.

beecue
09-07-2006, 11:25 PM
^^^ thats what i thought .. so i asked here .. if i ever need to ... i will ask first :) ... lol camera phone .. u gotta be real lazy to do that

herragge
09-09-2006, 03:24 PM
You should probably ask the prof before you do it. Someone asked in my organic chemistry class and he said that it was sketchy because anything that was recorded "could be used against him".

For example they could piece different words together in the recording to get different sayings and possibly sabatoge the prof. However I'm not sure how that would work neways, as the tones of the words would be different...:dunno:

Ask the prof.

Mike

eb0i
09-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by beecue
lol camera phone .. u gotta be real lazy to do that

Actually having a camera/camera phone is great for classes with complex diagrams and such. My genetics proff in the spring even promoted the use of cameras when he displayed complex diagrams.